Abbey Ale | Abita Brewing Co.

good
Abbey AleAbbey Ale

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Dubbel

Abbey Ale honors the ancient tradition of monks who perfected the art of brewing beer to support the monastery and their "liquid bread". We offer up our support and thank them with a 25¢ donation to St. Joseph's Abbey with every bottle sold of this heavenly brew. Dark amber in color, the aroma of caramel, fruits and cloves invites you to contemplate the creamy head of this "Dubbel" or double ale. Abita Abbey Ale is a malty brew, top-fermented and bottle aged to rapturous perfection.

Added by theboozecruise on 10-26-2008

1.59/5  rDev -56.6%

Iv'e been avoiding this one for a while, after i tried Andygator, i just put this in the back of the fridge. Well, now i'm running out of beer, and i'm too broke to go buy something else.

The hue is quite a bit lighter than any Dubbel i have seen. No big deal, i'm open minded. The head is respectable with a little lacing.

Smell. This is where things start going downhill. It smells like clove, rotten plums, and old moldy bread. Pretty fucking repulsive, if you ask me.

Oh god, this one has a horrible aftertaste. Everytime i breath out, it's like sweet vomit. Tastes really sweet with clove and apple juice squeezed from rotten apples. And then there is some sort of carbonated soda flavor mixed in, like someone mixed some sprite with this beer.

Mouthfeel is the only aspect of this beer that i am not completely repulsed by.

I poured the rest of the bomber down the drain as soon as i finished this review. I didn't even finish a quarter of the bottle.

Sure the price tag was nice ($3.99), but it's not even worth that.

1.62/5  rDev -55.7%

i was always taught if you don't have anything nice to say do not say anything at all...

with that said i am always skeptical of abbita. I got my bottle for free for vol at a homebrew comp.

i did have high hopes for this beer but they were crushed like a Monday at work.

This is an extremely Americanized version of a Belgium dubble.

only good thing i can say is that the proceeds of this brew are donated to a hospital...and that's the only good thing i can say

1.72/5  rDev -53%

To be honest, I was expecting a very underwhelming beer when I tried this. Many domestic attempts at abbey style beers tend to fall flat on flavor and substitute seltzer for effervescence. This beer is, by no means, guilty of those (minor) crimes.

This beer looks and feels like an abbey, which is better than most accomplish, as I said. On the other hand...a single whiff of this made me not want to try drinking it. It has a smell much akin to rotten (not simply ripe) bananas.

Then, it tastes like it smells, which was a big surprise to me. I was still expecting not to get much out of the flavor, but instead, I tried a second and a third sip, and I still picked up a distinctly rotten note to the whole thing.

Next time I see a bottle, I will try it again, but this was not, by any means, a stale bottle...I got it directly from the distributor, so it hadn't been sitting on the shelf somewhere for months. Again, I will give it another chance, and I hope to change my mind.

1.75/5  rDev -52.2%

1.85/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

First off, I'm pretty new to the craft beer scene (and this is my first review). After trying several Belgian Trappists, and a couple American versions of the style (such as Ommegang Abbey Ale, which is one of my favorites so far), I had high hopes for this beer.

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a chalice. At first glance, the beer looks great--a dark reddish brown, with a full thick head. However, that's about all the good I have to say about this beer.

The first thing I noticed that I was disappointed with was the smell. It smells sour, like rancid fruit. This caused me to temper my expectations a bit, but I shrugged and gave it a shot.

The taste is basically just how it smells, except stronger. I'm trying, but its difficult to find something good to say about the flavor of this beer. The higher alcohol content (8%) is hidden well, but honestly, I would prefer more of an alcohol flavor over the sickeningly sweet and sour taste that permeates this beer.

As for drinkability, Abita Abbey Ale has little of it. I managed to get through half the bottle (which I consider an accomplishment) before I had to pour it out. In addition to the offensive taste, it refuses to sit well in my stomach as well.

Sorry to those who enjoyed it, but I didn't care much for this beer. I won't be having it again.

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

2.46/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

220z pry-top brown glass bottle. No date.

