The Beast Grand Cru | Avery Brewing Company

averybrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Availability: Summer

Hop Variety: Bravo, Bullion, Sterling, Hersbrucker, Columbus, Styrian Goldings
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Honey malt, Dark Aromatic, Pale wheat, Roasted wheat, Special B
Sugars: Dates, Molasses, Dark Belgian Candy Sugar, Colorado Honey, Raisins, Turbinado
OG: 1.135 ABV: 15-17% IBUs: 63 Color: Burgundy

The Beast is a seducer – accomodating, complicated, powerful, dark and created to last the ages. With a deep burgundy color and aromas of honey, nutmeg, mandarin orange and pineapple, this massive and challenging brew has flavors akin to a beautiful Carribean rum. Dates, plums, raisins and molasses are dominant in a rich vinous texture. Cellarable for 10+ years.

The Beast is the first installment of “The Demons of Ale” series.

Food pairing: Pineapple upside down cake pairs nicely with the sweet, rum-like flavors found in our Beast Grand Cru.

Batch 1 (2004): 15.7% ABV

Ratings: 1,408 |  Reviews: 604
3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

I picked up this bottle for aging. Then I picked up another bottle, since I forgot about buying one already. This bottle is dated from 2010 (batch 8). I expect to open my 2011 bottle in three to five years.

This beer smells great. You immediately get the sour before the glass reaches your nose. There is also the pre-requisite dark fruit presence that comes with most Belgian Strong Dark beers. I think I might smell a touch of sour cherry, but I could be imagining it. There is also some tobacco in there.

The flavor is rich and luxurious. You get a ton of alcohol presence in the first sip. This would be perfect in a snifter... you could sip it by a fire. I have seen it paired with a cigar on the New Brew Thursday podcast. You get a ton of dark fruit.

This is a very full bodied beer. I commend Avery for this offering. This is an impressive beer.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 6, 2008 bottling. I enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected based on the reviews I read here. Been sitting on this bottle for years and finally decided to give it a shot. Somewhat one-dimensional; big and sweet, but highly tasty nonetheless. More like an English barleywine than a Belgian-style strong ale.

Dark gold color, small and quickly falling head, minimal lace. Some dark chunky stuff at the bottom of the glass. Aroma of sweet malt, caramel, toffee, dark fruits (raisins, figs, dates), heady alcohol fumes.

Thankfully the boozy heat has been tamed somewhat in the flavor. It’s still there but isn’t tasted too assertively and is more felt in a pleasant warmth as you work your way through the glass. This beer is all about sweet and syrupy malts, dark fruits, brown sugar and caramel. Some spice detectable, but not much in the way of Belgian yeast character and no hops to speak of. Has a port-wine feel and taste.

Moderately thick and heavy in the mouth, syrupy and a little sticky, with modest levels of carbonation. Not something I’d want to drink a whole bottle of, but was perfect for sharing and getting 6 ounces each.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

4.48/5  rDev +16.7%

2009 bottle picked up off the shelf at Marty's a few days ago.

A: Looks fine. Still pours a good head.

S: Smell's extremely sweet, slightly of alcohol. My nose isn't great, but I like what I smell.

T: Sweet and syrupy with a slight tinge of bitterness at the end (very slight...). A lot more tasty than most BSDAs / Quads I've had (along with a lot more sugar). Huge fan.

M: Not noticing much of an alcohol bite, which I kind of miss. I think I would enjoy a fresher, boozier bottle honestly, but most will find this vintage really appealing I think.

O: Fantastic if you like letting the alcohol mellow out a bit. I'm a big fan of Avery's big beers fresh, but this one definitely did it for me too.

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
2010 vintage. (16.21% ABV)

pours a translucent deep amber tone with a quickly dissipating finger of tan head (unsurprising given the heat of this one); patchy lacing.

nose is rife with caramel, toasted malt - sort of reminiscent of a barleywine. notable presence of dark fruits; very slightly astringent. alcohol is a player.

flavor profile follows the nose. sweet and malty with notes of dark fruit, candied sugar, and a touch of molasses. very boozy (north of 16% ABV, how could it not be), especially in the finish. to me this is more barleywine territory than BSDA, but tasty nonetheless. would like to try this beer with some age on it.

syrupy, medium-full mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. the quintessential sipper.

originally reviewed: 03-14-2011