Amber | Abita Brewing Co.

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

Style: Vienna Lager

Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

Added by kbub6f on 07-08-2001

Reviews: 527 | Ratings: 1,626
3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Nice deep gold color with super carbonation. Quickly disappearing head with no lacing. A nice thick honey/buttery taste that leaves quickly. Slight maltiness that is sweet, but also kind of flat. However, It is about right I suppose for a Vienna type lager. An acceptable beer, however still quite bland.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

I had this beer many years ago but needed to refresh my memory of it so that I could write a review. Grabbed a bottle at Grapevine Market the other day. Abita is one of the more respected regional breweries in Louisiana. They brew several different beers, and the Amber is one of their more popular offerings. It's widely available in Texas and throughout most of the deep Southern states.

Poured smooth...no real head to speak of, and what did appear quickly faded. Wonderful aroma, though. It smelled great, malty and full of character.

The taste didn't live up to the nose, though. This sample had a bit of a bite to it. I let it sit for a few minutes, hoping that it would mellow out a little, but no such luck. It stayed bitter the whole way down. It had a nice malty character somewhere in the background, but the harshness really ruined the whole presentation. I also got a bitter aftertaste that stuck with me for a LONG time after I had finished the beer.

Mouthfeel was ok. Drinkability was average at best. I would have had a hard time throwing back more than a couple of these at one sitting. I really wanted to put this down and grab something smoother, like a Spaten Oktoberfest, to wash out the clingy harshness of this beer. Bad sample? Maybe. Smelled pretty fresh, though.

I was slightly disappointed. I really wanted this beer to be better than it was. I'd like to try it again, just to see if I maybe got my hands on a bad bottle. For now, I'll move on and try some of Abita's other brews.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This one is courtesy of Biglove. Hope all is well with you buddy.

The beer pours a nice true amber color with a nice 3/4 inch head.
The smell is rich with butter, slight hops, bread hints, and toasted cashews.
The taste is nothing to jump about, it isnt bad, but it isnt spectacular. It's obvious that Turbodog is the Abita Flagship. It has a good hops sense, but the butter cream is watered out. As a session beer goes, this is as mild and tepid as it gets, a good landmark Louisiana Brew, but jump for Turbodog first.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

This is my second tasting of Abita beer and it's done very well not to offend me. However, it's not an earth-shattering, "WOW THIS IS GREAT BEER" kinda drink.

It poured an uneventful amber with a slight head and lace. But this is where it gets weird. The funky smell reminded me of the aroma that arises from the bowels of a pumpkin at Halloween...is that rotting squash I smell?

Fortunately, the taste was nothing like the smell. If there were ever to be a "beer candy", this would be the taste. It reminded me of a mild beer with rock candy dissolved in it!

The mouthfeel was as uneventful as the color but I found it very easy to drink. I felt an odd burning sensation in my diaphram after I drank it, but that could be the pizza from earlier.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz. short bottle, poured a clear amber color, with a nice two fingers of foam, off-white head of tiny bubbles. Head faded before too long, but remained a thin layer over the top. Toasted malts are heavy in the aroma, with a tiny hint of caramel hidden in there as well.

Toasted malt shows up again in the taste, strong and very prevalent. Clean and crisp to the mouth, seemed a bit thin towards the end, though.

A very drinkable beer. I didn't know it was a Marzen, but somewhat appropriate that I picked it up now. Tasty, and not too heavy. Easily a session beer.

Drank this in NOLA draft and it was outstanding. Drank it again in Gulfport with a couple dozen crawdads. Beer is an excellent amber color, pours coppery has a good nose and mouth feel. No backbite, a very good Amber.

Boring. Nothing too special about this beer. I went on a friend's recommendation.

A- Burnt organge with little head. No rention

S - Slightly nutty. Not much here

T - Again nutty. Watery - maybe due to the 'special' water used. IDK

M - Higher carbonation than I like

D - Easy to drink, not always a good thing.

Little flavor, watered down.
I would play beer pong with this stuff.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from 12 0z. bottle to pint glass.

