Maharaja | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

4.2

Ratings: 5,641 |  Reviews: 1,869

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

On draft in a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy copper. One finger head with great lacing. Aroma is pine and citrus with a toffeeish touch. Flavor is citrus. Pineapple, apricot, and grapefruit with a caramel malt. Mouthfeel is syrupy and on the thick side. Really good DIPA

3.99/5  rDev -5%

Am tasting batches 14 and 15 side by side both from 22oz bottles poured into new belgium globe glassware. Smells coming from the bottle are pine, citrus, caramel, and alcohol. Suprisingly the batch 14 bottle smells more of hops than the batch 15 bottle. Each glass poured with a 1/2 inch head that quickly receded into a patchy lace floating upon the surface of my beer, like algae on a farmpond. Both beers are a golden amber in color while the batch 15 seems to be a tad darker. The batch 15 smells of grapefruit rind, alcohol, and a slight burn of alcohol. The batch 14 certainly smells much hoppier and I am picking up grapefruit, orange zest, burnt caramel and sugar. The aroma difference in between the 7 month old, and two month old bottle are really catching me off guard. I would think that the fresher bottle would be the more aromatic of the two. The batch fourteen aroma is heavenly while the 15 is a little more subdued and boozy.
I tasted the 15 first and it is resinous, boozy, grassy and prickly and drying to the pallete. The taste sticks in your mouth for a while after the fist sip, and the boozy finishes sticks with you as well, but is not at all offensive. The batch of fourteen is danker, and heavier in taste. The dankness and burnt caramel flavors shine through, but does not have the piney grassy finish that the 15 did. The fourteen was prickly and drying as well, but not so much as the fresher batch 15 was. I am suprised that I like the older bottle a little better than the fresher one. Overall I enjoyed both bottles and would purchase this beer again. Good job Avery brewing company. Edit: Upon a second pour after the beer had warmed a bit it holds a head quit nicely and has now warmed to the point that resinous piney hops are shining through, coating my entire mouth and destroying my ability to taste. The fifteen is now drinking like the hop bomb it should. That'll learn me for reviewing too cold a beer. Thanks Avery Brewing Company.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

I picked up a bottle of Avery's Maharaja last week for $7.59 at The Lager Mill. It's been a long day and I need something a little stronger then usual, so I thought I would give this DIPA a try, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 24oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks pretty good and it is also eye catching. It poured a pretty hazy golden copper color that took on a nice looking bright copper color when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This is a proper looking DIPA, no complaints here, I really like the bright copper color that comes through when held to the light.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of citrus hops that impart a really dominate grapefruit aroma followed by some blood orange and pineapple. Next comes a 50/50 combination of floral and piney hops that work well with the dominating citrus hops and make for a good hop profile. I also pick up a little sweet and bready malts and a slight bit of alcohol on the finish. This beer had a nice aroma that was dominated by grapefruits.

T- This is a pretty intense tasting beer, but the taste seems to have much more balance then the aroma did. It start out with a slightly toasted malt base that imparts a some mild bready and grainy flavors and it had a high amount of medium sweetness. After that comes the hops. instead of being a grapefruit bomb like the aroma was the hop profile in the taste is a combination of citrus, floral, and piney hops, with no one type of hops sticking out more then the other, they seem pretty equal. Bitterness comes right from the get go and is pretty damn high, the bitterness stays throughout the flavor. On the finish I got a noticeable amount of alcohol and a bready and very hoppy mainly floral aftertaste. This is one intense DIPA that is good, but it's a little rough around the edges.

M- A little warming, slightly sticky, on the full side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good, but not as good as some of the better DIPA's.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, the flavor was pretty damn intense, I have no problem classifying this as a palate wrecker. This beer doesn't have that good of drinkability, the bomber was a little too much for me to handle, I am sure I can drink it all but I think this beer is much better suited to be split with somebody that likes DIPA's, but I always finish what I start so this bad boy is going down. What I like most about this beer was the way it looked and the heavy grapefruit aroma, they were both pretty damn good. What I liked least about this beer was that it was a little rough around the edges, if the body was a little smoother and if the flavors blended a little better this would be a very good DIPA. If I wanted to get a palate wrecking DIPA for a decent price to split with somebody I may be inclined to purchase this again, but I think I would rather have Hop Stoopid, instead and it's cheaper. If you are a fan of DIPA and want something that is going to wreck your palate this beer is for you. This is one solid DIPA, but it isn't refined enough to be a top tier DIPA, I like it but there are more then a few DIPA's that I would rather have. Avery is one solid brewery, I haven't had anything from them that I would consider less then good, but I have yet to be truly wowed by their big beers, lucky for me they make a bunch of big beers so they have more then a couple chances to wow me with some of them and you can be sure I will buy them if they make it to a store near me, solid beer, keep up the good work guys, Avery is my favorite Colorado Brewery, they aren't afraid to take chances and I like that, I don't like a boring and very predictable brewery, Avery is not one of those.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

Pour is daeep amber with a decent white head. No carbonation, as usual. I get a balance of pine and citrus, but the smoke in the biergarten is messing with me. hm pine, all pine. Powdery sweet malt, with the pine losing to the sweetness of the malt. After hopslam and hop notch, this is kind of second best.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

On-tap at Stub and Herb's in Minneapolis. Poured into a 10 oz. goblet.

Pours a clear deep medium amber. Brought poured to the brim, so I don't know about head, but it did leave excellent lacing, at least at first. Very little visible carbonation.

Smells pretty darn malty, in the barleywine-DIPA-hybrid vein of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree, though nowhere near as sweet as that beer. Hops are pushing their way through, piney and resinous and sticky. Smell has a nice warmth to it. Definitely big on the hops and the malts.

Taste starts out rich, bold, and slightly sweet before piney bitterness kicks up bigtime. Well-balanced throughout, with the light grainy sweetness of the malts and the pine of the hops playing off each other. Finishes long and bitter, but surprisingly smooth. Alcohol is quite well hidden.

Mouthfeel is the low point of the beer. Medium-bodied and slightly stick, but definitely lacking in the carbonation department. Feels pretty flat.

A smooth, malty, piney DIPA. Nicely balanced, with solid hop and malt presence. Good, but not outstanding.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Solid, but, unfortunately, not the exceptional experience others report. Big malt body, appropirate for an imperial IPA, with a caramel malt character. Assertive hopping, a bit raw and rough around the edges - moderately citric. ETOH bites at the finish a bit more than the ABV would seem to justify, with black pepper and some heat. Overall, a very good beer, but not more than that.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at Fireworks Courthouse,VA (in Arlington ya'll)

A: Honey almond blood Tang. Light white lacing entices the young teen athlete.
S: Sweet nectarines, honey, fresh golf tee grass, hoppy tree resin.
T: Sweet nectarines mashed with sour lemons. White grapefruit laced with a dash of white table sugar. Warrior hop bitters. Nice hop sour mouthful that lingers like a super sour lemon rind in the mouth.
M: Medium carbo, frothy, with a slick resin middle with a tingling carbo sour palate ending. The finish is extremely long and sour packed, a great midrange thickness to this sappy brew.
O: A really decent DIPA that lacks another taste profile to take into top tier contention. Definitely worth a try and buy.

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company