Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

TurbodogTurbodog
3.66/5
Good
TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,915 |  Reviews: 1,024
3.61/5  rDev -1.4%

I couldn't figure out what kind of beer to get when I wanted something easy to drink and not too strong. I would have normally avoided this beer but I decided to go for it.

I though it was a porter but brown is definitely a better description. Very drinkable, dark brown, lowish carbonation but in general a very decent brown ale.

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

Reviewed from my notes. Poured from a very cold bottle into a pilsner glass at the Victoria Falls Bar at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.

The beer is translucent and has a dark ruby color. It reminds me of cranberry juice. There was no head, but it was poured for me by a bartender who doesn't look like a beer guy (i.e. someone who probably thinks head = bad). There is a slightly malty aroma, but I can't detect must else. As I said above, this beer is very cold, so that may be a limiting factor. The beer tastes like sweet, dark fruit. There is a little bitterness in the finish. I can't taste much else, but as I said, it has been served way too cold. It has an above medium body and a good amount of carbonation. Despite it not performing well when served at a cold temperature, the Turbodog is a good beer. I like it a lot and could order a few of them (but probably not at this bar). If I get the chance to have another, I'll submit a new review of the beer at the correct serving temperature.

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: dark, hazy brown with a finger of compact foam head. Pretty nice.

Smell: mostly toasty; a little chocolate aroma and a little nuttiness. We're on pretty solid brown ale turf here.

Taste: a lot of malt and toastiness. There's also a bit of a tart acidity that slowly fades away, but it's not my favorite characteristic. Hops are not particularly prominent anywhere except in bitterness; to me, it doesn't taste dry-hopped as the label indicates. Overall, pretty good.

Mouthfeel: body is on the light side of medium; carbonation is moderate. The acidity lends a certain astringent character which I think is a bit too much in this beer.

Drinkability: while this beer is somewhat tasty, I feel like its acidity is really going to impact how much of it I can drink. Maybe it would be better if consumed with soda bread or somesuch.

3.26/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep, dark crimson with a brown tone; looks clear with not much head retention.

S: Caramel and malt with notes of peanuts.

T: Watery mouthfeel overall is saved by light yeast, malty goodness and peanut shells in the finish. Not as strong as you'd expect from the name.

D: A good fern bar beer.

Value: Pricey for what it is.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

This poured a dark, caramel-like color. It held an inch-thick creamy caramel colored head for about 2 minutes. Nice lacing. It smelled hoppy, but also with a hint of roasted nuts and chocolate. It was a bit watery in the mouth. I was expecting something thicker. The taste is worth the expense and it is definately an easy drink. I really enjoyed the aftertaste (smokey, chocolatey). My take: give it a whirl!

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle from a 6 variety mixed 12 pack. A moderately aggressive pour yields a clear medium brown with half an inch of light tan foam. Foam settles to a thin cap and throws off light lacing. Highlights of ruby are abundant.

Roasted malts dominate the nose with a bit of nuttiness. Nice aromas but not very volatile, becoming more so with warming yet turning to a bit of a spent coffee grind nose.

A light nuttiness carries forward to the palate along with a bit of caramel and coffee. A bit of spiciness and a pleasant carbonation accompany. Offers a decent feel with a light malt body that tends towards being a bit watery in the finish after some exposure.

Another offering from Abita that offers a somewhat tentative approach to the style. Nice, yet a bit inconspicuous; though likely befitting of the climate of Louisiana.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Pours a brown to amber color, producing a large creamy head, with great retention.

The aroma has a toasted malt quality to it, as well as some fruity esters. A touch nutty but mostly a malted milk ball aroma.

The flavor has some nice toffee qualities as well as a sweet malt component and a touch of chocolate, once again reminding me of malted milk balls, with a mild spicy hop finish, that ends on a semi-sweet note.

Turbodog is not overly complex, but it totally fits the bill of an English Brown flavor-wise and sessionability. Not outstanding within the world of extreme beers, but overall just a tasty, easy drinking brown ale, which I would consider a success.

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

Had this on tap in the French Quarter in the big easy...

A - Amber hue, thick head that hangs out for a while.

S - Sweet fruity notes notes...berries? Light hints of the maltyness.

T - Sour twang, sweet with tastes of malt and berries. Not terribly well balanced but still enjoyable.

M - Medium bodied with fair carbonation.