A: Clear copper, 1 in. off-white head.
S: Lightly roasted malt, yeast, caramel.
T: Grainy taste with caramel malts, a bit yeasty, and a bit of apple. It is nice that it isn't too sweet.
M: Light feel. Watery.
O: Alright. You could buy Yuengling for much cheaper.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%

This beer pours a dark orange with a strong head. It goes down easy and leaves a nice lacing on the glass..

The smell is very malty with a hint of hops.

The taste is very malty with a hint of hops and maybe some yeast.

I also had this beer on tap. I must say that having it from a keg is nicer than the bottle. I hope that I get stuck in NO for a few weeks again so that I can get it on tap.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance - As amber as it gets. Clear with a thin off-white head that lasts a while.

Smell - Sweet and malty with perhaps a hint of caramel, but it also has a weakness that reminds me of what I'd find in a cheap canned beer.

Taste - Once again, sweet and malty, though I'm finding little hops presence. It leaves somewhat of a sweet mediocre aftertaste. As it warms, the taste becomes lightly more unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - For a light-to-medium bodied beer, the crisp feel I was expecting wasn't quite there. It starts crisp, but leaves somewhat of a coating in my mouth that I'm not overly fond of.

Drinkability - While disappointing in its overall taste, it is certainly light enough that I would drink, if given to me. For the price, though, this ends up feeling like a far-too-expensive macro. And if I'm going that route, I'll swig down an Amstel Light first.

Note: If I were to describe this beer in one word it would be "underpowered."

picked up a 6 pack of abita amber ,I "pry off cap" like the cap says and pour the beer into a glass and give it a look..

it looks as you would expect for this style of beer.Amber, a tad bit orenge and clear with a white fading foam head that leaves some spots of lace.

a nice fresh smell ,caramel malt and grains are what i get up front then some spices and fruit like apple .

a lite caramel malt and toated grains taste, much like the scent. a mild sweet sugar and spices flavor that make it very pleasant to sip.

medium to light body with a slight grainy after taste .a lite and thin feel on the palette.

well done and easy to drink ,nothing crazy going on here just simple and refreshing beer..cheers...

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance-pours a dark orange with two fingers of fluffy off white/tan head that has good retention

Smell-Malty notes, slight hop notes, i get a lot of dried fruit and spices, possibly apricot.

Taste-not over powering, good spiciness, slight toffee, malt and hop notes.

Mouth feel-Not overly carbonated, a little watery, but a nice smooth finish.

Overall-Not a bad amber, good summer time beer.

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a bottle into a frosted pub glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice medium amber color. Light head that quickly dissipates to minimal lacing. This is the case for most of Abita's offerings.

Smell: Bready, malty. Subtle toffee or caramel aroma. Signature "Abita Spring Water" aroma is alway present.

Taste: Nice maltiness, with a fiant toffee or caramel presence in the middle with a hoppy bite in the finish. The flavor stays with you.

Mouthfeel: Light (as most Abita offerings are), and in comparison to others of the same style.

Drinkability: Abita Amber is one of my favorites and is easy to drink, a perfect welcome to micro beer for any macro drinker out there. Goes well with most spicy dishes.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours with a somewhat small head and not much by the way of lacing. The body of the beer a nice clear copper.

Smell consists mostly of sweet malts; caramel, toffee. Reminds me of a English brown. The hops are in the back-ground providing a little floral notes.

Taste matches the aroma. Big malt flavor with the hops providing a nice finish. The beer has a good feel on the palette.

Overall this beer isn't that bad. It doesn't knock my socks off either. I bought it in a sampler pack and in my humble opinion, this was the weakest of the six I got.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bought a room temperature six pack and put one bottle in the freezer for a quick chill. Poured the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear light amber color with a good two fingers worth of head and lots of prolonged of lacing. This may be due to me extremely clean glass. Not much carbonation.

Smell- Not much Aroma, maybe some bread and caramel malt with a hint of hops.

Taste- Slight malt sweetness with a faint hop presence.

Mouthfeel- On the light end of medium bodied amber. Much fuller that a typical euro-lager.

