Turbodog | Abita Brewing Co.

good
TurbodogTurbodog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate toffee-like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our flagship brews.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Reviews: 1,014 | Ratings: 2,877
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Stouty for a brown, and too chocolately. Very malted milk and drinkable at the end of a humid day. Me Ovaltine. Not too sweet, but the chocolate malt overwhelms brown character. Nicely hopped and somewhat bitter finish. Interesting and satisfying. Medium mouthfeel.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

A bit like a good beer hiding behind lace curtians- you get an idea of what is there, but no details. Thin, and somewhat watery, but what flavor there is is very nice, coffee and mocha, finished with a nice tartness. Smells the same. A nice beer, but not overly remarkable. Bet it is good on tap though.

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Very nice chestnut brown color. Great tan head. Aroma of chocolate and malt. Slight trace of vanilla. Good malty flavor-nice caramel sweetness with a very low bitterness behind it. Not overly sweet. Slight chocolate fading in the backround. Nice body. Quite a drinkable brew. Bet this could be excellent on tap. Wish I had another to sample.

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Nice tan three-finger head (maybe it was my pour?) quickly becomes two finger loose head, and it coasts down further from there only slowly, until it's gone. Looks almost black on the table, but holding it up to the light reveals the mahogany beast underneath, with orange hints at the bottom..

Smell is light, raw, earthy, and malty. Not much in the way of hops on the nose in this one. Seems to bring up spicy chocolate.

All at once, the initial taste brings up notes of coffee first, then cola- but not name-brand cola, definitely a cheaper off brand. However, it is not unpleasant at all. There's not an overt hoppiness. It's well hidden, but its presence is there. Sort of like a backing vocal to sweeten the lead. There's just a bit of lingering bitterness on the aftertaste.

The body is thin, but not watery, and is accompanied by a carbonation that's tight and small at first, then quickly swells and disappears.

I find this one very drinakble- a great session beer when you want something a bit more flavorful, but not strong and heavy. However, I think after one or two, I'd want to move on to something with more gusto. (I tend to have a restless nature and bounce around anyway. I rartely drink just one beer in a session, when faced with more than one option.)

Be well
-UF

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

A deep, dark brown that glows red when held up to a light. Been getting a lot of these dark browns lately. Unlike some others, though, this one's smell and taste live up to its dark color. It smells malty, chocolately, and nutty. Taste is similar, malty and chocolatey, with a bitter and burnt husky finish. Slight chocolatey aftertaste. Mouthfeel is satisfyingly thick. If the taste and smell were just a bit more balanced it would be a great brown. As it is, it's just too sweet. Has potential, though.

Thanks to BigLove for the bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Turbodog. Wow, what a sweet name.

Pours a very dark mohagany color with a nice deep tan head that leaves way too quickly. The nose is of sweet malts. Extremely sweet smelling. Taste is a little more mild than I had expected, but absolutely not bad at all. As I get about 1/2 way through the beer, it actually tastes very good. Not too strong and overdone. I notice flavors of sweet caramel malts and a little hint of coffee. Finishes clean. I'm surprised to find no aftertaste. None whatsoever. The mouthfeel is average and the drinkability is outstanding.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Enjoy by 07/29/05 nicked on the label. Turbo Dog is no dog. What a beautiful dark mahogany brown brew! Thick rocky light brown head that disipates rather quickly. Malty, nutty aroma with a faint hint of hops. Taste is very much like it smells, only thicker. This is a fine brew, just a little too rich on a hot Carolina day. Would be great on a cool October football weekend with a brat. Ruff - Ruff!

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%

The beer arrived on the table crystal clear but black with a ruby highlight. The head was off-white, low and persisten enough to lace the glass.

The aroma was lightly toasty with some fruity presence at first and then trasformed as it warmed into an overly estery and fruity mess. The ester profile took over the brew and slight coffee and chocolate emerged later, but could not overtake the fruit character.

The flaovr was fruity with a very light coffee and chocolate presence. As the beer warmed, the estery fruity flavors emerged and a slight sourness emerged. While still cold the beer had an acrid dark grain present that was not well done.

The finish was dry with lasting light expresso coffee and chocolate into the aftertaste with a low fruit component. The body was medium light and a bit watery. I remember when this used to be a favorite. Now I would say skip it.

Pint at Flying Saucer in Columbia, SC.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

This bottle is best before September 12, 2005. Unless this is really dated. Appearances reveal a nearly stout coloured beer, except I can see light through it which casts some ruby colouring about the edges of my glass. Not much head attempted by the inner workings of this beverage. Lace is unheard of in this particular land of Turbodog. Some beige spittle lingers atop the surface of the glass.

Smells are brownish. Nutty with some faint sugary tones. Somewhat soured impressions greet my grill. Smells like a porter to my untrained nose. I guess this is an English brown. So many styles, so underdeveloped of nostrils. Toasty and dark. Milky inuendos. Raw and natural characters are here.