Clear amber brown with thin off-white head. Nose is angry and smells like wet charred wood. Toasted or burnt malt, light yeast notes. Palate is ligh- to medium-bodied. Burnt not is hard to get past. Finish is short and sort of corn-influenced.

Three of us tried this to see if it was a technical fault. My interpretation is that the yeast strain was not a fan of something in the grain bill. Drain pour.

Should probably try again.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Not good, tasted exactly like fresh sweet feed that I put out for deer.

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a dark but not opaque garnet brown. Decent dense head with little retention.

Unusual aroma, I swear I smell Worcestershire sauce in the background - this may end up an ingredient in a marinade! Dark bread is here as well. Not a typical dubbel.

Taste is also unusual as the spices carry through. Low sweetness, minor bitter end. The spice is not very pleasant as it is not balanced with a suitable aftertaste. Very low priced, I wished I liked this more as this will be my one and only bottle.

Watched Treme over a few days, wonderful show that felt very authentic. It was difficult to tell what they were drinking in spite of how much they drank which was a lot - music and drink are natural partners. I did not know of Abita so labels from a distance meant little . . . but neon signs shout and they shouted Abita. So here I sit drinking my first and possibly last Abita.
cheers
jd

2.57/5  rDev -29.8%

From a decorated bomber into a large wine glass, Abita Abbey pours a clear caramel with a soapy half inch of off white foam. Offers decent retention and light lacing, holding a surface cap though a bit light in color overall.

Nose is a bit unusual with rotten sweetened banana and an odd spice. Far from inviting in a bad cotton candy sugar sense, yet lessens somewhat with time, though not enough to fully rid the nose of a certain strawberry vomit sense. Weird shit.

Flavor is subdued vs. the nose, thankfully, and yet still has a bit of strawberry milk powder going on; along with more expected malts of a bit of cherry and chocolate. Light in body for the style yet with a good steady carbonation to counter said body in the feel and finish. If ever I were to drink a bomber straight from the bottle, this would be it as an aroma avoidance measure. A second pour is less bad, but the rotten bubblegum carries on in aroma.

An interesting yeast culture going on here. With significant exposure the beer opens up to become rather pleasant. A light malt presence for the style, yet typical for Abita, accompanies a decent feel. Bottom line for me is that the aroma is an insurmountable obstacle for this brew. Bon Chance..

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date. The body was clear of sediment, leather brown in color. The mild tan head faded to a ring too quickly.

Smell was Belgian yeast and spices.

Taste was fruity and spicy. Raisins. Not too sweet but a light brown sugar character. A bit muddy overall. Not a good representation of the style.

Mouthfeel was not as carbonated as one would expect. Medium bodied.

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

pretty sharp looking bomber picked up at papago...

rich hazy amber color with a gigantic soft pale beige head. there is a load of assorted lacing as well as a 'u' shaped ring of foam.

big aroma of overly floral yeast with notes of buttery caramel, toasted nuts and a tart fruitiness similar to white verjus or grape water.

the palate is nearly sticky along with a substance and thickness of yeast. the flavor is rather meh... toasted nuts, lots of caramel, golden raisins, and dried herbs with a spicy alcohol laden finish.

mouth feel is thick with yeast and approaching sticky. medium bodied. 6/3/5/3/12/2.9

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Orangey copper colored with a white head, not very thick or retentive.

Smells sort of citrusy sweet, but rather off compared to very good representations of the style. I would have to agree with some reviewers and say that there is a bit of a tart nose to it.

Taste is similar with the citrus with a faint noticable sweetness. It is more bitter than it should be, and the alcohol is too noticable, taking from the flavor unfortunitely.

It's thin, between light and medium bodied and a bit too carbonated.

It's not undrinkable, but it's not going to be a desired choice. The high alcohol content give the drink a boost as it will get you a nice buzz rather quickly if thats what you are after.

Overall, it's not a great representation of style, and Abita has many other brews that are more than acceptable and rather good. The price point for this doesn't do much justification either.

Abbey Ale from Abita Brewing Co.