SOS (Save Our Shore) | Abita Brewing Co.

good
SOS (Save Our Shore)SOS (Save Our Shore)

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: German Pilsener

This Abita Beer is a message in a bottle...a distress signal for the troubled waters of our Gulf Coast. For every bottle sold Abita will donate 75¢ to the rescue and restoration of the environment, industry and individuals fighting to survive this disastrous oil spill. This unfiltered Weizen Pils is made with Pilsner and Wheat malts. It is hopped and dry hopped with Sterling and German Perle hops. It has a brilliant gold color, a sweet malt flavor, and a pleasant bitterness and aroma.

Added by Beerbuddha on 07-21-2010

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

My buddy bought this because he loves Abita. I was game so we opened it up. Poured into a standard pint.

A - Pours pale yellow with a thick pillow of one finger white head leaving thick sheets of lacing down the glass.

S - Some grassy hops up front with a bit of spiciness. Some lemon, bready malt, and some wheat. A touch dry toward the end. A good balance with all things appearing to be in equal proportion.

T - Nice hop bite up front giving way quickly to a mix of citric hops and plenty of chewy malt. Finish is pretty dry with some lingering bready yeast. I prefer beers from this style to be clean and crisp but this one was still very enjoyable. I just wish I could have enjoyed this one on a warmer day..

M - Medium light body with light flavor and moderate carbonation. Chewy feel with plenty of bready yeast in the finish.

D - Pretty good. A good beer overall for a good cause. I like my pilz to be a lot cleaner and crisper but I still enjoyed this one quite a bit.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle. Poured into a pint glass a clear golden color with a big fluffy white head of 2 fingers. Clean and crisp aroma of light cereal. Sweet start that gives way to a slightly sweet bitter ending. Easy drinking and very light. It's a little sweet though.

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%

The appearance is ok. It is a little hazy for a pilsner but a nice color and frothy-white head that diminishes to a thin topping with nice rings throughout the glass.
The smell is very nice, though too much floral and citrus for a pilsner.
The taste is where the 7.0 abv comes in. It is on the bitter-hoppy side,(which I enjoy) but finishes a bit dull, over the top for the style.
The mouthfeel is heavy for appearance, but excellent in flooding the mouth with flavor.
The drinkability is fine. But, for the abv, I would rather up the style and profile than stick to a pilsner

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear gold, with 2 frothy fingers of eggshell-white head. This retains with a rich looking finger that rings the sides of the glass with sticky lacing. The aroma is grassy and spicy with a touch of damp earth. This is fairly forward with some bright citrus character as well (especially lemon) which mixes with the wheat and bready malts to give off quite the ripe twang of flavors in the nose.

The taste is moderately bitter and spicy in the mouth, with a flavorful bite of earthy citrus. Zesty fruit and the sweetness of the malts give this a bready tanginess that permeates the profile. The finish is dry with lingering notes of citrus peel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy on the edges but then gets much more prickly as it hits the tongue and give this an overall smooth crispness across the palate.

This one just worked for me. The citric flavors of the hops and the bready twang of the wheat and Pils malts combined with that crisp body to make this a flavorful and easy drinking affair. I think that the lemon and wheat in particular gave this a breezy summer feel that I enjoyed. I could see myself sipping on one of these on the beach. This is a worthy beer for a good cause. Pick one up if you see it.

3.61/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I cheated a little on this one, pouring my 22oz bottle into an imperial pint. Great pour even so, with a nice fluffy white head, sticky lacing and a cloudy/clear golden straw body. Head sticks around for a very long time.

Smell is grassy and floral hops along with some sweet grainy malt and a little bit minerally.

Taste is interesting, the wheat comes more into play here, you can sense that this a wheat-pils fusion. Hops and a touch of spice are dominant, but it seems a little washed out, especially at 7%, it seems like there should be more going on here. I'd expect easy drinking from a standard session pils, but this beer was brewed with some twists that just don't seem all that apparent.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and dry. Alcohol is well hidden.

Drinkability is ok, not really a session beer and its not pils-y enough for me. I'm glad I tried it, I appreciate what Abita is doing here, both with the cause and the beer.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

poured into imperial pint glass

A= Golden color, the color of apple juice...slightly cloudy. Half inch of foam head.

S= floral

T= bready taste at first but no citrus; very little alcohol taste

M= silky; higher ABV for style

D= lower carbonation + easy drinking taste + higher alcohol = trouble. It is perfect for our weather (60s and sunny).

