SOS (Save Our Shore) | Abita Brewing Co.

SOS (Save Our Shore)SOS (Save Our Shore)
3.7/5
Good
SOS (Save Our Shore)SOS (Save Our Shore)

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: German Pilsener

This Abita Beer is a message in a bottle...a distress signal for the troubled waters of our Gulf Coast. For every bottle sold Abita will donate 75¢ to the rescue and restoration of the environment, industry and individuals fighting to survive this disastrous oil spill. This unfiltered Weizen Pils is made with Pilsner and Wheat malts. It is hopped and dry hopped with Sterling and German Perle hops. It has a brilliant gold color, a sweet malt flavor, and a pleasant bitterness and aroma.

Added by Beerbuddha on 07-21-2010

1.84/5  rDev -50.3%

This beer gets a 'B' average; obviously this is testament to the fact that there are completely insane maniacs walking our city streets, including tickers.

A - It looks like Blue Moon or Shock Top, only more piss-yellow.

S - This is some repugnant shit, as my man Jules from Inglewood might say. I would not be surprised to learn that this brew somehow incorporated toxic petrol sludge, fatally stricken seabirds or maybe some other flotsam and jetsam. There is a rancid sweetness, some wet-dog and a mushy pea aroma; to describe any more would be just disgusting.

T - Again, disgusting. The themes of the nose are repeated. Wet-dog, roadkill, and microwaved fish meet triple-hops brewing, the vortex bottle, and the Rockies turning blue.

M - I did feel violated, but I won't press charges, officer.

D - Great gimmick for Abita; I feel like I've really given back to the gulf community by buying this blasphemy of a beer. Maybe if Louisiana can suffer more calamity, Abita could find impetus for more special releases.

2.18/5  rDev -41.1%

2.49/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured into an Erdinger weissbier glass, while listening to LCD Soundsystem. This seems like a fun idea, hope it pans out!

A - Really nice white lacing. Straw gold colored body with chill haze.

S - Dry Hopping really dominates the aroma, but at least does so in a fresh, snappy, lemongrassy way. You ever stuck your nose into a bag of hops? There you go...

T -The malt presence reminds me a bit of a Kolsch, only with some astringent grain presence. The hops again are very powerfull, with plenty of grass and lemon flavors. The finish is minerally, with plenty of hops that for whatever reason do not work for me. They seem astringent and out of balance in a way that seems to take away from the beer, unlike many other well-hopped beers.

D - This seemed like a nice idea that just didn't quite pan out for me. Not so bad I wanted to dump it, but at the same time I won't go for it again... Anyways, I hope my 75 cents can do some good...

2.62/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a hazy, pale yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, a faint Saaz hop. In the taste, a sweet malt and a small saaz hop, very clean though. A small hop bite and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry saaz/ pilsner hop in the aftertaste. A standard pils, yet a bit sweeter.

2.65/5  rDev -28.4%

A-very thick head, which lasts about half of the glass, very good lacing. Yellow, with a little bit of cloudiness.

S-mainly german hop aroma, some sweetness from the malt, but very pleasant.

T-wheat malt comes through, as well as the yeast that is still in the beer. Finishes with citrus hops. Very nuetral flavor all around, nothing really sticks out as memorable.

M-wheat gives this a soft mouthfeel, very light. Excellent carbonation, head lasted almost the whole glass.

D-only reason I would buy again is because of the money they are giving to charity. I love a well made pilsner, but I feel the wheat gives it too soft of a flavor, way too nuetral tasting for me.

2.68/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of rmalinowski4. Served in a tulip.

Pours a very clear golden color with a thin white head. Not much retention but some good spotty lacing and a nice collar on the way down. The nose carries quite a bit of bready malt with an ever-so-slight presence of floral hops. The flavor is mostly bread with a touch of sweetness and grain. Nothing too complex and no real hops. The body is not terribly impressive. Fairly thick and chewy with lower levels of carbonation. Some alcohol and no real hop presence. Not a big fan of this.

2.84/5  rDev -23.2%

It got my attention with the unique graphic and reading the .75cent per bottle donation to gulf coast repairs It was a no brainer pick up. Poured into a sam adams pounder glass it forms a strong and sticky off white head. Tons of lace. Tons of carbonation racing to the surface. Its a lively beer to say the least and good to look at.

Soft and mild malts lend room for a hop snap that never comes. It then goes sweet towards the finish and a lingering grain aftertaste. A german pilsner is a bit of a stretch as the hops never really develop. Tastes more like a polished up macro lager except sweeter and less clean in the finish.

Not for me. Although they NAILED APPEARANCE...ho hum.

2.85/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I'm usually never a pilsner German pilsner fan per say. I enjoy some Pilsners with a full body thicker feel and better after tastes. This one was decent in its pallet feel and taste. A little dry for my taste but definitely was a great beer for smell and look. Soapy thin head, poured nicely in a pint glass. Wheatley pale gold color. Not a bad one

2.97/5  rDev -19.7%

Picked up a 22oz bottle at Whole Foods for $5. Nice deal for an Abita special brew, or so I thought.

A- Golden yellow with bright white foam, filling up my glass with a two inch head which sank slowly and left a mild lace on the glass.

S- Sour apple smell, with some typical Pilsner notes. Very interesting vanilla comes through as the beer warms.

T- Sour fruit continues into the taste, a bit metallic and tangy. Some staleness, but the tasty vanilla saves the flavor profile in the end.

M- Alcohol in the mouth and nose, and rather syrupy for a pilsner. I might have pulled this back to a session-beer ABV, but it works if it's kept very cold.

O- I don't plan to buy this one again. I'm glad that $0.75 made it to a good cause, but unless a sour-vanilla pilsner sounds right up your alley or you're a big fan of ABITA already, I'd say skip this for Purple Haze or their standard Amber.

Found this at a dave and busters, only craft bottle they had, probably sitting on the shelf for the past year (there was unadvertised special on the bottle for 4.95) pours a very nice golden color with about an inch and a half of well retaining head that clings to the glass well after every sip. Super neat appearance. Smells of floral, citric and piney hops. Very pungent and nice. Taste is clean and light in body, grainy sweetness up front and nice hop bitterness on the back end.

Nothing special in particular about this beer but a very clean and decent flavored pilsner (which is a tough style to pull off correctly)

Decent for a charity beer.

SOS (Save Our Shore) from Abita Brewing Co.