Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Amber | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
AmberAmber

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States | website

Style: Vienna Lager

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

Added by kbub6f on 07-08-2001

3.4

Reviews: 521 | Ratings: 1,602
3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Clear orange-amber color with a bubbley white head. Smells like roasted malts and caramel. Biscuity malts, caramel and some taosted grainy finish. Very clean finish and light to meduim body that makes for great drinkability. Very tasty lager I must say!

2.98/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This lager from New Orleans pours a rich amber-orange color. Quite smooth and malty. Not a lot of hop bite in this one. When friend asked me about this beer, I told him it was like a KIllian's which isn't far from the truth. A bit more complex than that however - a little smokey, nutty. Made by a small microbrewery in Louisiana, has a character that is sort of unique but still nothing extraordinary.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours as described--a very orangey-amber. The color reminds me of the amber color from a tree as in the movie Jurassic Park when they show how a fly or other animal can be preserved for millions of years suspended in amber. It leaves a good healthy head of 1 fingers width and fades to a nice top-coating brush of foam within a few mins.

Smell is malty and slightly sour--which is somewhat Marzen-like. I had thought this beer was just an American Amber. Marzen does seem a better description of the style on this one.

The taste really doesn't seem to have any of the sourness that I noticed on the nose. It is malty and straightforward but not too sticky. This suggests to me that there are enough hops here to really balance it out nicely. I do not know why I hadn't realized this before (probably cuz I wasn't looking for Marzen-like aspects of the beer) , but it would be a nice beer for steaming brats, hotdogs, and such in.

The mouthfeel is nothing special--a little too fuzzy but nothing real negative either.

These things are pretty smooth and highly drinkable. The first time I tried Abita, about 4 yrs ago, I thought it might be a little too sticky or too malty to make it quaffable in larger quantities. I think it has improved in this regard.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer pours a hazy golden amberish color. Medium sized tan white head. Aroma is odd, almost adjuncty with corny notes and corn sugar sweetness. Reminds me of a macro at first but then I get some nice toasty notes in there. Flavor is not adjuncty at all though. Nice vienna malt sweetness with an underlying toasty caramel base. Mild spicy hop prescence eases the sweetness and makes this beer really drinkable. Medium bodied and easy to down, this was a nice little beer. Recommended.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured with a slight haziness. Deep golden orange in color and topped with a thin head of eggshell foam. A pungent bouquet of sour grains is evident when brought up to the nose. Also detected some zesty sweet caramel like malts and dark chocolates. The taste is sweet, smooth and tangy. Light in body that gives up hints of malt texture. This is a drinkable beer and brings a pleasant orangey fruitiness in the finish - along with touches of bitterness. Not bad. Enjoyable.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

This is really an average beer. I have put away many many gallons of this brew while going to school in NO. And it is a solid drinking beer, no more, no less.

It has a unique flavor, more malty than hoppy, with a medium crispness in the mouthfeel. If the flavor were more pronounced, it might make a pretty good beer. But it really does lack a powerful taste, and that is what makes it an average beer.

However, it is only too easy to put away a dozen of these in a night. Drinkability is high.

This beer is average in the bottle. On tap it does taste a bit better.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Clear amber color, good head retention and lacing. Nose is full of roasted nut malt aroma. Lot of nutty flavor, somewhat almond-like. Moderate-low bitterness, just enough to keep it from being sweet. Clean finish. Creamy texture and medium body.

This beer is definitely not an Oktoberfest, but it is quite tasty. Also, I admit that I just happen to love nutty beers.

2.06/5  rDev -39.4%

Another arrival in the Confederate BIF package courtesy of BigLove. The beer poured clear golden amber with a thin fleeting head. The aroma was slightly sweeter than water and the taste was grainy and a bit sour. No character whatsoever in the mouthfeel. No aftertaste.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%

This beer pours a dark orange with a strong head. It goes down easy and leaves a nice lacing on the glass..

The smell is very malty with a hint of hops.

The taste is very malty with a hint of hops and maybe some yeast.

I also had this beer on tap. I must say that having it from a keg is nicer than the bottle. I hope that I get stuck in NO for a few weeks again so that I can get it on tap.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance – This one is a brownish-orange in color with a wonderful head that frothed up nicely. It showed good retention and left some nice lacing on the inside of my Great Lakes Brewing glass.

Smell – The toasted malts and ample caramel were evenly balanced. There was a light biscuit in there along with a touch of citrus hops.

