Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Maharaja | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

#863

Ratings: 5,659 |  Reviews: 1,872

This is in a big bottle… and has a HUGE ABV. It comes in over 10%. It’s been a long day so I need another beer with a big ABV. We are doing two tonight and the last one was over 7%. Plus, I like the label. I am not impressed with all of the beers from Avery, but this one is unique. We did the Titan IPA earlier, so might as well keep it in the family. Let’s work our way through this beefy beer. (Beefy beer… that might be good. With a ketchup chaser!)

In the Glass: In the glass, it looks like a typical IPA. I don’t really know what makes it an imperial IPA… but who cares. I like a good hoppy beer that leaves a good aftertaste. The lace on this beer is weak too, and for a beer that has this much hype I expected more.

Nose: The nose is sweet, almost tangy. I like the hint of orange you get on the tip of the nose too. It doesn’t smell like alcohol, which with a beer reaching 11% ABV you might think you would/could pick up. The sweetness is overwhelming.

Flavor: The beer hits your tongue with force… and slides down smooth leaving a sweetness on your palate. It’s wet, cold, and doesn’t really have the booze that I have heard it packs. Jake said, “Oh man, drink that soon. That needs to be sipped on fresh.” Well it’s not fresh. It’s not cheap either. But the flavor is impressive. LIke I said, I don’t care for Avery… but this one is solid.

Mouthfeel: The beer isn’t thick, but it has a ton of flavors exploding on the palate. It’s wet (I love when I explain a beer as wet) and has an almost hint of barleywine. The beer moves across the tongue quick, and is gone leaving way for a somewhat smokey aftertaste. Speaking of the aftertaste…

Aftertaste: I expect most IPAs to have a big, hoppy aftertaste. This one does not. It’s cool, calm and collected and has a soothing barleywine flavor. Maybe that is what makes it an “imperial” IPA… one that tastes like an IPA but reminds you of a barleywine.

I am glad we opened this because that bottle has been starring at me for a long time! I like it… a lot. Bottoms up people!

Batch 15 Winter 11/12

Clear orange(slightly reddish) and a whiteish head.

Lots of fruit in the nose namely peach, apricot and grapefruit.

Not as much bitterness for a big ol Imperial IPA as I was expecting. Maybe the age might have taken effect? But it is fairly well balanced. I get just enough malty sweetness and bready character to not make it a ridiculously undrinkable hop bomb. It is still quite the hoppy monster though. The bitterness gives way to a citric grapefruit and pine flavor. Plenty of alcohol warmth, but not much alcohol flavor.
Long lasting aftertaste and dry. Pretty big and sticky. Not much carbonation.

A super solid big IPA, yet I wasn't super blown away like some beertubers seem to be. I did drink it fairly quickly for such a high abv DIPA in a bomber. I could have used more in the flava department though.

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company