The Reverend | Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.

Added by kbub6f on 03-21-2002

Ratings: 1,918 |  Reviews: 854
3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Had on tap at The Comet the other night. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a fairly deep brown with qutie a bit of ruby shining through; comes with a one finger off-white head that disappears with the exception of the ring at the surface; leaves a pretty full lacing on the sides and there is no visible carbonation.

Smell: Burnt roasty malts; a bitter hop profile; a very mild dark fruitness and something a little "off" - kind of like a slight hint of vinegar.

Taste: Mostly bitter and grassy hops; the sweet dark fruits and some dark malts hiding out in there as well; alcohol is definitely present.

Mouthfeel: A little tingly, but only from the alcohol as there is no carbonation. A fairly thick body leaves a bit of a stickiness and coating on the mouth, but really kind of a boring drink here.

Drinkability: It's not bad, but I will not likely be looking for this one again. The "off" scent in smell is a bit of a turn off and the flavor just doesn't match up with others in the style.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a chalice. Pours a dark amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is ripe alcohol soaked dark fruits, dark candi sugar and Belgian yeast.

T- The taste like the aroma features a lot of dark alcohol soaked fruit flavors, a lot of sweet malt and dark candied sugar and a big heavy alcohol finish. The sweetness and high ABV would make this a good after dinner sipper.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- The alcohol is definitely there in the this one, so it is definitely a sipper. It isn't the best Quad that I've tried, but definitely not the worst. The

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bomber poured into Ommegang chalice.

This is a light translucent ruby red color without much in terms of head. It doesn't look much like many of the Quads I've had in the past, which I remember being much darker. Smell is light and fruity: apple juice, peach juice and sugars. Not much in terms of spiciness.

Alcohol is at the forefront of the flavor and it is hard to describe much behind it. Maybe there is some mild fruitiness and sweetness (apple, pear, cherry?) but it is pretty burning and intense. Not really any spiciness.

I'm a little disappointed, as this doesn't really compare well at all to the better Quads I've had.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Like almost all of my brews, enjoyed with capra12 and Jimmy out of a snifter.

A: Deep mahogany in color, ever so slightly with a reddish tinge. Poured a tight, thick, ivory head which dissipated in a few minutes. Left decent, though blotchy lacing.

S: Some assertive scent... some sweet smelling wood seemed to dominate the opening followed by figs and subtely thereafter by prunes. Over time and aeration, roasted malts and woodchips begin to make their presence known.

T: It opens strongly alcoholic which carries through throughout the entire length of the beer. Underlying tones include vanilla extract, brown sugar, syrup, molasses... seemingly typical of Avery compared to Beast, Samael, & Meph. The experience rushes you through the middle and end with an abrupt finish. Aftertaste is of drawn out, lingering alcohol. Again, although the ABV is only about 10%, all of that 10% is pretty much in your face.

M: Medium body with low carbonation. Seemed to leave a barely noticeable film coating the mouth.

D: Somewhat drinkable, I would enjoy a big bottle to myself.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

THe Reverend emerges from the bottle a deep malted amber color. Poured into my snifter, looks very brandylike in apperance. Light head settles down quickly, leaving a nice malt toned glass of brew.
Smell immediatley reminds me of a German Dunkle Lager, with a heavier hand. Malty caramelized orange, clove, banana, red grapes,oaks, dark molasses vanilla, a light smokiness the reminds me of cedar in its mustiness. A nice yeasty background provides an overall nice creamy musty fruitiness that is a good foil to the upfront malt presence. I am glad tha Avery has not taked an "American" approach to this and hopped it all to hell.
Flavor is much sweeter than expected. Molasses upfront, honeyed grapes, toffee, caramel, sweet candied citrus fruits, sugary raisins, a dark breadlike chewiness enhances that malty/raisiny palate.
The finish is long and warming. The mouthfeel is not extrodinarily thick, but it does stick around for a while. A Barlywine like version of a Quad in my opinion.
I think that this would go nicely with roasted meat, given its sweet toasted malt character, it would overwhlem any seafood preparation, maybe a glazed tuna would work. A nice hunk of Stilton or Aged Cheddar, with a slice of dark bread would also work nicely. Maybe even a toffee preparation. overall good, but not quite as complex as coprable Belgian versions.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%

Deep copper, high clarity. Head is moderate but doesn't last -- some lacing.

