Jockamo IPA | Abita Brewing Co.

Jockamo IPAJockamo IPA

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: American IPA

Jockamo I.P.A. is a traditional India Pale Ale made with the best pale and light crystal malts that give the beer a copper color and malty flavor. This full-flavored beer is hopped and dry hopped liberally with Willamette and Columbus hops from the Pacific Northwest and has a 6.5% A.B.V. The spicy aroma of the hops contrasts nicely with the pleasant sweetness of the malts. Jockamo has a flavor that entices and excites the palate.

Added by Beerbuddha on 10-30-2007

Ratings: 1,668 |  Reviews: 558
1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%

If you have never been to Pinocchio's in Media, PA, you need to visit their bottle shop, which is a misnomer since they always have a wide range of CANs for sale.

My IPA Day rolls on, CAN you dig it?

Jockamo is the phonetic pronunciation of "Giacomo" as in Laura San Giacomo and if you don't dig, groove on imdb.com and especially "Sex, Lies and Videotape", in which she appeared.

What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China, you are probably asking and since I have no idea, let's move on.

The Crack left me feeling the love as some of its foam jumped out to greet me! I love these craft CANs that are filled to the brim - I am definitely getting my money's worth. Man, I have not downed this many successive IPAs in a while and even my Hops Monkey jones has subsided. The Glug netted a finger-and-a-half of dense, tawny head with great retention in the onslaught of humidity. The lacing that began to appear reminded me to get on the horn and rent a jackhammer to remove it all later. Color was a deep orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was odd, it had a kind of garlic/onion twang to it that reminded me of Gubna. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching fullness and the taste was nothing like the nose, so maybe I was mistaken. Instead, it had an earthy quality, more akin to an English IPA than an AIPA. Whoa! The finish really tasted like garlic/onion, so maybe I was not too far off after all. I am afraid I am going to have to dun this one for its lack of info on its packaging. The bottom of the CAN was stamped: "Best By 08/30/12" so freshness was not an issue, nor was storage as it went from Pinocchio's cooler into my reefer. This was kind of disappointing as I usually like Abita's beers, but this one was not making it for me.

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

3.12/5  rDev -9%

Bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice copper-orange color with a thin off white head that fades quickly and not much retenton or lacing. just a nice color really.

Aroma: Piney, spicy hop aroma. Some tangerine citrus zest. Soapy and aromatic. The red malts are noticeable.

Taste: For the most part it's spicy. Similar to a RyePA. Piney with a hint of citrus lying underneath. Juniper berries perhaps supplying some of that piney spiciness along with the hops? Sweetness from the malt variety fairly obvious before finishing with a slightly bitter metallic finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a little higher than average carbonation. It's flavorful, I'll give it that, I just don't like it that much. The flavors are a bit of a mess and the metallic taste just didn't cut it for me. Much better IPA's out there.

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a clear, dark orange-amber color with a decently retained, frothy, cream colored head. Random spots and flares of lace mark the glass. Aromas include tangerine rind, orange juice, lightly sweet caramel malts, and a grainy, grassy overtone. Flavors include biscuity malts and caramel, with citrus and grassy hops lending balance. Medium bodied and moderately carbonated, it drinks easier than its 6.5% would suggest.

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

Nice head over orangish beer. Good lacing. Fresh, clean, strong piney smell. Are there some juniper berries in there? It almost has a gin-like quality to the smell. Very interesting.

The beer has a gin-like flavor too. Juniper berries are the strongest taste, followed by piney hops. It has a lively mouthfeel because of the interesting taste and the decent level of carbonation.

This beer looks and smells good and is an interesting experience, but I'm not fan. I like gin but I don't like gin taste in my beer. I give them props for trying something unique but I wouldn't drink it again.

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

Consumed May 11th, 2012 at The Abita Brewpub, Abita Springs, LA.

Clear golden-brown beer with nearly no head.

Subtle peppery aroma.

Flavor starts with unexpectedly sweet caramel malt and a touch of honey. The finish is marked by strong peppery hops that leave a thin, uniform carpet of bitterness behind.

Well-carbonated and lively in the mouth.

Interesting take on the IPA.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Jockamo IPA from Abita Brewing Co.