Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

good
TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Ratings: 2,896 |  Reviews: 1,020

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.11/5  rDev -14.6%

The color of this beer is a very dark chestnut, nearly black, and almost completely opaque. A quarter inch of tanned head falls fast. Lacing falls quickly too but still looks nice and creamy.

Aroma is faint, with roasted malt and touches of coffee. A little lacking in this department. The taste is lightly roasty, with traces of dark coffee and bittersweet chocolate. The chocolate malt used makes a pretty subtle appearance, hop bitterness is low; a slightly metallic aftertaste is detected. I guess I'd describe this beer as shallow; the flavor disappears fast.

Good carbonation, medium light in body, with a short finish. Drinkable but not particularly memorable. The nose is really lacking and the taste just seems to vanish in thin air.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a deep, dark brown with 1/4" of dense, brown head that has great retention. The nose has notes of caramel, faint toast, and mild diacetylic aromas. The taste is caramel, mildly sweet, light toast, and very faint hop bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated, and smooth.

Not a bad beer. It's simple and easy to drink. It's not something I would go out of my way to get again, but it was good once.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance was unimpressive. Pours a dark brown with little head.

Not much of a nose on this beer. A little malt, some faint hints of tofee, but not much of an aroma at all.

Taste falls flat to me. It is cold and it is wet, but that is about it. Nothing exciting on the palate. Subtle toffee, subtle chocolate, finishes dry. Everything is there, but nothing steps up to take control of this beer.

I wouldn't order this again. It was ok. Not bad, but nothing that I would go seek out.

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A- Dark brown, like coffee, some light gets through at the edges. Two fingers of tan head.

S- Smooth roasted malt. A good milk chocolate presence.

T- Very much in line with the smell with chocolate, roasted malt flavors. The one difference is a nice slight hop bitterness on the back end.

M- Medium bodied or so.

O- A pretty good brown. Definitely one of Abita's better beers.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

A: The beer pours a nice very dark brown, with almost no head at all.

S: I pick up some nutty scents, but mostly it is a very faint smell.

T: The beer has a very strong nutty taste and a good amount of coffee taste too. I also get some roasted malt and it is very tasty.

M: The beer is very carbonated in my mouth, but pretty easy to drink. Also has some a bit of crispness.

O: This is a very solid session beer. This isnt the best of beers, but it is very tasty and easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours very dark brown/black with a little bit of a light tan head.

Had to sniff around for a while to get any recognizable smells from this beer. Settled on milk chocolate, red grapes, and caramel.

Turbodog is pretty flavorful. An immediate sweetness fades into a smidgen of bitterness. Milk chocolate again in the taste with a little of bit of cereal grain and buttered english muffin. Dark fruit flavors are a nice touch. Willamette hops offer this brown ale a little balance, but not much.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick. Somewhere between a brown ale and a porter. Carbonation sticks around while drinking.

Overall I enjoyed turbodog. A fine example of it's style.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a quick 1-finger light tan head, which dissipates somewhat quickly. Aromas of cocoa and vanilla cappuccino. Dark, Coca-Cola coloring. Smooth mouthfeel and great drinkability. Aftertaste of chocolate milk. Overall a good beer for sitting out on a porch in the fall, having a good conversation.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

This is my first review so I am doing my best. Hope it's not bad.

A: Dark brown with some dark amber edges. Small tan head that quickly dissipated.

S: Toffee like smell. A little sweet chocolate milk.

T: I leaves a bit of coffee flavor. Close to a porter but more watered down. Milk chocolate flavor, not so rich as a darker one.

M: Medium, leaves a nice chocolaty and coffee like aftertaste.

Overall: I like this beer a lot. It's good and cheap for the price of most craft beers in Puerto Rico. It's a beer that I like to keep in my fridge.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

This one is brewed locally to where I live, I have it all the time but finally got a chance to sit down and review this one.
Appearance - dark brown, reddish highlights, 1 finger thick head that is off white. Smells of chocolate, toffee, some earthy grassy hop notes. Taste follows the nose, chocolate, toffee, roasted grains, some hoppy bitterness at the end, kind of dry. Medium to thin mouthfeel, med. carbonation. I think this is drinkable, can enjoy at least a couple. this is a pretty good brew for the style.

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

First time I had this beer, I was down in New Orleans at a place called Molly's. I wonder if it's still there. This was several years ago. I was so happy to be able to drink a local beer and always remembered it. When I saw it at the store this weekend, I picked it up and recalled that time. Unfortunately, this beer may have been sitting on the shelf a little longer than I would have hoped. It didn't taste as fresh as the first time I had it. Too bad. I remember loving it. But, this one may have traveled in the heat up here and it lost a bit of quality in the transport.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured this from an inch or so above the glass, I like doing that, it seems to release more aroma and appeal for me. Doing this this beer has a pretty decent sized tan to light brown head that settles into a pretty decent lacing above a clear dark brown bordering on black colored beer.

