Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Purple Haze | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Added by kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Reviews: 779 | Ratings: 3,176
2.86/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a hazy yellow color with a very modest head. Reminds me of a hefeweize in its appearance.

The nose explodes of raspberry, and overwhelms everything else. There's some tartness and very subtle sourness, but this is all about the raspberry.

Smell is more subtle than the taste, but the balance is still a little bit off. It's quite drinkable though, even though I wish it was more carbonated as it feels a little bit flat.

3.23/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: [3.50] Really pale straw colored beer. The beer is cloudy looked and It forms about 1 finger of white head. The head has small bubbles with chunky large bubbles thrown in. The bottle lists the ABV (4.2%) and there is a best by date (09/12/16).

S: [3.50] 50% raspberry and 50% lager (frosted corn flake scent).

T: [3.00] Not as pronounced as the nose. This is more like 25% raspberry, 25% lager, 50% nothing. What I mean is that the flavor is quite mild. Raspberries, corn, some sweetness imparted from the malts.

M: [3.25] The beer has a medium body and fair carbonation. Maybe a little chalky feel to it.

O: [3.25] I am not a huge fan of raspberries - but the taste is more "generic fruit" that specifically raspberry - so it is okay. This beer has some interest in the nose but the flavor is more bland and muted. I would not seek this out again.

L: Uniquely good looking beer. In between golden and amber, but with a bit of color that's hard to place. Unfiltered goodness. No lacing other than a few dots that sink to the bottom.

S: Light perfume that's not too overpowering, distinctly raspberry smell - props for matching exactly what's advertised

T: Raspberry and wheat balanced well. Brewed with Vanguard hops and I couldn't detect any hop flavor or smell, but it could just be my palate knowledge lacking

F: Medium light thickness goes down smooth with average carbonation.

O: Will drink again! I've had fruit beers in the past that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, but this is one of the solid ones, just under Well's Banana Bread Beer to me.

3.77/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Abita Brewing Co. - Purple Haze. 4.2% ABV. 3oz sample pour in mini mug.

Look: Has a cloudy yellowish orange body.

Smell: The aroma on this instantly reminded me of Corn Pops cereal; not like an AAL, but more of a sugary grainy aroma. The raspberry is noticeable too, however not instant like the sugar.

Feel: Light body and heavily carbonated.

Taste: Same as the smell; sweet Corn Pops cereal with underlying raspberry.

Overall: Had at the Firkin Fest 2016 in Ashland, KY. This was very different from what I am used too, and very different from what I expected. It wasn't bad at all, but I wasn't expecting a breakfast cereal beer.

3.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a bottle into a Pint glass.

Pour is a hazy orange color with about 1/2 finger of fluffy white foam. Decent retention and lace on the glass

Smell is like a raspberry smoothie with some underlying malt aroma and some citrus. Perhaps a bit of yeasty component as well. Overpowering fruitiness.

Taste surpisingly isnt heavy on the raspberry. Tons of malt flavor almost overshadow the fruit. Mostly sweet all the way through. For me a bit more bitterness could have helped.

Feel is light in body with lots of carbonation. Beer is crisp but the lack of balance hurts the drinkability a bit.

4.11/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 Fl oz bottle - $9.50 locally for 6

Pours a hazy tinted orange with a quick dissipating head and very small lacing around the inner glass. Smells outstanding with tons of sweetness and a bit of wheat. It's tastes outstanding - large sweet fruit up front with a bit of carbonation and a wheat backbone on the rear of the taste, leaving a crisp aftertaste.

3.59/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle Best by 9-18-16. Hefeweizen glass.

A (4.5): Pours surprisingly orange, and fairly clear; disturbing the sediment and pouring it renders it a hazy orange, but with enough clarity to see the streams upon streams of carbonation. Hazy, but no purple in mine. 2 fingers of bright white head. Retains a 1/8 inch white cap. Lacing is excellent. Retention is excellent.

S (4.25): Raspberries! Loads of raspberry fruitiness, a little citrus, and some wheat. Never had a wheat lager; for a lager this thing is throwing off tons of aroma, albeit only really one aroma.

