Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog
Liked This Beer
3.66 w/ 2,898 ratings
TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Liked:
3.66/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,898 |  Reviews: 1,020

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +29%

Excellent overall brew with great finish

4.71/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great brown ale....lots of flavor

4.71/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious, chocolate notes. Had on tap.

4.67/5  rDev +27.6%

The pour looked good: a dark brown with amber hues, and a nice, fluffy dark-tan head. The smell was of dark malts, nuts (especially chestnuts), and a pinch of bitter hops. The smell was strong and pleasant, and I could catch a whiff of it with the glass sitting on the table a few feet away. The taste was similar to the smell: a great mix of malts, which were simultaneously dark (chocolate), nutty, and sweet (toffee and brown sugar), plus a dash of hop bitterness to round it off and balance the flavor. The beer is well carbonated, and it has a medium mouthfeel. The beer is very drinkable: sweet (but not too sweet), smooth, tasty, not filling, and refreshing.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%

Translucent brown pour with reddish hues. Tan/white frothy head.

Toasty, bread-like malt flavors rise up from the glass chased by slightly roasted chocolaty notes.

Sweet toffee and toasted nuts. Balanced caramel sweetness. Lingering sugars fade to chocolate goodness.

Light medium body. Small, present, but not too sharp carbonation. Lingering flavors leave mouth watering for more.

Extremely well balanced, quaffable, and very tasty brown brew.

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

Beautiful black ruby brew with decent sized light tan head.

But for more fun, my favorite way to drink this beer is slighty cool, and dumped into a glass quickly so it forms a giant head. I know this is normally not the way to pour a beer, but with Turbodog, it is the way to go. The giant fluffy creamy head is glorious.

The aroma is chocalaty, rich and strong.

The flavor starts off creamy, then moves to dark chocolate and then creamy milky chocolate, then to espresso and finally to a finish of toasty malts with just a bit of a Heath bar. Lots of wonderful alcoholic warmth.

An absolutely fabulous beer, but I will make one cautionary note. Look for the freshness dating. It rapidly loses flavor if it is out of date (in fact, if you are in Oklahoma like I am, where they don't let liquor stores refrigerate beers, I wouldn't buy it with 3 weeks of expiration date). I've drank this beer just a little past its prime and was very disappointed.

Very, very drinkable. Excellent session beer, particularly for its price (around $6/6pack).

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

I am a member of the Beer of the Month Club and this was one of the first beers that came in the first month. I have been a huge fan of this beer ever since. I enjoy the slight chocolate smell and taste of the beer. I was never a dark beer drinker until I tasted Turbo Dog. I now can't get enough of the "Dog". I have turned on quite a few on my friends to this tasy beverage now too. It is hard to find this beer where I am from but when I do get some it is a very welcome treat.

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

This beer IS New Orleans. Turbodog has a great rich flavor, a deep musky aroma, and a huge-ass head. Yet with all that, it goes down as smoothly as any lite beer, strange, no? Found at basically any cajun restaurant this is a great sidearm to bring into battle with that spicy jambalaya, or spicy anything for that matter. Turbodog quenches thirst like fucking gatorade. Even though its one of the darker brewskis I enjoy, I can still put back more than a few because of its superior drinkability, Bud Lites got nothing on this baby!

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

High marks, I know, but I like this beer.

A: Bottle label is different than the pic, mine is black with some wheat stalks barely visible. Anyway. Pours a deep deep brown color with just a hint of garnet in the light. Nice head at first. Scant lacing.

S: Wow! Dark malty sweetness with hints of caramel in there. Can't really smell any hops. Very appealing, nonetheless. The malty profile is lovely smelling.

T: Toasty malts, just this side of sweet. Hop flavor comes very late and provides just a tap of bitterness that seems to set you up for the next sip. Do I detect a bare hint of coffee here? Amazing tasting beer.

M: Alcohol warmth is perfect. Lets you know it's there without needing any attention. Medium body. Moderate level of carbonation. Dry feeling late just makes me want to take another sip, then another, etc.

D&N: He may not have sent me this one, but BigLove turned me on to Abita with the Abita Wheata he sent me. Thanks for getting me interested in this brewery, everything I've tried from them has been tasty, this one is just off the scale drinkable. I now have a definite beer I'll think of when I think of English Brown. Superb beer and I can't recommend this one enough. Go Get Some!

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%

A: This beer comes out a quick dark chocolate. A creamy brown head of fuzzy hazelnut and mahogany goodness erupts. However, holding it up to the light reveals a very cool looking mixture of hefty brown, dark ruby red, and dense caramel tinting.

S: Toasted sweet coffee and caramel smell at the outset. Roasted nuts paired with malty sweetness give it a fine aroma. Give it a few scents though and you can discern a medium citrus smell that adds an entire different level.

T: I find this beer to be very complex. The first sips yield a toffee and chocolate taste but hidden underneath that layer is roasted dark fruit sweetness. I tend to enjoy this layered taste even more as the glass reaches room temperature and some good southern cuisine awaits. The nutty aftertaste always leaves me looking forward to the next sip.

M: Despite the heavy appearance it is relatively thin and light at the outset. Definitely sweet on spice once you give it a whirl and ponder. However, even with this initial thin body there is a creamy and quite full quality that emerges.

D: IMO, it is a great brown ale and perfect for a quality session. Needless to say, even better on tap. It is one of my favorites from back in the day and just seeing the bottle or hearing the name gives me a good vibe. Perhaps my personal history, coupled with the region, lend me to be a little bias. However, for these personal reasons, and the fact I firmly believe it is a solid around beer, I would proudly put it in my top ten. Additionally, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a very accessible and unique beer from a great brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

Sampled on-tap at the Cock and Bull. I tried this beer in a bottle a while ago and I didn't care for it much. Then just recently I got some on tap and I tasted quite a difference.

Appearance: dark brown, slight lacing

Smell: Nice roasted malts slight chocolate

Taste: Again, slightly chocolately, slight hop/bitterness on the backside.

A favorite among the patrons at the C & B, they almost always have a tap on this and always fresh. You come on Wednesday's it's $5 liter night and I always get a liter of TurboDog. Perfect example of a brown.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great everyday beer for one who enjoys darker beers regularly and enjoys coffee! I often enjoy every other day or so!

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 50.9% out of 100 with 2,898 ratings