The Kaiser | Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

The Kaiser once said, “Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.” If the Kaiser and his significant other had tipped this bottle, we’d all be “sprechenden Deutsch!” We took all that is good in a traditional Oktoberfest – gorgeous, deep copper sheen, massive malty backbone and spicy, floral, pungent Noble hops – then intensified each into this, an Imperial Oktoberfest.

Added by maxpower on 08-28-2004

Ratings: 1,334 |  Reviews: 660
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Pours a dark amber with reddish orange highlights. Nice huge head that stays awhile.

S: Nice floral hops with sweet malt. Kind of a slight fruity aroma as well.

T: Sweet upfront with a nice hop bite soon after. Caramel there as well. The alcohol is warming and noticeable but not offensive.

This was an interesting beer. But I gotta say that I won't buy this again. This just isn't what I want in an O-fest...

3.86/5  rDev +0.5%

A- I love the color of this beer. Almost a bright red. Nice off-white head that fades somewhat rapidly. Spotty lacing.

S- Hops dominate--a light citrus scent with some floral hops that kind of remind me of soap (but it's still good). Some sweetness in there too from the malt.

T- Malty-- some caramel, grain notes, some syrup. Finishes with some hops--citrus (orange/lemon zest). Can get a little bit of the alcohol too. Almost tastes like an amber to me.

M- Slightly overcarbonated IMO. Still, thick though. A bit sticky.

D- A good sipper. Definitely an interesting beer from Avery, I will definitely explore Avery more.

3.02/5  rDev -21.4%

I got a bottle of the Kaiser from BevMo the week it came out. I was trying to grab some Oktoberfest imports and thought a domestic one would be a good counterpoint. Unfortunately Avery failed on this one, labeled as an "Imperial Oktoberfest"

Poured a beautifully vibrant burnt-orange, quite clear. No head or lace at all.

Aroma of malt and a sharp sweetness of sugar crystals.

Huge body, thick, almost a chewy beer (not for wookies sorry). Malts everywhere, as I expect from an Oktoberfest, but holy jeez is it sweet. Not cloying but almost corn syrupy sweet. Way too sweet for this style. The malts seem fairly representative of a good oktoberfest. Bam, a bit hot too. Ok, fairly hot even with all the sweetness and malt running around. Very faint trailing of bitterness, odd.

This is probably great for malt heads, and while I was interested in a so-called Imperial take on an Oktoberfest, this just didn't work for me. I could only take about 1/2 the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

this is a damn fine beer. poured a nice amber color into the glass with just over an inch of rich head. smells of lightly roasted malt with a hop scent to it. good flavor similar to the smell.

this is one that i had from a bomber and i would have had a second if there were any left. good balanced beer.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Had on tap at the Brickstore Pub in ATL. Served up in an nonic pint. Imperial Marzen really caught my eye, why the hell not?

A: Served up as a dark orange/very coppery color. The body is pretty damned hazy and is near impossible to see through. The pour was topped with a finger or more of white head. That head had some decent retention, lasting a good portion of the experience before falling to a white ring. The lace is spotty and soapy. Pretty much what I would expect from a decent marzen.

S: Smell is pretty malt dominant but the aroma is incredibly subdued. Getting some rich German malty goodness with some caramel. There may be a touch of apricot and banana in here. Slight hops coming through that have a nip of bitterness in the nose. Not bad, but nothing really grabbing my full on attention.

T: Pretty much the same as the nose. Nice malts coming through in the form of some carmael and biscuit. The fruit flavors are minimal but are here with a touch of sweet banana. Hops cut the sweetness bringing things in balance. I say this, but it brings in dangerously close to blandness or mediocrity. Its good, don't get me wrong, but its just a bit blah at times.

M: Medium bodied with a nice crisp carbonation. I can not believe the ABV is this high because I got no trace of it in the taste or in the feel. Pretty hearty and refreshing finish. Aftertaste is mostly some malt lingering.

