Karma Belgian Style Pale Ale | Avery Brewing Company

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2005

3.4

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a golden orange color with one and a half fingers of creamy white head.

Scent of sugars, fruit, spices, malts, and caramel. Not overly sweet and balanced well, a good scent.

Taste of bread, caramel, tobacco, metal, and some light fruit. A bit watery, and the slight metallic taste doesn't help. It's not a bad beer, but it isn't offensive.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Decent head initially, but it doesn't leave a lot of lace. Copper color but quite clear for the style.

Clean, lighter grain malty aroma. Light alcohol and a scent of Belgian yeast in the background.

Stronger yeast flavor than the aroma would indicate. Raw grain base with a mild hop that doesn't really give much bitterness. The body is as expected.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from bottle into Unibroue tulip glass.

A: Rich amber coloring with nice head but not as big as I was expecting. Lacing apparent along with carbonation. Good looking brew.

S: Getting burnt tones on the nose along with some very faint floral tones. After it warmed up I began to get apple tones.

T & M: Mouthfeel a little on the thin side. Burnt tones come out in the taste as well. A little tartness on the finish but overall thin in taste department as well.

D: Drinkable but I don't think I'll be seeking again. This is the first Avery that left me somewhat underwhelmed.

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a medium golden color with a creamy looking beige head. Has decent retention and a little bit of lacing.

Smell is sweet and tropically fruity with a dose of graininess. Orange blossoms, papaya and a touch of banana come to mind.

The taste of this beer is fairly unique, does not taste like most BPAs I have had. Seems to have a high level of specialty grains as the maltiness is quite noticeable, has kind of a biscuity and white bread flavor. A fair amount of Belgian yeasty esters, but certainly not an overabundance. Finish has plenty of hop bitterness and maybe a bit too much for the style, but I enjoy drinking this beer and will have no problem finishing off the sixer, makes a nicely priced alternative to some of the pricier Belgians.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked this one up on a rec. from the fellow at my local beer store. I told him i was looking for something to "session" and my buddy did not let me down. This was nothing to write home about, but definately a solid beer to drink alot of w/o sacrificing flavor.

Poured into my trusty New belgium snifter, this one came out with a 2 finger head, good retention and a copper color. also had a great lacing on the way down.

s- apricot/peaches and assorted fruityness upon first whiff, black pepper and possibly some other unidentifiable spice came later.

t - very fruity at first, though not as much as in the nose, spicy and dry finish w/ a very subtle hop bitterness. this beer kind of reminded me of a lesser farmhouse style ale.

mf - slick and smooth, little carb

d- as a said previously i was looking for something to drink a bunch of all night, and that's exactly what i got. overall a solid but not spectacular belgium entry from one of my favorite and local micros, avery has done it again!

4.52/5  rDev +32.9%

I just sampled this beer for the first time at Avery's tasting room in Boulder, CO. The gentleman that poured it for me indicated that this particular batch was a significant improvement over previous batches.

I suppose I am glad to have experienced a superior batch the first time around.

A: Cloudy orange-honey color that seemed to glow when held to a light source. The head poured thin and dissipated within 10 minutes.

S: Honey, slightly yeasty, with hints of dried fruit and a VERY slight hint of horseblanket. No detectable hop aroma.

T: Candy sugar and dried apricot, backed by belgian yeast and an ever-so-slight slight hint of brett and stale hops.

M: I would say medium-bodied. Certainly more substantial than you would expect from a 5.2%ABV beer, but certainly not oily or syrupy. Just a nice medium body.

D: I have read many less positive reviews on this site. Assuming that the quality is maintained in this brew since my first sampling here, then I can say that this can easily become my new favorite session beer (understanding that I am stretching the limits of the word "session")!

It has yeasty bread like aroma with lots of malt with some essence of hops in it. The smell reminds be of raw bread dough. It pours beautiful into my pint glass. It has a very frothy head and thick lace. The foamy is a golden creamy color. The body is a hazy brass color. It has a vegetable and fruit like taste. It is earthy and reminds me a lot of a farmhouse ale.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into some weird looking thing.

A: Pours a nice color like rusty orange or a dark dried apricot.

S: Smells strangely like apricot too, some other unidentifiable fruit. Pretty nice! I was surprised by this one. Hops are there but hidden.

T: The bottle says this beer uses a Belgian yeast, but I can't taste anything "Belgian" about this one to be honest. I really wanted to because Belgians are my favorite by a mile. The finish is my favorite part of this one as it tastes almost exactly like apricots and in a nice way. There is some hoppy bitterness up front that is really refreshing and not at all bitter. Not as good as say a Sierra Nevada, but I don't think they were going for that either.

M: The carbonation was a little high for me, and not as creamy as I'd like, but I do think they did a nice job on this one.

D: I could honestly have 2 or 3 of these 12oz bottles, and maybe even a full 6 pack and be completely happy.

