The Reverend | Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.

Added by kbub6f on 03-21-2002

Ratings: 1,885 |  Reviews: 836

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic quad. Drinking a 2011 vintage...

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hazy, dark brown color. Half finger head that sticks around. Hops, lots of malt, and alcohol on the nose. Amazing smooth, malty taste. Malt and alcohol overpowers the bitterness, but not in a way that it is unbalanced. I'm a huge IPA fan, but this is one of the best beers I have ever had. Aftertaste leaves a strong alcohol burn for a beer. Hops can really only be tasted when burping. Excellent beer, would definitely recommend to anyone.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Dark brown-copeer color, head is large at first, but the high ABV quickly surpresses it to a thin white layer. Musty belgian yeast, raisins, plums, big alcohol and sweet brown sugar malt. Taste is full and sweet, the belgian yeast adds a nice musty funk, lots of fruitiness, tart and bitter on the finish. Where is the 10% abv? It is very well hidden, although you do get a nice warming sensation from it. An excellent beer, perfect for this September-seeming night in Minnesota.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

had this on tap at the moan and dove, twice in a row. yes, i am suicidal.. actually he brought us two by accident and my girlfriend had asked for racer 5. oh well, i guess i'll have to drink it.

pours lighter than from the bottle, showing the lightest orange color in its highlights. impressive and makes me think it can be consumed in larger quantities for some reason.

sweet malty quad smell, an overpour made the glass all sticky. a good sign in my book.

very trappisty, much more so than the amped up version i've had in the bottle (which is still good.) malt and caramel are fighting for dominance here. brown sugar and orange are saying hello from the stands. i enjoyed both of these glasses with fervor. wasn't until an hour or so later that i forgot where i was and bought frozen bananas from trader joe's.

we have a winner.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Aroma is strong, very malty, with a rich fruity overtone and hints of caramel and toffee. Color is a beautiful clear reddish copper, and head is fairly thick and fine-bubbled. Flavor is sublime - malty, fruity, nutty, strong hop hints, touches of caramel and sweetness, even a teeny bit of smoke. Texture is smooth, and aftertaste includes a hint of brandy and a soupcon of sweetness. Definitely a beer to be revered. ;)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a beautiful crafted beer. The color when poured was a pleasant dark amber brown with a very little brown foam and no lace. The smell was very fruity and spicy withy a mild hop aroma. The taste had a nice balance of holp's and malted barley. Also, the sweet and creamy fruitiness was was just fantastic. The warmer this ale got, the more intense and complex the flavor got. This goes as on of my top 10 ales. To bad it not for sale in California. I found this treasure in Colorado while traveling cross country. Sould have bought more than half a case! Can't wait for Avery to expand there sales area to California.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the finest from Avery Brewing Company, The Reverend, a kind and forgiving chap, is a terrific Belgian Quadrupel, full of spice and vim. At 10% ABV, look out, it packs a wallop that you can certainly feel in the second half of the bottle. The Reverend pours a rich head atop a brownish-red body, well presented. The smell and taste exude spice all the way, yet with a sweet taste that enmeshes very well with the spices. Hints of cherry and molasses, with a slightly roasted flavor, are present. Impressive all the way, and one of the best domestic Belgian-style brews in the US. Not to be passed up, and very high on my list.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a cloudy light honey brown with a full two finger thick bubbly beige head. The head leaves super sticky lacing along the edge of the glass and carbonation bubbles rise steadily within.

S: Light toasted malts, pungent hops, pepper and honey. Warming musky alcohol with fruit and biscuit scents.

T: Fruit, pepper and biscuit malt up front. Then quickly dries out with a sharp hop bite and finally subdued by a deep musky alcohol and sweet malt finish. Light honey and candy sugar sweetness aftertastes.

M: Great carbonation, sweet front, dry bite then deep malt finish. Makes your mouth water.

D:For a strong Quad this goes down insanely easy. Warms the belly nicely and the flavors are so varied its hard to put down cause you need to keep sipping in order to decipher them. Awesome beer.

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

4.67/5  rDev +21.6%

A - poured transparent coppery mahogany red with a 1/2" head that diminished quickly to a ring. Little lacing. So far it's looking ok...

S - Hmm, quite interesting. Slightly sour with citrus notes, coriander, dates, and dark grapes. A large wafting of sweet malts as well. Somewhat wine-like. Alcohol is apparent.

T - Wow! Malty sweet with some hints of toffee and a lot of caramel. Bittersweet aftertaste, with a very small touch of hops balancing the powerful sweetness and alcohol. Figs and dates are highly detected. Did I mention the alcohol?

M - Full bodied and medium carbonation. A little bit chewy

D - For such high alcohol, it is very drinkable. I'd rather sip it.

Overall - Split a 22 oz bomber with my gf. This is a good twist on a Belgian Style Quad. Very tasty, very potent. Almost reminds me of an English Barleywine. It isn't what I would buy if I wanted a real Belgian Style Quad but I would definitely buy this again just because it was tasty and drinkable.