D - I found this beer a bit odd on the pallet but I would drink again.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

A - Brown with red coming through the edges. Huge head that dissipated rather slowly leaving some sloppy, but very present, lacing on the side. Nice looking.

S - Caramel malts with some roasted malts as well. Slightly nutty, with an herbal smell.

T - Some toffee and a lot of brown sugar in this, I'm not really a fan. Not bad, but not particularly good.

M - Medium bodied and crisp, nice carbonation.

D - It's not hard to drink, but the taste is just offensive enough with that much sugar to keep me from doing a lot of it.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to my parents who got this in New Orleans on their way back from Florida. Enjoyed with my supper last night, hot chicken sandwich.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, best before 01/04/10.

Appearance: Brown-red body with a thick tan head that sticks to the sides of my glass.

Smell: Caramel, some sour notes, berries.

Taste: Sour cherries, some wood (oak?) and wheat. Has a distinct though quiet metallic finish. I also taste berries, dried not fresh.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation with an average body and a touch thin. Not uncomfortable but it doesn't have that smoothness that i like.

Drinkability: I'm a little ambivalent on this one. I might seek it out again but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Overall: I feel really neutral about this one. I found the slight sourness strange but tolerable. I didn't some out with high expectations and that's how it turned out.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The label on this bottle is pretty nondescript...vague wheat representation on a black and silver label. The label makes it seem rather cheap and unappealing.

A - Opaque dark brown with a nice one finger fluffy tan head. It was an aggressive pour, but the head had pretty good retention and left good lacing.

S - Sweet buttery toffee and caramel smell. Maybe a little dark fruit, fig or raisin, as it warms, but not much.

T & M - The taste follows the nose very closely. A caramelized malt body carries the buttery toffee very nicely. Very creamy, yet with a moderate carbonation. A little one dimensional, but very tasty.

D - I'm actually pretty impressed by this beer. This (to me anyways) should be the flagship of the Abita line. I enjoyed this beer immensely and will be picking more up in the future.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bottle out of a six pack bought at Oliver's in Albany.

Appearance: Very dark reddish brown and clear. Moderate head, about 1/4 of the glass.

Smell: Moderate strength, sweet.

Taste: Somewhat sweet, I can taste a bit of molasses or brown sugar. Just a tiny bit soapy after taste. Overall a pretty good beer. Not very bitter.

Mouthfeel: Feels to have a bit more carbonation that most beers. It almost seems a little bit watery, which I have also noticed in other Abita beers. It couldn't hurt to have more body.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, smooth.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Personally there are times I crave a nice mild brown ale that isn't overwhelming to the palate. This beer fills the bill. Smells mildly of chocolate. The beer itself tastes grassy, with hints of nuttiness and chocolate. Drinkability is ok, but its finish was sort of bland Found out afterr freezing the bottle this is one to rink warm, might have to rereview it after drinking a sort of warm bottle.

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Meh. Abita tends to make comparatively, uh, less adventurous brews than your average brewery I've experienced. Of course, that probably has a lot to do with the unique diet that exists in Louisiana. Good for a lot of spicy cajun stuff I guess, but i prefer something hoppy with my spicy food, what I digress.

Brownish pour, can't really identify any identifiable aroma or smell. Not the typical chocolate or coffee flavors you might see in darker colored beers. Not really a sweet beer, just kind of bland. Sorry guys.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

Into a pint glass, pours a gi-normous head (I mean, this is filling 70% of the glass upon the initial pour). A dark body that exhibits a reddish tinge when held up to the light, with thick lacing spiraling down the side.

Initially smells like a pale, but the roasty aromas start releasing as the beer warms. The bouquet is very beer-y, with a slightly metallic smell. It's like a lager that shows a little nutiness.

Flavors are roasty, toasty, and nutty. Improves as it warms, with a nice crispness on the palate.

The mouthfeel is light and tingly, with the flavors creating a heavier feeling as opposed to the consistency.

Overall, drinks more like a lager than an ale, but I would return again (and I have since writing this review). A solid B+.

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%

Nice dark brow color. Smaller head with brown tint. Good roasted malt smell and taste with a decent sweetness, but lacks finish. I found the flavor to be good and strong while in the mouth but very faint and lacking taste after you swallow. Overall a decent beer but fell short of my high hopes.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Paired with some spicey Chili at the Highland Kitchen.

