Satsuma Harvest Wit

From:
Abita Brewing Co.

Louisiana, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Satsuma Harvest WitSatsuma Harvest Wit
Notes: Real Louisiana Satsumas, golden wheat, oats and the finest barley create Abita Satsuma Harvest Wit. Pale and cloudy, like the haze on a hot summer day, this white beer has a sweet and subtle citrus flavor with a touch of spice that is cool and refreshing.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 163 | Ratings: 352
3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured in a pint glass

Appearance- Straw gold, decent carbonation, with a thite head a finger thick that fades quickly.

Smell- Aromas of orange and clove mix with hints of spice, I think I smell banana. There's alot here that makes you wanna keep sniffing. I really can't decide personally if I like it or not.

Taste- The satsuma taste comes through rather clear with wheat mixing in in a blunt way that seams to create a wall for the orange to crash into. Light spice notes add depth, which I think this beer has alot of.

Mouthfeel- Thin with a little carbonated pop.

Drinkability- I could drink 1 or two in a night, but then I'd definatly wanna switch.

I am a fan of abita beer, and I like this beer. But Strawberry Harvest, and Purple haze are superior.

3.82/5  rDev +11%

A hazy light orange color pour with a thick frothy white head , lively carbonation. Aroma is of wheat malt,biscut,orange zest , and spice. Flavor is suprisingly good , some slight yeasty funk, orange, corriander,and a hint of grassyness , full body for an American made Wit , smooth creamy mouthfeel , a little spice lingering in the fiish , quite sessionable , I could drink quite a few of these at one sittig . A fun try that surpassed expectations .

3.26/5  rDev -5.2%

Satsuma Harvest Wit from Abita Brewing Co pours a cloudy yellow in my glass. Smells of faint citrus and wheat. Tastes exactly the same and it fits well within the style. It's drinkable but not impressive. Average is about right. Could be sessionable on a hot grass cutting day, though.

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

I have had a couple Abita beers before, and wasn't all that impressed. This is their take on the Belgian Wit. Here is the review:

A: Pretty typical for a Belgian Wit. Very light straw color. Very cloudy. Nice head that leaves light lacing on the glass.

S: Again, pretty typical for a Belgian Wit. Light citrus and spice notes. Yeast and wheat. However, there is a very slight vinegar character in there as well. It is very faint, but there.

T: You get lots of wheat. Pretty much the main character of the beer. Citrus is there. The spice comes through in the finish, but you really have to look for it. The vinegar doesn't come through as much in the taste as it does in the smell.

M: Very light and very smooth. Nice and refreshing.

D: Again, another high point. Belgian Wits, to me personally, are the easiest drinking beers around. Goes down like water. The flavor leaves a lot to be desired, but still easy drinking.

I would say this is a pretty average tasting Wit. The spice and citrus character seem a little too hidden. Not complex or great, but still a decent beer overall. Probably the best Abita beer I have had, but there are far superior and more widely available Belgian Wits around. Worth a shot.

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

Drinking this one right now. Pours a slightly hazy, pale golden color with medium foamy head that leaves a small bit of lacing. Smells of malts, yeast and citrus fruit. Tastes pretty much the same, with the satsuma being subtle but noticeable. Smooth and goes down easy, could maybe session this.

2.76/5  rDev -19.8%

My experience was basically the same as the others reported here. Nothing really special about this one but not a terrible experience either. I was expecting more citrus taste in the beer - something more along the lines of the Strawberry Lager strength of flavor - but it really isn't there. There is a hint of it, however, with some bitterness more reminiscent of a Kumquat than a Satsuma to me.

I will buy it again, probably, as it is very drinkable and refreshing even with the lack of advertised flavor.

3.13/5  rDev -9%

Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with about a finger of white head that quickly dissipates.

Very faint aroma of wheat and some citrus. Nothing exciting but nothing foul either.

Taste is a bit spicy up front and a little more sweetness comes in the finish. Notes of wheat and spices with some light fruit in the background. Actually, I'm not entirely sure I'm tasting the satsuma but there's definitely a faint sweetness coming in from that fruit taste.

