Love Belgian Beer?

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

4.2

Reviews: 1,834 | Ratings: 5,486
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A dark orange copperish color with a very fluffy white head. Left nice glass lacing.

S: Huge hop aroma with an earthy pine and some fresher citrus smells.

T: Bitter hop with some deep earthy piney grapefruit and orange flavors come through but are eventually overtaken by the very deep caramel malt sweetness. The sweetness lingers through the finish as the hops come back for a bitter finish. Nicely balanced beer.

M: Full bodied with a warming alcohol feel upon the finish. Carbonation is well suited.

D: Powerful beer but then its a 10+ abv beer but I enjoyed the pint and felt like more.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into an English pint glass.

A: Hazy copper, but bright. 1" head reduces with nice lacing and mild streaming.

S: Tangerine and orange reigns supreme, an oily hop fiesta. Crazy amounts of hop aromatics abound from the moment the cap is removed, nice Grand Marnier notes.

T: Hops, hops, hops. Resiny, oily, citrusy, and slightly piney hops. Almost reminds me of the Stone 10th: excessive brilliance. Creamy middle malts become more evident as the beer warms, and balance the insanity of the orange explosion well.

M: Crisp, clean, real bite on the taste buds and palate. A bit drying at first, reminding you that the hop excess was little more than formaldehyde for beer.

D: Drinks easily and smoothly, provided your palate is accustomed to these types of hop-bombing IPAs.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy but bright copper color with a nice frothy off white two finger head that disspates quickly to a thin cap. Decent lacing leaves a light layer of suds on the glass. Smell is of a minty grapefruit zest and a grainy earthy quality as well.

First sip is much maltier than I expected with a strong bitter grapefruit-esque bite at the eng and definitely a slight hotness from the alcohol. Fells oily yet smooth in the mouth again with a strong alcohol presence. I easily polished off the 22oz myself but probably would not reach for another one right away as I am feeling the first one already and I would probably opt to go for something with a little less alcohol in the flavor if I were to have another.

Overall this is a nice complex DIPA with a stonng malt profile upfront and a unique hop profile of grapefruit and mint aas well as a strong boozy bite. A wonderful beer best to be shared with a friend in my opinion.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

If you're looking for a hoppy beer that has a lot of citrusy and pineapple notes up front, look no further than the Maharaja!

I poured most of a bomber into an imperial pint glass. It smelled great and looked strong-- not much head or lace at all.

I was a little surprised that the taste up-front was an almost overpowering pineapple zing! As I kept sipping and the beer warmed, it mellowed out a bit.

Overall a great brew-- one I will have again!

4.03/5  rDev -4%

A - Pours bright copper, with frothy 1" head, heavy lacing

S - Fruity hop aroma in the nose. Smell of oranges with floral notes.

T - Certainly doesn't hide what it is: Strong hop flavor, notable citrus and pine. A little alcohol burn on the back end.

M - Full bodied, with a low carbonated, silky/syrupy feel on the palette.

D - Definately a big DIPA, and I found it very enjoyable. Would certainly reach for it again, and would love to try it right off the tap.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

On tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Dublin, OH. Served in a 10 oz glass.

A - Color is a deep tangerine/orange. The bartender poured this to the rim - there's very little head present. Lacing is minimal.

S - Nose is awesome. Really complex. Lots of citrus fruits - I get some pineapple, orange, a bit of lemon.

T - This beer is a hophead's dream. There's all sorts of fruits and lots of citrus hops with a bit of caramel in there too. I get just a slight bit of alcohol warming ... there's no excessive alcohol burn or booziness. I nursed this one quite a bit. The delicious hop bitterness that lingers after each sip plus the complexity of this beer encourages small, calculated sips.

M - Mouthfeel is quite syrupy and on par for the style. Not a ton of carbonation present, but it's overshadowed by the syrupy quality of the beer.

O - This is a great double IPA. I'd like to sample more of this beer (only had 10oz) and/or have it out of a bottle as well before I would rank it in my favorite double IPAs, but I'm quite sure it's going to be high up there on the list.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours orange copper in color, with 1/2" of head, which quickly subsides to a ring around the edge of the glass, leaving rings of runny lacing.

Earthy hops dominate giving in to a sweet malty smell. Grapefruit and pine is also present.

Starts with strong brown sugar malt notes, moving into an earthy bitterness. Finishes crisp and bitter with a warming alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel is creamy but chewy. Carbonation is adequate, but not over the top. The smoothness lends itself to a decent drinkability.

