Purple Haze | Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze
3.29/5
Okay
Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Experience the magic of Purple Haze.® Clouds of real raspberries swirl in this tart and tantalizing lager inspired by the good spirits and dark mysteries of New Orleans. Brewed with pilsner and wheat malts along with Vanguard hops, let the scent of berries in the hazy purple brew put a spell on you.

Added by kbub6f on 10-19-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 3,394 |  Reviews: 828
2.96/5  rDev -10%

Light bodied, hazy orangish color with only the faintest hint of pink/purple and a fast disappearing white head.

Aroma is wheaties with a light raspberry tone. Taste is citrusy grain, light malt with a raspberry flavor coming in the middle and lasting into the aftertaste, definitely not overpowering. Starts slightly sweet, ends up slightly dry and crisp with a bit of floral hops and raspberry.

Drinkable, especially ice cold.

3.62/5  rDev +10%

There is a light head to begin with which becomes small islands of thin bubbles, very little lacing and hazy golden color. Smells malty and rasberry. There is very nice tartness from the rasberry that leads into a malty sweet finish, real clean. Medium body with a splash of carbonation - it's very refreshing. I wasn't sure what to expect and I find this a pleasureable beer to drink.
Thanx 4da beer Biglove.

3.26/5  rDev -0.9%

Picked this up from "To Your Health" (Coralville) so I could compare a raspberry wheat I recently made to a commerical example. Poured a two finger pure white head over a very cloudy light dirt rust liquid (I stirred the sediment and poured it in). Smells were limited to raspberry with an acrid quality about it. Taste was smooth and sweet. Cool and nicely raspberry. Raspberry started from the get-go and was a gentle presence throughout. Clove was hidden beneath the raspberry. Aside from that all I could get was a watery flavor and maybe some pear on the tongue. Md light mouthfeel and mild to moderate carbonation. This would be easy drinking on a hot summer day. Nothing to get exceited about, just a pleasant beer.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle with the freshness date notched on the back of the label. Blurb about the brewery on the back.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy gold with just a hint of purple to it. Thin head that leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell: Very light raspberry aroma, with some wheat mixed in.

Taste: Nice tart berry flavor without being overly sweet like many fruit beers. Along with the berry is a nice grain flavor.

Overall impression: Thanks to BigLove for the chance to try this one. Nice light summer brew - good berry flavor without being artificially sweet.

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

One of my friends came over with a new beer tonight after I had already had quite a rough session of my own, including another new beer. This one was a somewhat dark for a wheat, but still looked the part. The smell was of wheaty malts and rasberry, as was the taste. Nothing exceptional, but merely what the name delivers. Decent, but not something I would likely spend a night with.

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

a bit odd in appearence. def. hazy though so they got that right. lightly wheaty in the aroma and sure theres the little fruity notes. taste wise...lightly wheaty and lightly fruity, go figure. balanced yes, just not a very flavorful beer. refreshing as all hell and crisp in the mouth finishing with a well carbonated tingly bite. a good beer for what it is.

3.57/5  rDev +8.5%

Did I even get the right draft sent to me? I had no idea this was a raspberry flavored brew until reading this site. It makes sense with the name (which I really like), but nothing reminded me of similar beers of the style. Definitely disappointed, a bit hoppy on the tongue. Paid $3.50 at the Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta.

4.37/5  rDev +32.8%

I really like this beer.

Purple Haze is nothing too special, but for what it is, this is an exeptional beer. It is perfect drinking when you want a beer with a fruit flavor, but nothing overpowering.

The rasberry flavor is not strong, but it is ever present in the background.

I got hooked on this when I lived in New Orleans. Friends that I have recommended this to have also become hooked, even non-beer lovers. Girls love it, but it is not a girly beer.

Give it a shot.

3.27/5  rDev -0.6%

Has a limpid amber appearance, head quickly faded away. Cloudy. Nose reminds me of Frankenberry cereal, and the taste keeps continues that theme well. Fairly sweet & fruity, but enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. Malt is hidden well, and no hop flavor exists. Medium-light body.

I admit to not being a fan of non-lambic fruit beers, but this one is slightly better than most I've tried.

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

Received as a part of the Confederate BIF from BigLove, this beer came is a brown 12 oz. bottle with a psychedelic label. The beer looked cloudy, and fizzy. The head was foamy and left some average lace. The aroma did not emphasize fruit, but instead this smelled more like a yeasty wheat ale with some sour mash. The taste was light with raspberry flavor coming through in a very subtle way. Unfortunately the malt base backing the fruit was very bland and flavorless, which was all the more surprising since the body was not too thin. Hardly any hop presence. I had seen this beer for a while on the shelves and had been avoiding it, since I am not a big fan of fruit beers. This one is not awful, but it won’t change my opinion about the style.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

This beer is OK, Sorry ladies but this is a chick's beer. It was recommended to me by a chick and it doesn't do it for me.

It pours kind of a pinky raspberry. (purple?) Not much head to speak of.

