The Kaiser | Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

The Kaiser once said, “Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.” If the Kaiser and his significant other had tipped this bottle, we’d all be “sprechenden Deutsch!” We took all that is good in a traditional Oktoberfest – gorgeous, deep copper sheen, massive malty backbone and spicy, floral, pungent Noble hops – then intensified each into this, an Imperial Oktoberfest.

Added by maxpower on 08-28-2004

Ratings: 1,334 |  Reviews: 660
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Maudite tulip.

A - Clear ruby red color. Off-white head leaves decent lacing.

S - Graham cracker, figs, black tea.

T - Citrus, lemony punch, graham cracker sweetness, sweet tea, dries out a little but leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M - Medium low carbonation provides silkyness. Medium heavy body just right for this kind of beer.

D - Medium low. Complex flavors and body make you want to savor this one.

Really good beer. Does have a sweet character to it, but for an "end of the night" beer it hits the spot.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. Bottled in 2010.

This pours a clear deep amber - copper color with a nice foamy slightly off white head. The smell is of caramel, alcohol, toffee. Feel is medium to slightly heavier. The taste is of caramel and toffee, the hops have mostly died down with this older bottle and the afterflavor is mostly just alcohol burn. This isn't bad, but I don't really love it either, I'll try it fresh next time, but as of now I don't really want to try it again, I might drain pour the second half.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

2008 vintage poured into a sniffer, thanks to pwsolider for sharing this one.

Appearance: Clear dark amber-copper color almost mahogany with very little lacing that fades.

Aroma: Caramel sweetness and a hit of leather, possibly from oxidation, and still a touch of booze.

Taste: Sweet toffee with malt and caramel. There is a touch of alcohol on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy, and chewy with a noticeable alcoholic finish that is very sweet.

Overall: I'm not really a big fan of Oktoberfest beers to begin with, so an imperial is not really my favorite beer in the world. It was a nice experience to see how it aged.

Have wanted to try this one for awhile. Batch 8 from August 2011. Poured from a bomber into a tulip with dark amber color and tan head that quickly disappeared. Smells of toffee and malt. Taste is smooth but a little bit of an alcoholic tinge. An interesting beer from a style that I look forward to yearly. I would buy it again.

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

First time to try Kaiser- bottle dated Aug 2011, so pretty fresh for Avery distribution into Houston (last time we got Maharaja it was already 2 months old). Poured from bottle into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a terrific dark amber color- perfect for the Oktoberfest style. Pour is pretty much crystal clear, no head at all, and plenty of alcohol legs on the glass. Smell- alcohol, caramel, toffee. The present alcohol smell is not appealing- makes me think I'm in for a sloppy boozy mess. Taste- caramel, cloying sweet malt, alcohol. This is a boozy mess of an Oktoberfest style beer. Interesting concept (Imperial Oktoberfest) but it doesn't work that well. This is gonna be a sipper, real tough to get down.

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured a 22oz bottle into a my trusty stone IRS tulip.

A: Poured a mildly cloud dark orange almost apricot color. The head was a nice white frizz which was probably about 1.5 fingers worth. No real lacing in the glass from the head or pour.

S: Nice aromas of sweet bready malts are at the forefront in this one. Upon second and third sniffs of this, it started to go towards bananas, almost like banana bread.

T: the initial taste has a tingle on the tongue from the carbonation. Which then flows into a onslaught of malts, with mild kiss of that banana sweetness at the end.

M: The mouth is carbonated, with doses of bread and spices with some hops showing up. At the very end a final farewell of floral ends this.

O: Not a huge Oktoberfest Dopplebock style fan. But this was pretty decent. if I saw this on tap at any Oktoberfest festivals I would drink it on tap. Not sure I would pick it up in bottles again though.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a 22oz bomber into a dimpled stein. Bottled in 2010 noted on the label; enjoyed on a rainy day in August 2011.

A: Nice amber color with burnt orange around the edges. Lacing was thick and slid down the edges of the glass back into the beer. Slightly cloudy.

S: Sweet & toasty malts, noble hops very aromatic. Some yeast.

T: Sweet & toasty malts are again present in the forefront. Citrusy noble hops linger on the back of the roof of the mouth. Maltiness reminds me of a doppelbock.

M: Thicker than typical oktoberfest,

O: Although listed as an Oktoberfest here, it is definitely an Imperial Oktoberfest full of flavor. Extremely easy to drink, especially for the high ABV. Picking up another soon.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Enjoyed on draft a while ago -- poured into a Portsmouth tulip an opaque dark honey with a half finger of bubbly head that quickly disintegrates into a film.

Nose is a solid hit of caramel malt, sweet and bready, lightly candied.

