Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog
3.66/5
Good
TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Ratings: 2,910 |  Reviews: 1,023

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

As I am from Louisiana bayou country, I consider this to be my main local microbrew. A very hearty and filling concoction that is the absolutely perfect choice to go with spicy boiled crawfish (or any other spicy Louisiana cuisine!) There is a hint of chocolate (maybe even coffee?) and well toasted biscuit. along with other ingredients that I can't pick out, but know they are there. It's called a brown ale, but it seems like a porter to me.

Some have said that this is a good session beer. Unless the session includes spicy food, I would have to respectfully disagree. I find myself having to carefully alternate this beer with a lighter beer, less the lingering aftertaste completely dominate my palette (I find Hoegaarden to be an excellent intermediary.)

The bottom line is that if you are visiting Louisiana and dining on a spicy seafood dish, you should wash it down with this local product. I am away a lot, and I never feel like I've arrived back home until I can get this into gut.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%

A: single finger head on a dark brown cloudy body.

S: mild roasted malt, burnt toast, smokey. Some oak and a nice amount of chocolate.

T: I find some of the Abita beers to be a little watery affecting flavor and mouthfeel. More smokey, malty flavor with sweet caramel and woody notes.

M: light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: Another somewhat watered down like flavor from an Abita beer. I think the flavor and aromas of their beers are fairly good but they lack on the body/mouthfeel of their beers.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Tasting note from 4/11/12.
Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a very dark brown with 1 inch tan head that quickly dissipates.
S: Nice roasted caramel and chocolate malts. Pleasant nutty aroma in the background.
T: Very nice nutty roasted chocolate malt up front. Toasted caramel malt too.
M: Medium-light body. Creamy feel. Drinks heavier than the feel which is always a plus in my book. Mild and pleasant roasted bitterness.
D: A very nice session brew. A solid offering from Abita.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours a dark brown with a thick beige colored head, which dissipated over time to a thin layer. Great lacing.

S - Rich notes of toffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. Some spices. Faint note of hops.

T - Sweetness, toffee, and chocolate. Can pick up the roast quality of the malts. A little bit of spice and earthiness, but the sweet toffee flavors are the main attraction here.

M - Medium bodied, extremely smooth and drinkable. A nice little note of bitterness at the finish which prevents the sweetness from overwhelming. Strikes the right balance for this type of beer.

O - I found the Turbodog to be a delightful beer and one of the strongest in Abita's normal line-up. It's a tasty, sweet beer - one that I would recommend!

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.66 out of 5 with 2,910 ratings