25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog | Abita Brewing Co.

25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog
Liked This Beer
3.68 w/ 550 Ratings
25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Turbodog is the inspiration for this robust dark ale. It is brewed with generous amounts of pale, caramel, and chocolate malts and Willamette hops. Whole natural vanilla beans are added during the aging process.This combination provides a rich body and color with chocolate, vanilla and toffee-like flavor.

Added by EgadBananas on 09-14-2011

Liked:
3.68/5
Alströms:

I haven't been fond of the two or three Abita offerings I've tried, but my brother claims I haven't tried the good ones. One he tells me that is good is TurboDog, so I got this thinking it should be even better. And I have to say that I really enjoyed this beer. Cocoa, vanillin, oak and dark fruits combine nicely in the nose and the taste. The taste comes off with more roast to the cocoa and a creamier flavor...creamy can also be used to describe the body. What's odd about this beer is that aftertaste lingers on the tip of the tongue. It's almost as if you dipped your tongue tip in vanilla extract. Odd yes, but not off-putting.

Based on this I will be giving more chances to Abita and may pick up their holiday brew. Dunno, I'll wait to see what my brother says about it first.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: 1 inch head, moderate carbonation, dark brown in color, opaque

Smell: roasted malt and cream

Taste: roasted malt at the start, vanilla that comes in the middle and a creaminess at the end

Mouthfeel: sweetish with a slightly bitter backbone, moderate carbonation, medium-light bodied

Overall: I liked this beer. It was more of a clean, fun and playful take for a 25th anniversary beer as opposed to a big high abv bomb. The vanilla really comes out as the beer warms. I would certainly get this again.

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A: Darker than usual for a brown with a little head that actually held for awhile.

S: Lots of vanilla on this and I get traces of nuts in the background.

T: I'm really enjoying the strong vanilla in this one. Usually I'm not a fan of browns but the strong vanilla masks some of the usual faults.

M: Love the amount of carbonation on this and alcohol is no issue at all. Very high drinkability

O: I love this brewery so I had to try it when it became available. This was just a fun beer all around and thoroughly enjoyed on a chilly night in Indy

2.98/5  rDev -19%

Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. This is very vanilla but pretty much one-note about it. Smells like vanilla. Tastes like vanilla. Finishes… yup, vanilla. Well, vanilla extract more than the actual seed pod. Specifically, the cheap kind of extract, thinned with alcohol and water. Mix with a brown ale and I imagine you’d find something akin to this beer. Perhaps vanilla doesn’t play well with beers? Or it’s just my personal tastes preferences? Or maybe I haven’t found the right vanilla-beer combination, because this one just didn’t work for me.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Generous two-finger tan head, good lacing, good retention. Hazy black body.

Smells like faintly sour malt with a trace of vanilla. The vanilla starts to come out as it sits.

Taste is very much like cream soda, or vanilla brown ale. It doesn't beat you over the head with it, and I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't supposed to be a stout (despite the vanilla moniker).

Mouthfeel is unfortunately bright and carby, kinda foamy, like soda. This does no favors for the flavor, and there's a sort of steely tang because of it.

Well, I wasn't sure what to expect. I saw vanilla, so I immediately think stout, but it isn't one, so where do I go from there? It's on the same level as Turbodog, that is to say, decent. It's also crazy cheap for being an anniversary edition and using primo ingredients. That said, I'm probably not going to buy any more, but I may try and age the other bottle I have for a year to see what that may do to it. Few actual complaints, but it's not a real knockout either. Definitely a good deal though, and worth a try.

NB: This improves in all aspects slightly as it warms.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A friend of mine shared this with me to enjoy while watching my Oregon Ducks beat the Cardinal.

I poured this into a pint glass, and I got a couple fingers of foam. It came out as a dark brown.

This beer has a nutty smell, along with caramel and some roastiness.

I taste some malt and a decent presence of vanilla. There was also some bitterness, but it was not overwhelming. I even got some good cocoa notes from chocolate malts.

Overall, this has a good balance. It was a pretty decent beer; not world changing, but pretty good.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz. Solid brown pour, nice frothy off white head. Retains ok.

Aroma, pretty heavy vanilla with some earthy malt, caramel and chocolate.

Taste, Vanilla and caramel dominate, less malt and chocolate. There are some yeast notes, but the earthy and hop notes one might expect are abscent.

Lighter side of mid bodied, goes down easy enough. Not quite cloying but a bit on the sweet side. Really no alcohol presence to speak of.

Overall maybe a little sweet, but really not bad. Probably the most enjoyable brew I've had from them.

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours a HUGE near glass full of pillowy head. Deep brown color with some red notes against the light. A bit of lacing, not as much as expected.

Traditional brown ale with toast, caramel, bread, hints of vanilla, toffee, but this isn't overly intense. I wouldn't mind a bit richer aroma...would really prefer that.

This is really weird stuff. Vanilla is just over powering, we're talking vanilla extra strong at times. The malt or maybe the yeast has a bit of fruity flavors I'm completely confused by this in a brown...or any non fruit beer.

That pillow of head didn't last in the mouth. It hits the middle ground of imperial vs non imperial almost dead middle. A touch of alcohol is present and given the 7% that seems off.

So final verdict...this is hard to explain. Love the bottle work and screen printing...really classy. At 3.99 for a bomber or about 13 a 6 pack equivalent, the price for an anniversary beer seems reasonable. Now I can't recall what turbo dog tastes like...I'm pretty sure I've had, but anyway. The fruity flavors here (I think yeast does this) are way out of line. The vanilla flavor doesn't seem to work either. This beer is way out of line for the style and frankly I didn't enjoy it, and frankly I generally enjoy brown ales.

Tasted On: 11-17-2011
Freshness: 2011 Vintage
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Geordie Schooner
Purchased: Received in a trade

Pours a dark brown, clear beer. The head is tan and sits at 3 fingers, with very good retention and a good amount of lace.

Aromas are of sweet, dark malts, molasses, vanilla, and caramel. Also has a subtle woody aroma.

Very nice chocolate and vanilla flavors make this a much better beer than the Turbodog base. Sweet, but also has an earthy hop presence and light bitterness. Other notes include toffee, caramel and nuts.

The finish is somewhat sweet and malty, with a creamy body and a high level of carbonation on the mouthfeel.

Overall an enjoyable anniversary brown ale from Abita.

Thanks to wyatt for this one!

25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 49.8% out of 100 with 550 ratings