The Kaiser | Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

The Kaiser once said, “Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.” If the Kaiser and his significant other had tipped this bottle, we’d all be “sprechenden Deutsch!” We took all that is good in a traditional Oktoberfest – gorgeous, deep copper sheen, massive malty backbone and spicy, floral, pungent Noble hops – then intensified each into this, an Imperial Oktoberfest.

Added by maxpower on 08-28-2004

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,338 |  Reviews: 663
4.89/5  rDev +26%

A: Pours with a nice frothy head that soon dissipates. The color is a rich, dark copper. Almost brown. Exactly what I want from a Märzen.

S: Very strong caramel and roast malts with strong notes of dark fruit. My only complaint is that it smells a bit boozy.

T: Fortunately the boozy notes in the smell are non-existent on the tongue. A strong caramel malt flavor on the head that gives way to the clear dark fruit notes that you can smell. It finishes with a delightful balance of the two. The taste lingers lightly after you swallow each sip.

F: The mouthfeel is rich and malty. It goes well with the flavor and finishes with a very nice lager dryness.

O: I love almost everything about this beer. My only negative is the slight alcohol smell which slips through the malt and fruit flavors. I've never seen another Imperial Märzen, but this sets the standard very high. This specific beer was from the 2011 batch of Der Kaiser and was cellared for 3 years before this review. I saved this beer for the beginning of Oktoberfest and I am not disappointed at all. I highly recommend cellaring this beer and I will actively seek this beer out for future fests.

Poured into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at around 60 degrees.

4.87/5  rDev +25.5%

Not a fan of big beers but this is the exception. The aroma is orange, orange blossom. You can tell this is a big beer. You get a full mouthful with this beer. It tastes of citrus only now much more grapefruit, hops but also a lot of maltiness. If you like beer with everything then this is the one for you.

4.86/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +24.7%

Avery is really a hit and miss with me. So, I did not know what to expect from this brew. I was surpised! In a good way.

Poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass from the 22oz bomber. Pours a hazy copper color with a 2 finger tan lacy head that quickly disappated.

Smell was big yeasty bready tones with big malt scent. A touch of alcohol is noted along a smidgen of hops.

Flavor took me by surprise. Huge malt bomb. Big yeast and bread flavors smack you taste buds like a Chuck Liddel over hand right. Caramel flavors are big. The alcohol is not to noticable at first but becomes slightly present as the brew warms up. Just a slight touch of hops on the finish.

Mouthfeel is full but not mealy full. This beer is my new favorite for the Marzan style. I have not been this excited about a Marzen since Jubel was brewed. Thank you Avery for this bomb! Malt bomb that is!

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

Great flavor, aroma excellent, overall it's a great beer.

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

beautiful neon copper color with oatmeal colored topping.
fruity, sweet smell, like a dopplebock.
full-bodied, rich, sweet, malts, caramel. not unlike a dopplebock. very healthy taste and a great starter for my evening at 9% abv (BA say 10.03%).
overall, i very much like this. i've had a few from this brewery and i remember them being very good. it tastes like a german product which, i think, is an accomplishment and an achievement. and for such an impressive abv, i think it deserves a very high overall rating. i dont get much alcohol burn from this and that factors in to my opinion... may be my highest rated american beer.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

4.79/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Big rich liquid bread malt nose seasoned with spicy, herbal, floral hops.
Hazy peach body under a 3" snow white foam cap that is reasonably persistent and lacy for such a big alcohol beer.
Palate: creamy, rich, thick and malty liquid bread kept under control by a moderate hop bitter presence on the finish. Big malt masks the alcohol.
Full body, medium to medium low carbonation, warming.

The Kaiser from Avery Brewing Company