4.64/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into my Konigshoeven chalice, since I assume it's meant to be similar to the their quad. The Reverend is bronze with slight chill haze, and a small eggshell head that quickly fades to a small, big bubbled collar, leaving slight lace. Lighter then most, but something about the auburn glow appeals to me. Unfortunately, there's basically no head. I love head.

The aroma is pretty subdued, honey like candi sugar, spicy belgian yeast and alcohol. I was expecting more of the grape aroma that you find in stronger, sweeter BSDAs, but there was no dark fruit to be found here. Nevertheless, it's nice and appealing.

From the first sip, I knew I really loved this quad. I'm about finished with the bomber, much faster then I expected mind you, and still really loving it. Blown away in fact. Sweet like honey, nicely balanced by the spicy trappist yeast, and remarkably smooth, with only a whisper of alcohol. So much better then the aforementioned trappist, IMHO.

While the taste is fantastic, the mouthfeel is the real star here. Luscious, creamy, and light, for a quad. I'm not sure how they can make it so sweet yet not cloying or thick, the total antithesis of barelywine in all but ABV.

This is one dangerously drinkable quad, look out! It taste fantastic, is highly digestible, is readily available, and fairly cheap. My new cigar beer.

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

The Reverend is my new best friend. This high octane beer will hit you by surprise. Very smooth for the high alcohol content 10% ABV. Seeing the Rev only come in 22 oz. bottles you have to be careful. With hints of fruit and sweetness, the brewers at Avery sure have put together a good beer here. Maybe its all the Belgium candy sugar they use.

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

I had the faith. I was brave. I tried my first Quad. It was the Rev. Can I get a witness from the congregation?!

I was a little chancy at first because, once, I was feeling adventurous and sampled a now-retired potable called Sam Adams Triple Bock. Not exactly my cup of tea (um... beer, but you knew that), and the memory of the unpleasantness was a concern for me because I made the mistake of making associations based upon the words "Triple" and "Quadruple," etc. My fault for making assumptions. Bad Advocate!

But I am nothing if I fail to broaden my horizons, and so I sampled Avery's The Reverend Quadruple Ale, and, to quote Neil Diamond, "Now I am a believer..."

OK. That's the last spiritual reference that I'll work into this review. (I would, however, like very much to explore the interplay between spirituality and beer, but I will have to save that examination for another time.)

Right now, let us get down to the brass tacks of this review: I was more than pleasantly surprised by my discovery. You should try one.

Look: Appealing ale appearance complete with slightly opaque, sanguinous coloration and above-average head and lace retention.

Nose: Light hops and malt aroma. A subtle invitation to lure in the curious without overpowering the olfactory. "Hmmm! What's this?"

Taste: Delicious mix of hops and malt sweetness, low bitterness and absent residual taste.

Mouth: A thin but creamy feel.

Drink: Easily consumed (oh boy, is it easily consumed!), but with the caveat that it carries with it an ABV of 10.0, and so it is strictly for the non-driving tasters. And so, collect everybody's car keys and throw them in the aquarium or bury them in the cat box (ooh, don't really do that), and invite a bunch of friends over for a tasting party of this truly remarkable quadruple.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a snifter at cellar temperature.

An off-white, one-finger head of froth fizzles away to a ring encircling some lingering splotches above a beautiful deep blood-ruby body. Oh, and there's some lacing left behind, too. Quite pleasing to behold.

The aroma has a big dose of dark fruits, like raisins, cherries, and dates. Festive spices like ginger, nutmeg, and cloves also abound. Smells very Belgian.

It tastes sweet, spicy, and bready. Much like fruitcake. First it's like tart dark fruit, then sweeter like cherries, and ultimately drying into that wonderful Belgian breadiness in the finish. Regarding the spiciness, I think I taste cinnamon specifically! VERY nice. This is how an awesome quad should taste, I think.

The feel is effervescent, but still sufficiently substantial to support the rich flavors.

I'm very impressed with this beer. But also vexed and perplexed. This is a STELLAR American-brewed, Belgian-style ale. And yet it seems to be so over-looked... Could it be because it isn't from Belgium? Or because it's so commonly available? In any case, I now revere The Reverend. And I'm not even religious.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

A rich, orange/amber colored liquid topped with a small, off-white head. No lace left.
Smell is malt, oak, smoke, peat, raisins, cherry, green apple, wheat. Insanely well balanced in nose and taste.
Taste: see above and add whiskey note.
Smooth, rich, full-bodied, warming at end of swallow. Light effervescence. Almost a sipping beer, extraordinarily good beer, a must drink.

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours with a quick white head that falls upon brilliant brass-colored liquid. Nose is sweet malt and even sweeter Belgian candi sugar. Taste is exquisite sweet candi sugar, upstaged by a hop upsurge...very nice! Finish is slightly dry with more of the candi sugar note returning along with alcohol. Great U.S. Belgian interpretation.

The Reverend from Avery Brewing Company