Purple Haze | Abita Brewing Co.

Purple HazePurple Haze

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

Added by kbub6f on 10-19-2001

Reviews: 783 | Ratings: 3,187
3.48/5  rDev +9.1%

Best before 6/17/06 12oz bottle (only size it comes in)

Bottle says this is a lager. (just to throw that out since i havent seen that said anywhere else)

Pours out a hazy very light orangish color with a slightly purple tint to it. Nice off white head to it. I should say now, if poured into a wider glass, you'll get a better purple color and is more hazy.

Smells. Rasberries dominate, but is not strong at all. gives it a rasberry fruity sweetness to the smell. Smell also reminds me of grape jelly.

Taste. I can start tasting the rasberry puree in this, along with a grainy maltiness and a little bit like cereal. Not sweet, really more on the dry side. I wish it was a bit sweeter. Has a slight cardboard taste to it as well. Aftertaste is grainy with a smally rasberry kiss to it.

Mouthfeel is ok. Medium body. Good carbonation. Not bad, but nothing to get worked up on.

Overall. I do have to say this: this beer down here is kinda known as a girlie drink because fruit is added (though the ones knocking it are the ones sucking down bud lights- reeeal many). But on that note, i never order this at a bar b/c of that fact, plus i can usually get something better. But it is much better on tap, lots more rasberry flavor and tartness.

Really only good on tap...

2.44/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a bright orange hue with a 1/4" head which disipates rapidly. Kinda cloudy... interesting, yet not special.

Pretty rank smell... kinda fruity, but mostly like spoiled something or other.

I remember this tasting alot better... but this is just.... ugh.... bleh. Some blueberry, eh... refreshing, but bleh.

A bit thicker than the normal macro stuff, and with a bit less carbonation.

Drinkable, but I simply dont want to. I remember this beer being alot better... oh well... glad I stole it from my girlfriend's stash =D

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a hazy gold from the bottle with not a whole lot in the way of noteable carbonation. It's not noticeably purple... The raspberries really dominant the aroma of this, can't detect much besides raspberry, besides a little mild wheat. This fruit beer manages a fairly good balance in the taste department. It's not overpowerlingly fruity, but the fruit definitely comes across. For me, not very drinkable, but I bet a lot of girls would like this one.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

From a fresh keg, this pours a well hazed light amber with noticable hints of pink in the body, but not in the bone white head.

Aroma is crisp and tart wheat notes, lemon zest, and restrained notes of tart, freshly crushed raspberries. I was expecting an alcopop kiddie beverage, this smells like a beer.

Flavor is a little too subtle. Hints of coarse wheat and bread slathered with lemon curd followed by tart/sweet fresh raspberry flavors. Nice, real tasting berry flavor, but not enough wheat comes across and there is no discernable hops.

Body is between light and medium, is well carbonated. with a soft, wheaty mouthfeel and somewhat grainey texture. Although one -dimensionable, it's very unassuming and easy to quaff.

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

I've had a few of these, and no two pours have yielded the same color scheme. So far I've seen a light purple and a orangish/reddish pour; both had nice foamy heads. I love raspberries, so the lingering smell was delightful. Tasted very fruity...definitely an after-dinner or desert beer for me. Mouthfeel was good...very smooth with little carbonation.

2.46/5  rDev -22.9%

On-tap at Faegan's

Hazy amber, dont see much pink tint, but the lights were a little low. Not really any head or retention. Smells like sweet adjunct ala Rolling Rock, bleck. Taste is fairly smooth, but I'm not getting any fruit out of it. Again, there's a definate adjunct factor here. Its a smooth and easy drinking beer, but it tastes like a dressed up corn-macro.

3.71/5  rDev +16.3%

Tried from a bottle at a Super Bowl Party. Poured into an ice tea glass as that was what was available. So basically a pint glass.

I was a little leery as I'm not the biggest fan of fruit beers or rasberries but I was pleasantly surprised. This tasted like a beer with a little bit of tartness from the berries. I've had some fruit beers that tasted like Nehi or Fanta.

The appearance was a bit off setting. I don't like seeing plum color to my beer even if it is suppossed to have fruit. The smell was of a good lager with a hint of the berries, very nice. The taste like I said was very good. I think I liked this better because instead of being made with too sweet of a fruit flavor that let the berries replace some hop bitterness with a tart flavor that was very good. I would still rather have a regular beer but this was pretty good.

3.35/5  rDev +5%

I know what i said but this beer came with an abita glass if you tried it. I plunked down the $5.15 for the take home glass and tried the abita puprle haze on tap. So shoot me. (BTW Winking Lizard in Fairlawn rocks!)

As far as my beer review:

See the bottled version but with a little better mouthfeel (heavier and more consistent) and a slightly stronger raspberry.

I find that a single beer has two identities.... one on tap and one bottled. This is a beer that is better on tap. Pass if you see it in the bottle but it may be worth a try on tap.