I drank this with some indian cuisine (Chicken Masala) and it went perfectly with it. The hop flavors cut through the strong spicy indian food flavors and complemented my meal nicely. I would recommend this beer, and drink it again.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%

A - In the range of a golden orange color to a light copper...a white fluffy head...nice lacing

S - Sweet smelling...I'd say some candied sugars along with some fruits...a bready aroma as well

T - The first few sips were pretty sweet and the bread/yeast flavor was present...it's what I expected from a Belgian...I left the beer warm up (forgot I was drinking) and the rest of the glass was really good...after warming...hops became present in the beer...I really liked this as the hops were not bitter, but sweet

M - Nothing special here

D - If you're looking for a Belgian...probably not the best representation...but if you are looking for something out of the ordinary...then Karma is what you are looking for

3.22/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Looks like honey, nice dark honey color with a good soapy white head.

S: Fruity smell, primarily apple. Get hints of cherry and lemon, as well as a slight floral smell.

T: Dry. The aftertaste has a dry tartness to it that takes over. Grapefruit and lemon peel - very acidic and slighty astringent. Not much of a hop profile. I don't know if I got a bad bottle, because I almost get a musty feel of it.

M: Dry and carbonated. Almost goes down like a sprite or club soda...a little too fizzy on the tongue for me.

D: I've had this on tap before and don't remember not liking it this much. This beer is a little too dry and astringent for me to drink a few.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A 12 oz bottle from Liquid Solutions.

A: The ale is a golden orange color. The narrower parts of the glass reflect the color of a robust sunset. Ample lacing is the result of a 2 finger head.

S: The nose has some candi sugars and an underlying tartness.

T: Candi sugars, brown sugar and raisins are noticeable on the first sip. That sip alone makes up for the lack of nose. Biscuity malts dry out the sweetness of the fruits. A decent but uninspired ale.

M: The mouthfeel is full, heavy on dark fruits that fill you up quickly. A lighter version of Raison d'Etre.

D: One bottle will be fine for me. Not my favorite Avery offering.

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

Mmmm. Belgian Pale Ale. I'm not a huge Belgian person but I wanted to give this a try.

Super carbonation is already evident from the loud pop the cap makes when i take it off. Pours into my Duvel tulip a little too agressively... damn that carbonation. Was worried the head would spill over but I'm left with a very nice, acceptably large head on top of a squash colored mixture of liquid and jet powered bubbles ofrcing their way up to the top.

Aroma is very alluring. Like blow-pops right out of their wrappers. Very candy like and floral with just a hint of Belgian yeast muskiness. Very delicate still assertively present. Faint hints of metal, but not enough to distract you.

Taste is very palateable for a Belgian pale.. really almost more like an exotic APA than anything. FLoral sweetness overrides most of the Belgian yeast flavors. Some lingering tartness in the back of the mouth. A brett like bitterness too for just that final 10%.. like spoiled crystal malt (but only the finest spoiled crystal malt).

Very medium bodied. That sounds weird but it's extrordinarily neutral. A slight grainy texture to it and you don't particularly feel the big carbontion until you start burping. Nothing's excessively strong here so the drinkability is fantastic.

If this was labeled as an "American Belgian Pale Ale" I think I'd be up to 4.5's for a lot of these. I can see why people don't think as well of this but, for Belgian beginners such as myself, this is a nice intermediate that won't taste like I'm trying to gulp down shoe polish.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Not a beer i'd go for normally, but it arrived as part of a beer club gift, so here goes...

Deeper orange coloration, a flurry of bubbles on the first pour, one finger of foam. Partial ringed lacing, the head fades quickly to a skim and then into a thin ring. The aroma is yeast based, and is a little bit estery. Light and sweet orange note. Tastes like candy orange slices, or even Hawaiian punch, with a biscuit malt in the background. Citrus doesn't seem hop-derived, but there could be some flavor hops in there somewhere. Carbonation is fuzzy upfront with some astringency, and is flat a second later once it hits the palate. Not much complexity, if you're a fan of orange-flavored beer, this may be the session beer for you...

3.22/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Pours a hazy blond with a white foamy head that slowly dissipates.

S - Sort of weak. When my noseholes finally do gobble up the odor, it smells sweet and citrusy.

T - Yeasty, bready, sweet, a hint of citrus.

M - Medium/thin bodied with low carbonation.

Notes - Not a very interesting or powerful aroma. A decent, though not really memorable, beer.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle. Poured clear golden with quick white head, slightly on the watery side. Smelled sweet and fruity. Tasted light and crisp, with boozy notes, slight yeast tinges but not overly yeasty like other belgian styles. Refreshing, crisp beer appropriate for the heat of summer but not really in tune with the other seasons.

