The Kaiser | Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

The Kaiser once said, “Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.” If the Kaiser and his significant other had tipped this bottle, we’d all be “sprechenden Deutsch!” We took all that is good in a traditional Oktoberfest – gorgeous, deep copper sheen, massive malty backbone and spicy, floral, pungent Noble hops – then intensified each into this, an Imperial Oktoberfest.

Added by maxpower on 08-28-2004

Ratings: 1,339 |  Reviews: 663
3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours with lots of carbonation and fizzy weak head. Dark Amber color. Aroma is bold and strong, heavy heavy malt with hints of prune, bready, caremel and sticky sweetness. You can literly smell how sticky sweet this beer is going to taste. You can detect some earthyness from hops but difficult to really pull out.

Goes down like sweet magical syrup but the high carbonation lightens the mouthfeel more than you would expect. Still this beer is malty to the core. Even the finish is sweet but there was definately some attempt to town it down with hops at the very very end.

This beer has an intersting ability to be very malty yet highly carbonated. Usually I don't link the two together but it works in this case.

I definately like this beer. Not an everyday drinker for sure but as a warmup for Oktoberfest, not bad at all and not much out there to compare it to.

4.74/5  rDev +22.2%

I am a huge fan of the Dictator series, this is the only one I have yet to try, so I am supper-excited.

A - clear copper hued w/ an initially massive head that eventually shrinks to just a bubbly film across the top of the brew.

S - heavy caramel malts w/ a backing of spicy/floral hops. This beer has quite a pungent aroma for the style(perhaps the high abv. plays a role here?) apple and toasted biscuit also have big roles in the smell.

T - the flavor is dominated by a yeasty biscuit flavor, but well complimented by a slight spice that appears between waves of rolling sweetness. (damn this is good)then a light dose of hops with a welcome warming from the alcohol. all of this before a clean finish. Lots of flavor here considering the style.

MF - medium carbonation, big full body. feel is crisp and clean.

D - verdict is in. appearently Avery can make huge, well executed lagers too! very drinkable, but respect the 9.3%

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Just got my hands on this years "The Kaiser". Let me start out by saying that I am typically not a Lager fan (always think back to my college Bud days...) but this is truly exceptional. It has a pretty strong start, reminding me of their "Hog Heaven" barlywine a bit, then it goes a completely different direction. That lager finish is one of the best I have ever tasted. It is full and flavorful, and almost kind of hits you at the end.

Cheers to Avery for a top notch Imperial Oktoberfest Lager!

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Pours an copper color with an orange tint. Very small white head that quickly dissipated and left no lacing.

Smell is of malts and sweet fruit.

Taste is sweet, malty with some alcohol warming.

This is a nice strong marzen, my bottle said 10.03 ABV, doesn't overpower for that number. This is one I would recommend and have again.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Had this one the other day with my father. Poured a translucent orange copper color with thin white head that faded quickly and left almost no lacing. Smelled of heavy malts, light fruits, and yeast. Tasted the same with some mild hops. Smooth, just a tinge overcarbed. Could definitely drink this one again.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Pours a dark amber with reddish orange highlights. Nice huge head that stays awhile.

S: Nice floral hops with sweet malt. Kind of a slight fruity aroma as well.

T: Sweet upfront with a nice hop bite soon after. Caramel there as well. The alcohol is warming and noticeable but not offensive.

This was an interesting beer. But I gotta say that I won't buy this again. This just isn't what I want in an O-fest...

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

A- I love the color of this beer. Almost a bright red. Nice off-white head that fades somewhat rapidly. Spotty lacing.

S- Hops dominate--a light citrus scent with some floral hops that kind of remind me of soap (but it's still good). Some sweetness in there too from the malt.

T- Malty-- some caramel, grain notes, some syrup. Finishes with some hops--citrus (orange/lemon zest). Can get a little bit of the alcohol too. Almost tastes like an amber to me.

M- Slightly overcarbonated IMO. Still, thick though. A bit sticky.