T (3.0): Arrives very light in flavor. Slightly tart. Is that raspberry? To me it is a very light citrus and berry, with a little sourness, a very pleasant and light maltiness. Doesn’t taste as much like raspberry as it smells. This is really light, but eminently sessionable. Still, I’d probably rather do a session IPA or a traditional pilsner.

M (4.5): Super light, and super crisp. Highly carbonated, with small bubbles and a little carbonic bite. Some wheat slickness, but really retains its character as a lager with a very clean finish, with some lingering fruit.

O (3.25): This is one of the first craft beers I ever had, a very, very long time ago. Back then, I drank it not because it was craft, but because it was beer and fruity. Now, there are so many more choices on the market for wheat beers, and fruity beer was only my thing for a very brief period. I’m glad I paid this a re-visit, and if I were at a festival or something that offered it with my kids, I might get it, or if I plan on drinking for hours on end and need to keep my wits about me; but all told, It’s not something I plan on getting again. Sure is a pleasure to look at, though!

3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Drank from the bottle so really don't know what it looks like. Smell of raspberries and malt. Taste sweet slight raspberry with more malt. Decent feel not watery or thick. For a flavored beer not bad. would drink again.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overall: Meh...underwhelming across the board. Not much in the way of glass
presentation and smell. Has a bit of a purple tint, without anything discernible
in terms of head or lacing. Slight note of berry in the nose. Underlying tasting
note is tart. Mouthfeel now descript. Not really my cup of tea.

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on draft during the summer. Honestly, the only flavor(s) that stands out is raspberry. It is pretty tasty and I enjoyed it, but it isn't my absolute favorite fruit beer. I would have it again, but I could see myself getting burned out on it quickly.

After having a good experience with Abita Turbo Dog, I tried this one. Unfortunately, I bought a 6-pack of it. It was bad enough having to finish one of these, but having to finish 6 of them was punishment. Beer should taste like BEER. I am definitely NOT a fan of these flavored beers.

3.34/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer is light orange with a purple tint. There is a small lacy head. It smells strongly of raspberries. The taste is bluntly sweet and tastes lightly of raspberries. More sweet than berry tasted actually. There is not an aftertaste. There is a sharp beery taste that strikes the tongue at peak ingestion. The mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly creamy. Overal,, a good beer, especially if you like raspberry.

3.95/5  rDev +23.8%

On tap, Hawkeyes on Taylor.
Slight sweetness and a bit of a banana aftertaste. Having not researched it at all,the raspberry taste wasn't immediately distinguishable. I didn't see much purple, but it's a bar so..
Very easy to drink. Ended up having 3 back to back in less than an hour.
Would absolutely recommend.

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had been avoiding this variety for a while, because I thought that it might be really sweet and grape-like. I was wrong. It has 4.2% ABV and 13 IBUs.

Look-The head is silky smooth almost nitro and is one finger thick. It has good retention and is nicely fluffy and is very white…likely due to the yeast. The lacing is wet, drooping, and frothy. The beer itself is quite hazy with a deep yellow or a light amber orange. I don’t know the SRM off hand.

Smell-It smells mostly of yeast and malts and with an almost imperceptible underlying hop component.

Taste-The malts are very grainy and have an almost hay-like flavor. This malt backbone overwhelms the raspberry and any tiny bit of hops that were used…although this makes sense considering it has only 13 IBUs. The mouthfeel is light-bodied and crisp and smooth.

Overall-It isn’t sweet like I thought it would be and the raspberry and grape are barely noticeable to me. It is much better than I thought, but isn’t the greatest beer I’ve ever had.

3.04/5  rDev -4.7%

It's not purple, it's a golden orange, but you do see the haze. Smells sweet, and not as much raspberry as expected. The rasberry flavor is there, but I smell and taste banana over everything. Not a bad beer, and doesn't taste like anything else that I've tasted, but nothing to get excited about.

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I like this beer more than most people - I like how hazy and tingly it is. The smell is fruity and the taste seems like they took a lager and added synthetic seasoning, but to me it works. This beer tastes like a weird Japanese dance club in the 80s. It's odd and tart and memorable.