Taste – It tastes a lot like it smells. The toasty malts and caramel make this one. The hops that I thought I smelled are basically gone, which is all right considering the style. I enjoyed the very light biscuit flavor that I got out of this one.

Mouthfeel – This Märzen is light to medium-bodied with a nice balance.

Drinkability – This was good on an unseasonably cold winter night in Seattle so I could only imagine what it’s like on a hot Louisiana day.

Comments – Thanks to BigLove for sending me this above-par offering of a nice German Märzen.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a good winter beer. It is a little on the sweet side but not oppressively so. Has a nice copper color and decent head and lacing. Just enough of a hop presence to offset the carmel malts that likely give it much of its sweetness and color. The yeast gives it a nice fruity/doughy taste and aroma. A decent beer. Not Abita's best IMHO, but a good one none the less.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

The color was betwixt gold and brown. What hit me most on this beer was the head. A silky texture that made me think it was nitro fed.

The nose was a combination of sweet and grassy. I could not discern the strongest taste attribute. The flavor almost disappeared into a soft finish.

On the plus side, it would be very drinkable on a sticky Louisiana night.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Who'da thunk it? Abita Amber isn't an amber ale at all, but an Oktoberfest. At least it's the right season for it. Pumpkin orange with amber edges capped with a pale orangish ecru head that is whipped creamy, decently persistent and sticky enough to lay down a high collar of lace.

The nose is a step down from the appearance. It's moderately toasted caramel malty, but it isn't bold enough or multi-faceted enough to suit me. The flavor isn't a whole lot better. It's malt-dominant (natch) with a lackluster toasted caramel flavor and... not much else. The body is medium for the style and is about as generic as the aroma and the flavor.

Abita Amber is a garden-variety Oktoberfest that makes no horrible missteps, but neither does it impress. It's drinkable as long as one is otherwise engaged and doesn't want to bother with anything even remotely interesting. I drink for flavor though, and by that standard this beer falls noticeably short.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz. short bottle, poured a clear amber color, with a nice two fingers of foam, off-white head of tiny bubbles. Head faded before too long, but remained a thin layer over the top. Toasted malts are heavy in the aroma, with a tiny hint of caramel hidden in there as well.

Toasted malt shows up again in the taste, strong and very prevalent. Clean and crisp to the mouth, seemed a bit thin towards the end, though.

A very drinkable beer. I didn't know it was a Marzen, but somewhat appropriate that I picked it up now. Tasty, and not too heavy. Easily a session beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

This is my second tasting of Abita beer and it's done very well not to offend me. However, it's not an earth-shattering, "WOW THIS IS GREAT BEER" kinda drink.

It poured an uneventful amber with a slight head and lace. But this is where it gets weird. The funky smell reminded me of the aroma that arises from the bowels of a pumpkin at Halloween...is that rotting squash I smell?

Fortunately, the taste was nothing like the smell. If there were ever to be a "beer candy", this would be the taste. It reminded me of a mild beer with rock candy dissolved in it!

The mouthfeel was as uneventful as the color but I found it very easy to drink. I felt an odd burning sensation in my diaphram after I drank it, but that could be the pizza from earlier.

Pours a clear amber colored beer.

Smell is toasted grain and a faint coffee scent.

Taste is a little sweet with lots of toasted grain flavor. There must be a fair amount roasted barley in this. There is a faint chocolate taste in there.

Mouthfeel is good.

A nice tasty beer has a nice full flavor.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

One inch of fizzy, foamy, cream-colored head. Clear, clear, copper-amber beer. Tiny spots of lacing. Peanuts in the nose and front with some tangy caramel. Tangy, malty, sweet middle and a peanutty, bitter finish with a little fruit and a little alcohol. It's ok. Typical Abita peanuts, some decent caramel malt that's really quite sweet. But it's not a great beer.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