D- A good sipper. Definitely an interesting beer from Avery, I will definitely explore Avery more.

3.02/5  rDev -22.2%

I got a bottle of the Kaiser from BevMo the week it came out. I was trying to grab some Oktoberfest imports and thought a domestic one would be a good counterpoint. Unfortunately Avery failed on this one, labeled as an "Imperial Oktoberfest"

Poured a beautifully vibrant burnt-orange, quite clear. No head or lace at all.

Aroma of malt and a sharp sweetness of sugar crystals.

Huge body, thick, almost a chewy beer (not for wookies sorry). Malts everywhere, as I expect from an Oktoberfest, but holy jeez is it sweet. Not cloying but almost corn syrupy sweet. Way too sweet for this style. The malts seem fairly representative of a good oktoberfest. Bam, a bit hot too. Ok, fairly hot even with all the sweetness and malt running around. Very faint trailing of bitterness, odd.

This is probably great for malt heads, and while I was interested in a so-called Imperial take on an Oktoberfest, this just didn't work for me. I could only take about 1/2 the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

this is a damn fine beer. poured a nice amber color into the glass with just over an inch of rich head. smells of lightly roasted malt with a hop scent to it. good flavor similar to the smell.

this is one that i had from a bomber and i would have had a second if there were any left. good balanced beer.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Had on tap at the Brickstore Pub in ATL. Served up in an nonic pint. Imperial Marzen really caught my eye, why the hell not?

A: Served up as a dark orange/very coppery color. The body is pretty damned hazy and is near impossible to see through. The pour was topped with a finger or more of white head. That head had some decent retention, lasting a good portion of the experience before falling to a white ring. The lace is spotty and soapy. Pretty much what I would expect from a decent marzen.

S: Smell is pretty malt dominant but the aroma is incredibly subdued. Getting some rich German malty goodness with some caramel. There may be a touch of apricot and banana in here. Slight hops coming through that have a nip of bitterness in the nose. Not bad, but nothing really grabbing my full on attention.

T: Pretty much the same as the nose. Nice malts coming through in the form of some carmael and biscuit. The fruit flavors are minimal but are here with a touch of sweet banana. Hops cut the sweetness bringing things in balance. I say this, but it brings in dangerously close to blandness or mediocrity. Its good, don't get me wrong, but its just a bit blah at times.

M: Medium bodied with a nice crisp carbonation. I can not believe the ABV is this high because I got no trace of it in the taste or in the feel. Pretty hearty and refreshing finish. Aftertaste is mostly some malt lingering.

D: Not a bad beer at all. The pint went away quickly and I had no issues with that. I have to say that beer did not overly impress me, but it didn't disappoint me either. I guess that is what happens when you go in with no expectations. Not a bad beer and an interesting take on a marzen, especially make one this big. Still has the Marzen blah qualities that tend to leave me bored at times.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. A light 1/2 inch off-white head from a reduces quickly to a lacing around the edges. It is a lovely copper color with no sediment.

The aroma is as expected with a nice malty caramel sweetness. This is well backed up by a more bitter hoppiness with earthy and alcohol notes.

The taste is also malty and caramel sweet upfront with a healthy bitter hops backbone. A banana and clove taste sits on the tongue towards the finish. The alcohol is well hidden.

The mouthfeel was medium/full bodied with a somewhat high level of carbonation for the flavor. The bitterness mixed with the carbonation leaves a crisp but dry sensation at the finish.

This is a very drinkable beer, should you be a fan of the lagers. It has a very nice level of sweet and bitter and is quite well balanced. I like the way the flavors and alcohol work together and would have it again, should it be available.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle, into Sam Adams Lager glass.

Pours a dark copper, with a creamy white head that doesn't disappear.

Nose is very sweet caramel malt, floral hops underneath, and quite a bit of sharp alcohol coming through too.

Taste is a huge dose of toasty, sweet caramel malt up front, with the alcohol bringing a noticeable spicy bitterness as well to try and rein in the huge malty sweetness.

