Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

good
TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Ratings: 2,898 |  Reviews: 1,020
3.89/5  rDev +6.9%

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A-Dark amber, almost black with an off white head (thickness dependent on aggression of pour). Head dissipates quickly with minimal lace left around glass.

S-Smokey, with hints of chocolate and caramel.

T-Smokey and bitter up front with hints of caramel finishing.

M-Heavy and rich, with light carbonation,

O-This beer is great with a good steak off the grill. I will buy it again.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

I brought the turbodog from a bottle shop in palmerton I tryed the purple haze and loved there light razz taste so I wanted to try the others out there.

Apperance: a dark ale with a heavy head.

Aroma: reminds me of a moca coffee burent with malty caramel scent. Little hop aroma

Taste: roasted barly with a hint of sweet coca the bitterness is there but the maltyness of the caramel fades it to bittersweetness.

Mouthfeel: a medium-bodied has a very smooth roasted finish.

Overall: these beer go's great with wild game roasting on an open flame. Great for camping.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

As I am from Louisiana bayou country, I consider this to be my main local microbrew. A very hearty and filling concoction that is the absolutely perfect choice to go with spicy boiled crawfish (or any other spicy Louisiana cuisine!) There is a hint of chocolate (maybe even coffee?) and well toasted biscuit. along with other ingredients that I can't pick out, but know they are there. It's called a brown ale, but it seems like a porter to me.

Some have said that this is a good session beer. Unless the session includes spicy food, I would have to respectfully disagree. I find myself having to carefully alternate this beer with a lighter beer, less the lingering aftertaste completely dominate my palette (I find Hoegaarden to be an excellent intermediary.)

The bottom line is that if you are visiting Louisiana and dining on a spicy seafood dish, you should wash it down with this local product. I am away a lot, and I never feel like I've arrived back home until I can get this into gut.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%

A: single finger head on a dark brown cloudy body.

S: mild roasted malt, burnt toast, smokey. Some oak and a nice amount of chocolate.

T: I find some of the Abita beers to be a little watery affecting flavor and mouthfeel. More smokey, malty flavor with sweet caramel and woody notes.

M: light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: Another somewhat watered down like flavor from an Abita beer. I think the flavor and aromas of their beers are fairly good but they lack on the body/mouthfeel of their beers.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Tasting note from 4/11/12.
Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a very dark brown with 1 inch tan head that quickly dissipates.
S: Nice roasted caramel and chocolate malts. Pleasant nutty aroma in the background.
T: Very nice nutty roasted chocolate malt up front. Toasted caramel malt too.
M: Medium-light body. Creamy feel. Drinks heavier than the feel which is always a plus in my book. Mild and pleasant roasted bitterness.
D: A very nice session brew. A solid offering from Abita.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.