Maharaja | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

4.2

Ratings: 5,641 |  Reviews: 1,869

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

I bought a single 1pint 6Fl Oz bottle from Woodman's in Janesville, WI in the Spring of 2011.

I had a lot about how good this beer was and really wanted to try it. After sitting in my fridge a few months, I gave it a try splitting with my mom and me, however I ended up drinking the whole bottle because it was too strong for her. At 10.54% ABV and 102 IBUs HOLY COW!

This is definitely the hoppiest beer I've ever had. It poured a cloudy copper orange color with a pillowed white head. It had the scent of bitter hops. The taste was hops and more hops. It started out bold with sweet tasting hops and gradually worked to finish bitter and dry. Definitely a full, long lasting tasteful beer. If you are not a fan on hoppy beers, definitely one to avoid, but I really liked it!

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%