Lots of dark fruit -- plum and raisin, mostly -- and sweet belgian yeast. Fair bit of banana as well. Fairly pronounced alcohol. Some caramel/toffee malt notes.

Caramel and raisin on the palate, and something weird ... I can't nail it down, but when I'm done with this I'll thumb through the other reviews and see if anyone else has hit on it. Alcohol is more well masked on the palate than in the nose.Some citrusy hops as well.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, low carbonation.

It's reasonably drinkable. Could use a little more body and a little more carbonation.

Overall a pretty good beer, but not the first quad I'd reach for, though I do like the slightly hoppy twist.

3.66/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a capped 750 with that red avery foil on it.

Appearance: Hazy dark orange. Lighter in color than I expected.

Smell: Great heavy sweet fresh baked bread and peaches or apricots with a little spice.

Taste: Whoa, pure alcohol up front, then mostly dark sweet sugar and less fruit and bread than I smelled. Becomes, very sweet, too sweet.

Mouthfeel: I like. I little syrupy and thick, but not uncarbonated. That strong booziness cleanses the palate.

Drinkability: Overall, I'd be lying if I said I didnt really enjoy it. Its too sweet for me though, and I really like a sweet belgian. Theres just not enough other interesting flavor to balance the sweet for me. Good, but not the same ballpark as the classic quads like St Bernardus or Rochefort, not even the same sport.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a snifter for a clear ruby brown body with a quickly receeding head that is well-carb'd. A thick smell of caramel and other sugary goodness, along with yeast and some dark fruits. Also a hint of spice and fruits like orange and grape; slightly medicinal though. A heavy, full-bodied slightly smooth/creamy brew where the ABV pokes out a little. There is a little bit of yeasty fluffiness for a slight bready mouthfeel, along with carmelized malt and some sweetness. Finishes with a quasi-sour hop bitterness backbite that is mostly smooth and clean. Contains some orange and grape taste. A somewhat complex brew that isn't bad, but is just a little off to be a really good quad.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

My first bottle of Reverend, served up from a 22oz bottle.

Very fine head that dissipated almost a quickly as I could pour the beer with no lacing left behind. Very pronounced aroma and taste of caramel and vanilla. Very lightly carbonated giving the beer an almost velvety texture. I can't fairly say how this compares to the style but I found it very pleasant to the palate and the nose and very drinkable. Just enough astringency from the alcohol to keep the sweet malt from coating my tongue.

Looking forward to another bottle.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours from a red foil wrapped brown bottle bomber into a chalice. It has a beautiful redish brown color with great clarity. The head is thick and long-lasting with lacing down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is sweet with nice fruit esters and some spicy yeast character.

The flavor is intense and complex. It has lots of dark fruits like cherries and plum. It also displays complex spice notes. Lots of caramel and toffee sweetness that helps balance out the generous hop bitterness.

Full bodied and good level of carbonation for the style. Very strong and the alcohol is pretty well-hidden but certainly not lacking.

Overall, this beer is really well done. It has all the characteristics I would expect in a Belgian quad but it may be lacking in the subtle qualities that define the genuine originals.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The Reverend is a brilliant red toned copper color and has a creamy eggshell head that sticks around the whole glass. Lacing isn't all that remarkable, but such a persistent head deserves notice.

S: Aromas are very very mild. A little malt sweetness and a little yeast, but not much else to excite the nose.

T: Taste is dominated by big Caramel flavor. Its like drinking a dulce de leche cake. Nice sweetness is accented by some mild yeasty flavor and a small hint of bitterness on the back end. A little buttery and a note of fruity flavor, but the dominant flavor is a caramel candy sweetness.

M: Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy but I still get some persistent prickly carbonation.

D: Its a little on the heavy side-- pretty high ABV. Nevertheless, flavor is nice enough that I polished off the bomber pretty easily.

Final thoughts: This beer is a little different from other Belgian beers I've had. Its got a much more one-dimensional flavor, less complexity than what you normally expect with Belgians. Still a very good beer. I like beers that pull off nice caramel sweetness and "The Reverend" certainly does. Forgive any spelling and grammar errors in this review, this beer hides its 10% AVB pretty well and I drank all 22oz in about 12 minutes!