I was born in La., so the combination of the brand and message really stikes a chord.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a bright gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains lager yeast, light malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out with bready flavors of lager yeast and a thin but hearty malt character. There's a faint bit of sweetness and a decent hops presence providing a good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and has a good Pils type of bite to it.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, this is a nice strong than average Pilsener that is worth drinking for a long time.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a Blue Moon glass there was nothing atypical looking about this pilsner. Bready nose, smooth mouthfeel but pretty light body. Nothing jumped out at me about this beer, but then again it was a bit old. I drank this for New Year's and when I purchased it, it was a dusty bottle. I don't regret it though, worth the charity, grab it while it's around.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

A: light gold in color with a dense white head with bubbles of carbonation rising to the top. Looks like your typical lager
S: pale malts on the nose with a touch of bitter hop aroma. Again, typical for a lager
T: Pale malts with a touch of citrus most likely from the dry hopping. Lingering slightly spicy aftertaste with a touch of alcohol toward the back end
M: decent with prickly carbonation. typical but you'd hope a 7% beer would have more body to it. a little creamy from the wheat
D: it'll be no problem to drink this beer

Overall - a worthy beer for a worthy cause

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

22oz bomber.
A) Pours with a finger thick head then settles to a thin lacing at the edge of the glass. Gold in color. Hazy body. Mellow upward carbonation.
S) Notes of pear, apple and grain.
T) Subtle banana flavor. Wheaty. There's a hint a hint of orange peel taste. The malts are present but mellow.
M) Mostly a light bodied brew. Creamy. Dry. A bit of gritty feel in the finish.
D) A decent brew. Not my preferred style but good nonetheless.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

a - poured a two-fingers thick, fluffy white head into a pilsener glass that left clingy lace and a thick sheet througout. the body was a bright and somewhat bubbly golden color.
s - metallic and bready nose with some floral hop aromas.
t - bready and maltier than i am used to in a pilsener. crisp, citrusy hop bite in the finish.
m - creamy and smooth.
d - good beer and definitely a great cause. not one of my favorite pilseners though.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a fan of Abita beers for the most part, but I went out of my way for this one ... great bottle art, and an even greater cause. Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a .5L stein.

The pour results in a fluffy off-white head; the ale is a nice golden hue. Patchy head retention and good lacing on the glass. Aromas are sweet malts and hop spiciness that tickles the nose. Dry straw. I pull berries from the aroma, and they seem a tad out of place but they're not unpleasant by any means. The carbonation on this beer is pretty low...at least lower than I'd want in a pils. The flavors are sweet corn and bitter, spicy hops. Not much complexity in the flavor. The beer was ok, but I saved the bottle for a while. Very nice art.

eyes...
beautiful white head settling in at one finger and it hangs around, lacing is nice and the head has a great consistency of same size microbubbles, clear golden straw hue, really dead on for the style. the head is thick and creamy. nice.

nose...
euro floral hop aroma is really sounding out here, touch of honey, some bready malt, dry grain, nothing complex but hits the spot style wise.

taste etc.
the taste is pretty average... disappointing, the hops are OK, some herbal notes with a touch of honey finish. The body is good (not too heavy, not too light). It drinks smoothly. There is no hint of this being above the usual ABV for the style. The carbonation is clean and crisp. I can't quite place what is missing.

verdict?
this looked and smelled promising but wound up as "good" overall. Not worth selling your first edition new mutants comic for.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bought a bomber of this at the liquor store because of the backstory (donation to help clean up the gulf oil spill) and because it seemed like a good beer to enjoy that night. I feel that I made the right decision on both counts. Poured clear, straw golden with a short cap of white head. Aromas of lemon, pale malts and a light hoppiness. On the palate, crisp and drinkable, light bodied, like a pumped up pils, with more bready malt, a little honey and a hint of lemon.

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%

A: First of all, love the look of the bottle, and that is actually something I do take into consideration when I'm rating the appearance. I take into account the overall presentation of a beer. Cap, bottle, and actual look of the beer are all things I look at.
Clear bright goldenrod/honey hue. 1 to 2 finger thick fluffly head which disipated at a moderate speed. The head leaves a nice blanket on top of the beer and also leaves sticky foamy lacing on the glass that dries into place. Looks like a great beer.

