The Reverend | Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.

Added by kbub6f on 03-21-2002

Ratings: 1,880 |  Reviews: 836
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

From 22 oz bomber which has been relaxing around the house since Jan. or so.

Pours a fall friendly orange-brown with thin but nitro-dense cream colored head and a solid sheet of lacing. A flurry of floaters.

Smell: sweet, caramel, a soft almost-banana, somewhat of an earthy / spicy base and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: dark brown sugar, very ripe black plum, soft pear, alcohol is there but pretty well hidden. As it warms, the end of the sip brings grapeskin and tannin flavors that seems out of place.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, very soft and smooth ,but could use quite a bit more staying power.

This one starts off pretty good but at the end of the sip everything goes wrong.

3.27/5  rDev -14.8%

A dark honey color with a nice firm white head. Pretty to look at.

Nose of honey and orange blossoms and very attractive.

Mouthfeel is light with light carbonation.

Flavors of sweet candi sugar/Belgian malt flavors - cooked fruit, apricots/pears. A bit too sweet but pleasant. Light hop/grapefruit bitterness. This one is soft with a bit of a gentle malty mouth. Nice but nothing special.

Nice orange peel finish.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Avery for bringing a cask of this down to Trinity. Pours a hazy brown with a thin tan head. Nose has ripe fruits, candy malt and peppery yeast. Taste has herbal yeast, spicy alcohol and bready malts. Medium body is well carbonated. Cask definately adds to the mouthfeel and overall complexity.

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Good crafty US Belgian Quad. It should not be that common a brew, and yet feels a bit too predictable.

Presentation: 22 oz bottle. Tongue in cheek design? Maybe so, in a way expected from these big brews at Avery, and yet there is a history around a homage to a religious relative of the brewers that would add another layer to the drink but it is not told on the bottle. Gratuitous, and uninformative "funny" description with some details about the ingredients that, albeit late, try to highlight the complexity and Belgian mimicking. Lacks date of bottling or freshness or any other data but Alc. (10%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Dark amber/reddish color. 1 inch head quickly disappears to leave a consistent ring and some floaters .

S - Sweetness, caramel... Roasted malt. Something else maybe but it does not show much complexity to unveil it.

T - Nice flavor, complex in the caramel and around touches of spices.... There is a tangy, sour-like note a few times. I'd even say it reminded me for a second of eel sushi (not a bad thing, but quite a surprise. I can't really match it.)

M - Quite carbonated, but feeling about right for an IPA.

D - Hmmm, it is drinkable. It is a good beer, but after the whole bomber it felt a bit too straight forward. Not half the personality I was expecting (my bad).

Notes: I must recognized that I´m not very learned about quads, not even at my aficionado level. And sure, I was sort of expecting something more, something more special. If I had not had those preconceptions I would have probably enjoyed more what was a solid and nice brew. And yet, next to other quads, or certainly the complexity of most barley wines, it felt a bit, quite a bit actually for me, forgettable.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice amber color with minimal head.

Slight floral/citrus yeast aroma, smelled like a barleywine.

Taste of slight sweet bitterness, along with a hint of hops fruitiness. The alcohol was hidden well.

The warmer the beer got, the thicker it felt on the tongue. Once room temp, after nursing it, I liked it much more then when I started.

Recommended.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

A- reddish-orange...medium head that went away quickly...leaves a nice ring

S- caramel sugar...reminds me of barleywine...I also got a hint of dark rum as well

T- sweet, but not cloying...orange peel...candied sugar...again, reminds me of a barleywine

M- alcohol warming...fine, but plentiful carbonation...flavors really grow as the beer goes on...nice bit of sweetness sticks to the back of the tongue

D- I like it...it is a bit of a heavy beer, but I wouldn't shy away fron having it again if given the opportunity

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A=very reddish amber color, with a lightly tan one finger head that dissipated quickly

S=of cake and some fruitiness, lightly like bananas

T=gently spicy with some malts and fruitiness on the tail.

M=light tight carbonation with an easy feel

D=enjoyable beer, ABV to high to enjoy too many...

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Drank out of a bomber split in two glasses
A. A very cloudy brown with a head that mildly stuck to the glass

S. A very average smell. Nothing rises above the rest. Slight fruity smell but nothing special.

T. Average taste. There are no explicit flavors, but there is a small banana taste

M. Hardly any carbonation but there is a very complex feel after the drink. altough nonthing is over enjoyable

D. Average. NOTHING SPECIAL BUT IT IS NOT TERRIBLE.

2.72/5  rDev -29.2%

A - Poured from bottle, about a finger of head, perfect color and haziness for the style. Light red/brown and very opaque.