Really, this level of alcohol in a lager puts me off a bit, as does the insane sweetness you get - kind of twists some of the best qualities of an Oktoberfest instead of enhancing them. Swing and a miss for me, from a brewer that I've had a few homeruns from.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle purchased at the common market in charlotte nc.
Pours a beautiful amber colored body with a light small head.
Nose is full of biscuit malt with some good lager qualities, just amplified. Little roasty nose and some wheat too.
The taste has a very sweet biscuit malt. Imagen and very robust, full bodied oktoberfest beer. Kinda a lager/bock on steroids. Good wheat flavor, good sweet biscuit malt and good subtle hop character. I love this beer, it's easily my favorite oktoberfest.
Mouthfeel is clean and easy to drink.
Get this beer when you can, avery hits it dead on once again!

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

11 ounce goblet - $6.00 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Near opaque, orange-amber body with a small, somewhat fizzy, white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling, boozy nose of apricots marinating in apple brandy with a background scent of toasted caramel malts.

Taste: Initial blend of caramel malts and hot apple brandy with a charged dose of sweetness. Pinch of crushed, toasted bread crumbs. Plenty of alcohol heat throughout. A particularly distinct spice character transitions into Noble hops with a medium bitterness. Basically, it's just more of the same till the finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit above medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I've made several attempts to find, within me, some love for the Kaiser, but it's just not going to happen, I'm afraid. I'm hesitant to toss out the phrase "hot boozy mess", but it's pretty fitting. Perhaps it's time to for a replacement dictator-themed beer. May I suggest a Napoleon French Bière de Garde or Mussolini Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

22 ounce bottle, bottled in 2007. I guess this was in my fridge longer than I thought! Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours an orange amber color with about an inch and a half frothy off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. It smells like sweet and toasted malt, nutmeg, cherries and some spicy hops. The taste is similar to the aroma, I can taste toasted malt, brown sugar, toffee, and some spicy and citrusy hops. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and has low carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it's very smooth and very easy to drink. I think this is a solid overall beer. I guess the next time it comes out I'll have to try it fresh, but I have to say it ages good!

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

taste- sweet malt, sour, spice

color- orange-copper

clarity- clear

smell- spice, floral, malt notes

body- medium body, oily, medium-long finish

appearance- clear, flat, little carbonation

overall impression- not my style of beer, the sweet malt and sour notes don't agree with me. for a 10.03 percenter, it's an easy drinker.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

So, get this - I went back to Santa Fe for Christmas '08 and visited a trashy little liquor store I used to frequent. There I found, tucked at the back of their fridge, one lone bottle of this beer dated 2005! I asked the clerk how much for it and he said, "I don't know, I haven't seen it before". So I said, "You have to give me a price if I'm to buy it!" He said "Ok, ten bucks." I said, "What? You don't even know what it is! Six bucks." He thought about it and suggested, "Eight bucks?" I said, "Sold!" So I then added it to the box I shipped myself after the holidays. It arrived safely here in Vermont and I coddled it for another month before I finally opened it, four years after it was bottled, on Superbowl Sunday, February 1st, 2009. Out of the well-aged bottle the fluid was a cloudy, garnet/amber color with a lot of visible sediment. The head was thin, which was to be expected, but the retention was moderate as a beige skim that left thin streaks of lacing. The aroma was of caramel malt, hazelnuts, raisins, brown sugar and a touch of alcohol. The flavors were really stupendous, all the aging had done it well. It started with a nip of the alcohol and some fruity esters, then it went into caramel and toasted malt, toffee, light wood, hints of raisins and brown sugar. Despite being rich and sweet the finish was appropriately bitter and really balanced my palate nicely. The carbonation was soft, partly due to the age I imagine, the mouthfeel was smooth and the body medium/full. A great experience and a true find.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

A-Reddish/orange color that pours crystal clear.Quick falling tan head,no lacing.

S-First hit is rich caramel malts with a mix of spicy hops.Sherry or alcohol aroma takes over from there.