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

22 oz bomber into an oversized wine glass. Batch 10, bottled June 09 so this beer is a few months old.

A. Pours a couldy orange color with a nice solid off-white head. Decent retention with some lacing.

S. Big fruity/juicy smell. Big on orange and some tropical fruits. There's also some slightly spicy malt.

T. 102 IBUs?? Maybe some of the hop kick has faded but it doesn't seem quite that bitter. I found it to have a pretty solid hop kick right off the bat with an orange rind and piney taste, but a pretty sweet aftertaste and overall profile. This beer has a pretty big malty body too. The malt flavor was quite interesting actually and I detected some plum flavor that I'm not really accustomed to with IPA's. Alcohol warmth present also. Pretty balanced DIPA. Tasty.

M. Smooth with subtle carbonation, medium body, good but nothing fantastic.

D. A good beer but the alcohol is fairly present which limits its drinkability. I'm curious to try the next batch when it's fresher to compare.

Edit: Re-rating this beer after trying some fresher bottles and on tap as well. Unfortunately I still don't care for this beer much, I find every time I try it I enjoy it less, so I'm actually lowering the score. In general I find it to be overly hot with a fusel alcohol presence. Bitterness never really pops as I'd like even fresh and on tap. Heavy booze soaked oranges and pineapples with a warm sweeter malt finish.

Some people really dig this big bold DIPA but it always seems overly heavy on alcohol, sweetness, and malt to me. Not to mention at around 10 bucks a bomber where I usually find it in CA I feel like I've given this beer a fair chance but don't plan on buying any more of this. A decent DIPA but for the price point I'd much rather get a 6-pack of Odell's or Racer 5. Hell I can get 2 bombers of Just Outstanding for the same price and I'd say its also twice as good.

4.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Extremely bold and flavorful IPA. Over the top hops and malt to keep up with the 10.2% ABV. The finish lingers and lingers. So great, I would definitely seek this beer out.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Bought this about a month ago, pulled it out of the basement early for the Thanksgiving holiday.

A-Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, which I think might have been a mistake, because it developed about a three inch head. Cloudy amber look to it.

S-Nose has citrus and hop smell, and has my mouth watering.

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful amber color with a bright orange glint. Head doesnt pour overly thick but seems lively and lingers. Absolutely wonderful aroma! Big grapefruit and citrus rind. Earthy tobacco notes, wet hay.Smells like a cirus orchard after rain. That grapefruit isnt just hints or notes its the whole fruit- rind, pulp, it smells like a ripe grapefruit was just cut. It smells somewhat thick on the nose. The malt doesnt do a whole lot for the aroma but the hop profile is so complex, from fruit to earth, spicy to damp, that is smells balanced.
Equally wonderful on the tongue. That grapefruit is as potent as promised, it engages the tongue while the earthy notes keep everything grounded (no pun intended). the malt is simple and sweet, but this beer doesnt need it to be much else.
Very good mouthfeel. Thick and oily, its coats the tongue.carbonation is noticable but not overly lively. As the beer finishes the overt flavors subside and for a moment the malt sweetens and then a vicious bitternous closes things down.
This is one of the best beers I have ever had.

A: Poured a clear copper color with an off-white head that went away rather quickly. Lacing was minimal but to me seemed to increase a bit as the beer warmed.

S: I was expecting a very "graperfruity" nose to to the beer. I was surprised that it was a bit subdued to me, especially considering its high IBU's (105). Also as the beer warmed a bit I detected an almost "vinyl" like nose, but it did not turn me off.

T: The flavor was nice and creamy with the malt being very seemless with the hops. The citrusy aspect was there as a flavor profile, but I did not get the grapefruit as I had suspected on the nose might have. The maltiness was just a touch sweet as well, but not cloying

M: A nice mouthfeel was evident on this beer. I could drink this beer very easily as the hoppiness was not overwhelming. The carbonation was evident, but did not last long and the finish was strong and a piney hopiness was there for a bit afterword.

D: Like I mentioned above the malt and hops meld very well and I could easily drink this beer often. The higher alcohol level was not that evident, but then again I only drank one over time. A nice effort and one in which I will search out again!