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a pleasant brick red colour with a limited head. I'm really struggling with the nose: yeast and bubble gum with alcohol fumes, but somehow not repulsive. The taste reflects the nose, but with a slight woodiness and maybe a hint of vanilla or even aniseed. I don't dislike this: I find it surprisingly one dimensional yet remarkably difficult to describe! Shockingly easy to gradually drain a large bottle of such a strong beer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Deep amber color with a decent head that resolves in about one minute, leaving no lacing.

The smell is a funky yeast and tropical fruit. The malt shows up as caramel sweetness and sourdough bread.

The taste has a very sweet malt nose that dominates the other present flavors of yeast. There's a bit of clove in there, too. It's very boozy with a touch of vanilla, almost giving it a bourbon like quality.

The mouthfeel is very warm and acidic, compounded with a syrupy sweet texture. It has an unusual bitter finish that doesn't leave very much of an aftertaste.

I do like the tast of this beer, but it is definitely a sipper and takes some time to drink. Like I said, it's very boozey and when that's combined with the sweet texture it's very punishing in the chest and stomach.

Admittedly, this is my first quadrupel and this one tasted good enough to peak my interest, but I imagine that there are ones out there that are a lot more balanced and smooth. I'd like to try more of this style to compare.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

A- Nice amber/ light copper with a definite haze. Impressive tan head that sticks.

S- Caramel, raisin and toffee, and some warm bread smell.

T- Nice and light but has enough complexity to remain interesting. Same flavors as in the smell along with light bitterness from the hops, warming from alcohol, and tartness from yeast.

M- Nice and light with foamy carbonation

D- Clean, light character keeps this one flowing until you hit the floor.

4.18/5  rDev +8%

S- Caramel, crisp hops, funky belgian wheat, and some warm bread smell.

T- Nice and light but has enough complexity to remain interesting. Same flavors as in the smell along with some bitterness from the hops, warming from alcohol, and tartness from yeast.

M- Nice and light with foamy carbonation

D- Clean, light character keeps this one flowing.

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Beer poured into my Rochefort chalice forms a 2 cm head that dies quickly. Minimal lacing but a nice burnt orange color. Nose is malts, a little citrus, and some floral, almost purfume like hop notes. Pretty complex and appealing nose here. Creamy mouthfeel is immediately noticeable along with a straightforward malt presence. Finish is a bit bitter with a prolonged warming alcohol sensation. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit but there are some that are a notch above.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Pours a dirty amber color with a very thin off white head. Appears to be a good amount of sediment suspended in it.

Smell: Very fruity with the most dominant being apricot. Lots of yeast and spices also detectable.

Taste: Very sweet at first then tart and acidic. Apricot and oranges with other candied fruit. Slight alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: This was thick and creamy in the mouth with a very full body and a dry finish.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

poured a little flat for me. about and eighth inch of head that lessened to a film. a bit hazy. a little bit of a cider taste to it that was nice. definately a full body to it. good lacing down the glass.

i am not sure i would put in the class of the genuine belgian quads but it is a very good beer.

suckem up and movem out.

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

I had the faith. I was brave. I tried my first Quad. It was the Rev. Can I get a witness from the congregation?!

I was a little chancy at first because, once, I was feeling adventurous and sampled a now-retired potable called Sam Adams Triple Bock. Not exactly my cup of tea (um... beer, but you knew that), and the memory of the unpleasantness was a concern for me because I made the mistake of making associations based upon the words "Triple" and "Quadruple," etc. My fault for making assumptions. Bad Advocate!

But I am nothing if I fail to broaden my horizons, and so I sampled Avery's The Reverend Quadruple Ale, and, to quote Neil Diamond, "Now I am a believer..."

OK. That's the last spiritual reference that I'll work into this review. (I would, however, like very much to explore the interplay between spirituality and beer, but I will have to save that examination for another time.)

Right now, let us get down to the brass tacks of this review: I was more than pleasantly surprised by my discovery. You should try one.

Look: Appealing ale appearance complete with slightly opaque, sanguinous coloration and above-average head and lace retention.

Nose: Light hops and malt aroma. A subtle invitation to lure in the curious without overpowering the olfactory. "Hmmm! What's this?"