D: Not a bad beer at all. The pint went away quickly and I had no issues with that. I have to say that beer did not overly impress me, but it didn't disappoint me either. I guess that is what happens when you go in with no expectations. Not a bad beer and an interesting take on a marzen, especially make one this big. Still has the Marzen blah qualities that tend to leave me bored at times.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. A light 1/2 inch off-white head from a reduces quickly to a lacing around the edges. It is a lovely copper color with no sediment.

The aroma is as expected with a nice malty caramel sweetness. This is well backed up by a more bitter hoppiness with earthy and alcohol notes.

The taste is also malty and caramel sweet upfront with a healthy bitter hops backbone. A banana and clove taste sits on the tongue towards the finish. The alcohol is well hidden.

The mouthfeel was medium/full bodied with a somewhat high level of carbonation for the flavor. The bitterness mixed with the carbonation leaves a crisp but dry sensation at the finish.

This is a very drinkable beer, should you be a fan of the lagers. It has a very nice level of sweet and bitter and is quite well balanced. I like the way the flavors and alcohol work together and would have it again, should it be available.

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle, into Sam Adams Lager glass.

Pours a dark copper, with a creamy white head that doesn't disappear.

Nose is very sweet caramel malt, floral hops underneath, and quite a bit of sharp alcohol coming through too.

Taste is a huge dose of toasty, sweet caramel malt up front, with the alcohol bringing a noticeable spicy bitterness as well to try and rein in the huge malty sweetness.

Really, this level of alcohol in a lager puts me off a bit, as does the insane sweetness you get - kind of twists some of the best qualities of an Oktoberfest instead of enhancing them. Swing and a miss for me, from a brewer that I've had a few homeruns from.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a bottle purchased at the common market in charlotte nc.
Pours a beautiful amber colored body with a light small head.
Nose is full of biscuit malt with some good lager qualities, just amplified. Little roasty nose and some wheat too.
The taste has a very sweet biscuit malt. Imagen and very robust, full bodied oktoberfest beer. Kinda a lager/bock on steroids. Good wheat flavor, good sweet biscuit malt and good subtle hop character. I love this beer, it's easily my favorite oktoberfest.
Mouthfeel is clean and easy to drink.
Get this beer when you can, avery hits it dead on once again!

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

11 ounce goblet - $6.00 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Near opaque, orange-amber body with a small, somewhat fizzy, white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling, boozy nose of apricots marinating in apple brandy with a background scent of toasted caramel malts.

Taste: Initial blend of caramel malts and hot apple brandy with a charged dose of sweetness. Pinch of crushed, toasted bread crumbs. Plenty of alcohol heat throughout. A particularly distinct spice character transitions into Noble hops with a medium bitterness. Basically, it's just more of the same till the finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit above medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I've made several attempts to find, within me, some love for the Kaiser, but it's just not going to happen, I'm afraid. I'm hesitant to toss out the phrase "hot boozy mess", but it's pretty fitting. Perhaps it's time to for a replacement dictator-themed beer. May I suggest a Napoleon French Bière de Garde or Mussolini Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter.

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

22 ounce bottle, bottled in 2007. I guess this was in my fridge longer than I thought! Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours an orange amber color with about an inch and a half frothy off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. It smells like sweet and toasted malt, nutmeg, cherries and some spicy hops. The taste is similar to the aroma, I can taste toasted malt, brown sugar, toffee, and some spicy and citrusy hops. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and has low carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it's very smooth and very easy to drink. I think this is a solid overall beer. I guess the next time it comes out I'll have to try it fresh, but I have to say it ages good!

