Maharaja | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

#847

Ratings: 5,654 |  Reviews: 1,871

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

1 pint, 6 fluid ounce brown bomber "bottled in Feb 2006 batch 3."

Very clear dark orange with half-inch of creamy white head, thin sticky lacing. Strong sweet grapefruit hops and grain on the nose; not much else gets through. Lots of grapefruit-tasting hops intertwined with chewy sweet biscuit malts; very strong dry and bitter hop finish. Thick oily body with lazy carbonation.

I found this one exceedingly boring and difficult to finish. A typical over-the-top over-hopped American IPA IMHO.

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

My 1st impression of this beer was Ok and over rated. I drank it right when it came out, maybe beer like wine suffers from bottle shock? My friends over the coming weeks were really impressed with the beer buying large quantities of the Bombers around town. Judgement reserved with higher hopes for the other bottle I bought.

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

Small head, but thick lacing, nice orange/amber color. HOP BOMB in the nose, too overpowering/stale. Same in the taste, grassy, raw hops just too powerful. Sweetness cloys and acts funny in trying to balance the hops. Not my favorite but is OK when it warms.

3.11/5  rDev -26.5%

on cask at deep ellum, in allston, MA. tasted in mid-late march, 2009. served in "fluted teardrop" stemware

amber, with slight haze. bubbly foam, fades to wispy suds. splotchy lace.

aroma and taste are hoppy, but subdued, as is the caramel character. a more subtle apple fruitiness comes out, but this is not very dynamic. hops just become annoyingly resinous, without that great citrus freshness, which the keg and bottle versions have.

nah... it seems that most of the time, these extra-fresh/hoppy double IPA's just don't benefit from the cask...

a wasted effort on one of my favorite beers.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

As far as IPAs go this must be decent because I tend to not like IPAs and I still enjoyed this. The after taste is super bitter (which is why I don't like IPAs) but the initial taste is fairly fruity and citrus-y. I would recommend it to IPA lovers or perhaps even people like myself who are really trying to like IPAs.

3.14/5  rDev -25.8%

As is my custom I poured this beer into my snifter. I was greeted by a pleasant amber colored beer with a less than spectacular head that soon dissipated into the the beer.
The aroma was harsh and hoppy, mostly grassy and piney with some malt fighting through.
The first sip presented a slight nutty malt taste that was soon overtaken by bitter hops that finished somewhat harsh with pine and grass dominating the finish.
Although I love IPAs, I will not be adding this one to my list of regulars. Avery likes to push the envelope of drinkability and that is certainly what they did here.

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company