Maharaja | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

4.2

Ratings: 5,601 |  Reviews: 1,856

2.51/5  rDev -40.2%

First off, I wanted a traditional IPA, and maybe its too much for me. I bought a 22ounce bomber, and poured it into a pint glass.

Appearance: amber almost orange/gold in color. I poured it nicely, yet a 1 inch head still appeared, and took awhile to dissapear.

Smell: FRUITY! Grapefuit, orange, not a scent of malt in my opinion.

Taste: BITTER!!! Hops very heavy, no malt after taste. Hops, Hops, and more hops, way too strong.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slight carbonation, Oily-hops character, slightly acidic.

Drinkability: Terrible, can only drink one, if that, too much alcohol, too much hops, too bitter. Not a fan, wouldn't buy it again. If you want high alcohol, and strong hops, try it, you may like it.

2.53/5  rDev -39.8%

Stopped by Brawley's looking for another SN Harvest and got this as a suggestion for something "similar"...not similar at all.

A: Pours beautifully, great 1+" head and lacing during the drink. Color is clear and great.

S: Grapefruit hoppy smell is strong but good, looking forward to the drink.

T: First taste hit like a grapefruit and quickly becomes oily and very alcohol taste...not good once my tastebuds recovered a little. This is very sweet and taste to me like a mix between a IPA and a bourbon (as far as strong alcohol taste)...and I think that's why I didn't like it. And when I burped it was all alcohol.

M: This and oily and heavy....

D: Since I poured from a 22oz bottle I have another glass left...not sure I can do it....

EDIT: Actually I couldn't finish the second glass, not a good balanced beer at all.

2.6/5  rDev -38.1%

I had to try this beer when the local had it on tap but I have to say i was even more disappointed than when I had the bottle. The brewery has great beers and is very creative but this one is very unbalanced on the alcohol side. I can't taste the malt or hops over it.

The color, which is a deep gold, and the aroma are both very good. If you like alcoholy beers, try this one.

2.61/5  rDev -37.9%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A beautiful beer. A very dark orange and amber. Thin white head, great lacing. Nearly perfect.

An obviously hoppy aroma but lacks the citrus or pine nuances that I truly love. I smell quite a bit of melon though which is unexpected and nice. Some alcohol.

Disappointing taste. Loads of bitterness and a huge amount of sweet malt presence but this beer seems completely out of balance and hot with alcohol. A bit syrupy. A little citrus and some melon, but only in the background. Not for me.

A rich mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation, but overly hot.

This beer really disappointed me. I was hoping for a world class DIPA but this one seems closer to a mess than it does anything spectacular. Hot with alcohol, a ton of hop bitterness, and little of anything else very pleasant. Wanted to enjoy it, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

2.68/5  rDev -36.2%

I'm really sorry guys, i know i should think this is a god beer but i don't. it was highly recommended by my bartender. It tatsed like pine sap to me. Other than that it was a pretty good beer, but it was to hard to get past this taste for me. I've had other, more balanced tasting IPAs that didn't hit me over the head with pine taste. i prefer more citrus than pine.

2.69/5  rDev -36%

22 oz bottle. Pours a golden amber with a creamy white head that goes to a thin film that leaves a lot of lacing.

The aroma is much more reserved that I was expecting. At first, all I get is earthy metallic hops. Then some sweet melon and tangerines come out to dominate. I also pick up some medicinal alcohol astringency.

The flavor is sweet melon followed by some harsh alcohol (that becomes less noticeable as time goes on) and a bitter almost metallic hop finish with a lingering bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium-full and creamy.

Overall, another Avery "big beer" disappointment for me - they sound soooo good, but don't live up to expectations for me. I've had much better IIPAs. I don't like the sweet melon in an IIPA, the alcohol is a bit much, and I don't care for the hop flavor and finish. Great Divide's Hercules is MUCH more up my alley. To be fair, as I finish the 22, it becomes less un-appealing.

2.72/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not bad, quite a bite to it with maybe some heavy grapefruit bitterness. Not my favorite DIPA.

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Fort Collins Brewing pilsner glass. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a 3.5 finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and pretty good retention for the ABV. A semitransparent copper colour. Filled with floating yeast.

Sm: Hops. Fresh and inviting. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Very hoppy, but with too much overdone bitterness. Some artificial cream is present. Too bitter, and quite boring. The bitterness overshadows all the other flavour. The finish is far too bitter. The first act is okay.

Mf: Too coarse, and wet. A generic approach to the style.