3.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours with an eggshell white frothy head that quickly dissipates. Looks golden with a bit of haze to it and lots of streaming champagne like bubbles.

Smell is like a raspberry with the sweet and tart smells.

And the taste is like a raspberry with that same sweet and tart taste. The sweet is not overly strong and neither is the tartness, but it is in there.

Feel is fizzy, watery and refreshing with a crisp snap to the finish.

Overall I see this as a nice refreshing summer beer for those hot days. At 4.2 ABV this one drinks real easy but I think the tartness might set me back to only having a few before calling it quits.

3.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Abita Purple Haze.

Ahh finally back from a small bottle share in which I got to try some new styles of beer. Be live it puts me right at 100 different styles had by now. Anyway, this is a left over from a few nights ago on a budget. Only had one beer out of Abita and it was pretty meh, so I don't have high expectations here. Let's do it.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a dimpled pint glass. Beer pours a deep orange hue with touches of copper and a nice finger and a half of thick, densely packed head that dies down to a thick cap of froth amongst the top of the swill. Carbonation also appears to be about medium. A rather good looking beer thus far. Leaves a fair bit of lacing and stick.

Smell - The raspberry is quite a bit weaker than I was initially expecting. Lots of grains with an almost malt liquor like essence ( think Colt 45 ) with some artificial raspberry tossed into the mix. Minus the alcohol scents. Doesn't smell bad by any means, just not quite what I was expecting.

Taste - Very light flavor profile although the raspberry does turn up a bit here but not by much. The sweetness is quite prevelant and it still retains that malt liquor essence mentioned in the nose. Grains are indistinguishable and the sweetness is almost syrup like.

Feel - The body itself is rather light though there is a high creamy factor due to the fanatic retention of the frothy cap. Flavors take on more of a corn flake nature as it sits around the mouth. Carbonation is rather mild. Swallows easy with just a touch of tartness.

Overall - It isn't all that shabby. Not as flavorful as I was expecting. More of a BMC style beer with a touch of raspberry added to it. Easily quaffable and inexpensive. Wouldn't buy it again buy would have no problem drinking this. As always, try it out and come to your own conclusions..

4.03/5  rDev +26.3%

I ordered it with a meal on a whim and I enjoyed a lot. I've since had it bottled and on tap now and both were very good. Tap was obviously better and for me at least this one has to be cold to work. Really cold. I brought a six pack home and it had time to lose just a bit of chill and that actually made a difference to me on this one. I went back later and had one that I'd let get truly cold again and it was what I'd originally expected. It's got the beautiful "purple haze" look and it has a very clean smell with just a bit of the raspberry in it. It tastes like a fairly typical wheat beer until the raspberries kick in during the aftertaste which I found kind of sweet and refreshing. I think it's definitely worth giving a try! It's become my go-to beer when available to go along with really spicy foods.

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It has the hazy look to go with the name perfectly. There's not much smell at all. It has an aftertaste of raspberries but it's not an overwhelming flavor which i was afraid of when i bought it, so i was pleasantly surprised.

3.24/5  rDev +1.6%

Nice cloudy haze in a light orangy golden beer. This beer has a nice citrusy and fruity flavor and aroma from the raspberries it is brewed with. Fruit is just right, not too overwhelming. Little head retention, no lacing.

All I can say is if you don't like raspberries, I'd avoid this. It tasted like raspberry juice, if there was such a thing! Was also very "wheat" tasting. Will not try again.

2.97/5  rDev -6.9%

This one is just not very good. It has potential, but I feel like they just threw in some artificial flavoring. It tastes like cough syrup and was just not very enjoyable.

2.29/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Smells like Eggs? A little weird. Small headCreamy head. Rasberry, Blackbarry. WheatxSlowly Settling in to the beer, getting better, but not great.

1.53/5  rDev -52%

Abita purple haze , good amount of smoke after popping the top with a slight head. Has a wheat like smell with a raspberry hint. Meadium body easy to drink but very watery over carbonated and just not a very good weak ass raspberry flavor. Maybe some teenage girl might like it and that's a very unlikely might. D-

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.