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

taste- sweet malt, sour, spice

color- orange-copper

clarity- clear

smell- spice, floral, malt notes

body- medium body, oily, medium-long finish

appearance- clear, flat, little carbonation

overall impression- not my style of beer, the sweet malt and sour notes don't agree with me. for a 10.03 percenter, it's an easy drinker.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

So, get this - I went back to Santa Fe for Christmas '08 and visited a trashy little liquor store I used to frequent. There I found, tucked at the back of their fridge, one lone bottle of this beer dated 2005! I asked the clerk how much for it and he said, "I don't know, I haven't seen it before". So I said, "You have to give me a price if I'm to buy it!" He said "Ok, ten bucks." I said, "What? You don't even know what it is! Six bucks." He thought about it and suggested, "Eight bucks?" I said, "Sold!" So I then added it to the box I shipped myself after the holidays. It arrived safely here in Vermont and I coddled it for another month before I finally opened it, four years after it was bottled, on Superbowl Sunday, February 1st, 2009. Out of the well-aged bottle the fluid was a cloudy, garnet/amber color with a lot of visible sediment. The head was thin, which was to be expected, but the retention was moderate as a beige skim that left thin streaks of lacing. The aroma was of caramel malt, hazelnuts, raisins, brown sugar and a touch of alcohol. The flavors were really stupendous, all the aging had done it well. It started with a nip of the alcohol and some fruity esters, then it went into caramel and toasted malt, toffee, light wood, hints of raisins and brown sugar. Despite being rich and sweet the finish was appropriately bitter and really balanced my palate nicely. The carbonation was soft, partly due to the age I imagine, the mouthfeel was smooth and the body medium/full. A great experience and a true find.

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

A-Reddish/orange color that pours crystal clear.Quick falling tan head,no lacing.

S-First hit is rich caramel malts with a mix of spicy hops.Sherry or alcohol aroma takes over from there.

T-At first I taste rich,sweet malts and a slight hop presence but it is overwhelmed by a light bourbon taste that is very warming.

M-The beer is a medium/full body that is just the way it should be,good carbonation.

D-This is a rich sweet treat,nice for sipping on.It would be a nice after dinner beer or a nice nightcap!

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured a clear brown with a large frothy light brown head that was lasting and produced excellent lacing.

Heavy malt and heavy hops aroma.

Medium to full body with a sticky texture.

Full well balanced flavor with a moderate bitter finish of moderate to long duration.

Very good brew and one of my top rated bottled beers for style.

4.3/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance- Pours an off white head that dissapates quickly and virtally no lacing but a beautiful very deep orange colored brew.

Smell- Amber malts and a hint of sourness

Taste- A rush of syrupy sweet amber malts and a good dose of bitter hoppiness.

Mouthfeel- Sliky smooth on the palate, a bit sticky and mouthwatering

Drinkability- Exceptional drinkability especially for over nine percent ABV. Tons of flavor and big alcohol presence is largely masked by massive flavor.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

22oz. Amber pour, fairly clear. Whitish head. Malty aromas with some light citrus. More malty flavors than the usual Octoberfest brew. Definetely improves itself as it warms. Brown sugar, fig, raisin. Big, but smooth and clean finishing. Good to have by the fire in October. Yet another good brew from Avery, I have yet to be dissappointed. One of the best I've had for the style, but really outside the norm for the style.

22oz bomber

A: Poured into a New Belgium globe. The head is no more than a centimeter and dissipates quickly, leaving only a thin layer of bubbles. It's a deep shade of amber, and appears somewhat less viscous than water. This is going to be a heavy one.

S: Immediately I'm hit with sweet malts; some maple notes, maybe a bit of cherry. After warming, I can pick up some grain and and a touch of alcohol, and the overall aroma somewhat reflects pecan pie.

T: On the first sip I think of candi sugar. Are you sure this isn't Belgian? Pleasantly sweet with a bready background. Very little hops in the flavour, like the aroma. The alcohol is a bit warming in the back of the mouth. I would imagine that one could mix a doppelbock with an Oktoberfest and get something similar, if not as well balanced.

M: The viscosity I noticed earlier is readily apparent here; it's not the chewiest beer, but it's definitely thicker than your garden-variety Märzen. Coats my tongue in a way similar to sherry.

D: I'll be honest, I couldn't drink more than one bomber of this. It's rather sweet, and the alcohol is prominent compared to, say, an old ale. That said, it isn't cloying, and I'm having no trouble finishing this.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

The pours pours a nice looking, clear amber color with a small off-white head. Lots of toasted pecans on the nose. A good amount of alcohol and a hint of citrussy hops.