S: Fresh cut grass scent is present up front which is followed by a grainy malt sweetness. On the finish of the scent is what seems to be some lemon citrus combined with spicy hops. Rather simple scent, but I wasn't expecting anything complex. Pretty average straightforward.

T: Piney and grassy sweetness is the initial taste found. It's followed up with some grainy malt notes. I was actually surprised that pine was going to be the dominating taste in this beer. It's not bad, just unexpected for me. Also the finish is slight lemon zest and herbal hops. The front of the taste is rather unbalanced, but by the finish it's smooth.

M: Medium leveled carbonation with light to medium body, and a crisp, mouth-watering finish.

D: The drinkability is quite good, and the relatively high especially with a 7% ABVthat fails to show itsel. It's always good when the brewer masks the alcohol as excellent as Abita has done with this one.

3.46/5  rDev -7%

Christmas present from my roommate, 22oz bomber poured into some fine Packers themed glassware.

A - Nice golden color, bordering on orange, decent head subsided quickly to moderate, but sticky, lacing.

S - Biscuits, grass, a little citrus, a little spice

T - nice sweetness to this, biscuit, toffee, some floral notes, nothing too exciting but not bad

M - A little watery, at the same time, never threatened to be too heavy

D - certainly quaffable, managed to drink the bomber by myself without noticing how much I had consumed (sounds kind of alarming, but I'm just going to blame a stressful day at work)

Not my style, but certainly something I would recommend to a macro drinker and maybe even buy for myself during the summer.

Slightly hazed golden hue with a fully formed thick billowing white head. Fine speckled lacing left behind as the head dwindles down. Lemongrass, herbal qualities, very nice light biscuit malt presence...solid pils from Louisiana. Upfront citric, grassy, biscuit malts and a dry yeast finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied even carbonation going on. Drinkability all day effortless beer drinking experience.

3.86/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes from 12/11/2010:

22 oz. bottle at 42* into a Franziskaner Weizen glass.

A: This pours a mostly clear and beautiful golden color with a gorgeous, two-finger, fluffy head that laces well.

S: The nose shows aromas of lemon, toast, grass, and light peppery notes.

T: The taste is of lemon and grass up front with biscuit, pepper and sweet caramel maltiness finishing.

M: It is quite effervescent but not over-bearingly so, with a medium-light body, and a crisp, mouth-watering finish.

D: This is lighter-tasting than the 7% abv indicates, and is definitely the best offering I've experienced from Abita.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

220z bottle. Pours a cloudy straw color toward the bottom, and darkens into a shade of honey toward the fluffy three-finger head: some decent lacing and strong retention.

It smells of citrus and soap. The echoes that, with just a taste of corn, candy, and delicate hops.

It's light on the tongue with nice citrus notes, and not syrupy before the spike of the sizzling, drier hop finish. It's very drinkable. It's not revelatory, but a well above average pilsener.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

I would say this beer is yellow in color, but I guess straw-gold sounds better. With solid white head. Smell is subdued and quite pleasant full of flowery hop notes. There is a definite sweet hoppy bite at first sip, but overall the beer is light and refreshing (considering it's alcohol content). Very drinkable. Very enjoyable.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours a golden yellow color with 1/2" head that slowly falls. Some lace paints the glass.

Smell: grass and lemon zest are most notable.

Taste: lightly grainy malt base with grass, soft biscuit tones, and lemon zest create a decent beer.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, lightly crisp at the finish. Aftertaste is relatively clean.

Drinkability: nice refreshing beer that is very easy to drink. Definitely worth giving this one a try.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Pouring it from a 22oz bomber, it was a clear honey/goldenrod color with hazy sunny highlights. It gradually built a 2-finger thick fluffy, pearly white head that slowly, slowly (slowly) fell into a thin blanket of froth that covered the liquid throughout the drink. It left quilts of foamy lacing sticking to the glass that refused to let go and eventually dried in place. Immediately upon pouring, there was quite a bit of visible carbonation, but once the bubbles left the side of the glass, any carbonation became invisible. Quite a beautiful presentation that led the way to a great drink.

There were early wafts of something very herbal and a light cut-grass sweetness followed by a grainy, honey-malt sweetness. I wasn't really expecting anything in particular, but I found the initial sweetness very welcoming after a week's worth of IPAs and hop-filled brews. Closely tailing the malts was a faint yeasty lemon juice bitterness and some lightly spicy hops that gave the nose just enough oomph to keep it from being too clean. All together, the smell was rather simple and none of the aromas overpowered any of the others; they all complimented each other with hearty high-fives and pats on the backs - it was a nice, friendly melting pot of ingredients.

