Wheat | Abita Brewing Co.

WheatWheat

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Availability: Summer

Wheat (May – September) German brewers discovered centuries ago that the addition of wheat produces a distinctively light, refreshing beer. Unlike traditional German wheat beers produced by other breweries, Abita Wheat is a lager, not an ale, and contains a generous amount of wheat which produces a clean, simple flavor.

Added by kbub6f on 04-10-2002

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

4.28/5  rDev +30.9%

This was very good. It couldn't have hurt that it was a hot day in the French Quarter, but the quality of the beer is why it really hit the spot. A much better summer seasonal than those lemon-zested wheat brews. Its light and crisp, not at all tart. As a seasonal there probably isn't very good access to it except around New Orleans, but get it if you can. Perfect beer for a hot day.

4.25/5  rDev +30%

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

Big thanks to BigLove for this tasty little brew!

A: Poured into an appropriately tall glass, the head was initially almost two inches of egg shell white foam. Head dissipated and is now a collar of suds leaving no lacing. Oh so pale golden in color and clear as good glass.

S: Wheaty, raw bread dough smells. Doing that strangely effective "reverse olfaction" thing gives me a nice hop aroma to meld with the up front wheat. Very nice indeed.

T: Initial flash of a sorto-peppery hop taste. I was expecting this to taste similar to the weizens I had, I was surprised at how simple and clean this one is. No clovey/fruity/whatever tastes. This one has just a simple, clean wheat flavor, like taking of bite of home made wheat bread. Could you get more American than this? I'm drinking the fruited plains and loving it.

M: Light in body, crisp and clean feeling. Perfect summer fodder. Carbonation is just high enough to help carry the flavors, and the alcohol feel is very well masked, indeed.

D&N: I've seen Abita beers before but never tried them, what a fool I've been. This beer has a pretty unique taste that is super enjoyable, and is light and refreshing. Recommended? Indeed!

4.04/5  rDev +23.5%

Poured from a bottle marked 'Best by 10/29/08" into an imperial pint glass.

A: Golden straw color. Slight chill haze. Thin snow white head that disappears as quickly. Minimal, if any lacing.

S: Earthy grain smell. A little presence of sweet malt as well. A clean smelling beer.

T: Clean. The earthy grain smell transfers to the palate. A quick burst of sweetness, with a nice tart finish. Quite refreshing.

M: Light, crisp, refreshing.

D: This is an excellent wheat LAGER (it says so on the bottle), not an Ale, as categorized by ba.com. A no nonsense, no-fluff beer. Great for cutting through the humid heat on a June day in the deep south.

Appearance: 1/3 head, moderate carbonation, gold in color, clear

Smell: grain, adjunct, light wheat

Taste: grain, adjunct, light wheat--has a little bit of their Restoration Pale Ale taste

Mouthfeel: sweet with slight bitterness, medium carbonation, light bodied

Overall: In a bizarre world, I have been seeking this beer out for a while and am happy to have found it. This is a sessionable adjunct lager that reminds me of a combination between their gold and restoration pale ale. I could have several of these especially on a warmer day. If I was not grading to style, this would be closer to a 3.5. However, I would turn to this over the BMCs and other adjunct lagers of the world. Of all of Abita's beers, I would not seek this out, but I would not pass on it either.

Abita Wheat has a medium, white head, which quickly dissipates, and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is low to moderate. The aroma is of bread, with a sharp hop note. I found the taste to be very bready, but the hops balanced it out, and were stronger and more bitter than expected. This beer has lots of body. Mouth-feel is medium, and Abita Wheat finishes refreshing, light, and mild, but not dull. I really liked this and found it better than I expected and better than many other wheat beers I have sampled.

RJT

A decent beer from Abita brewery.
This beer pours pale yellow, almost a straw color with a thin white head on it. The head dosnt last long and disapates quickly.
This is a real easy beer to drink. Its not harsh in the least and has a real good mouth feel. The taste is great also.
I think that this beer is real good for sitting on the porch, kicking back and having a few with the boys.
It has my vote.

3.97/5  rDev +21.4%

Presentation: 12 oz brown short with a freshness date marked on back.

Appearance: Clear pale golden with a wispy white lace.

Smell: Clean aroma of malt sweetness and a little spicy hop.

Taste: The spicy hop bitterness and flavour rides the tail of the crisp carbonation and grain. Then the malt sweetness and soft wheat flavour kicks in with still more lingering spicy hop flavour. The after taste cleans up with some fading grain and hop.

Notes: This is an awesome American Wheat! It is fermented with a German lager yeast which contributes to this brew being so clean. A better summer seasonal than those lemon zested wheat brews, one of the top picks for a summer time brew.

3.97/5  rDev +21.4%

Brewed and bottled with spring water

This beer poured into the glass a straw/hay color that also reminded me of the color of creamed butter. It was crystal clear and decently carbonated. Thin white head was produced and a light lace draped on parts of the inside of the glass. The aromas were of sweet malt, wheat grain, slight citrus and spicy hops. The tastes mirrored the aromas very well; there were no surprises to be had. I tasted sweet malts, spicy hops, citrus lemons (slight) and wheat. The aftertaste was of wheat grains and some light hops, they were very soft on the tongue and left very subtlety. It was a clean, soft and refreshing beer. Not overly done, or complicated, just a really good wheat beer. Simple and to the point. A good summer beer. I enjoyed this one more then others from Abita and would indulge again.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Quick review - almost a light beer, very sessionable, excellent summer option.

I had a keg of this for a party and a boil (CO2 driven - no handpump/oxygen), along with the Abita Doppelbock. Even pouring it my way (the hard way), the head is medium to light (an inch if you really try). The head dissipates rather quickly, leaving a thin layer of foam stuck to the sides of the glass. The beer is just on the god side of yellow.

Smelling it, I get full on wheaty, grainy smell. It's a fresh smell. I can smell no hop in this beer (that's not a problem to me, just a clarification).

The taste is very light. It comes across extremely sessionable. I wish it was a little heavier, but that's probably not what Abita is going for as this is their summer seasonal. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for the flavor, but still at about a medium on my scale with no fizziness.

As I stated, I had this beer for a party and a boil along with a keg of Abita Doppelbock. I picked this up because I think it's a good beer, it is one of my fiancé's favorites, and there's no way in hell I was going with B/M/C light. This was my light alternative. My step-dad who takes the silver bullet intravenously was drinking this beer. My uncle whose taste buds somehow started hating yeast a few years back was drinking this. Obviously it was a hit with some.

3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance - A nice clear beer

Smell - Smells clean organic and fresh like spring rain.

Taste - Crisp and light with little to no after taste.
You pick up the subtle wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel - Has that clean mouth feel of most American lagers.

Drinkability - Very drinkable goes down easy and smooth.

Wheat from Abita Brewing Co.