Purple Haze | Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Added by kbub6f on 10-19-2001

3.2

Ratings: 3,283 |  Reviews: 807

At least when you get a macro, you know what to expect.

All I can say is if you don't like raspberries, I'd avoid this. It tasted like raspberry juice, if there was such a thing! Was also very "wheat" tasting. Will not try again.

1.06/5  rDev -66.9%

11/02/04- Purchased in a drive through liquor store in Tempe, AZ

*reviewed from notes

Appearance- Pours with zero head and zero lacing. I semi-opaque reddish color.

Smell- Shit, I think I got a skunkified batch. (tried again later that year), shit, it still smells pretty much the same. Had a strong skunky wheat smell. Kind of like the Pyramid beers smell like to me, but much worse.

Taste- Damn awful. Either this is skunky or it's not far from being one of the worst beers ever. Maltish-wheat flavor. Very tart and pungent taste. Bad taste that is. Kinda like a raspberry fermentation experiment gone wrong. Drastically wrong.

Mouthfeel- Tons of carbonation. Like a cheap ass raspberry soda with chunk of god knows what swirling around in my mouth. This beer had me wanting to gag. All three of us had it and all of us thought the same thing. My buddy was the only "man" who could finish the whole bottle.

Drinkability- Nope. Stay away. It's unlikely we got two bad batches over a year apart. My number two worst beer. I don't think it will be suplanted any time soon.

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.