From the nose, I was eager to see how the taste compared, as I've found that usually the taste is much more robust than the smell when it comes to hops - granted, not always, so I'm not jumping to conclusions here. Taking a few sips, I found a spicy bitterness right at the front that was mellowed out by a light cut-grass sweetness that had been rolled with some grainy honey-malt notes. I was surprised by the strength of the light lemon peel and herbal hops, but pleased when they were quickly smoothed out by a final subtle caramel malt that added some body. It carried a medium mouthfeel, thanks to the malts, with a fine, airy carbonation, leaving my mouth much dryer than I would have assumed possible. It wasn't a disagreeable ending, but I was hoping that the clean aftertaste would keep my mouth watering after I swallowed. One thing I found interesting was that through the second half of the bottle, I started snacking on some white chocolate macadamia cookies and man, oh, man did they enhance the sweetness of this beer almost three-fold! I could barely taste the hops by the end and I now know that beer and cookies can accompany each other as long as there are plenty of sweet malts to go around.

I really enjoyed the SOS pilsner both for its overall drinkability and the warming sensation I started to feel after half the bottle (anything with 7% and higher ABV is perfect for getting those blood vessels closer to the surface of my skin), but I was especially happy to be able to support the Gulf restoration with this little act of drinking.

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%

I was happy to find this in Missouri, any time I can drink beer for a cause, I'm down with that!

Pours an effervescent gold/bronze with 4 fingers of cream colored head. Superior head retention & lacing

S: Bready with wet grain, grassy hops as well

T: Grassyness, crackery & lemony notes up front. Dryness, grassyness, grapefruit & slight metallic hop notes as this warms along slight grainyness. Finishes grassy, with slight honey & apricot notes, along with lemons & grapefruit, almost pulled a 4.0

MF: Medium bodied with soft carbonation. I would've liked a bit more maltyness to balance out the hops

Drinks easy, the ABV is well hidden. A bit more complexity would've helped the cause

3.47/5  rDev -6.7%

Cold 22oz bottle poured into pint glass. Beer pours piss pale yellow with giant bubbles of carbonation rushing towards the surface and a thick white head of the same. Aroma is faint, but crisp, and pilsnery.

Flavor: similarly mild, dry, with just a bit of sugary sweetness. There's nothing about this beer that would betray the 7% ABV...I might have guessed four and a half :O

Only after reading the writing on the painted label can I detect the single curve this beer throws at its drinker: it's a "Weizen Pils". The wheat flavor is definitely there, but only as an echo of German Hefeweizen flavor -- so far removed from what I'd expect from a Pilsner -- and especially after the unforgiving filtering job this beer has been through.

Very good overall, but I have to ding it a few points for unnecessary sweetness. Neutral flavors work well for a pilsner beer, but keep it far removed from greatness.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

22-ounce brown bottle poured into a pilsner flute.

Pours with a full three fingers of bright white froth. The thick foam is extremely stubborn, lingering for nearly the entire duration of the drink, leaving thick patches of lacing all the way down the walls of the glass. Pale in color, with the color of noon sunshine, a slight, ever-so-faint haze indicative of the wheat malt employed in the brewing.

The nose is mostly subdued, with a somewhat sweetish malt note and some lightly fruity, floral hop notes, with an ever-so-slight hint of herbaceous character.

Light-bodied with a mild-to-moderate carbonation, combining with the wheat to provide a rather soft mouthfeel that is very pleasant. Lightly sweet up front, but the hop character quickly takes over the palate. There are no overly assertive characteristics here, with the hop notes providing mostly a somewhat spicy, mildly bitter middle with some subtle grassy notes. The finish is mostly dry and clean, with a faint kiss of grain in the aftertaste.

Drinkability is quite good, and the relatively high 7% ABV fails to show itself until late in the game, wherein it only appears (after an entire 22-ounce bottle) as a bit of airiness in the head, never showing itself on the palate. I'd swear this was nothing but a standard American-craft-made Pils, but a bit "imperial" it is; wonderfully executed and, quite possibly, one of the best offerings Abita has put into bottle. Subtle complexity is one of the hallmarks of a good pilsner, and Abita can certainly check that one off its list -- and in an "imperial" variant, at that.

SOS (Save Our Shore) from Abita Brewing Co.