Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog
3.66/5
Good
TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Ratings: 2,901 |  Reviews: 1,021

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured smooth. Small off white head that died really fast. Very little lacing. Amber to dark brown depending on the light.

S: Some toffee malt. Toasty chocolate notes. Certainly on the sweet side. Really liked how bright it is.

T: Holds really true to the smell with almost a smoky after taste.

M: Smooth but a little flat. But it sits well the more you have.

O: So far my favorite Abita. Low ABL % so it's kinda like a dark sweet session beer. Nice change up if you are getting hopped out. While there are better representations of this style this beer is typically a great value pick.

3.34/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

$3.50 bottle had at Three Blind Mice in Mt. Clemens, Michigan.

I've had Pecan Harvest from Abita and thought it was decent, and I feel the same about this beer... it's a decent brew that is interesting enough to warrant maybe drinking a couple of, but that's about it. There's a nice caramel/chocolate/roast combination going on with a fairly high carbonation that makes Turbodog an easy drinker, but nothing made me too excited about it. I must say I'm shocked "the Bros." gave this a 90 rating, because it's almost the very definition of an average beer to my taste buds... hey, different strokes. I'd have it again if offered, but probably wouldn't buy it again. A pretty average brown ale that's not all-too satisfying. But hey, the price is right.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Everytime I drink Abita I think I should be eating cajun or mexican food. It feels built for spice.
Today I enjoyed this in a wine balloon with a mushroom sausage stew and it was a great match.
It's up there with the better browns behind sixpoint, smutty and new holland (in my brown book).

A: Good color and head, thin head returns w swirl, minimal lacing. 3.5
S: Bready tortilla, malt, sweet corn. A bit laid back, but complementary to food. 3.5
T: Better than smell, best part of brew, nice arc, more dark fruit, more toffee, and just right bitterness, and INTERESTING, ORIGINAL, NOT RUN OF THE MILL. Very sessionable and would try again. 4
MF: Thins toward the end. OK. 3.5
O: mid pack 3.5
I must line all these up abita, avery, Sams, sixpoint, smutty and new holland ---- to blind taste test. The only problem is like the name, they are all a bit muddy and it may be hard to stack rank them which right now I do: sixpoint, new holland, smutty, abita, avery, sams from top to bottom.
Brown bottoms up!

I like this when I come back to this blackest of EBAs. Bring on the chips.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.66 out of 5 with 2,901 ratings