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

served in a guiness 20z glass..fresh 2011 batch

a- wow poppeed the cap off and u can tell it is fresh with the big champaine popping sound...wowwww- huge frothy like clouds head-goos 3 inches (off-white, light tan head..light mahogany appearance, dark amber (def some redness)

s- holy hops-topical paradise-grapefruit,tangy citric...AND boy can u smell the alcohol, very boozy smelling (most i have every smelt).

t-definetly a complex bre for sure...as i am writing this i am still tasting different flavors after the first sip which occured 45 seconds ago...lots of sweet pale malt and light caramel, which appears in the taste as cookie which in the fore, pungent fruity hops balance this beer- not as much hops as i expected in the smell, but still definetly there..then comes the booze, definetely noticiable..nice spicy sting at the end to let you know this is powerful, could possibly have some corriander in here or maybe just alc.?

m- creamy smooth from the large amount of sweet malt

0- great beer, as with any imperial ipa, malt shines through mmore than hops to produce large alocohol content, but hops provide good balance

edit- after looking at alstrom bros review, def notice the tobacco and mint

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

This ale has big sticky lacing and fluffy near white head. Huge smells of orange, pineapple and mango all over the nose. Faint traces of alcohol and lime with mint. Grapefruit bitterness takes the center stage from the first sip. Afterglows of caramel and and orange peel follow revealing slightly the 10%+ ABV. The aromas and the taste differ quite a bit. I am reminded of Grand Marnier. Who needs after dinner drinks when we live so happily in the world of super DIPAs. I am finding that the large quaffs are just as good as the slow sips. The body is refreshing silky and thin. The carbonation is present but does not scrub the bitterness from the pallet before the next sip. I do love this brew and will be looking for this again. there are drawbacks on the drinkability when she clocks in over 10%. As with the Hopslam tread lightly the sweetness is a lie... you will feel the buzz.

Bought at Whole Foods in Pasadena, Ca-Arroyo Parkway.
Bottled in Feb. 2009, Batch 9.

Smell off the bottle is definitely hoppy with a grapefruit smell. Poured a dark golden color in wine glass which is the only clean glass I have at the moment. The taste is definitely hoppy like a double IPA should be. Nice. Mouthfeel fills the whole mouth with a tingly sensation with a good alcohol back end. Drinkability is take your time sipping this beer. Good on a warm summer day/evening. I'll throw in Winter too.

4.79/5  rDev +14%

22oz bottle from mbunje bought at Avery. Poured into Chimay goblet. Consumed in the 52°-55°F range. Batch 9, Bottled in Feb. 2009. There is nothing like consuming a good IIPA/DIPA the same month it was bottled.

A - 4.0
Looks like a great DIPA. White head, fair to good retention. Sparse lacing. Transparent copper brown.

S - 5.0
Bring on the hops! Seriously. Reminds me a bit of the Green Flash Imperial IPA. Very hop skunky. I'm a self-proclaimed and buddy-proclaimed hophead (buddy bought me the BA HopHead tee.) I can't get enough of the smell. Damn. Unmistakable citrusy pine.

T - 5.0
Exactly what I want from a DIPA. Nice hop bitter with enough malt sweet to provide balance. Powering through a solo mission bomber will be a delight.

M - 4.5
Near perfect mouthfeel. Smooth on the front... almost impossibly smooth for this much hops. Bitter bite on the of the tongue on the way down. I can't help but keep this in my mouth an extra second before swallowing.

D - 4.5
Scary drinkable. I wouldn't touch more than 22oz of it in a session. But, I will enjoy the whole 22oz. I would love to keep a bottle of this in the cellar to personally enjoy... and when fellow BA's visit so I can say.... "I have a bottle of the MAH-ha-RA-ja." What a perfect name for a superior DIPA/IIPA. Congratulations again to Avery.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

A -Poured from a 22oz bomber to a goblet. Pours a nice reddish-blond color with a decent head which dissipates relatively quick leaving a faint white ring atop the brew.

S - Huge aroma, which you can pick up on as soon as you crack the top. Citrus (tangerine, grapefruit), possibly some cilantro, and vanilla, very complex aroma but it makes me want to keep smelling. Very inviting.

T - Same complexity as the smell, starts off slow, sweetness like a ruby red grapefruit, sweetness from the malts, then the hops become more pronounced and tart, finishes with a bitter punch.The alcohol is there but never overwhelming, very subtle. Man there is alot going on here and my palate is just not far along enough to break it down any further.

M - Somewhat creamy and smooth. Moderate carbonation.

D - Scary smooth for the 10% ABV. The complexity of the flavors keep you coming back for more but this is by no means a session beer, not even close. This is certainly one to end the night with as I doubt your palate would be able to recover from the experience quickly. Very enjoyable and a must try for any DIPA fan.