This beer is available locally both in the bottle or on tap. The color is a clear honey amber. This is not a heavy ale and is highly drinkable on a hot summer day. Nothing truly distinctive or enjoyable about the aroma. Has reasonable body for this type of beer. Taste is slightly sweet and malty, little hops note. Beer finishes dry with a slight earthy aftertaste that some may find to be offputing. I have noted that the quality is slightly variable or perhaps it is me, but this can be a really enjoyable beer or not so enjoyable. It is a decent alternative to the mass market beers when eating spicy foods and on hot days. Like most beers it is almost always better on tap than in the bottle.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Clear, coppery amber in hue, the color is attractive but a lack of animation in such a translucent beer is sad. A slightly off-white head of a half finger topped off the beer; the head retention was fair as it faded quickly to a weak cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty and it didn’t cling well. The nose is malty but not domineering, somewhat sweet with caramel hints, toasty, earthy at the back. The potency is modest and the aromas are simplistic. It does suggestion German origins but I don’t know if I’d call it a true Märzen. Inviting by default really. Well, the nose didn’t lie. It tastes as simplistic as the bouquet indicated. There is no begin or middle or end, taste-wise. Everything is lumped as one. It is malty sweet with a fair amount of caramel. Pleasantly earthy too, from the hops I assume, mildly bitter. Again, this beer shows its German roots. The more I drank the more biscuity and dry it became. The palate is respectable; while it is plenty tasty it is also very straightforward. Some of this can be expected, as the style dictates. I would image this would be a good beer for beginners, i.e., a crossover beer. The carbonation was a little too stiff and I thought that really hurt the mouthfeel. It was too fizzy, especially considering the smallish frame, medium/medium-light in body. I will say this beer is plenty drinkable, I am sure it would be easy to kill a six-pack and I bet it would work nicely with BBQ dishes. It is not available locally so, thanks to Morris729 for the bottle!

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

A little hazier than their other "cold-filtered" brews. Pours out to a chill haze light caramel...lighter than I would expect for an amber. Forms a small white head with minimal retention and no lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is interesting...begins with an odd touch of smoked malt and cow manure littered pasture, followed by the milk left after a bowl of sugar (ahem..."honey")-smacks cereal. Toasty and odd. No hop aroma going on here. Mouthfeel is thin like cola, and hey, it's cold-filtered..inappropriately light-bodied. Taste is much like the aroma...malts are not predominate, but neither are hops...toasty, toasty, with an odd sassafras and cola note too. Vienna malt in there? This is bizarre stuff. Finish is semi-dry. Very light woodsy bitterness.

A very odd brew. Not a good amber. Weak, artificial, and unimpressive. Pass on this crossover brew and stick with yer Michelob dark.

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

I drank directly from the short stubby bottle, so my impression of the appearance is only average. For an amber this brew was very light and crisp, I am guessing that is due to the spring water. It was quite carbonated too. All in all it tasted good and clean and did not leave much of an after taste.

Not my favorite for an amber, but it was worth the try.

2.46/5  rDev -27.6%

12oz brown bottle. Freshness date notched on the back label.
It pours an orange-hued amber with a fast dissipating white head.
It smells of hay and sweet malt.
The malt body is on the sweet side, but otherwise sort of bland and flavorless, with just a touch of grassy notes.
The hops are as one with the fizzy effervescence. Am I actually tasting seltzer? A hint of lemony bitterness is noticed with considerable concentration.
This is what I would call a "Why Bother?" beer. Why did they bother brewing something so bland? And why bother drinking it?

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Shadowed golden, hinting at amber. The head is offwhite, and whittles quickly to a skim, then endures.
Weakened toasted caramel on the nose. Coupled with a universal sense of dilutedness.
Similiar in the mouth. Brown sugar and caramel up front, all heavily sweet and almost gooey. It flips and goes toasted and dries considerably. Then it just vanishes. Clean and vacant remainder with just splashes of nondescript hop bitterness.
Light bodied. Fizzy and hyperactive up front, before losing momentum and going lifeless in the later part.
This has "conversion" brew written all over it. Either that or "Yawwwnnn".

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Re-review 03/13/05:

Abita Amber was the 2nd review of mine since joining BA, since my tastes have grown I decided it was time for a update. First off, this beer is way better than the original review indicates. The appearannce is a nice caramel amber color with an average head. Aroma is biscuity sweet with a hint of grain. Taste is malty, sweet, but not too sweet. A medium bodied grain taste is noted too. This is very tasty stuff, my tastes sure have grown since I first reviewed Abita Amber. This is something I would consider for sessions.

Original Review 5/08/04:

Maybe this isn't my style of beer or something, but I didn't like this beer as much as previous voting by other AB members would indicate. The malty, semi-sweet after taste slightly turns me off. I do love the healthy appearance of the beer and I am glad to support a semi-local brewery. I will definently be trying other Abita products in the near future.

A-3.5
S-2.5
T-2.5
M.F-2.5
Dr-3

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Abita Amber is easy to come by anywhere in New Orleans proper. If you can get it, try it on tap. I had it at the Abita Brew Pub in Abita Springs, and along Bourbon Street. I'm not sure what hops they use, but would call this an Americanized version of the Oktoberfest style. It's a malty, sweet, amber beer (as it should be). This is one I could, and did, drink a lot of.

Amber from Abita Brewing Co.