The taste is very sweet lots of toffee notes. Some maple syrupy flavors seems to be in there as well, with possibly a bit of honey. A fair amount of alchol is detected. Carbonation is a bit low. The mouthfeel is a bit slick and syruppy, which is something I have noted when drinking Imperial style lagers.

Overall, a fun beer to try but not something I would seek out.

4.3/5  rDev +12%

pours a light amber color with a 1 finger white head that fades quickly and leaves a small amount of lacing

the smells is of malts and biscuit with some floral tones from the hops

the taste is pretty good sweet with a malt and caramel with the aftertaste showing the %10 abv for sure with some hop tones in the end

this is pretty balanced thick the carbonation is pretty low

Drinkability is pretty good with a nice sweet taste of malts besides the higher ABV which would limit the amount you could have i really enjoyed this one.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

I think this is the first imperial marzen i've ever tasted or even seen.

A dark amber hue and little head that disappears quickly doesn't prepare you for the fantastic journey that your'e infor.

take the best aspects of an oktoberfest and double them. Very nice caramel taste accented with a bitter hoppy-citrusy backbite.

The mouthfeel is acceptional, probably the best i've even experienced. smooth and creamy, soothing the bite of the alcohol.

yes, i would definately buy it again. especially if it came in 4 or 6 packs.

3.28/5  rDev -14.6%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a really nice looking dark amber color with a nice off-white head that has a good amount of lacing.

S- The aroma is very similar to a typical Oktoberfest with sweet caramel malt and ripe fruits. Only difference is the flavors are more enhanced and there is more alcohol as well in the aroma.

T- The taste like the aroma is exactly what you would expect from an Imperial Oktoberfest. The taste is very sweet and malty with a noticeable amount of alcohol in the finish. Good flavors, but this one is a bit too boozy for my personal tastes.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Very nice texture.

D- The drinkability suffers a bit from the high ABV, but it is an interesting take on a style. Worth a shot.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Pour: Deep Thick reddish hue with an off white head.
Nose: Rich caramel malt with sweetness and a hint of citrus.
Taste: Very big Oktoberfest beer. A bit too much. There is a huge complex malt character with sweetness and hopps on the end.
Body Thick and rich
Finish: Slightly acidic.
Overall: This beer is an Avery style beer it is very huge. The one thing that this beer needs is a better finish and a bit toned downed. It was tasty nevertheless.

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Looks generally like an O-fest. Clear amber, small head, not much retention.

S - Honey, and some acetone. Smells as strong as it is.

T - Like a sweetened Oktoberfest. Alcohol doesn't manifest itself to the extent I smelled it, thankfully. Not so bad, it just doesn't have to be this sweet. Lower the ABV and sweetness a couple notches, and we might have something here.

F - Somewhat sticky, as you might expect.

D - I didn't know that anyone was clamoring to "Imperialize" the Oktoberfest. Still, it could work better by toning it down just a little.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Dark copper pour with a thick off-white head. Hearty aroma of brown sugar, bread, yeast and noble hops. Unbeliveably smooth taste. Sweet with malt, but balanced by the nobles, some cookies, vanilla, and white pepper. I just wish they would have this year-round instead of Oktoberfest.

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

2007 bottling poured Nov 29, 2008

pours a deep autumn orange rust color with a two-finger head which quickly dissipates

lots of ripe fruit, nuts, caramel, buttered toast, and nutmeg-like spice in the nose

cloying sweet and fruity taste with every bit of the 9.4ABV present, becomes a bit hard to swallow as it warms

mouthfeel is sticky and fairly viscous

Not really a very drinkable one for me, had trouble polishing the bomber off, especially as it warmed - probably better off to share this with someone or pair up with some cheese or food (maybe a nice slice of warm apple pie). I must say I was intrigued by the concept of an "Imperial" Oktoberfest but I found this much too sweet and malty for my taste - this beer IS the session

The Kaiser from Avery Brewing Company