Bad pour arrived with a thin tan head but in Turbodog's defense, what little foam there was stayed for the whole beer. Dark brown, pretty much black.

Toffee aroma, ligtly roasted malt and lots of sugar. Lots and lots of sugar. Nice malty body with toffee, silky chocolate and again, lots of brown sugar.

One of Abitas best but I usually lose interest at about 1 1/2 due to sugar overload.

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a very hazy deep dark brown color. Head formation is strong, just a bit off white. Some lacing. Carbonation isn't obvious.

S - Has a scent of roasted malts, almonds. Caramel malts, lots of sugars.

T - Starts off with a nice strong combination of caramel malt sweetness, toffee, and roasted notes. Mid-stream does get more bitter, but no hopping comes through. Some yeast breadiness shows through. Finishes with a nutty note of almonds. Aftertaste is almost coffee in its bitter bite.

M - Strong body to the beer, built on by a stronger carbonation profile. Malt sweetness clings to the tongue.

D - Goes down a bit harsh due to the carbonation. ABV is very manageable. Sweetness does lead to some palette fatigue - not particularly sessionable.

Certainly an interesting beer - flavors all over the place. That works well for me in a EBA.

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

From a 12 oz bottle courtesy of a trading partner in Illinois this poured a muddy brown color with as moderate sized brown head and light lacing. Nose of lightly roasted malts, and some floral hops. Light aroma overall. Mouthfeel is light and just short of watery. Flavor shows coffee and chocolate and a little ripe fruit. Not much in the finish. While this is quite drinkable I like my browns to not be quite so bland.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Purchased at beer store. Very dark brown color with some red tint showing through. Thick dark tan head. Aroma was of yeast, bread, and sweet with a touch of caramel, very pleasant. Thick, creamy mouthfeel. Flavor was bread, caramel, and a bit of chocolate. Very tasty. Finish was smooth and well balanced with no aftertaste. Overall a teriffic beer!

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Looks great. Pours a dark brown, almost black, color with a thick foamy head that dissipates slowly leaving great lacing.

Smell: Has a nice nutty smell to it. The nutty smell is backed by a sweet roasted malt smell. A smidge of grassiness in the background as well.

Taste: Has a strong roasted taste similar to a stout or porter. The taste is backed by a light nutty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Pretty smooth and creamy feeling.

Drinkability: A pretty tasty brown ale. Looks and smells a lot better than it tastes but still not bad. Worth a try.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a nice black color with a long lasting nutty head and very nice lacing.

Smells a bit weak with some unnerving metallic notes in there.

Thankfully that metallic smell isn't present in the taste. Lots of nice nutty, malty, sweet flavors. I think I also taste a hint of coffee. Very nice.

Nice and creamy in the mouth. Nice carbonation.

Very drinkable. I wasn't too impressed with Purple Haze, but this is pretty nice. I would definately grab it again.

I am not a huge fan of Brown Ales, but I haven't had a TurboDog in a while, so I gave it a whirl.

It is exactly what I think a brown ale should taste like. Malty, a little sweeter than most, with a little hops pushing the beer forward.

Then beer is dark brown, with a tan head. The malt is the dominant taste, until the end where the little bit of hops coming in at the end. Maybe a bit too sweet, but the very light in the mouth making it very drinkable.

This a beer I would drink anytime I felt like a brown

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (they moved to pop-tops now!) into a pint glass.

Dark brown, almost black color with a fizzy off-white head that dissipated quick. Not a lot of lacing.

Some coffee on the nose, hint of chocolate... nothing too strong.

Taste is more of the same, nothing stands out... a little chocolate but too watered down to really be good.

I dunno... I used to really like this one, and it's still a decent beer, but I think I'll stick to it on tap at the bars and not spend money to bring them home.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint
Now this is one really good brown ale. Has a lot of good taste and hits the sweet spot between being just enough and too much flavor. I wish I could get a lot more of this and am thinking about getting another family pack just for the Turbodog.
Look is dark brown with a finger of tan head that did reduce a little but I drank the beer so quick it didn't have a chance to shrink much.
Smell is a little sweet think I get a hint of mild roast and chocolate.
Taste is roasted sweet malt with just enough bitterness to balance. I get a mild after taste of coffee.
Feel is creamy with good carbonation medium bodied
Drink OH YA, this is one drinkable beer. I want a lot more of these.

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.66 out of 5 with 2,915 ratings