S - Not pleasant, very thick in the nose with sour notes and a syrupy sweetness

T - Lots of yeast, banana esters, honey, very thick on the tongue with a sour aftertaste.

M/D - The mouthfeel is slightly short of bar syrup. Very thick and cloying and not bad for style. Overall this is exceptionally boozy and hard to drink, this my mouthfeel score.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

The appearance is thick, murky, plum-red. Head dies fast. Color and body are beautiful, though the head does evaporate.

The smell is white wine all the way, and the alcohol comes in like gin. Sweet grapes and sour plums. Charcoal ashes in the nose, as well as nutmeg. Really complex. Gritty grain bill as it warms up, and another wave of that 10% alcohol.

The taste is sweet grapes, perfume and rose petals. Heavy alcohol presence. Red apple and pears. Starts harsh and bitter. Finishes sweet and fruity. The malts emerge as the temperature rises, with a finish of dark stone fruits.

The feel is severely thick and syrupy. High-density, like a red-wine. Smooth and oliy and big. This is a solid quad all around; it's complex and bittersweet. Like a hefty red wine and a fruity white.

2.56/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The Avery Reverend Quad pours into a tall pils glass a slighty foggy bronze, with a thin cream colored head.

The aroma after the pour is sweet malts, clove and yeast.

The taste is one which comes at you in distinct stages. The first stage has a chlorophenolic character. The second is clove and yeast. And, the final stage is black licorice and brown sugar/molasses malts.

The mouthfeel is heavy and oily; not overly carbonated.

This quad struggles to find a taste. But the taste can't make it through the wall of synthetic/chlorophenol flavor which greets you with the first sip. It's a big beer ... a sipper for sure, took a lonnng time to finish.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Quick review - strangely sweet quad. The right beer for someone else, perhaps.

Color - in the dim light of the evening, holding it up to a lamp, this beer appears to be a deep honey. The beer started of with 1"+ of head that quickly dissipated. No signs of nucleation but it readily rebuilds head with a swirl. The head is very light and doesn't leave much behind.

Smell - something rich and malty. I may even be able to smell some alcohol heat in there. I can't say that I smell anything flowery or piney, but I had a few Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA's earlier so that's probably not helping. There's a sweetness maybe like overripe fruit. I can't place it.

Taste - the malty sweetness I was smelling comes through and there's some offsetting bitterness trying to keep it in check. The malty sweetness is a bit different than expected. Or maybe it's the offsetting bitterness. Or maybe there's some sourness in it. Maybe it's been too long since I've had a quad, the last I recall was Urthel about 2 years ago, but this beer has something I haven't had in a while. Also, I could be wrong, and I usually don't usually notice it, but I think I taste the alcohol coming through.

Mouthfeel - I would call this thickish. Not too thick, but thickish.

Sessioning - not in the summer heat I was in today. Overall, I'm not huge on the flavor so it's not very sessionable to me, but someone that loved this beer could lightly session it on a cool day.

Closing notes - I rated this beer as I did because I don't consider it poorly made or anything. It's not my type, but it seems rather unique. If it's not exactly a Belgian Quad, well it's not exactly made in Belgium. It's an American craft ale from an American craft brewery with a lot going on. For that, I couldn't rate it very high, but I wouldn't discount it either.

3.41/5  rDev -11.2%

Had on tap at The Comet the other night. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a fairly deep brown with qutie a bit of ruby shining through; comes with a one finger off-white head that disappears with the exception of the ring at the surface; leaves a pretty full lacing on the sides and there is no visible carbonation.

Smell: Burnt roasty malts; a bitter hop profile; a very mild dark fruitness and something a little "off" - kind of like a slight hint of vinegar.

Taste: Mostly bitter and grassy hops; the sweet dark fruits and some dark malts hiding out in there as well; alcohol is definitely present.

Mouthfeel: A little tingly, but only from the alcohol as there is no carbonation. A fairly thick body leaves a bit of a stickiness and coating on the mouth, but really kind of a boring drink here.

Drinkability: It's not bad, but I will not likely be looking for this one again. The "off" scent in smell is a bit of a turn off and the flavor just doesn't match up with others in the style.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a chalice. Pours a dark amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is ripe alcohol soaked dark fruits, dark candi sugar and Belgian yeast.