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured with a hazy light pinkish/purplish color into an average pint glass. Has a pretty average smell to it, with a hint of the raspberry flavor that is contained within. Has a clean taste, with a bit of raspberry flavor that reveals itself to you slowly as your drink it. The mouthfeel of this beer is crisp and clean, its a perfect beer to take the edge off a hot summer day(or a hot meal). I wouldn't call this an amazing beer, but it definitely has its place in my beer fridge.

2.51/5  rDev -21.3%

I've been told a few times, "you gotta try Purple Haze, you'll love it". To be honest, it's never been something appealing to me, so I just haven't got around to it. It was on-tap at the KROQ Brewfest at Santa Anita Park this weekend, so I decided to give it a go.

It poured a very odd color, a purple haze, as the name suggests (well actually it was more of a murky pink - but there's no Hendrix song they could attached that to). It wasn't very appealing. It had a wheaty aroma with hints of raspberry. The taste was somewhat sweet, somewhat watery - more iced tea than beer. It is tart with a light body. The small 6 oz. sample was plenty, this wasn't something I would drink often.

1.76/5  rDev -44.8%

Is this really beer? Jesus christ. This poured a weird orange/pink lemonade color. Dirty hazy scum piss water with a white fizzy head. The smell is of skunked beer. Thats all. Like if you leave a few drops of beer in the bottle overnight and smell it the next day that is what this smells like. Shit. The taste is weak wheat with a hint of ass raspberry. Moderate mouthfeel. Not very drinkable. I truely do not understand the purpose of this beer, i am kind of hoping this is a messed up batch. To quote GCLARKAGE "Like a cheap ass raspberry soda with chunk of god knows what swirling around in my mouth. "
I can't say it any better than that.

I can't believe i wasted 15 bucks on their party pack. So far full of dissapointments. And halfway through last nights i ended up with a migrane. I blame it on the brew.

1.92/5  rDev -39.8%

It pours an off-color red with a good sized frothy head. The nose is malty, with hints of fruit, quite nice. But then it falls flat the taste is rough and sorry to say kinda just falls flat then the hops hit like a train wreck. I am not sure what the fuss is about with abita but this is just kinda average to bad

3.88/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance was just slightly hazy, but very clean looking for a wheat style beer. Color was an apricot honey shade with an interesting light purple shade around the circumference of the glass. Head receded quickly, but cling was nice. Aroma was of artificial raspberries, bread, dank hops and yeast. Taste was of raspberry flavor mostly, but much like it smelled with a bready aftertaste and dank hops suspended in the brew. Mouthfeel was smooth to watery. I wasn't sure what to expect before trying, but really not bad.

3.51/5  rDev +10%

You know this is one of those beers that I shouldn't like but I do. Normally, I don't gravitate to fruity American beers - that are not Belgium-styled or Lambic in nature. What can I say, it's quirky and I like it. It has a very high drinkability. It pours cloudy amber with very light reddish-pink (yea maybe light purple) hazy look. It smells like a breakfast cereal with a light fruity smell. It has a light head in my mug with little carbonation going. It tastes light and refreshing with an overtone of raspberry almost like a candy-raspberry. It's almost like "beer cool-aide". Like I said, I shouldn't like but I do. On days I'm not too serious and want to just quaff a few pints of a light beer I sometimes make it Purple Haze.

2.43/5  rDev -23.8%

Bought this brew because I wanted something to compare my almost ready Raspberry Wheat brew.

Purple haze isn't really purple. It is however hazy concerning clarity. To begin with there was a nice looking craggy soap sud looking head, however faster than a speeding bullit it dissappears. There is some poor lacing on the inside of the glass but it really isn't worh mentioning. It also looks moderately-highly carbonated.

I don't smell and raspberry aroma in this beer. It smells like cereal grains, wheat, and yeast. I know that this is a raspberry wheat, but I don't smell any raspberries.

The taste is almost as bland as the smell. As with thte smell I don't detect any raspberry flavor, well that's not true but close enough. There is a faint raspberry flavor barely detectable in the back of the taste. I don't think I would taste it unless I was really focusing on finding the raspberry taste.

Mouthfeel: feels like water, no wait...maybe tonic water going flat.
The beer is very drinkable, I'd say it's just as drinkable as Bud, Miller, or Coors. Since it goes down like water how can it be hard to drink. I probably won't ever buy this beer again. I just hope that my homebrew is better than this. I don't think that it'll have much of a problem tasting better than this, the standard has been set pretty low with this one.

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%

Not a great head, but an exceptional beer. Goes well with any cajun food and is GREAT on tap. It is a raspberry beer, so don't expect anything traditional. But it is a bit stronger than an average beer and has a great taste. It is not incredibly complex, but as far as raspberry beers, it is the best. But then again, I am from LA, but I would say it goes best w/ crawfish etouffee. Solid w/ LSU football. Order it at the CHIMES in Baton Rouge and relax. Very sentimental beer for me, considering I got my first one when I could drink LEGALLY AT 18.

2.7/5  rDev -15.4%

Cloudy golden colored with a hint of pink. No head just a laced circle around the rim of the glass. Smell was part fruity and part grainy. Didn't have the raspberry "omph" that I expected. Taste is wheat up front with a fruity medicine like aftertaste. Felt thin and a little syrupy in the mouth. I simply just did not like this beer. If you like it you could probably throw a few down. Maybe would be better on a hot summer day.