T-At first I taste rich,sweet malts and a slight hop presence but it is overwhelmed by a light bourbon taste that is very warming.

M-The beer is a medium/full body that is just the way it should be,good carbonation.

D-This is a rich sweet treat,nice for sipping on.It would be a nice after dinner beer or a nice nightcap!

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a clear brown with a large frothy light brown head that was lasting and produced excellent lacing.

Heavy malt and heavy hops aroma.

Medium to full body with a sticky texture.

Full well balanced flavor with a moderate bitter finish of moderate to long duration.

Very good brew and one of my top rated bottled beers for style.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance- Pours an off white head that dissapates quickly and virtally no lacing but a beautiful very deep orange colored brew.

Smell- Amber malts and a hint of sourness

Taste- A rush of syrupy sweet amber malts and a good dose of bitter hoppiness.

Mouthfeel- Sliky smooth on the palate, a bit sticky and mouthwatering

Drinkability- Exceptional drinkability especially for over nine percent ABV. Tons of flavor and big alcohol presence is largely masked by massive flavor.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz. Amber pour, fairly clear. Whitish head. Malty aromas with some light citrus. More malty flavors than the usual Octoberfest brew. Definetely improves itself as it warms. Brown sugar, fig, raisin. Big, but smooth and clean finishing. Good to have by the fire in October. Yet another good brew from Avery, I have yet to be dissappointed. One of the best I've had for the style, but really outside the norm for the style.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

22oz bomber

A: Poured into a New Belgium globe. The head is no more than a centimeter and dissipates quickly, leaving only a thin layer of bubbles. It's a deep shade of amber, and appears somewhat less viscous than water. This is going to be a heavy one.

S: Immediately I'm hit with sweet malts; some maple notes, maybe a bit of cherry. After warming, I can pick up some grain and and a touch of alcohol, and the overall aroma somewhat reflects pecan pie.

T: On the first sip I think of candi sugar. Are you sure this isn't Belgian? Pleasantly sweet with a bready background. Very little hops in the flavour, like the aroma. The alcohol is a bit warming in the back of the mouth. I would imagine that one could mix a doppelbock with an Oktoberfest and get something similar, if not as well balanced.

M: The viscosity I noticed earlier is readily apparent here; it's not the chewiest beer, but it's definitely thicker than your garden-variety Märzen. Coats my tongue in a way similar to sherry.

D: I'll be honest, I couldn't drink more than one bomber of this. It's rather sweet, and the alcohol is prominent compared to, say, an old ale. That said, it isn't cloying, and I'm having no trouble finishing this.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

The pours pours a nice looking, clear amber color with a small off-white head. Lots of toasted pecans on the nose. A good amount of alcohol and a hint of citrussy hops.

The taste is very sweet lots of toffee notes. Some maple syrupy flavors seems to be in there as well, with possibly a bit of honey. A fair amount of alchol is detected. Carbonation is a bit low. The mouthfeel is a bit slick and syruppy, which is something I have noted when drinking Imperial style lagers.

Overall, a fun beer to try but not something I would seek out.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

pours a light amber color with a 1 finger white head that fades quickly and leaves a small amount of lacing

the smells is of malts and biscuit with some floral tones from the hops

the taste is pretty good sweet with a malt and caramel with the aftertaste showing the %10 abv for sure with some hop tones in the end

this is pretty balanced thick the carbonation is pretty low

Drinkability is pretty good with a nice sweet taste of malts besides the higher ABV which would limit the amount you could have i really enjoyed this one.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

I think this is the first imperial marzen i've ever tasted or even seen.

A dark amber hue and little head that disappears quickly doesn't prepare you for the fantastic journey that your'e infor.

take the best aspects of an oktoberfest and double them. Very nice caramel taste accented with a bitter hoppy-citrusy backbite.

The mouthfeel is acceptional, probably the best i've even experienced. smooth and creamy, soothing the bite of the alcohol.

yes, i would definately buy it again. especially if it came in 4 or 6 packs.

The Kaiser from Avery Brewing Company