Lots of carbonation in this one. Overall, its really just a typical Abita, better than pure macros but quite boring for a craft. The name sounded somewhat creative so I'm just underwhelmed here. I only got a single bottle for about a dollar so I don't regret trying this and it was hot outside so that made it more drinkable. Overall though this isn't something I'll be looking to try again.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Quick review: A bit bitter for a Wit, closer in color than the typical American fruit loop milk (although I have no Belgians poured for verification). Rather sessionable.

I had a sample of this a few weeks ago but had to pick up a six pack so I could get a good opinion of it. I poured it perhaps too hard into a standard US pint glass and had to stop half way through as the head was coming up fast. No lack of carbonation. It appears to be closer to a beer you would look at and call a wit than many of the coriander bombs on the market that taste like (to me) the milk left in the bowl after you eat fruit loops. The head dissipated over the course of a few minutes, leaving sticky traces on the walls of the glass, reducing minimal foam.

The smell is rather distinct for a wit: probablyt a combination of the yeast and whatever hops these beers typically use. I notice oddly enough that it's almost a urine smell. Hmmm. I can smell some lemony citrus in there. I almost ignore it as I expect that to be there.

The taste is smooth, slightly malty, with some bitterness at the end. The citrus notes are very slight.

Despite the huge head I poured, the mouthfeel is medium-thickish. Not so thick to make it hard to get down.

I could drink several of these. They go down easy. It's not going to make my top ten and is not at the top of my witbier list, but I consider it a decent attempt. As with Abita's other seasonal and harvest beers, this beer will likely evolve as the years go by.

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a standard pint.

A: Light, hazy golden color. Heavy carbonation pours into a 2 finger, foamy, white head. Takes a little bit to totally settle, and won't completely until you start to drink. Bubbly carbonation is pervasive. Nice thick spider web and beer ring lacing.

S: Wheat, hay, and a orange citrus. Some indistinguishable (at least to my underdeveloped sense of smell) spice in there as well, maybe basil or clove.

T: The base is a hay or wheat, with a light citrus. You can definitely taste the spice. . .very noticeable, but still subtle. You really taste it in the finish. Grains -> fruit -> spice, is pretty much how it goes.

M: Carbonation is prevalent, also a bit steely. Very light body. Really dry finish.

D: Light body and a really refreshing quality.

Really solid atmosphere. Appearance is very nice, and aroma is light but pleasing. Decent flavor, although subdued. Dry finish. Light body, refreshing. Overall, pretty solid quaff.

3.19/5  rDev -7.3%

I saw this bottled at the local grocery store and picked it up. I had heard a month ago that it would be ready early June, but I was still surprised to see it on the shelves in a high quantity. It pours a almost clear pale-gold color with a small head. It has a strong citrus aroma with not much else. Taste is slightly weak citrus (satsumas) with a spiced/bitter aftertase. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and average carbonation. It's a decent effort by Abita, but I probably won't buy again.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on-tap at the Abita Brew-Pub in Abita Springs, LA. Beer poured an attractive yellow color with nice white head that lasted a little while. Aroma is citrusy, with wheat and coriander coming through. Flavor is almost dominated by the citrus taste. Mouthfeel is good. This is a refreshing beer.

3.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had this at the Abita Brew Pub. The appearance is cloudy, light amber with a very thin white head. Minimal lacing.

The smell is very citrusy, with hints of yeast, wheat, and malts. The taste is strong of satsumas, coriander, and yeast. Somewhat sweet. Mouthfeel is very carbonated; acidic.

This is a drinkable beer, but a little too carbonated. It is in the Witbier style, but due to the strong satsuma taste, it could be classified as a fruit beer.

3.1/5  rDev -9.9%

On tap at the Abita Brew Pub. Pours a slightly hazy gold with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Very little lacing. Smells strongly of citrus, though mostly lemon with little satsuma, from what I can tell. The usual clove and coriander are also there, along with some yeastiness. Smells fake. Taste is again fully citrus and spice. The satsumas don't really add much distinctiveness to it. Highly carbonated. Another mediocre beer from Abita.

Edit---It's no better bottled.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Satsuma Harvest Wit from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 79 out of 100 with 352 ratings