Amber | Abita Brewing Co.

AmberAmber
3.45/5
Okay
AmberAmber

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

Added by kbub6f on 07-08-2001

Ratings: 1,693 |  Reviews: 546

2.25/5  rDev -34.8%

02/14/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Abita is all over town this week for Fat Tues./Mardi Gras. I find this on the cloying side. Leaves both an aftertaste & 'residue' on the tongue that wears out it's welcome. I guess my expectations of a beer are based on the definition of a good guest; nothing should be left but pleasant memories. This one needs a chaser. No need to "release the hounds" but a cool glass of water would be in order.

2.3/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Eh

2.31/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Good copper color, Not much smell, not much taste,watery, like a cheap off brand big brewery beer, feels about the same, I am surprised by the rating on here.
wouldn't get again.

2.32/5  rDev -32.8%

Light amber in color, a good looking beer with nice lacing and high carbonation. Smells of belgian yeast and some caramel sweetness. Taste is the same with a slight bite and the end. Mouthfeel is light and drikablity is moderate. Decent beer, not great but ok.

2.36/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours a cedar mulch reddish brown with little head to speak of. Did not lace the glass at all.

Aroma is mild. Candy like fruitiness from the malt and tiny bit of herbal or flowery hops.

Taste is also very mild, easy drinking and not impressive. There was a metallic aftertaste that was a bit unpleasant.

Really this is a basic beer that's not done all that well. The flaws really come out and shine when the flavors are so muted. I could drink this beer again, but I'd never purchase it for myself.

2.38/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Any craft beer drinker in the New Orleans area knows that if you go to any run of the mill bar, Abita Amber is going to be the one craft beer on tap. It was hard rating this beer because I partly think the taps down on Bourbon street are disgustingly dirty so maybe that is why it doesn't taste that good, but then again I've had this beer from bottles and it still doesn't taste that good to me. I always get it because it is either this or drinking the watered down mainstreams. Each time, however, the story is the same. I take the first sip and I'm like "wow, this beer is pretty good". Tastes like any other generic craft beer lager, but as it gets warmer in your hand that's when it starts tasting like dirty feet.

2.38/5  rDev -31%

2.39/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Maybe this style just isn't for me. It's a little less offensive than Sam Adams Boston Lager, but not much. If I would have known this was a Vienna, I may not have even bought it.

2.4/5  rDev -30.4%

2.4/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured from a bottle with a 11-22 drink by date. The color is a semi- cloudy, light amber color with a good amount of carbonation. It is topped by a one finger white head that falls to a thin top, leaving only small specks of lace.

The aroma is hard to detect, but, I sense some fruity notes and mostly grainy odors. Later in the glass, I noted some earthiness and grassiness.

The taste is mild sweet caramel with little maltiness and hop flavor. There may be some lemon in there. One thing that I can detect is the lager yeast.

Mouthfeel has a dry finish. Would not try this again.

2.41/5  rDev -30.1%

2.43/5  rDev -29.6%

A: a copper color with decent sized head; no lacing on the glass

S: nothing special here but nothing unpleasant; all my nose can pick up is a weak malty aroma

T: this is where the beer is at its worst; there is a weak malty flavor for a few seconds after each sip. However, at the end of each sip an unpleasant peppery bitterness comes through strong

M: it doesn't help that this beer (like many Abita's) is watery

D: if you can get past the peppery aftertaste, this beer is drinkable. When I drink this beer, I find it easiest to get used to the taste by only drinking this beer for the night. The second beer should be enough.

2.45/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.46/5  rDev -28.7%

12oz brown bottle. Freshness date notched on the back label.
It pours an orange-hued amber with a fast dissipating white head.
It smells of hay and sweet malt.
The malt body is on the sweet side, but otherwise sort of bland and flavorless, with just a touch of grassy notes.
The hops are as one with the fizzy effervescence. Am I actually tasting seltzer? A hint of lemony bitterness is noticed with considerable concentration.
This is what I would call a "Why Bother?" beer. Why did they bother brewing something so bland? And why bother drinking it?

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%

I had this one on tap at Players Sports Bar in Madison.

Poured a golden yellow color with quite a bit of carbonation but not a lot of head. Very transparent as well.

Smell was pretty faint malt. Nothing spectacular.

Taste was faint malt with some fruitiness coming through. I wasn't a fan of the taste

Mouthfeel was light and carbonated. Very bubbly beer.

Overall not one of the better beers I've had. Just left a lot to be desired. Not a bad beer, but just not enough flavor for me and maybe too much carbonation as well. Just tasted too fizzy.

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

I had no idea this was an Oktoberfest until I looked here. I just assumed it was an amber. Oh well.

Pours a hazy copper color. Two fingers of plush foam don't stick around for too long.

Aroma is of sweet caramel malt...a light nutty character, too.

Hugely bland flavor. Tastes like toasted caramel malt and water. I'm struggling to remain interested.

Medium body. Dry finish. Slight creaminess.

This just isn't a very flavorful beer. Totally bland. It's really hard to even try to enjoy this. It seems that the best beverage Abita produces is their Root Beer.

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light amber body with a huge, creamy-looking white head that fizzled out in half the time it took to type this sentence.

Smell: Impossibly faint aroma of grains and grapes.

Taste: Quick hint of caramel and grains before a sweet-sour grape flavor kicks in. Oh brother, what a way to kick-off the evening.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Downright watery.

Drinkability: Not very impressive. I didn't enjoy this one at all.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

Amber from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.45 out of 5 with 1,693 ratings