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured on tap into a chalice. Nice head. Insane aroma of citrus fruits like grapefruit, tangerine, orange, lemon. Taste was sublime. CITRUS CITRUS CITRUS. Warming alcohol finish. More than two of these would be dangerous. I can't believe the hop aroma and flavor I'm getting from this beer! Fairly drinkable despite the some 10% abv. This is a delicious double IPA! Total citrus BOMB. Simply amazing...

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

The Maharaja is fantastic I'm happy to finally have it on draft. It pours with a healthy amount of head and orange amber color. There is a strong pina colada sent emminating out of and over comming the frosted glass. It starts out with a piney hop attack with a short break of big clean almost sweet malty body. Than it's right back with a huge hops profile stanting with a pina colada citric sweetness. Moving on to citric grapefruit rhine like bitterness ending with a white pepper like hop finnish. Refreshing.

Had this on tap poured into pint glass though probably would have been better to have been a snifter or tulip as this was a fairly full beer to sample. A thick light head formed on top of golden, slightly copper tones with lacing that clinged to the glass.

The nose was full of floral and hops...sweet and quite fresh. Taste followed suit with (obviously) fully hopped, floral notes and sweetness in front then slight bitterness that grabs the tongue toward the finish. Not as much alcohol that was initially expected from the 9+% ABV though as I say..a pint was quite a full sample especially as it was preceeded by a Mattingly's Dead Flower which is hopped to the hilt!!

Nonetheless, this is a really good beer. Very drinkable a great Imperial IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Clear, copper, medium body. One-finger off-white head with some lacing.

Smell: Has some apple, lemon and grapefruit with a toffee malt.

Taste: Piney, grapefruit, lemon and some slight orange. The malt is toffee and honey sweet. Resiny taste.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated and creamy (not full body/ Stout creamy) with some resin.

Drink: Easy drinking for a DIPA.

Second Review...
1-25-2012

Appearance: A nice hazy copper medium body. Has white to off-white head that retains well and has decent lacing.

Smell: A presence of yeast, a big malt profile...mostly caramel. Really sweet smelling for an IPA. There is some pine, citrus and alcohol too.

Taste: A big caramel malt followed by piney/citrus waves. I detect some apple and raisin in there too. The malt kind of reminds me of some dropplebock characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and round with a perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall: This is a really different tasting IPA. Its very enjoyable and unexpected.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

This was served to me at Freshcraft in LoDo, Denver in a 10-oz. Nonic pint glass. I requested a tulip glass and poured it into there to better assess and enjoy the beer.

A: Nice solid orangey-copper color with a 1-finger off-white head that took little coaxing to maintain. Lacing remained on top if left unattended and with a few swirls, the head came back.

S: Certainly wreaked of a DIPA, in a good way with aromas of hemp oil, pine, light citrus and light stonefruit notes (think nectarines and peaches), along with a bit of malt and grain to make it not so one-dimensional. Solid nose.

T: Hints of dried spice and mild white pepper, as well as anything-but-sweet nectarine and peach notes, as well as some light grapefruit notes. The pine resin also carried over onto the palate.

M: Palate was a little drier overall than I anticipated. Not in a bad way, it just wasn't as sweet as some other DIPAs out there, like DFH 90-Minute as a point of reference. Because it wasn't all that sweet, I'd call it medium+bodied.

O: I am proud to call Colorado home and feel fortunate to have so much great beer, this one being included, accessible and close to home. I'd happily drink this again, without reservation.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A great brew from Avery!

Labeled batch #8 bottled May 2008 Abv 10.21%

Poured into my Maudite snifter little to no head and no lacing. It has a wonderful deep honey color.

Smells like citrusy pine with some alcohol.

Wonderful malt flavor with some citrus fruit balanced perfectly with hops. Some IPAS are over the top with hops but this one hits the mark balancing sweetness with bitterness. The alcohol is well masked but lingers slightly in after taste

This IPA feels wonderful in the mouth. It is syrupy thick full bodied and a great sipper.

One of my top 10 beers I have enjoyed to date and the least expensive. I can only imagine what a few years in the cellar will bring.

Pours golden copper and crystal clear with no haze. The head is fluffy and white. A great looking beer. It smells sweet and citrusy with a little bit of booze smell. The taste is sweet up front with some hop blast in the back. It is smooth and easy to drink. Very pleasant beer and will drink again!

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Dusky caramel colored ale with good head retention.

Pungent scent of Juicyfruit bubble gum, grapefruit, and resiny, piney hop cones. Clearly a fresh bottle.

First punch of heady alcohol followed by slick lingering bitterness. Some notes of toffee and smoke.

Although it's a multi-dimensional alcoholic hop bomb, I had no difficulty finishing the 22 ounce bomber.

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company