2.97/5  rDev -6.9%

Tastes like iced tea with a slight raspberry flavor. Poured a hazy orange with a tinge of (you guessed it) purple. Not much of a head. Mouthfeel was fairly flat but it was expansive on the tongue. Aroma is little bits of wheat and raspberry--but not lots of either. Flavor reminds me of iced raspberry tea. Little bitter but more sweet from the frit and the wheat. The raspberry is also more of the sweetness of the fruit than the bitterness of the fruit.

4.63/5  rDev +45.1%

Doing my part to help bring LA back on it's feet after Katrina...

Interesting pink-ish gold with a very light pink off-white head, lots of suspended sediment, and decent carbonation. Nice fresh raspberry fruit aroma with a touch of wheat underneath. Light tart raspberry flavor (not extract-like at all) with a soft wheat malt character. A little more fruit flavor than the aroma would indicate. Light, crisp, and refreshing.

A very nice fruit beer with no fruit extract characteristics... one of the better fruit beers made in America.

Per Label: "Malt Beverage with Raspberry Added" & "American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration" & "Lager"

Best Before: 12/12 (notched on label); '05' embossed on bottom
Tasted: 09/17/05

($ / 6-pack)

3.35/5  rDev +5%

from biglove. poured true to its name a hazy light purple with a small withe head. aroma sour fruits witha touch of sugar added, raspberries, sligt hints of malt, flavor sour raspberries and other sour fruits, dry. this is another one of their beers that would be good on a hot summer day and you want to throw down a few

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

What can I say, this beer isn't for everyone or every situation. It is a nice change of pace once in a while and as much as it is wrong to assume, my finace really likes it.

The color is amber tinted with bruise in fact the color could be a shade of bruise itself. The head is mostly white with a tinge of pink. The smell is of unmistakable Raspberries and laying underneath a chunk of wheat. It starts of tasting in reverse to the smell, here the wheat beer comes out in full and is nice light good body but then the raspberry comes and is tart dry and slightly bitter but it is also smooth and fades nicely between sips.
Not an every day thing but good enough to be in the outer rotation.

3.38/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is from a sampler case I got at Shangy's. Drank it out of a pilsner glass. Date is not on the case, but clearly notched on the bottle.

Pours a very hazy yellow orange with an unmistakeable lavender tint to it. A 1/2 finger head of just off-white foam forms on top. The head drops to a coating and a ring, with lacing throughout the drink.
The carbonation level looks pretty high.

This smells like raspberries! There is also a sharp wheat smell, and maybe some spicy hops as well. Smells clean, if not a little weird. As this warms, the smell becomes a little cloying.

The taste is tart raspberries, with a semi-sweet malt base to back it up, like wheat and some light caramel malts. There is a faint hop bitterness there for balance, but not much in the way of hop flavor. The aftertaste is clean and slightly dry raspberries.

The mouthfeel is tart and tingly, with a small amount of residual sugar. The finish is pretty dry and crisp.

This isn't really my favorite style, but overall I'd say it's an OK beer. Kind of odd, but refreshing in its own little way.

3.26/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a cloudy amber color similar to other hefeweizens. Copious creamy white head that fades slowly. No precipitating carbonation, but a slight amount of yeast residue. Barely-there nose primarily of wheat. Definite blueberry flavor on the first taste, yet not too sweet. This is the predominate flavor. None of the usual citrus flavor associated with other witbiers I’ve tasted, or any other "bite" for that matter. Watery, mildly bubbly mouthfeel. No discernable aftertaste. Drinkablility is excellent; it is tasty and refreshing. However, overall, too much is missing, making it an above average but hardly noteworthy brew. Probably a good beer to get your macro friends to try.

3.41/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Pours a pale pink lemonade color that is just slightly cloudy with a perky little white head; no lacing

Smell: Faint whiff on raspberry on the nose; a bit of solvent that is really off-putting

Taste: Bland, light wheat base which is an offset to the raspberry flavor; not sweet at all and finishes somewhat tart

Mouthfeel: Light and fizzy

Drinkability: Except for the nose, I actually like this beer; I wouldn't drink it regularly but it is very refreshing on a hot day

3.11/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer gets a lot of criticism among serious beer lovers, yet it's one of the best selling micros out there. Having reveiwed it once before, I am revisiting the growler version. Looks like grapefruit juice. Poured a cloudy pinkish color and released a dainty white head that laced well. Smells sweetly berrylike. Has some sour notes from the fermentation-green apple like. Tastes mildly sweet of berries and adjuncts of corn or rye, citrus grapefruit, and tart raspberry and green apples. Mildly spicy of corriander. Low hop flavor, but moderate bittering that chases into the finish. Body tapers from creamy to thin in the finish. Finishes cleanly bittered (grapefruit rinds). No presence of alcohol and a light aftertaste. This one is growing on me, although you won't see it in my cart anytime soon.

Purple Haze from Abita Brewing Co.