Taste: Delicious mix of hops and malt sweetness, low bitterness and absent residual taste.

Mouth: A thin but creamy feel.

Drink: Easily consumed (oh boy, is it easily consumed!), but with the caveat that it carries with it an ABV of 10.0, and so it is strictly for the non-driving tasters. And so, collect everybody's car keys and throw them in the aquarium or bury them in the cat box (ooh, don't really do that), and invite a bunch of friends over for a tasting party of this truly remarkable quadruple.

With Respect for Beer,

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Enjoyed in a snifter.

A: Beautiful amber color with a finger of off-white head that decreases in size to a layer, and then fades off into a ring around the glass.
S: Pungent ripe citrus. Apple cider and vanilla bean as well. There's discernible yeast on the nose. The alcohol hides well for the most part.
T: Very sweet beginning of apples and pears. Ends in alcoholic bite and hoppy bitterness. Sugar sweetness and metallic grains.
M: Medium bodied with balanced carbonation. In fact, this beer is almost crisp and refreshing.
D: A definite sipper. I look forward to enjoying more from Avery.

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

A - Clear amber in color, scant head if you could call that swirl of foam on top such. Clings to the glass nicely though.

S - Yeasty and a little funky sour with the odor of alcohol very noticeable. Mild, but discernable, are notes of fruits and spice like cinnamon or allspice or something of the like.

T - Funky, earthy, bready and alcohol are the first things that pop into my mind. Sweet with malt and somewhat fruity with a nice clove flavor.

M - Smooth and silky, but with a bite that lingers.

D - Certainly a sipper. Without much experience with the Quad style, I am not sure how well it stacks up to its peers, but I think it is a good introduction and it certainly has me thinking about exploring further.

3.12/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Poured into my Westmalle goblet. Pours a clear, amber color, with a 1/4" off-white colored head that instantaneously recedes to a bubbly ring around the glass.

S: Predominate sweet malt and spice aromas, with some alcohol intermingled.

T: Alcohol hits you pretty much right off the bat, followed by a residual sweetness and mild fruity character. A slight pungent, earthy, almost funky flavor left on the palate.

M: Quite a bit of carbonation, maybe more than I would prefer with this style. Quite a viscous beer, left a lot of sugary stickyness on my lips.

D: I'm not too sure about this beer. On one hand it isn't all that bad, but I'm not reminded of a quad when I drink it. Too clear, too carbonated and too cloying, not to mention the strange "funkiness" in the background. I will probably pass this up the next time I see it.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from bottle into snifter

A- Very little head appeared when poured. Auburn/bronze color.

S- Mild spice, slight clove smell. Fruity maybe even stawberry smell. Smell the phenols.

T- malty, fruity, taste the alcohol the more you drink. Definitely not the complex taste of other quads.

M- smooth for a quadruple

D- definitely a drinkable beer despite the 10%

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked this up, my first Quadruple ale, and definitely ready to try it out. It has a deep amber color when poured into a clear mug, and the head and lacing is semi-thick and definitely quality. Criss-crossing lines run down the side of the glass as the head dissipates. The smell is very pungent and strong, with a citrus afterglow.

A very solid taste packed with lemon and nuts. The alcohol is definitely present but takes a back seat to the charismatic flavor. A piney resolve finishes once the brew is swallowed.

There is a definite sting to this one, and even though the mouthfeel is creamy, it is constantly biting at you. It's a very strange sensation that I haven't had from many other beers. I wonder if it has to do with being a Quad or if that's irrelevant. Either way, real solid mouthfeel, and the drinkability is high too.

This stuff was strong, delicious, and I will definitely be going back to pick out more quadruple's to try!

3.83/5  rDev -1%

22oz Bomber from Liquor Locker Fayetteville, TN
into a glass

Poured a nice amber color with a tall light head.

Sweet malty smell along with fruits and a hint of the achohol.

The malty sweetness hit strong, add in the hint of fruits and it covers the high alchohol nicely.

Thick but smooth feel that doesn't want to leave your mouth.

The the thickness makes it a little difficult to drink but it doens't really hit you until the last fourth of the glass.

A very good beer. This was my first Quad, and it only enticed me to try some others.

The Reverend from Avery Brewing Company