Tastes are like a nuttier, watered down (in a good way) porter. Less dairy than a porter as well. Sorry. This is my first of the style. Slightly dried out in the finish which leads to the desire for more swallows. This really is a drinkable glass. I cannot finger exactly what it is that I like here, but this is a damn tasty brewha. Appropriate body to match the flavour profile. This really is a good beer apart from the subdued nose and lazy visuals. I am looking for flavour above all else, and this is a prime example of why this is a good philosophy. I could surely swill these at will. A session entity for shizell. P'raps me should suck down s'more Abita beers.

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%

Picked up a 6 pack of this brew at Luke's in Rockland, MA during an Offshore tasting.

Beautiful Autuum brown body. Smells of roasted malts. Mmmmm....roasted malts.

Nice thick off whitish head with thick lacing.

Karma is smiling upon me on this night of malt. Sweet malty taste with just a hint of bitterness. Just what I've been looking for. Sweet and malty. That about sums this baby up and I couldnt be happier.

It's a very malty birthday so far to say the least. It makes turning 33 almost ok. If for some reason I get crucified this year or die doing a speedball at least I'll have tried this malty baby, which is more than I can say for a few of the famous people who only made it to their 33rd year.

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown with red hues. The large tan head quickly dissipates to a thin resilient layer.

Nose is malty with hints of yeast.

Thy flavor is dominated by malt, but it does have a subtle amount of hop presence. There is also a slight roasted flavor too.

Mouth feel is medium (a bit watery though) bodied and nicely carbonated.

This is a smooth brew, worth a try if you like the lighter side of the dark stuff.

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%

Sitting on the coaster, it's simple dark brown with red-orange highlights (Shoeshine Boy). When held up to the late afternoon sunlight, it becomes a fantastic shade of polished black cherry (Underdog). Okay, so maybe you prefer Clark Kent and Superman, but I wanted to stay with the dog theme. The head is a humdinger as well; creamystiff golden ecru with rockiness to spare. Turbo Dog has a great look if you have sunshine handy, and is pretty decent even if you don't. A lack of lace is the only downer.

The nose is par for the brown ale course and isn't quite the equal of the appearance. It smells more like dark caramel and toasted nuts than it does of roasted malt, chocolate, etc. In other words, the aroma doesn't have designs on porter territory like some browns do. I'm okay with the fact that there's very little hoppiness.

Feh. This one has to be classified as a letdown. There's a shortage of flavor and a way too light body. The Dog needs a significant infusion of malt. Then, and only then, will I be able to take it seriously. I can appreciate caramel and chocolate flavors, but there's so little substance that it seems as if malt extract was used rather than barley.

The nutty flavor is a little harsh, as if pecans were toasted too long and started to char. There's also a little bitter hoppiness that wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if the malt content was adequate. Brown ales should be malt-dominant, shouldn't they? All kinds of mildy unpleasant flavors are permitted to have their say because of the grain shortage.

The flavor profile sorts itself out a little better on the finish, but it's too little, too late. The body is as thin as an anorexic chihuahua (dog theme again) and the relative lack of carbonation contributes to the lackluster mouthfeel, keeping this beer solidly in the 'below average' category.

I had heard good things about Turbo Dog. Even though I haven't been impressed with Abita beer in the past, I was willing to believe that this was their flagship, their pride and joy, and was therefore a cut above. Then I drank this bottle. Far from a snarling, vicious hellhound, it's more of a toothless old pooch. I'm still waiting to be impressed Abita. What else you got?

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a bottle with an August 30, 05 best if used by date. Pours out a dark brown color with rosy hi-lites around the edge. The head was about a finger high, tan in color and very frothy. The head settles down alot and leaves only a small amount of lace.

The aroma is nutty and slightly alcoholic. There is a strong caramel maltiness in the smell also. Also, some coffee beans. This is a slightly chewy brown ale with a strong coffee taste. There is a hint of an alcohol taste in there as well. Not a bad beer, but more like a porter than a brown ale in my opinion.

4.57/5  rDev +25.5%

High marks, I know, but I like this beer.

A: Bottle label is different than the pic, mine is black with some wheat stalks barely visible. Anyway. Pours a deep deep brown color with just a hint of garnet in the light. Nice head at first. Scant lacing.

S: Wow! Dark malty sweetness with hints of caramel in there. Can't really smell any hops. Very appealing, nonetheless. The malty profile is lovely smelling.

T: Toasty malts, just this side of sweet. Hop flavor comes very late and provides just a tap of bitterness that seems to set you up for the next sip. Do I detect a bare hint of coffee here? Amazing tasting beer.

M: Alcohol warmth is perfect. Lets you know it's there without needing any attention. Medium body. Moderate level of carbonation. Dry feeling late just makes me want to take another sip, then another, etc.

D&N: He may not have sent me this one, but BigLove turned me on to Abita with the Abita Wheata he sent me. Thanks for getting me interested in this brewery, everything I've tried from them has been tasty, this one is just off the scale drinkable. I now have a definite beer I'll think of when I think of English Brown. Superb beer and I can't recommend this one enough. Go Get Some!

