Purple Haze | Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Added by kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Reviews: 788 | Ratings: 3,215
Reviews by UCLABrewN84:
3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a clear reddish-yellow with a foamy bone colored head that fades to nothing. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of wheat, grain, and some slight berry aromas. Taste is much the same with a slight perfume-like flavor on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer that is drinkable but not something I would seek out again.

4.47/5  rDev +40.1%

Bottle of purple haze drank.

4.71/5  rDev +47.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice mouth feel, nice raspberry flavor. Easy drink.

I just picked up an eighth of purple haze, and dare I say, fire!! My dealer really hooked it up this time. This is what I thought:
Look: Beautiful lavender tricombs, and crystally AF.
Smell: Smells like a skunk just got hit by a car outside my front door. Even when its in a mason jar. Good luck keeping your roommates from smelling this dankness.
Taste: It was a little funky.. I wouldn't recommend eating the nugs plain. Looking back I would've used the marijuana in some sort of marijuana butter and baked with it.
Feel: I felt the universe cover me in a warm blanket, and stroke my hair.
Overall: great head high/body high. 10/10. If I were you, I would try and get my hands on this strain ASAP.
All I know about the beer is that it's alcohol by volume percentage is 4.20, blaze it.

I don't have much experience with other fruit beers so I have no basis for comparison.

Being a fan of the Abita brand, and looking for something refreshing during our current heatwave, I opted for this raspberry beer. Upon opening the beer I was impressed by the raspberry aroma. It wasn't overpowering, just enough to let you know it was there.

My next impression was the taste. Since I drank the first one on the way home from the beer shop (I know, I know), I didn't get to look at it first. With the temperature hovering at about 107, in a car with poor air conditioning and windows that are stuck about 3 inches down, I found this to be the most refreshing drink of anything I had ever had. I am a fan of wheat beers, and this did not disappoint. The raspberry flavor was perfect, not too much, not look weak. The tartness added to a crisp mouthfeel that made it the perfect summertime beer.

Once I got home, I poured one in a glass, and was immediately taken by the color. The pale yellow tinged with a "purple haze" was truly unique. The head was on the thin side, but no beer is perfect.

4.2/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Underrated beer. Very creative and refreshing, but still tastes like a beer and not a girly substitute.

3.95/5  rDev +23.8%

Great light beer for out on the boat, just easy to drink

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Have bought this for my wife many times as she came to like awhile back,pours a hazy orange with a light puple tint to it usually not much head pretty flat lookin.Aroma has a graininess to it with an artifical raspberry tinge to it.Taste is up and down has some decent raspberry flavors to it with a light wheaty malt flavor vut it really sputters out about half way down the glass.After one bottle I normally cant drink anymore its cloying,the sweetness really comes up fast on ya.

2.89/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance – This one is a hazy light orange in color with a nice, white head.

Smell – The light American grain is kind of wheatlike. There’s a very faint tart raspberry aroma here as well.

Taste – The grain is a little rough around the edges and leaves a harsh aftertaste, but I enjoyed the raspberry flavor. It didn’t have that overzealous sweetness to it like a lot of flavored beers. It was very tart and authentic, like fresh-picked berries (like black berries, almost).

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied beer had a slightly tart finish.

Drinkability – This wasn’t really that bad of a drinker. It delivered on what it promised, that’s for sure.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

3.57/5  rDev +11.9%

On-tap at Patton Alley Pub, which just got Hopslam on-tap, good for them.

Looks a little purple and definately hazy, like grapefruit juice, maybe.

Strong, fragrant raspberry nose, maybe some wheat and yeast, not much else.

Tastes pretty much the same, medium carbonation, semi-dry finish.

2.05/5  rDev -35.7%

This is, to me, one of those "Why bother?" beers that might be fine with a meal, but just lacks any character by itself. The mouth feel was very thin and watery and left me searching for something to wrap my tastebuds around.

It poured a bit cloudy with a thin head that all but disappeared quickly. The berry flavor was not overpowering and the brew was not overly hopped as is the fashion of so many small brewers.

There are much better wheat beers out there.

1.5/5  rDev -53%

3.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

3.44/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.