Maharaja | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

4.2

Reviews: 1,849 | Ratings: 5,583
4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A - A beautiful amber copper with a fine head, leaves a nice lace behind.

S- Strong citrus notes, nice hops, malty.

T- Fantastic and well put together. Strong bitterness from the hops, nice peppery notes and a pleasant dose of caramel.

M- Amazing body, very flavorful with a superb progression.

O- This brew is true to its reputation. One of the best IPA's I have ever had. Pliney the Elder is the only one that stands out as superior (although hardly so!). Highly recommended for any enthusiast.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bright orange to copper, like a sunburst. coats beautifully. immediate hop punch, followed by pine and citrus. smooth taste with bananna, grapefruit, and orange peel. fruit and malts balance the potent hops quite nicely making this very drinkable. alcohol becomes slightly present as it warms. great brew

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A strong contender for the best Imperial IPA available. The best thing about this beer is that as it warms up the hop bouquet really becomes more and more complex: wild, grassy, dare I say wild oniony/garlicky? Weird, I know, but somehow it works. Pineapple and syrup mix with honeyed grapefruit. A must have for any hophead.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer is by far better than Avery's IPA, which is a statement to this beers quality! This beer is like a philharmonic orchestra on the tongue... From the hiss of opening, to the last sip, you will love this beer!

When opening this beer, the encouraging sound heard is a beautiful one, almost as if encouraging your salivary glands for what is to come...

The poor - poor this beer rather conservatively at first but finish toward the aggressive side... definitely tilt that glass but finish straight up with and straight down bottle... encourage that head to form at the end!

The aroma - it maybe uncustomary but with this beer, to experience it correctly, I encourage you to treat it like a fine wine, don't just slam it back like your uncle Bubba drinking PBR... prepare your pallet of the up coming experience by at least two or three deep inhalations or this beers aroma! You wont be disappointed!

The taste - Well at this point, it better be fantastic some might say, and don't worry, this beer does not disappoint, not with the first sip, not with the last... all the way thru, this beer is a philharmonic orchestra for the tongue/mouth... Very few beers are this pleasurable to drink/taste from start to finish... especially for some like myself who finds joy in drinking a great beer...

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer suites my taste as I am a lover of hoppy beers. The beer pours with a head which I found to be bigger and frothier than most IPA's (poured from a bottle into a glass). It is difficult to describe the taste other than ultra hoppy and bitter, but with the taste and finish one would expect of a high quality IPA. It is a strong beer but this cannot be detected in its taste. While I haven't tasted many Avery beers, I have yet to find one that I did not like.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

This brew pours a clear bright red-orange color. The head is massive, billowy white, and leaves thorough lacing. The aroma is outstanding: lots of grass, lots of pine, lots of citrus, lots of grapefruit, and lots of strength. The taste is very bitter; it is one of the most bitter beers I have ever consumed. The grapefruit comes out a bit more in the taste than it does in the aroma, while the pine does the same in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice smoothness. Overall, this is a darn good IIPA, and I would drink this agian in a heartbeat. The only beef I have with this brew is the complete lack of a malt backbone which would add a little extra to the taste and mouthfeel.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Huge head, no matter how I pour this beer. Brilliantly transparant, and a nice warm shade of amber. The head is a fluffy white creamy billowy pillow that leaves a ton of lace. Perfect.

S: I smell a ton of citrus, with tangerine and apricot. There's some faint pine hints. It smells so good...just the way an IIPA should taste.

T: It has a nice rich malt flavor, with a really strong spruce flavor. It's very well balanced between the malt and bitterness. It tastes like they didn't skimp on the hops at all in this one. I can taste some alcohol. The flavor has a huge rich profile though.

M: The mouthfeel on this is great. It has just enough carbonation to give it that zing, just enough bitterness that you want from a beer like this, without it being imposing or uncomfortable. There is a lot of resinous sting in the beer that tears at the tongue, so that's the only part that makes it slightly uncomfortable to drink. Otherwise it feels great.

O: Overall this beer is awesome. I would recommend it pretty much to anyone who loves hops, IPA's IIPA's...you get the idea. It's a very complete beer.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Fairly clear with some non-fermentables floating. Head was close to white.

S: Pineapple and grapefruit, with a bit of mango coming in real late.