A sip is warm from the alcohol, really malty and sweet, but balanced with a more grounded noble hop presence. Rich body with lighter carbonation; somewhat earthy and dry on the finish.

Overall as a high ABV Oktoberfest, this one does very well. I think I enjoyed it more on draft, but still a very strong brew. The 9.7% is very well negated by the sweetness and earthy hop profile.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've had this beer aging for over a year, hopefully it has some heat to it :)))

A-Pours a deep burnt orange with a nice one finger head, really a beautiful beer.

S-The first scent I get is the alchohol, it smells like it just came out of a friggin bourbon barrel, I wonder if the aging has something to do with that..

T-The alchohol is really overpowering here, the 2 row barley is there, but it's in the background. Some really nice earthy tones at the end though.

M-Coats the mouth and goes down very smooth, relativly dry at the very end.

O-Overall a decent Oktoberfest.

4.26/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2009. ABV 9.76

Poured into a tumbler...

Appearance-Burnt orange, extremely hazy. Nice one finger off white head that has nice retention and leaves some nice lacing. Very nice.

Smell-Caramel malts with some light spices.

Taste-Lots of biscuit and caramel malts. Delicious. Hopped just enough to balanced it out and not get overwhelmed with sweetness. Unfortunately I have never had a fresh Kaiser so I can't compare this to it. The booze is almost non existent however. Just very simple flavors that you want out of a Fall beer.

Mouthfeel-Rich, Creamy, really nice. Medium bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation. Sooo easy to drink for almost 10%

Overall-Avery continues to be one of my go to breweries. Nice High ABV bombers and sessionable smaller beers. The Kaiser did not dissapoint. Well done.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer poured out as a nice looking brown color, the head was about and inch tall and left a pretty nice lacing. The smell of the beer was full of malts and some autumn spices. The taste was damn near perfect in my opinion. The Kaiser has so much flavor running through it. The mouthfeel is smooth and has a high drinkability to it even for a heavier beer. Overall, I love this beer it's got to be one of the top 3 Oktoberfest beers I've ever had if no the best. Really worth trying if you see it.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

A: deep amber body, trace head, decent lacing

S: malt, light citrus, mild yeast

T: big sweet fruit (apple/pear?), big malt middle, slightly boozy, light bitter finish

M: med. body, prickly tongue, hint of dry mouth

O: I love the Avery bombers and usually not a huge
fan of Marzen/Octoberfest beers, but this is quite nice.
You want to gulp it, but it's a sipper that's for sure.
I would buy this again.

GOOD, WORTH GETTING!

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Best oktoberfest I've had and I spent two years in Austria an hour away from Germany.
One of my favorite brews from Avery which says quite a bit.
So I had this in April so I'd guess it to be 9 months old or there about.
Pumpkin spice, honey, molasses, and just all things nice. my goodness.
Went down so well with my dinner, I think it's a pretty easy beer to pair.
I'm gonna stock up this autumn.

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Pours a cloudy amber red with a 1 finger off-white head and leaves descent lacing down the glass.

S - Caramel covered cereal, sweet bready dough, a kiss of orange. Reminds my of cinnamon toast crunch.

T - Rich toasted malts, dense caramel, sweet cereal grains, some cinnamon oatmeal, hints of acidic fruit come through, earthy bitterness helps with the sugary malts, finishes a tad hot.
Has a honey wheat biscuit aftertaste.

M - Chewy, thick, full bodied, low carbonation.

Just as you would expect an Imperial Octoberfest to be. It's not complex but delivers a big punch of malt that is semi balanced with carbonation and herbal citrus hops. If you like malt bombs this beer is for you!

4.36/5  rDev +13.5%

First off, I thought this beer was very delicious...and I will certainly buy another! The toasty biscuit flavors, to me, are awesome. Again, a great tasting beer.

With that said, if I must have an issue with the brew, it's the appearance and it's taste (stick with me here). I don't know if I poured mine incorrectly, but it was very cloudy...which I thought Oktoberfests are supposed to be clear (I'm thinking about Spaten, Sam Adams, and the like). Also, to me, the flavor didn't strike me as a strong Oktoberfest. I thought the bitterness was appropriate, and of course the mouthfeel is going to be amped up, but I didn't think Oktoberfest when I had the beer.

Again...GREAT tasting. In fact, I loved it! Just thinking about the Oktoberfests I've had (it's my favorite style :) ), it just didn't seem to...Oktoberfesty to me.

The beer pours a clear dark amber color with a white head. The aroma is full of toffee and biscuit malt, as well as a lot of grapes and brown sugar. A very malty, fruity beer. The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of grapes and flowers as well as a ton of caramel and biscuit malt. The alcohol is also very apparent. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This tastes like an Oktoberfest on steroids, just like the brewer intended.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

Aroma is deeply malty, as could be expected. Loads of caramel malt and molasses with a good toastiness as well. Just like an "imperial oktoberfest" would smell I suppose.