It smells and tastes like raspberries. It is too sweet for my taste.
The beer lacked body and it was a bit light for my taste.

I will stick to the Abita Amber, which I think is quite nice.

2.87/5  rDev -12.8%

Aroma: Almost no aroma to speak of, there is a faint raspberry aroma if you can get in close. The aroma might improve if this beer had been served in a glass more appropriate to the style.

Appearance: A lovely golden tan with a very faint purple color around the edge, which is even more visible during the pour. A careful pour didn't produce any significant head.

Taste: This beer had a faint wheat taste that was most noticeable at the start. A pleasant citrus and raspberry flavor assert themselves in the middle and finish.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer that is smooth with a light crispness.

Overall I was hoping for more from this beer. The promise of a wheat beer combined with raspberries made me look forward to trying it, and the appearance certainly hinted at that. The taste fell a little short. It had a nice raspberry flavor to it, but was lacking in wheat-beer character.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

I admit, I was drawn to it because my favorite color is purple, my favorite beers are wheats, and my favorite fruit is raspberry. However, this beer fell far short of my expectations.

It was pretty to look at. It had a lovely amber color that was ever so slightly tinged with purple. The effect was almost iridescent. It was quite opaque, as one would expect. The scent was quite slight, and I had to inhale deeply to detect any smell at all. What I did get was feint raspberry.

The taste was quite weak. There was a slight raspberry front that fades in and out through out the beer’s trip across the tongue. A nutty hop finish hits strongly at the end, and a sleight hop taste is present throughout. Although very effervescent, the beer is on the thin side. All in all, a rather hum drum experience.

2.89/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance – This one is a hazy light orange in color with a nice, white head.

Smell – The light American grain is kind of wheatlike. There’s a very faint tart raspberry aroma here as well.

Taste – The grain is a little rough around the edges and leaves a harsh aftertaste, but I enjoyed the raspberry flavor. It didn’t have that overzealous sweetness to it like a lot of flavored beers. It was very tart and authentic, like fresh-picked berries (like black berries, almost).

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied beer had a slightly tart finish.

Drinkability – This wasn’t really that bad of a drinker. It delivered on what it promised, that’s for sure.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Caramel color and poured up very cloudy with lots of sedement. Big frothy head faded fast. Bland aroma that doesn't really go with flavor. Malty taste quickly gives away to rasberry flavor. I wasn't really impressed with this beer. I was more intrigued by the name. Perhaps it would be better with Jimmy. Probably wouldn't recomend it.

1.96/5  rDev -40.4%

I usually try to be open minded about new beers I try, trying to find positive qualities even in styles I don't particularly care for. But I find it hard to say much positive about this particular brew. I actually thought I received the wrong beer when it arrived at my table, seeing a slightly cloudy liquid, looking like a light pilsner in color (it was dark bar, so they may have been some orange, but certainly nothing purple), and with hardly any head. I gave it a smell just to be sure, and did notice the rasperry. Feeling a bit relieved, I tasted... and tasted again, and was baffled. It tasted as if someone added a small amount of rasperry syrup to a flat Bud Light (a definite corn or rice flavor). I realized before ordering that I wasn't about to receive a fine Belgian lambic. But fruit flavor added to weak-tasting beer just doesn't leave me with anything positive to say.

After reading some positive reviews by others, I'm wondering if I just drank a skunked beer. Maybe I'll pick up a fresh bottle and give it one more try...

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

12 ouncer, has a hard to comprehend, consume before date notched onto the label. better then nothing but not much. this one pours a cloudy cantaloupe melon color, moderate carbonation and body. Nose is subtle fruityness. this is litely flavored wheat like concotion. Soft malty up front, notes of fruit, sweet berries, flowery. Slight hop bite in the finish. Light, fruity, sweet and refreshing, worth a try if you like em on the light, mild, fruity and sweet side. Good for light fare and dessert.

3.42/5  rDev +4%

On tap at a local New Orleans restaurant, The French Quarter Cafe.

Pours a medium golden with some faint purple-ish hues.

Aroma shows off a moderate raspberry with some grain as well. Pleasant if not complex.

Light-medium body that starts with a tart raspberry flavor that becomes a bit sweeter as it progresses. A bit of grain flavors come through near the end.

Easy drinking fruit beer, not especially exciting but I'm sure it would be refreshing on a hot day.

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Being a lifelong Hendrix afficianado, I just had to try one.
The color had a ghost of red which made it inviting. It had a thin head which didn't last and I could detect the fruit aroma.
The taste was light and refreshing with very subtle fruit which I like.
After that, not much malt or hops to bring me back.
Good for a raspberry wheat, but nothing to kiss the sky about.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer failed to impress me in any way.

It tasted and smelled very much like a Fat Tire Ale, with a very malty, bread-like character. The fruit seemed forced - and the beer would have been so much better without it.

The foamy lace was thin and the beer was a cloudy orange-red color. I did not particularly enjoy this brew at all.