T: PINEAPPLE!!! .. with a bit of grapefruit and mango. Hard to find a malty backbone per say, but I believe the sweetness of those tropical fruits do a pretty good job. Love the tropical fruits accompanying the bitterness.

M: Not too sticky, but some oiliness remains on the tongue post-swallow. Excellent carbonation.

D: The only thing that hinders the drinkablility is the abv, 10.27 is a bit high. That being said, I can't put this beer down and I've stopped trying..just have a longer morning.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Copper beer with a one-inch head, reducing to one-quarter inch. Nice lacing.

S: Beautiful, pink grapefruit aroma.

T: Grapefruit hop flavor is prominent, with a very present bitterness that remains restrained and lasts through the finish.

MF: Very smooth, almost thick, mouthfeel. Carbonation was moderate.

D: I will definitely have another. This is a beautiful DIPA.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A winner of a brew in the traditional "West Coast" style. Lines up closely with Bell's Hopslam which is of a similar style.

A = Thick, rich dark amber color with volumes of head and white lace.

S = A beautiful enticement of sweet, ripe grapefruit and hint of pineapple and fresh cut pine.

T = A rich display of sugery grapefruit and requesite hoppiness loads the palate. A slightly more acidic and complex nature than Hopslam, the flavors are very satisfying.

M = Early carbonation was released through aeration. The result was smooth, substantial character that encouraged another sip.

D = A reasonable and easy quaff that "Shakelton" would approve of. Several bottles was just the ticket for me.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy copper-orange color with a big, rocky off-white head with great lacing. Really beautiful. The head eventually turns to a really dense film, but still nice.

Smell: Great fresh pine forest aroma, with a bit of citrus background. Not the usual pine aroma; this one is lovely and fresh.

Taste: A very tasty beer with slightly bitter citrus, fresh pine, and caramel. Light bitter pine into the finish and aftertaste, but still wonderfully balanced with that caramel.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth, with some good light tingly carbonation. It leaves a bit of a caramel feel afterwards.

Drinkability: Very high ABV, but it is totally disguised by the taste. Goes down great.

I'd been eying this at the store for months now, but a bit put off by the price. But, got it today and absolutely love it! A really great double IPA. Definitely _not_ a hop-bomb, this has a strong but very well-balanced flavor with little bitterness (and, indeed, it even has some welcome sweetness). The aroma is amazing too: the fresh pine-forest smell isn't at all like most IPAs with a pine-like smell... this smells like a real pine forest, not like Pine-Sol! A real treat, well worth picking up. I'll get more bottles of this for sure!

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

This very tasty IPA is something I would go for on any day that I want some hoppy, malty big beer. Not too much in your face, but enough to make you realize you are getting what you asked for.
With a slightly red/amber hue, the head did just about as much as it was supposed to. The aroma is sneaky with sweet and floral notes. The taste gets right down to what I think an IPA should be. Slightly malty hints to smooth out a little bitterness and a whole lot of tasty hoppiness that transcends throughout each sip. I can't argue with this one, it's got just about everything I want in a real beer. I'd put it up close to the Pliney, and may actually be a bit more accessible at this point. I could see both of these beers blowing up.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy being part of the cult following of this tasty brew!

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a cloudy golden amber/orange color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a frothy, pillowy off-white head that had decent retention slowly fading into a lasting ring. Nice sporadic chunks of lacing.

Extremely hoppy aroma with a lot of citrus and floral notes. Hints of lemon peel and grapefruit as well as resinous hop oils and pine with a subtle malt presence.

Intensely bitter and hop forward with a blast of dry piney floral hops with hints o citrus lemon peel, grapefruit and pineapple. While it is sweet, there are still some earthy dry sticky dank pine notes. With all of the hops there is a decent malt backbone that provides a small bit of balance. Slight alcohol presence but the ABV is still very well masked making this dangerously drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Preview: Overall, I must say, the flavors were subtle on a cream smooth background. Really strange IMO. Never had an IPA or DIPA that was subtle. But I found this to make the beer intriguing. It gave a nice background on which many different flavors could play and interact. So, no flavor was in your face. It was a really complex orchestration that was challenging and enjoyable. Although DIPAs are not a style I see putting in the cellar, I see this beer improving over the course of a couple years.