Pours reddish amber in the glass. Small head.

The taste isn't a surprise in the least. Definite sweetness on the body, with caramel malts dominating the show. Along with that is a heavy toasty note battling with the sweet malts. In the end, there is a somewhat small but noticeable hop bitterness helping to close it out with the thick molasses. A bit of alcohol also shows through as well. A thick finish.

Honestly, it isn't to the point of being sickly sweet and overbearing, but it's bigger than most oktoberfests by a fair margin. It just comes across as a o-fest with more "oomph".

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Avery The Kaiser, on tap at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen, NY, part of an Avery "tap takeover".

Appearance: Served in an 8-oz glass filled to the brim, almost no head, just a white mantle with bubbles. Low carbonation and good lacing (very artistic). Color is Baltic amber, slightly transparent.

Smell: Malts, controlled sweetness, Kool-Aid, glue. A slightly metallic overtone. Weird but pleasant!

Taste: Dark-fruit juice, cherry, again the Kool-Aid. No alcohol, it is more of a fruity children's drink. Sweetness all around. Caramel. Some faint hops but mostly malt and sweetness. A bit underwhelming. I had i "The Kaiser" after going for Avery "The Beast", which is even sweeter, so it didn't bother me as much. My wife, though, was horrified. She found the Kaiser more cloying than the Beast.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, low carbonation, medium body and flavor. Alright, not great.

Overall: Drinkable but not too enticing. My least favorite of all the big Avery beers. A confusing beer also. Could be a Scotch Ale, a sweet big IPA, a Doppelbock... Imperial Oktoberfest? Whatever! I don't think I'll be having it again.

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

From notes. Active, clear, copper/orange, with a thin white head fades gradually and leave patch lacing. Very attractive.

Boozy warmth and grainy notes add depth to the malty sweetness. Floral and fruity hops take some time to find, but they are there. Quite nice.

Slightly grainy but very malty and sweet. Some fruity flavors and modest hop bitterness balance the malty base. Balanced, clean and fairly complex.

Moderate warming, rich, full, and thick with high viscosity. Some bitterness in the finish.

My kind of lager! Can't believe I waked past this one so many times. Really nice brew.

2.02/5  rDev -47.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Looks like a less watery king cobra

Smell: Malts are overwhelming, not much else

Taste: Extreme malt flavor, It is almost unbearable to even drink.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated and reminds me of a more refined old english

Drinkability: Very hard to sip.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber orangish with a half finger of white head that settles quickly.

Smell: Extremely malty sweetness, caramel, just a very sweet aroma.

Taste: Very malty (kicked up bready malt), caramel, toffee the alcohol is present.

Mouthfeel: Thick and sticky mouthfeel, almost more like a barleywine.

Drinkability: Not a bad beer at all, but a very over the top Oktoberbest (hence being called an Imperial Oktoberfest). Will try again in the fall.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Another great offering from Avery. This may be my favorite beer from them. Pours a lovely copper orange color with little head that does not linger. Great lacing and a very good aroma. Taste is dominated by sweet malt similar to a barleywine but not as cloying or heavy. I wish this beer was available year round.

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Poured a clear, dark amber hue with a one-finger thick head of beige foam that lasted throughout the entire glass. Produced nice lacing on the glass. The aroma was caramel malts and notes f bread and cookies with some wood. The flavor was mild citrus hops (orange and grapefruit), bread, caramel. Alcohol is noticeable but not unpleasant. The mouthfeel was full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Another excellent offering from Avery.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Clear, orange-amber with a big dense head of tan foam that leaves tons of sticky lace on the glass. Big and malty aroma of kirsch, caramel, rum and spicy hop notes. The Kaiser is really good if you like big muscular malt-bombs(I do!) and is balanced nicely with herbal tobacco-like hop flavors. Full bodied and creamy with a mild alcoholic warmth in the finish. I'm not sure how true to the style guidelines the Kaiser is as it's almost Barley Wine like in strength and flavor but I know it's a great beer.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: Reddish brown, relatively clear, head quickly dissipated.

Aroma: Carmel, malt, some kind of berry.

Taste: Flavors of alcohol, strong maltiness, pear, apple, carmel, and at the very end some kind of squash or something? Exceptionally tasty and rich.

Mouthfeel: A little tingly for the flavors in the beer, but relatively medium-bodied and enjoyable.

Drinkability: I find this beer extremely drinkable, though others at the table gagged.

The Kaiser from Avery Brewing Company