A nice roasted malt aroma with some hints of a rich coffee in the background of this medium to medium full bodied brown ale.

The coffee seems to come through more when drinking than it had in the aroma and there is still a decent roasted malt quality to it. The aftertaste is a light sweet dry, which was pretty good itself. A pretty good brown beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Dark brown with a slight reddish tint; light brown head that is big and sudsy; lacing is good

S: Rather subdued: faint roasted malts with subtle chocolate and coffee notes--a touch of dark fruits perhaps but mostly just a subtle roasted quality; pleasant just nothing to go crazy about

T: Much more complexities in the flavors: roasted coffee and chocolate play with the rich malts; a touch of brown sugary sweetness finishes the flavors

F: Medium body and creamy; beer clings fairly well to the sides of the mouth

O: My favorite beer from Abita; rich, creamy, and simple with moments of intriguing complexities

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

A - Cola brown or dark chestnut color. Large foamy, bubbly, light, off white color head. Pretty good retention leaving a thin ring of lace.

S - Pretty sweet nutty aroma with hints of ovaltine chocolate aroma. Some sweet, dark bread. Hints of dark fruit and molasses. Not too sweet with the slightly roasted nut aroma giving it some balance, but it is quite sweet in the aroma. Hints of caramel and toffee in the back.

T - A bit more roasted and bitter in the flavor than the aroma suggested. Dark roasted nuttiness and dark bread. Charred cocoa nibs. Finishes with some slightly tart, slightly sweet dark fruit with figs and plums being the strongest. Somewhat like a porter really.

M - Light to medium body with average carbonation. A touch on the thin side but mostly just average.

D - Was pretty easy to drink with a good balance of sweet and bitter. A touch more roasted/bitter flavor than what I was expecting. Not offensive, just kind of average.

Notes: Much darker/roasted than I was expecting. A lot like a porter. Fairly balanced with the sweet and bitter. Quite chocolatey and roasted on the taste. I thought it was fine but not something I would normally get.

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a bottle into a ??? glass at Bud’s Louisiana Café in San Diego (Kearny Mesa). Dark brown color, but not quite black. Appeared heavily carbonated. At least an inch of head, but probably more. Lots of lacing and lots of film on the sides.

Malts were the lead smell, mainly light caramel and chocolate. Had to work for the smells though. Somewhat bland.

Initial taste was chocolate. Caramel came into play, too, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Smooth though.

Seemed to be high on carbonation, but still pretty smooth.

A pretty good beer overall, a lot better than I thought it would be. I’d order it again for sure.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance--Pours a deep mahogany brown with reddish tones, completely opaque. An aggressive pour yields a decent, 1-finger head with a toasted cream color. Little retention.

Smell--Cereal-y, grainy, nutty, chocolate-y, with some molasses and toffee notes as well. As the beer warmed, I got a hint of alcohol, which, considering the modest content, surprised me a bit.

Mouthfeel--Medium body, lighter on the palate than I was expecting. Decent carbonation. Surprisingly crisp and refreshing, considering the style.

Taste--As in the nose, a big and varied malt presence, from cereal to candy and back. There is a faint hop bitterness in the finish, which is nice.

Overall--Very drinkable and satisfying brown ale. Nothing about this beer says "turbodog" to me, so I have no idea where that name came from, and, quite frankly, it's a pretty big turnoff. It sounds like some sort of alcoholic energy drink made to compete with Red Bull + vodka or something. Anyway, the twinge of hop bitterness here almost made me think I had a secret ESB on my hands, but layer after layer of malts suppresses it too much. Still, despite the awful name, this is a rich, smooth and likeable beer.

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Dark red color with just a thin cap of head that fades to a ring.

Aroma: Roasted malt with molasses notes

Taste: Initially sweet and creamy, then thinning out quite a bit to a more roasted, astringent back end that finishes slightly lingering and nutty with some burnt notes.

The Rest: I've had this on tap quite a few times, and now that I'm reviewing it from a bottle, not in a bar, I don't like as much as I though I did. It's a decent beer, but it's a bit too chalky to be a good brown ale.

3.64/5  rDev 0%

Drank from pilsner glass. Appearance is very dark with a carmel colored head that starts out about two fingers thick than slowly dissapates to lacing around the edge. Has a very weak smell for the dark appearance. Taste a slight vanilla and for some reason i get a smoky after taste which i couldnt think of anything to compare it to. Its a very smooth beer, the mouthfeel is spot on for a brown ale. Overall not a bad beer, very happy i tried this but not something i will be looking to order again anytime soon basically just becuase there wasnt really that "WOW" factor

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.