On to the review...

Should I? To late, I already opened it. Bomber obtained from Superior Liquor (Colorado) in July 2005 and consumed later that evening. Pours a finger and a half light tan head over a nearly clear rust/dark orange liquid. Smells, OMG, hoppy wonder. Grapefruit flesh (not pith bitter, it's the sweet fruit) and fresh sharp pine needles. A search for malt or fruit esters failed, but I did stumble on oranges and pineapple in the hop aroma. Sharp clean hop, I love it.

Taste...I love it. From the thick smooth creamy mouthfeel that starts at the lips to the sweet and fruity malt finish that hangs on my tongue, this beer battered me with an assortment of flavors that rise and fall and blend into each other in a frenzy of...well, you know. It's going to take me the whole bomber to describe this. I apologize in advance if I begin to slur my speech before I'm done.

Very odd, when I put a swallow in my mouth, I get almost no flavor to start. I guess, a gentle toasted grain and apricot. The most noticable feature is the silky smooth (almost oatmeal-like quality) to the mouthfeel. Upon the swallow some hop bitter arises, but much less than I was expecting based on the smell. Hop flavor at the time is oranges and tangerine bolstered by caramel in the malt and pear in the ester. The aftertaste is hop orange, apricot, clean hop pine, mango ester (not often I find *that* in a beer), hop tangerine, strawberry-rhubarb ester, and a gentle sting of alcohol. Oh, alcohol! You warm my belly tonight as you've warmed my life, like a booster supporting his favorite college team.

Thick body and mild carbonation. Silky smooth on the tongue and gentle going down. No CO2 acrid here or stingy bubbles forming on the tongue. Really smooth, thick, and creamy. Lacing on the glass is about as good as it gets. Pull it over me like a blanket...I'm lit and ready for bed.

Wow.
For $8 a bottle, it had better be good, and it is.
I picked it up at a beverage barn place in New Paltz, and havent found it anywhere else, but if I go through there again, I would get another.
Poured a beautiful dark gold, slight head, and gave the smell of a wet-hopped, bitter, IPA. Came with a kick as well, advertised 10.2%. A beer worth the purchase if you see it.

served in a guiness 20z glass..fresh 2011 batch

a- wow poppeed the cap off and u can tell it is fresh with the big champaine popping sound...wowwww- huge frothy like clouds head-goos 3 inches (off-white, light tan head..light mahogany appearance, dark amber (def some redness)

s- holy hops-topical paradise-grapefruit,tangy citric...AND boy can u smell the alcohol, very boozy smelling (most i have every smelt).

t-definetly a complex bre for sure...as i am writing this i am still tasting different flavors after the first sip which occured 45 seconds ago...lots of sweet pale malt and light caramel, which appears in the taste as cookie which in the fore, pungent fruity hops balance this beer- not as much hops as i expected in the smell, but still definetly there..then comes the booze, definetely noticiable..nice spicy sting at the end to let you know this is powerful, could possibly have some corriander in here or maybe just alc.?

m- creamy smooth from the large amount of sweet malt

0- great beer, as with any imperial ipa, malt shines through mmore than hops to produce large alocohol content, but hops provide good balance

edit- after looking at alstrom bros review, def notice the tobacco and mint

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Wow, Avery got the recipe right on with batch 7(2008). I bought two bottles from Coaltrain in Colorado Springs the day they arrived and I expect I will be buying a case of this gem.
Amazing citrus and floural hops auroma. The flavor is amazing with the perfect balance of grapefruit, or citrus, and carmel. For a high gravity beer, this one is very drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: A beautiful golden yellow body with a nice thick ivory white head.

S: Plenty of citrus in the front of the nose but not over powering. There is subtle but balanced caramel on the finish.

T: Great and rare balance in a high ABV IPA. There is a citrus/grapefruit flavor on the front and then it seamlessly transitions to a subtly sweet caramel and toffee finish.

M: Amazing there is both great carbonation and body. Spot on.

O: Great beer. Well worth the price. Get this beer if you are a fan of IPAs.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 22oz bomber into Duvel tulip

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color with a nice 2 fingers of off white head that leaves some amazing lacing.

Smell: Fruity tropical, piney hop aromas; grapefruit, mango, and pine. Followed by a kiss of sweet caramel malt.

