Christmas Ale 2011 | Abita Brewing Co.

Christmas Ale 2011Christmas Ale 2011

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Christmas Ale (November - December) rounds out our calendar. Generally, this beer is a dark ale, however, the recipe changes each year, offering a unique product crafted with special care. Enjoy your holidays with Abita Christmas Ale.

Added by EgadBananas on 11-06-2011

1.5/5  rDev -53.3%

1.59/5  rDev -50.5%

on tap into a long trail pint glass.

A - reddish brown, 1/2 inch head, clearish.

S - earthy and dull, lacks the spicy or sweet smell expected from most xmas beers.

T - it would be a stretch to go with earthy hops up front. overwhelming wood notes. unlike anything i've ever tasted. in a bad way...

M - Carbonation was a bit light for me in this style. Watery.

O - I got halfway through it. I enjoyed nothing about this beer.

1.77/5  rDev -44.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a burnt caramel brown color that produced a nice cap of tan froth. Decent retention.

(S)- A heavy earthy yeasty bit up front. A strong musk-like almost fruity clay; almost like licorice.

(T)- Similar to the smell. A dusty earthy musk-like metallic clay component. A very sharp spice/yeast on the finish.

(M)- A good carbonation level, but a very sharp/grainy/dry feel I do not quite care for. Finishes with lots of metallic-like bits.

(D)- Sorry, but this one is very disappointing, not to mention, a bit disjointed and near off-putting.

1.99/5  rDev -38%

A - A nice nut brown color with a sticky lace. The head is light brown white and stays for a short time.

S - A floral hop smell with a earthy or acidic hint behind it.

T - very odd taste. It is almost like there is a bit of an onion taste to this beer which might just be me. Maybe it is a floral taste but there is subtle hop tastes to it. I get a slight bite from the malts but I can't shake that after taste. A malty beer.

M - A slight carbonation with a light body.

O - Not a beer I would ever try or buy again. Probably one of my least favorite experiences with a beer. Looked better than it tasted.

2.04/5  rDev -36.4%

Pours a clear dark brown with a 1 inch foamy off-white head that settles to a thin film. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, garlic, and onions. A pretty horrific smell for a Christmas beer. Taste is exactly the same with the garlic and onion flavor being overpowering. A pretty assertive bitterness makes it that much worse. The beer has a pretty crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a horrible beer. Based on other reviews I think that I may have purchased a bad bottle or something. This was a drainpour for me.

2.24/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Not very fond of this beer at all it turned out to b an IPA and I DO NOT like IPA's

2.24/5  rDev -30.2%

A: Dark red pour with a thick, two-finger width head. Attractive, transparent appearance.

S: Scent has a strong bitterness to it with a grassy undertone. A little too strong for my liking, giving it an almost rotten smell.

T: Bitterness rules, but not the usual hoppy bitterness I enjoy. There's a sharp, sourness to it along with hints of pine. Tastes a little light damaged, unfortunately.

M: Medium-bodied. Nothing special here.

D: I was very disappointed by this one. Maybe it was a bad sample, but I'm not going to seeking it out again this year.

2.26/5  rDev -29.6%

Beer is a dark amber color. The top is thin with some carbonation busting through the foam at the top/.

The smell of the beer is of dark wood and slight spice. The smell reflects the taste of the beer

Mouthful is thin with a deep taste of bitter hops. The bitterness covers much of the spice which is able to be smelled.

In my opinion the taste is not the greatest. It taste bitter and of alcohol with not much flavor besides these two. The alcoholic taste lingers and does not escape very easily

overall an average tasting beer

2.35/5  rDev -26.8%

Clear, neutral brown color with a good starting head that leaves plenty of ring lace.

Interesting combination of earthiness, darker dry malts and mild hop. There is also an off smell that reminds me of beef soup.

Thin body with a moderate level of carbonation. The off aroma shows up in the taste. Beyond that, this is a hoppier brown ale. It Lands on the drinkable side but barely. Disappointing.

2.45/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into an oversized wine glass, because I can.

A: Pours a murky mahogany color body with a fleeting one-finger off-white colored head. Lacing is nice, but the glass put a kibosh on its retention (not like people give a crap about head retention, anyways).

S: Black pepper, coriander, nutmeg, and strong citrus notes - seemingly not from hops, but perhaps a bit of orange peel added to the brew? It's strange, but it somehow works.

T: Ack. This doesn't. Starts off with a one-two punch of black pepper and orange peel (not citrus hoppiness), without a solid malt base to hold it up. The finish is strangely ashy, where the malt backbone goes from nearly non-existent to intrusively burnt. It didn't completely offend my taste buds, it just left them wholly unimpressed.

M: Far too watery on the finish and thin bodied in my opinion. Strong carbonation helps a little bit, but not nearly enough.

O: Aesthetically, it's pretty nice. And I did get it down fairly easy. But, still, it's not a good beer. I give Abita credit for trying something different with their Christmas ale, but I'm thankful this won't be around for much longer.

2.47/5  rDev -23.1%

The beer is deep brown in the amber area, an off-white head that laves very good lacing. Some curtains.

Smelling citric, grape tonic and lemon detergent, old rancid hay.

Starting sweet, toffee, brown bread, old vegetables, grape fruit peel.

Low carbonation, soft but flat, a rather dry finish.

I wonder if this bottle wasn't a bit off. Or I did not like the low carbonation and the hops.

2.48/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a dark, reddish brown, nice fluffy white head. Not much aroma to this one, maybe some faint nuttiness. Taste is light to medium bodied, not a great mouthfeel. Some roasted malt, not much for hops. A very, boring bland beer for me.. this one did not work well for me at all. Odd finish to it even, something about the taste just feels off and I've had 100 better christmas seasonals than this one, I would pass in the future.

2.49/5  rDev -22.4%

Tasted On: 12-19-2011
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: Single from Whole Foods, Nashville

Pours a clear, dark brown color, which when held to light looks like a dark amber. Head retention and lacing are good from the finger and a half of tan head.

The aromas are none too pleasant - initially I get floral hop smells, followed by a strange vegetable odor that might be described as onion.

Thankfully it doesn't taste like onion, but the taste isn't that great. This is pretty hoppy and bitter brown ale, with little or no malt character. I also don't get any spices that you might expect in a so-called Christmas ale.

The feel is pretty carbonated with a medium amount of body. The aftertaste is moderately bitter.

Overall not a very good beer, and I can't recommend trying this. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

Christmas Ale 2011 from Abita Brewing Co.