Hog Heaven: Imperial Red IPA | Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Formerly Hog Heaven Barley Wine

Or is it hop heaven? This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty was designed to satisfy the most zealous hop devotees. Intense bitterness and the dankest of dry hopped aromas are intertwined with a rich caramel malt backbone. Oink!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-05-2002

Ratings: 2,093 |  Reviews: 926

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy deep peach-amber with half a finger of sticky looking, yellow head that leaves some nice lace.

Smell. Sweet, malty grapefruit. yep. Lots of that.

Taste. Caramel with a thick, citrusy, bitter hop blast that hangs around for a while. Malty grains are there, but the hops are huge. A bit acidic.

Mouthfeel. Full body with medium carbonation. A bit warm for me.

Drinkability. A sipper, and a little much for me personally. That being said, it's a good barleywine.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%

I picked up a bottle of Avery's Hog Heaven last week for $6.49 at The Lager Mill. I was in the mood to try a couple new Barleywines, this bottle caught my attention and the price was good so I thought I would give it a try so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz foiled bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it looks good and it catches the eye. It poured a nice deep copper color, with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This beer looks real nice in my snifter.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty hoppy, it smells similar to a DIPA, The aroma starts off with a large amount of hops, its a nice mixture of citrus and earthy hops, with the citrus sticking out the most, mainly grapefruit with a little bit of mango and blood orange. The malts are on the lighter side but are still pretty sweet and impart a biscuit and caramel like aromas.

T- The taste of this beer is pretty intense, this beer is for sure a sipper. It starts off with a good amount of hop bitterness that is on the light side being highly bitter. Hardly any of the citrus fruits that I got in the aroma make their way to the flavor, it is mainly earthy and grassy. The malts are much more apparent in the flavor and impart a high amount of medium sweetness with a lot of sweet caramel flavors. The finish is pretty sweet and somewhat boozy, you can sure tell that this beer is 9.2%, there is no hiding it.

M- Somewhat sticky, on thick side of being medium bodied, and it had the perfect amount of medium carbonation that really suited this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good Barleywine, it's pretty solid. I thought this was going to be like most of the Barleywines I have had and very malt forward, but once I looked at the label and saw this was a 100 IBU's I knew this was going to be heavy on the hops, and it was, but a lot those nice citrus hop aromas never made their way to the flavor, but all their bitterness did. This beer is a sipper so it doesn't have a lot of drinkability, I am glad I am splitting this bomber with my brother, the high bitterness and very noticeable 9.2% of alcohol give this beer a low amount of drinkability. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma and look, it had a nice mixture of citrus fruits mixed with sweet caramel malts, its smelled like a good DIPA and it looked really good in my snifter. What I liked least about this beer was the bitterness and the booziness, if both were toned down little it would help the flavor out and make this beer much more drinkable, I could see buying this beer again when looking for a hoppy Barleywine, it also was a pretty good value for $6.49, but I tend to like my Barleywines more balanced so I would for sure choose Third Coast Old Ale over this beer. This beer is worth giving a try especially if you like Barleywines heavy on the hops. This was my second beer from Avery and so far I think they are good brewing company I would like to try more of their beers. Not my favorite Barleywine but still a solid hoppy Barleywine, this might be a good beer to age to see what it turns it turns into when the hops fade.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a muddy golden red with a 1/2 inch head of white foam. Tight lacing.

Smells of tropical fruit lots of grapefruit all muddled with a sweet back aroma.

First sip gives hop bitterness burst and follows with a caramel back end. Light mouth feel. Hops win out. ;)

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

104 IBU's is all I need to make the purchase. It has survived the journey from the booze store, so let's begin. I am sampling it on the fresh side, no aging done on my part....

It pours a deep copper color, bright garnet highlights to the light. The head is a large canvas tan color that holds steady for a high ABV beer, leaving a never wavering film until the beer has vanished.

The aroma seems on the reserved side, but perhaps the intensity is just shadowed by the complexity . Bold leafy herbal aromas with glimpses of sweet citrus remind me of the intense hopping, yet there is no harsh bitterness or alcoholic edge. Buttered bread with drips of caramel complete the cycle while ripe fruit tones (maybe plum and grape) lurk further within the backbone.

Ahh the flavor is just what the lupalin doctor ordered. Dry grassy cannabis greens slosh around the mouth while slightly sweeter citrus bursts keep the hop profile perplexing. Biscuits and caramel make for a substantial base. The finish is long, bitter, and dry (I would have it no other way); as the leafy flavors - that were first to arrive - are the last to leave. The 9.2% alcohol doesn't fool me, but it adds appreciated excitement. Surely if this one is aged 12-24 months, the tinge would fade into the abyss like the Furby fad.

I abide with the gentle carbonation, because the creamy luscious feel needs nothing more than a bit of grit around the edges, and the alpha acids do their part in tingling the tongue. Despite the robust body, the dryness of the finish keeps it going down the pipe at a steady pace. It is always smooth, and the barleywine edge is never enough to make me think twice.

A supremely solid example of an American BW, and an un-aged sample at that. Perhaps one of these days I'll conceive the courage to buy one and hide it from myself. Until then, bravo Avery.

A- ruby day with a wispy off white head and chunky lace splotches

S- very hoppy with a slight malt background, tiny whispers of raisin and molasses.

T- the hops come through surprisingly well. It is definetly the most prominent feature of the beer. Not too sweet, raisin and candied sugar in the back. Slight bitterness.

O- a hop forward barleywine, not the best, but very good.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

this is my first barleywine review and only my second ever tasting one. pours a deep copper with lots of brown in it. a half inch off white colored head quickly settles to a ring with lots of patchy lacing. i detect with my nose lots of malts, brown sugar and citrus. the tastebuds are greeted with loads of brown sugar sweetness, a malty backbone that carries thru to the dry biterness of hops. mouthfeel is full bodied sticky creamy almost chewy. overall this is very drinkable with the alochol hidden behind the sweetness, however as this warms the alochol is more dominant.

Hog Heaven: Imperial Red IPA from Avery Brewing Company