Taste: Dank, piney, tropical hop goodness! Some nice pine needle type flavors going on as well as a really great earth dankness, followed by some citirus, and tropical undertones.

Mouthfeel: Nice full body to stand up to the hop barrage, with moderate prickly carbonation.

Overall: Very, very good DIPA, stands up there with greats IMO, would love to be able to get my hands on some more of this sometime.

4.66/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily one of the most balanced DIPA's I've ever had.

There is a nice, pineapple sweetness that pushes against the bitter hops and creates a truly fantastic beer.

The aroma is pure pineapple juice with some piney undertones.

The alcohol is absolutely present, but by no means overpowering. I was shocked when I saw this was 10.2% Abv. It drinks like a regular IPA. Very smooth and moderate in carbonation.

For $9 I would absolutely buy a bomber of this again.

4.66/5  rDev +11%

Maharific? Magnifaraja? Oh, sorry, Maharaja!

Clear orange body on my first pour from the monster 220z bottle. The last pour too was clear and shiny. At almost 11%, I took my time on this one tonight. Batch 7, brewed in Feb08 (last month).

Monster hop presence in the nose. Just monster. Like fresh squeezed hops. Grepefruit is the strongest. A pine kick in there too, like a christmas tree freshly cut.

Ruby grapefruit pulp (i swear i can almost feel the pulp chunks in my mouth, its that vivid!), dank cannibis, fresh mowed grass, and powdered sugar, all at once. I am really liking this one. The alcohol is hidden extremly well.

Incredible drinkability. Put this up against any other 11%, i dare you!

I only picked one of these buggers up when I was in Portland, I really really want more! A whole case!

4.66/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best IPA to date.
Had this when I went returning the rental car in downtown Boston at a stop in Bunker Hill (Brewer's Fork - awesome place).
Described the bar tender my likes and he poured me a sampler of this one, which sold me on it.
Strong citrus and grass nose, but the taste is plain fantastic joy. Flows like thick juice. Did not taste a lot of alcohol and thought it is an IPA until my buddy told me we better get going before the 10% kick in.
And they did eventually while the taste lingered....
Great.

4.66/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep straw, almost amber orange with a persistent head and nice lacing. The nose is wonderfully complex bouquet of honey, pine, grapefruit, passion fruit, lime and malt. The thick malty sweetness acts as a backbone for both the high alcohol and bitterness of the hops. Layering over the malty sweetness are again flavors of grapefruit and resin/pine with hints of honeysuckle and mint. The after palate one this beer lasts forever, with a pleasant dance of malt and bitterness lingering on your tongue. An absolute delight to drink and revisit.

4.66/5  rDev +11%

I discovered this beer at the brewery in September and fell in love with it. Amazing DIPA that was the highlight of a fantastic afternoon in Boulder back in September. After trying everything I could that day I decided a review would not be appropriate at the time. So I bought a bomber and finally got around to cracking it open last week. Here are the notes from my phone:

APPEARANCE: Opaque and orange with a light, pinkish hue, almost a tangerine color. Sediment was heavily dispersed throughout. The head was very large, thick and foamy. Made for some pretty solid lacing, but it did take a few minutes to pour.

SMELL: A faint piney smell with light floral notes. Not as strong a nose as I would have imagined from the Maharaja.

TASTE: Intense sweetness and bitterness hit the tongue right off the bat. This is a very interesting balance and both sweet and bitter are present throughout the sip. Piney notes from the nose are also present and it leaves a nice, gentle, floral aftertaste. Exceptional.

MOUTHFEEL: Slightly oily with a mild sparkle to it. It feels as rich as it tastes.

OVERALL: I had this beer as my dessert after my girlfriend cooked a wonderful steak dinner. I could not have asked for a finer dessert. Rich, delicious and very satisfying.

4.66/5  rDev +11%

Poured 22oz bottle into tulip glass...

A: Golden brown minimal head with some lacing

S: nothing really overpowering, very subtle hints of pine / grapefruit

T: Wonderful mix of hops / grapefruit, the high ABV is wonderfully masked....minial heat coming through

M: medium to heavy carbonation, hoppy after taste, good drinkability

Overall a better then average IPA mostly becase of the flavor and the masking of teh high ABV....will definitely try again and again and again....

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company