Amber | Abita Brewing Co.

AmberAmber

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

Added by kbub6f on 07-08-2001

3.4

Ratings: 1,674 |  Reviews: 541

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light amber body with a huge, creamy-looking white head that fizzled out in half the time it took to type this sentence.

Smell: Impossibly faint aroma of grains and grapes.

Taste: Quick hint of caramel and grains before a sweet-sour grape flavor kicks in. Oh brother, what a way to kick-off the evening.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Downright watery.

Drinkability: Not very impressive. I didn't enjoy this one at all.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

BBD of March 23 (07??? I think)

Pours deep bronze/light amber with a 4 fingers deep white head with some effervescence. Above average lacing & average head retention

S: Bready with a slightlty vegtal/sour/corny scent up front which fades as it warms

T: Slight breadyness & caramel notes up front. Dryness follows along with a little grainyness. Finishes with caramel & toffee sweetness & some grainyness

MF: Medium (barely) bodied with a little pricklyness

Drinks alright, not a bad one to have with some pizza, but so-so as marzens go. Might taste better at 90 degrees with 90% humidity. If I had to guess at the abv, I'd say about 4.7%. That's probably the biggest knock on this beer, too thin/light for the style

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Who'da thunk it? Abita Amber isn't an amber ale at all, but an Oktoberfest. At least it's the right season for it. Pumpkin orange with amber edges capped with a pale orangish ecru head that is whipped creamy, decently persistent and sticky enough to lay down a high collar of lace.

The nose is a step down from the appearance. It's moderately toasted caramel malty, but it isn't bold enough or multi-faceted enough to suit me. The flavor isn't a whole lot better. It's malt-dominant (natch) with a lackluster toasted caramel flavor and... not much else. The body is medium for the style and is about as generic as the aroma and the flavor.

Abita Amber is a garden-variety Oktoberfest that makes no horrible missteps, but neither does it impress. It's drinkable as long as one is otherwise engaged and doesn't want to bother with anything even remotely interesting. I drink for flavor though, and by that standard this beer falls noticeably short.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Re-review 03/13/05:

Abita Amber was the 2nd review of mine since joining BA, since my tastes have grown I decided it was time for a update. First off, this beer is way better than the original review indicates. The appearannce is a nice caramel amber color with an average head. Aroma is biscuity sweet with a hint of grain. Taste is malty, sweet, but not too sweet. A medium bodied grain taste is noted too. This is very tasty stuff, my tastes sure have grown since I first reviewed Abita Amber. This is something I would consider for sessions.

Original Review 5/08/04:

Maybe this isn't my style of beer or something, but I didn't like this beer as much as previous voting by other AB members would indicate. The malty, semi-sweet after taste slightly turns me off. I do love the healthy appearance of the beer and I am glad to support a semi-local brewery. I will definently be trying other Abita products in the near future.

A-3.5
S-2.5
T-2.5
M.F-2.5
Dr-3

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown short with a freshness date marked on back.

Appearance: Clear amberish orange with a bubbly off white lace.

Smell: Delicate malt, both toasted and caramel in the smell.

Taste: Crisp, clean and some what smooth yet medium bodied and malty with a toasted biscuity malt flavour and hints of caramel. Some hop presence of spicy bitterness and a touch of herbal flavour. Some more, yet fading, toasted grain in the end.

Notes: This brew still holds its ground as a classic among the many "micro brews", a down right tasty lager.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

I feel as though The CANQuest (TM) is once more gaining traction! A recent visit to Pinocchio's netted some Abita CANs and I am anxious to give them a try.

I CAN remember one industry professional telling me that "Ambers are dead." By Gar, I hope not! Ambers take many forms and knowing how difficult it CAN be to work with a lager yeast, I am duly impressed that this is not a red ale. I got a rocky finger of tawny head off of my pour and it hung around as long as it could in the humidity of the evening. Color was a beautiful orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very malty, but also very clean. Mouthfeel was full, nearly thick and the malty sweetness reminded me of hot cereal, oatmeal or cream of wheat. Finish was semi-sweet, sweet, but not cloying by any means. It was very pleasant and would be a nice beer to have in the cooler on a hot day or during a visit to the beach.

Once again, I have a bottle to also review, but the original CANQuest (tm) takes precedence. Today is Good Friday (F, 25 March 2016).

From the bottle: "Abita Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with pale and caramel malts and German Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, caramel flavor and a rich amber color. One of our first and most popular brews, Amber pairs well with many foods."

I Pop!ped the cap & gave it a semi-agro pour, but try as I might, I could not raise much in the way of head. Even an in-glass swirl failed to create anything more than a mere skim of wisps atop the beer. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a nutty sweetness, like pecans or almonds were involved, but accompanied by a definite caramel malt sugariness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste seemed really sweet, but so much like caramel as just a general, undefined sugary sweetness. Finish was likewise sweet and cloying. Clearly, I enjoyed the CANned version much more.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

I love cheap singles. We need more of them at more stores, I tells ya! This one pours a clear, well, amber (how very appropriate) topped by a finger or so of white micro-foam. The nose is heavy on the buttery biscuits, as though company was expected; some light caramel and nutmeg finish off a strange olfactory experience. The taste also has a good amount of biscuits, but they're not as buttery as before. Some mild wheat, light caramel, and, following the theme, very mild hoppy floral and citrus notes round out the kinda lackluster flavor. The body is pretty light, with a light carbonation and a semi-crisp finish. Overall, an okay brew, nothing special, nothing objectionable. Easy to down, though.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appears a pale copper amber, with a large egg shell tinted white head forms fizzy thick head that rises above the glass and then quickly fades away to form bands of scattered lacing with each sip. Aroma slightly metallic with mild faint caramel and nut notes mild flowing sweetness and a kiss of herbal hops. Flavor is light with specialty grains just slipping through the fizzy beer flavor, but it works with a mild caramel, nut, and slightly creamy edge with faint hops arising with each sip. Mouthfeel is light bodied as it gets in the craft realm but a nutty dryness does stay on the palate with carbonation tickling the throat. Drinkability is sessionable but damn I want more flavor at this level in the game. I still give props to these Abita beers being early on influences in beers exploitation of myself.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +15%

A - dark amber with a thick layer of dense, white head that has great retention

S - grassy, earthy hops; caramel; sweet

T - caramel, nutty, grassy, earthy

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is an easy drinking Vienna Lager. It has decent flavor and good body. It's worth a try.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear amber with a crème head. Nose is like a pile of wet grass from yesterday that I let sit out on the front yard since then. Nasty. Over time calms down to a mere wet grass stink, but still... Flavor seems to be heavily influenced by a straw character. Feel is decent at best. Nice level of carbonation and a good liquid feel, but the flavor just kills any possibility of a positive experience here. Overall just a weak beer. Nothing at all good about it from my point of view. Avoid.

Amber from Abita Brewing Co.