T- The taste like the aroma features a lot of dark alcohol soaked fruit flavors, a lot of sweet malt and dark candied sugar and a big heavy alcohol finish. The sweetness and high ABV would make this a good after dinner sipper.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- The alcohol is definitely there in the this one, so it is definitely a sipper. It isn't the best Quad that I've tried, but definitely not the worst. The

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bomber poured into Ommegang chalice.

This is a light translucent ruby red color without much in terms of head. It doesn't look much like many of the Quads I've had in the past, which I remember being much darker. Smell is light and fruity: apple juice, peach juice and sugars. Not much in terms of spiciness.

Alcohol is at the forefront of the flavor and it is hard to describe much behind it. Maybe there is some mild fruitiness and sweetness (apple, pear, cherry?) but it is pretty burning and intense. Not really any spiciness.

I'm a little disappointed, as this doesn't really compare well at all to the better Quads I've had.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Like almost all of my brews, enjoyed with capra12 and Jimmy out of a snifter.

A: Deep mahogany in color, ever so slightly with a reddish tinge. Poured a tight, thick, ivory head which dissipated in a few minutes. Left decent, though blotchy lacing.

S: Some assertive scent... some sweet smelling wood seemed to dominate the opening followed by figs and subtely thereafter by prunes. Over time and aeration, roasted malts and woodchips begin to make their presence known.

T: It opens strongly alcoholic which carries through throughout the entire length of the beer. Underlying tones include vanilla extract, brown sugar, syrup, molasses... seemingly typical of Avery compared to Beast, Samael, & Meph. The experience rushes you through the middle and end with an abrupt finish. Aftertaste is of drawn out, lingering alcohol. Again, although the ABV is only about 10%, all of that 10% is pretty much in your face.

M: Medium body with low carbonation. Seemed to leave a barely noticeable film coating the mouth.

D: Somewhat drinkable, I would enjoy a big bottle to myself.

3.8/5  rDev -1%

THe Reverend emerges from the bottle a deep malted amber color. Poured into my snifter, looks very brandylike in apperance. Light head settles down quickly, leaving a nice malt toned glass of brew.
Smell immediatley reminds me of a German Dunkle Lager, with a heavier hand. Malty caramelized orange, clove, banana, red grapes,oaks, dark molasses vanilla, a light smokiness the reminds me of cedar in its mustiness. A nice yeasty background provides an overall nice creamy musty fruitiness that is a good foil to the upfront malt presence. I am glad tha Avery has not taked an "American" approach to this and hopped it all to hell.
Flavor is much sweeter than expected. Molasses upfront, honeyed grapes, toffee, caramel, sweet candied citrus fruits, sugary raisins, a dark breadlike chewiness enhances that malty/raisiny palate.
The finish is long and warming. The mouthfeel is not extrodinarily thick, but it does stick around for a while. A Barlywine like version of a Quad in my opinion.
I think that this would go nicely with roasted meat, given its sweet toasted malt character, it would overwhlem any seafood preparation, maybe a glazed tuna would work. A nice hunk of Stilton or Aged Cheddar, with a slice of dark bread would also work nicely. Maybe even a toffee preparation. overall good, but not quite as complex as coprable Belgian versions.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%

Deep copper, high clarity. Head is moderate but doesn't last -- some lacing.

Lots of dark fruit -- plum and raisin, mostly -- and sweet belgian yeast. Fair bit of banana as well. Fairly pronounced alcohol. Some caramel/toffee malt notes.

Caramel and raisin on the palate, and something weird ... I can't nail it down, but when I'm done with this I'll thumb through the other reviews and see if anyone else has hit on it. Alcohol is more well masked on the palate than in the nose.Some citrusy hops as well.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, low carbonation.

It's reasonably drinkable. Could use a little more body and a little more carbonation.

Overall a pretty good beer, but not the first quad I'd reach for, though I do like the slightly hoppy twist.

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a capped 750 with that red avery foil on it.

Appearance: Hazy dark orange. Lighter in color than I expected.

Smell: Great heavy sweet fresh baked bread and peaches or apricots with a little spice.

Taste: Whoa, pure alcohol up front, then mostly dark sweet sugar and less fruit and bread than I smelled. Becomes, very sweet, too sweet.

Mouthfeel: I like. I little syrupy and thick, but not uncarbonated. That strong booziness cleanses the palate.