Tried this on a recent trip to New Orleans. Hadn't had it since I was in college, as Abita brews were the best option at most bars in the southeast.
I tried both on tap and bottled versions and really enjoyed both a lot. The bottled version had a slightly more sour taste, but both were equally good.
I pours a dark amber color...almost like a cola color.
The head is lighter and has good staying power.
The flavor is like chocolate and caramel with just a hint of bitterness and grain at the end. Like I mentioned earlier, there's also a sourness that's slightly more pronounced in the draft version. It reminds me of a tiny citrus zing, but I really can't describe it very well!
Overall a great beer. If you're in the southeast and looking for something unique...or if your local store carries it you can't miss with this one. It makes for a wonderful session beer.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Purchased at Trader Joe's in Reno, NV. I was wondering what to expect from this one and it surprised me.

A dark, dark brown with just a bit of light showing through on the edges. Smaller head than expected but it was of decent quality thickness that settled down and hung around throughout. The smell is malt.

This beer coats your mouth a bit and has a very thick, malty chocolate flavor with a slightly burnt taste around the edges for some character. Overall, very mild and smooth. Great for sipping. It got me through several hands of poker. I'd definitely pour this one again but I haven't seen it in California yet.

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

poured a deep mahogony color with large puffy head that dissipated to thin lacing. Smell is chocolately-carmel with coffee background. Taste is superb with a slight sweetness, deep coffee-chocolate overtones and a lingering bitterness. An extremely tasty enjoyable beer.

12oz bottle from BigLove as part ofThe Blue & Gray BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" tan head above the burgundy brown brew. Head lasts well, and laces nicely also. Aroma is grain husks, with a touch of fruitiness. Taste is dominated by grains, which is what I like in a brown, almost tastes kind of worty. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both very nice as well. A pleasant surprise compared to the on-tap version of this that I had awhile back.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer pours a dark brown with a light brown head. The head appears very thick and creamy. It fades very slowly leaving lots of thick laces. It smells biscut like. Also, it smells malty. I am having trouble detecting any hop aroma. It tastes biscut like with a slight caramel taste. It has a slight chocolate taste also, but only very subtle. As with the aroma, the hop presence is almost undetectable. This beer is medium bodied. It is carbonated well and goes down smooth. The taste leaves a lot to be desired from an English Brown. This might make a good session beer because it is not high in alcohol. But I am not too excited with the taste. I will probably never drink it again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep clear brown with a light khaki head. Some fine lacing. Smells of caramel, nutty.

Taste is alot like the smell. Rich caramel amlt with hints of molasses. Nutty with just the slightest bitterness in the finish. Smooth as velvet in the mouth. Light, long lasting stickiness in the aftertaste. Really nice and drinkable. A surprise as this is a great tasting smooth brown ale. Straight-forward and uncomplicated but very much to style and is elegant in the mouth. This is from Louisiana?

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance - A good brown beer that's not too dark or too light, and there's just a touch of head that leaves good lacing.
Smell - Malty and a little nutty with faint hints of caramel and hops.
Taste - I get a lot of subtle flavors like caramel, nuts, fruits, definitely malts, and there is a bitterness in the finish that makes me keep reaching for the glass. Good balance.
Mouthfeel - Light to medium body which is par for this style I believe, regardless my expectations were met.
Drinkability - Good taste and good balance make this a very drinkable beer.
Thanx Biglove

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

I was happy to see this beer finally in Michigan. Pours a deep abmer/brown color with an okay head, and good lacing for what the beer is. Aroma is very faint, not much going on there. Taste is surprising rich yet light of chocolate malts. Mouthfeel is nice, slightly thick and creamy, yet light enough to make it a session beer. I like this, and can see myself getting it again and again.

2.06/5  rDev -43.4%

Not much information on the bottle, seeing it styled here as English brown ale is almost a surprise to me...What is it with American micros and the word "dog"?

Appearance: Darkish red, with only a faint lacing. Looks more like an alt to me.

Smell: I think this one is infected...Grainy, but also wet cardboard and skanky beauty salon permed hair.

Taste: Heat stricken indeed, which is weird, because I got from a fridge, guess it got stored in the heat beforehand...Smokey, watery and just not very agreeable, this one ended up in the drain.

3.93/5  rDev +8%

Medium bodied, dark garnet red color with a short tan head.

Aroma has a bit of caramel, fresh bread and a hint of chocolate.

The taste is malty - caramel, coffee, over ripe fruit, and again a hint of chocolate. Smooth, creamy, with a touch of vanilla in the aftertaste. Very easy to drink. Very nice.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a nice dark brown with some decent head. Light lacing down the glass.

Aroma shows off some toffee, sweetness and the lightest hint of fruit.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Nice toffee flavors blend with a light hop bitterness and fruits. Some sweet bready flavors come through as well and a light sweetness is left in the finish.

A fine brown ale. I spent a night drinking these and hanging out with close friends, in my opinion, a very nice pairing.

Turbodog from Abita Brewing Co.