Purple Haze | Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze
3.28/5
Okay
Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Added by kbub6f on 10-19-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 3,345 |  Reviews: 819

1.09/5  rDev -66.8%

Let me start out saying this. I've been on beeradvocate for close to 4 years and i've never felt obligated to review a beer. However, this thing they call a beer so disturbed my taste buds i couldn't help it. My girlfriend who will put down bluepaw and milk stout all day said she couldnt even smell it. It tastes like moldy rainwater at best. I would rather have to snort milwakees best.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Lightly hazed tarnished golden hue. 2 finger bright white head which settles to a half finger lace. Raspberry puree and sweet malted grains on the nose.

Fresh raspberry taste up front which follows through onto the middle of the tongue. Rich thick sweet bready malts make themselves known as a dryness on the finish which cuts the raspberry sweetness. The wheat subtlety adds a dry finish. Almost like a sweet raspberry nut muffin minus the nuts and in a smooth liquid form. Moderate body with good carbonation.

Interesting combo of fruit and lager. Nothing sensationable but fresher tasting than most other fruit beers. Also to add another note, this is a fruit beer I could have more than just one of, not too heavy one fruit and not loaded with wheat.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

I don't have much experience with other fruit beers so I have no basis for comparison.

Being a fan of the Abita brand, and looking for something refreshing during our current heatwave, I opted for this raspberry beer. Upon opening the beer I was impressed by the raspberry aroma. It wasn't overpowering, just enough to let you know it was there.

My next impression was the taste. Since I drank the first one on the way home from the beer shop (I know, I know), I didn't get to look at it first. With the temperature hovering at about 107, in a car with poor air conditioning and windows that are stuck about 3 inches down, I found this to be the most refreshing drink of anything I had ever had. I am a fan of wheat beers, and this did not disappoint. The raspberry flavor was perfect, not too much, not look weak. The tartness added to a crisp mouthfeel that made it the perfect summertime beer.

Once I got home, I poured one in a glass, and was immediately taken by the color. The pale yellow tinged with a "purple haze" was truly unique. The head was on the thin side, but no beer is perfect.

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

4.5/5  rDev +37.2%

2.25/5  rDev -31.4%

4.5/5  rDev +37.2%

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.28 out of 5 with 3,345 ratings