Drinkability: Overall, I'd be lying if I said I didnt really enjoy it. Its too sweet for me though, and I really like a sweet belgian. Theres just not enough other interesting flavor to balance the sweet for me. Good, but not the same ballpark as the classic quads like St Bernardus or Rochefort, not even the same sport.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into a snifter for a clear ruby brown body with a quickly receeding head that is well-carb'd. A thick smell of caramel and other sugary goodness, along with yeast and some dark fruits. Also a hint of spice and fruits like orange and grape; slightly medicinal though. A heavy, full-bodied slightly smooth/creamy brew where the ABV pokes out a little. There is a little bit of yeasty fluffiness for a slight bready mouthfeel, along with carmelized malt and some sweetness. Finishes with a quasi-sour hop bitterness backbite that is mostly smooth and clean. Contains some orange and grape taste. A somewhat complex brew that isn't bad, but is just a little off to be a really good quad.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

My first bottle of Reverend, served up from a 22oz bottle.

Very fine head that dissipated almost a quickly as I could pour the beer with no lacing left behind. Very pronounced aroma and taste of caramel and vanilla. Very lightly carbonated giving the beer an almost velvety texture. I can't fairly say how this compares to the style but I found it very pleasant to the palate and the nose and very drinkable. Just enough astringency from the alcohol to keep the sweet malt from coating my tongue.

Looking forward to another bottle.

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours from a red foil wrapped brown bottle bomber into a chalice. It has a beautiful redish brown color with great clarity. The head is thick and long-lasting with lacing down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is sweet with nice fruit esters and some spicy yeast character.

The flavor is intense and complex. It has lots of dark fruits like cherries and plum. It also displays complex spice notes. Lots of caramel and toffee sweetness that helps balance out the generous hop bitterness.

Full bodied and good level of carbonation for the style. Very strong and the alcohol is pretty well-hidden but certainly not lacking.

Overall, this beer is really well done. It has all the characteristics I would expect in a Belgian quad but it may be lacking in the subtle qualities that define the genuine originals.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The Reverend is a brilliant red toned copper color and has a creamy eggshell head that sticks around the whole glass. Lacing isn't all that remarkable, but such a persistent head deserves notice.

S: Aromas are very very mild. A little malt sweetness and a little yeast, but not much else to excite the nose.

T: Taste is dominated by big Caramel flavor. Its like drinking a dulce de leche cake. Nice sweetness is accented by some mild yeasty flavor and a small hint of bitterness on the back end. A little buttery and a note of fruity flavor, but the dominant flavor is a caramel candy sweetness.

M: Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy but I still get some persistent prickly carbonation.

D: Its a little on the heavy side-- pretty high ABV. Nevertheless, flavor is nice enough that I polished off the bomber pretty easily.

Final thoughts: This beer is a little different from other Belgian beers I've had. Its got a much more one-dimensional flavor, less complexity than what you normally expect with Belgians. Still a very good beer. I like beers that pull off nice caramel sweetness and "The Reverend" certainly does. Forgive any spelling and grammar errors in this review, this beer hides its 10% AVB pretty well and I drank all 22oz in about 12 minutes!

3.16/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a pleasant brick red colour with a limited head. I'm really struggling with the nose: yeast and bubble gum with alcohol fumes, but somehow not repulsive. The taste reflects the nose, but with a slight woodiness and maybe a hint of vanilla or even aniseed. I don't dislike this: I find it surprisingly one dimensional yet remarkably difficult to describe! Shockingly easy to gradually drain a large bottle of such a strong beer.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Deep amber color with a decent head that resolves in about one minute, leaving no lacing.

The smell is a funky yeast and tropical fruit. The malt shows up as caramel sweetness and sourdough bread.

The taste has a very sweet malt nose that dominates the other present flavors of yeast. There's a bit of clove in there, too. It's very boozy with a touch of vanilla, almost giving it a bourbon like quality.

The mouthfeel is very warm and acidic, compounded with a syrupy sweet texture. It has an unusual bitter finish that doesn't leave very much of an aftertaste.

I do like the tast of this beer, but it is definitely a sipper and takes some time to drink. Like I said, it's very boozey and when that's combined with the sweet texture it's very punishing in the chest and stomach.

Admittedly, this is my first quadrupel and this one tasted good enough to peak my interest, but I imagine that there are ones out there that are a lot more balanced and smooth. I'd like to try more of this style to compare.

The Reverend from Avery Brewing Company