Dr: Drinkable but imbalanced and boring. I might try it on draught, but otherwise I wouldn't have it again.

2.77/5  rDev -34%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Didn't seem to care much for this out of the bottle so let's see if on tap makes a difference.

Looks great for starters, a real nice orange bodied slightly cloudy with a creamy off white head and some lacing. Gorgeous body color.

Smell. I am not getting it but a big butter thick sensation... not of diacetyl either. I am looking for hop presenece here and I am not finding it this is really odd, I smell next to nothing everything seems very muted.

Hop ambush on taste with a big grassy chew somewhat but a lingering grain and melted butter slick and thick spiced hop finish. Oily once again as I remember it. Barely a hint of citrus perhaps some orange zest but not able to get passed a lingering just basic bitterness that wont go away. If I want bitter give me some flavor with it for starters.

Overall I find this thick, syrupy and it's even a bit boozy uneccesarily, and I can't get rid of this aftertaste which is just an unpleasant bitterness, and not even a pleasant hop bitter. I feel like I drank a stick of butter also which really isn't fun. Still can't get into this brew and I am never having this again, this isn't for me.

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I am truly disappointed in this brew. It poured from the bottle nicely with a pale orange color and white foamy head that stuck around.

Sour-mash, grapefruit, balsam tree smells.
Tastes of orange initially, fading into an radically bitter pine-tree, almost of unripened juniper berries. Mouthfeel is dry, makes my taste buds desire water over more of this beer, the beer's greatest downfall in my opinion. I struggle to drink it because of the lingering balsam-juniper taste which I feel is uncomplimentary to the initial fruity flavor.

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a coppery orange with a white head. A floral and piney aroma sitting on top of a hefty malt base. Flavor follows suits. A fuller, kinda syrupy mouthfeel to this. Overall, can't say I was a fan of this one at all. I prefer my IIPA's to be fruity, this one seemed to be lacking in that completely.

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

A: Pours a clear, coppery orange with a finger of off-white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Some caramel malt at first followed by lots of sweet orange and pineapple aromas. Nice--smells like a tropical citrus blast.

T: Sticky sweet caramel malts at first followed by a strong resiny pine kick with a lot of bitterness. There are some slight grapefruit flavors in there as well. The finish has a strong alcohol burn to accompany the lingering bitterness.

M: Medium body with low carbonation, this beer is a bit thick and sticky for the style.

O: Unfortunately, the flavors cannot live up to the nice aromas of this beer. The nose promises a tropical citrus fruit blast and the flavor delivers a hot, thick, bitter mess. This beer is ~2 months old at this point, but it just showed up in my area and I'm of the opinion that the best DIPAs are still great even with a few months on them.

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

Grabbed a few bottles of this at my local spot.

Pours a clear amber with a very nice frothy white head and lacing.

Aroma isn't as strong as other DIPA's I've had but good. Very citrucy. Kinda pineapple and citric.

Taste is good. But it has a weird grainy flavor. Don't know what it is. The bitterness left on your tongue is weird as well. But it's citrucy and juicy.

Mouthfeel is weird because of the above flavors. Leaves a resonus feeling on your mouth.

Overall an ok DIPA. Better than alot but not in my top IPA's

Edit:

I'm havin a hard time finishing this. It really has a weird bitterness and taste. It's not infected. Just must be this years batch. Not very good. I think I'll be pouring the rest.

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%

Bottle was ket in fridge. Batch 13, March 2011.
Poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a sunset orange, hazy, creamy yellowish head that lingers
for a while.

S- hoppy. Strong malts.

T- Sweet, dark caramel. Hops, lots of bitterness from the hops.

M- Good carbonation. Can taste the alcohol.

O- Not the best DIPA that i've tried. Don't get me wrong, it's
drinkable, just not my favorite.

2.87/5  rDev -31.7%

1 pt, 6 fl oz bottle served in a nonic pint glass, reviewed from notes:

A - Pours a semi-transparent amber/copper color with a 1.5 finger head of decent creaminess. Retention is OK at best.

S - Strong grapefruit notes, musty citric hops, sweet caramel. The hops are fresh, but a bit generic.

T - Musty, grassy hops and strong citric notes are countered (but not balanced) by some sweet caramel malt. The citric hops are overbearing and far from balanced, but I still find it a bit refreshing.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation. I think it's a bit to smooth, however.

D - It's not bad, but it's not good. Just an average offering in my book. I appreciate the freshness of the hops, but it's entirely unbalanced.

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company