1.06/5  rDev -67.8%

11/02/04- Purchased in a drive through liquor store in Tempe, AZ

*reviewed from notes

Appearance- Pours with zero head and zero lacing. I semi-opaque reddish color.

Smell- Shit, I think I got a skunkified batch. (tried again later that year), shit, it still smells pretty much the same. Had a strong skunky wheat smell. Kind of like the Pyramid beers smell like to me, but much worse.

Taste- Damn awful. Either this is skunky or it's not far from being one of the worst beers ever. Maltish-wheat flavor. Very tart and pungent taste. Bad taste that is. Kinda like a raspberry fermentation experiment gone wrong. Drastically wrong.

Mouthfeel- Tons of carbonation. Like a cheap ass raspberry soda with chunk of god knows what swirling around in my mouth. This beer had me wanting to gag. All three of us had it and all of us thought the same thing. My buddy was the only "man" who could finish the whole bottle.

Drinkability- Nope. Stay away. It's unlikely we got two bad batches over a year apart. My number two worst beer. I don't think it will be suplanted any time soon.

3.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance - The beer is cloudy, just the way a wheat beer should be. Also, I wonder if the beer might have fruit pectin that has been set? Probably not. Also, I hope this is actually a wheat beer. If not the appearance is seriously flawed. Color is dark golden to pale amber.

Smell - Great subtle fruit smell. Appealing aroma that invites you to drink, and then drink again. This is the best part of this beer.

Taste - Good, smooth flavor. The fruit (which seems to be some sort of berry) is not overpowering. Slightly sweet. I think this beer is better than some "candy" type fruit beers I have tasted. I would buy this beer again.

Mouthfeel - Seems appropriate for the style. Not remakable one way or another.

Drinkability - This is an easy-drinking beer. I suspect that more sophisticated palates may find this beer boring. Also, thos who dilike fruit beer should avoid itHowever, this is a good beer to use when introducing macro-swilling friends to craft beer.

Comments - I was a little surprised by this beer; it was better than I thought it would be. Drinkers of heavy, complex Belgian beers will probably want to look elsewhere. Many folks seem to be unimpressed with Abita, but I would suggest that this beer is a pretty good showing.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Sampled on draft, Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth, Tx. A hazy orange beer with a minimal, white head. Raspberry and floral aroma. Raspberries dominate the flavor to the exclusion of practically all other ingredients. Smooth and easy-drinking. The cool name outshines the quality of the beer.

3.37/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed 10-17-2004
12 oz brown twist top, notched date of 7/12 (why, WHY don’t they list a year), and I’m past due. I’ll try to make allowances.
Aroma (3.5): Tart raspberry/cranberry nose with some mild lambic-like characteristics.
Appearance (3.5): Unusual hazy peach/orange color (tried hard to see purple, but didn’t) with a respectable white cover. Small trail of lace followed the beer down with mini tide marks.
Flavor (3): Fruity, raspberry mostly, but there is an off/adjust taste that is getting in the way. I know I have an overdue bottle, but this tastes more like corn or rice. I don’t notice any other reviewers noting this, so it must be the dated bottle. Has some grainy wheat/hay like flavor as well which works in its favor. Fruit flavor was pronounced at the top of the beer, but has faded as have the off/adjunct tastes.
Mouthfeel (2.5): Light body with some oils, triggers a smack more than a chew.
Overall Impression (3): A good fruit-wheat beer. Fairly tart, somewhat refreshing. I could see this as a session on a sticky New Orleans summer afternoon

Re-reviewed 3-3-06
Bottle Inspection: Best before 8/17 notched (sampled 3/3, hey, if you don’t give the year, neither am I!). Notes it’s a raspberry wheat beer. No abv but the OK+ gives a hint.

Aroma: (3.5) Raspberry comes through fairly well, fair yeast note as well and a hint of alcohol

Appearance: (3) My clear mug shows a very hazy (duh) peach glass with a thin cover of white that drops to a collar that fails to lace.

Flavor: (3.5) Wheat/grain flavor is prominent, fruit comes through a bit citric, orange rind, then raspberry. Overall the flavor is fairly mild.

Mouthfeel: (2.5)A bit fizzy, thin body, slick texture and dry finish.

Overall Impression: (4) Easy drinking thirst quencher. I’ve fond memories of many, many, many mugs of hazy on Bourbon Street watching the timeless exchange of beads for pleasure. It’s hard to be impartial. Still, while this isn’t a “BA” kind of beer, it is a nicely done fruit lawnmower, the value of which should not be undervalued until you feel the sauna that is the Gulf Coast in August.

3.7/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An inch and a half of white fizziness sits on the hazy, orange-gold, blushing beer. There are peanuts (of course) and overripe raspberries in the nose. Raspberries abound in the dry (but not tart) front. The middle is thinnish, fizzy-tingly and sweetish with raspberries. Finish is again mostly berries, but also grainsy and a little bitter. It's not bad. The raspberries are a nice offset to the Abita peanuts.

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.29 out of 5 with 3,394 ratings