Overall- A easy drinking beer. Great for summer time drinking. I expected a darker, fuller flavor. Not on the same level as their Tubordog.

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Abita Amber is easy to come by anywhere in New Orleans proper. If you can get it, try it on tap. I had it at the Abita Brew Pub in Abita Springs, and along Bourbon Street. I'm not sure what hops they use, but would call this an Americanized version of the Oktoberfest style. It's a malty, sweet, amber beer (as it should be). This is one I could, and did, drink a lot of.

A: pours orange-brown; decent head, slight adherence to the glass; head goes away fairly quickly; a nice looking beer.
S: non-threatening smell, no real odor, neither sweet nor tart.
T: A good drinking beer for hot summer days in New Orleans (or Abita Springs, the home of this beer). Not an especially heavy amber taste, in fact it is a bit mild, fruity, no after taste.
M: Again, and average feel; not as buttery as most ambers, but still decent.
D: I had the opportunity to live in New Orleans for over 5 years and had this beer weekly. It is a good beer for the hot summer days of the deep south, where anything heavier makes you feel a little uncomfortable. It is a casual beer that your wife or girlfriend will like, but if you are looking a true, solid, amber this is a little short of that mark.

Enjoy this beer with some raw oysters and peeled shrimp!!

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance- Amber orange thin white head leaving a moderate amount of lace.

Smell- Fairly faint. What I could smell some nice caramel malt

Taste- Is nice and smooth. I wouldsay its medium bodied with nice toasted malt flavor and bitter aftertaste.

Good beer. I also liked how it had a best before date on it. I wish all brewers would do that.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Maybe this style just isn't for me. It's a little less offensive than Sam Adams Boston Lager, but not much. If I would have known this was a Vienna, I may not have even bought it.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

I was introduced to the Abita product on my first trip to NOLA. I was impressed. This is a very good product that accompanies the NOLA cuisine quite well. The pour, aroma, taste and after glow are excellent.

3.06/5  rDev -10%

This rating might be a product of my disdain for anything without "bite" of "kick"... but I wasn't impressed with the Abita Amber...

My father-in-law had it at my niece's 2nd Birthday party... and it was either Amber or Yeungling Lager... so I went with the unknown.

I know Ambers are supposed to have a reddish look and a malty flavor... this was more nutty... and kind of bland, but once again, I like things to bite me..

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

12 oz. bottle.

Marzen or Vienna? Well, whichever it is, I like this lager. And I'm more of an ale guy overall.

This copper/amber lager has a pleasant, malty aroma and is malt-forward on the palate, with just enough hops coming through to keep it from being sweet to taste.

It feels light in mouthfeel. A great hot weather beer without having to go to the usual pale lager, and not suprising coming from Louisiana.

I find it to be well balanced and quite enjoyable to quaff. This is an easy drinker and a very good one for introducing macro-swillers to the world of craft brews.

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A tasty beer, but I wasn't thinking Octoberfest as I drank it, as it is sorted here. It's missing the heavier dark malts taste, as I see it. That said, this is a good lager. At a fraction of the price, I'd rather have a Yuengling lager, but this is still a good example.

Color is nice amber, not a pleasing smell compared to the Turbodog. The taste is very clean, possibly owing to the spring water mentioned on the cap. Could drink a few of these.

3.42/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks again to the Bier Stein for having this beer.

A: Drank from a blue pint glass, so I couldn't really see the appearance.

S: Caramel malt lightly spiced

T: I could really taste the caramel malt, and some cinnamon flavor to it as well. Very well done for an Amber beer.

M: Sort of thin and watery, but went down rather smooth.

D: Probably won't try this one again. I bought mainly because I wanted to try something different.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear amber pours a decent head but not much linger.

S: Slight hoppiness with a light malt and some lemon.

T: Starts off kind of bland malt and lemon then finishes with some decent hoppiness.

M: Light-medium body with a good amount of carbonation

Overall this was a good local beer in Louisiana. I wouldn't mind having another one, but I wouldn't rush back for another.

Amber from Abita Brewing Co.