Nearly clear copper with a bubbly white head. Weak aroma of yeast and spice. Light taste with mostly yeast, bread, and a faint fruity/citrus taste. Average mouthfeel for the style. Lacking in body or substance that would set this apart as a "Belgian" pale ale. Altogether, this is like a Belgian-lite.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Aroma is somewhat fruity and sweet with a nice blend of hops. Color is a copper brown and the head is average. Wonderful malt character with plenty of bread like yeast flavor and an alcohol kick that I was not expecting in a 5.2% ale. It has a near perfect amount of hops as well. Aftertaste is like citrus and bread. Slightly acidic but otherwise a wonderful ale

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Avery Karma pours a orange amber hue,with a egg shell colored head that looks mediocre,leaves very little lacing. The nose is understated hops and bready malts. I'm having a hard time finding the Belgium inspiration,almost no yeasty flavors. It is lightly sweetened with caramel malts being the backbone,this seems to need a third dimension that is no where to be seen. The hops detected in the nose are just as understated on the pallet. I do taste a slight tangerine sweetness on the tail,tho I don't really enjoy it all that much. The body is appropriate as is the carbonation and finish. I could see this as more drinkable perhaps with a meal. A decent brew and worth a try,just not that special.

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Deep amber with light reddish hues and a somewhat thinnish white head, falling to a ring that leaves some spots of lacing down the glass. Fruit, light caramel and faint citrus hops. Somewhat candy like at times. A bready yeast is also present. Definite sweetness in the taste, a little tea like. Very light Belgian influence with the yeast but not too obvious or similar to a BPA in my book. Just a bit thin in the mouth with a light crispness and nibble on the tongue. A little drying in the finish but early it seems watery. Pretty drinkable overall but there are better brews out there.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

Great taste, smooth feel. My first two out of the six-pack had lots of foam but the rest were better, so I'm not sure what that means. Possibly due to where I bought them?? Either way, I really liked this beer and would recommend it to others as a beer to drink with food and during colder weather (since the first time I drank it in the summer and wished I had something a little lighter!). The name and description on the side suggests something quite light and even "Belgian", however I would put it in a pale ale category for sure since it is heavier.

Good beer. However the last of them lingered in my fridge for awhile. This usually means I don't quite love it and forget about it after drinking most of the pack, but enjoy the last one or two when I see the last of them behind a carton of milk. Bonus!

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

Reviewed 5/2/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a golden red/brownish cloudy color, smallish head, big bubbles, off-white, diminishing. Strong aroma of malts, hops, light perfume/citrus. Don't know how well they all blend together though. Smooth, fruity, flower, citrus. Malty aftertaste. Slighty acidic taste. Medium to light body.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from the bottle a slightly hazy orange-gold with a huge creamy beige head.

Aroma of berries, cloves, Belgian yeast and sweet malts.

The taste is slightly sweet with Belgian yeast, pears, sweet malts, and berries. Light biscuit and a touch of bitterness at the finish.

Medium bodied, dry, and moderately carbonated.

Quite drinkable but nothing outstanding with this Belgian pale.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy consistency. There was a decent amount of foamy head. Average lacing.

S: Not an overpowering smell, to say the least. Malt, spices and some light fruit.

T: Surprisingly thin taste. Malt, yeast, spices, but a curiously simple flavor. Fairly uninteresting.

M: A pretty high amount of carbonation and a slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: It's definitely a difficult thing to recreate a Belgian-style beer in the U.S., that much we know. This one just doesn't come close. It's not the worst beer I've ever had, but I certainly expected better.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Dark orange in color with a cloudy clarity. The head is one of those great ones that Avery's always seen to have. About an inch deep, fluffy and thick that melts away at it's own pace leaving a hearty amount of lacing. Malt and yeasty are the main scents with slight notes of honey, pepper and green apple but none of them really jump out.
With the malt taking the lead in the taste the honeyish characteristics come out more in the flavor grabbing right on tight to it. As the beer warms touches of vanilla show up and there's a light hop and pepper qualities in the semi dry finish. As a whole a little more complexity would be cool but it has enough to make it interesting.

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%

12 oz bottle poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Karma is a pale orange brown with a very large, off-white head, fluffy and long lasting, very rocky as it slooowly settled, leaving big hunks of foam. Authentic, rustic farmhouse for sure, down to the suspended particles.

Smell is all fruity esters, tangerine and lime, some spiciness as well.

Taste is estery as well, but it really brings out the malt, caramel and bread, a bit of a hoppy bite that flirts with metal but I think is just the yeast for which this beer is a showcase. Really pretty nice, I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone, the fruity tang is pleasantly familar, and one of the reasons I really enjoy this style of farmhouse, a darker saison on the beire de garde.

Mouthfeel is on the thinner side, attenuated by the dry finish.

Drinkability is pretty high, although I only had the one bottle, this would be a great choice for BBQs, thirst quenching, enough flavor to stand up to grilled food, and what it's Belgian brethren lack, value packaged. If I hadn't been drinking my homebrewed saison all summer, I would have probably leaned on this. I really dig such full flavor and reasonable ABV.

Karma Belgian Style Pale Ale from Avery Brewing Company