Karma Belgian Style Pale Ale | Avery Brewing Company

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap via a kegerator sixtel. It appeared a clear gold with a white head. It's not terribly Belgian by taste. The beer is a very smooth, almost creamy, blonde ale, with fruity undertones. Leffe, for example, has a crisp edge to the flavor that this lacks. Karma's a clear crowd-pleaser, but don't be expecting a something out of Brussels.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%

APPEARANCE: The color is very nice, a deep, dark orange. Minimal lacing disappears quickly and not much lacing develops.

SMELL: Very citrusy with a solid dose of grassiness as well. Some light breadiness and a little sweet malt is also noticeable.

TASTE: The taste and aroma do not match up much at all with the exception of some lemon and grapefruit in the taste. Tart, green apple is the more dominant flavor here along with a little spice and sour to finish it off.

MOUTHFEEL: Light in body with a mild pucker that shows up towards the end of the sip. Early on, it is crisp, clean and quite sparkly. Also, the pucker subsides as the beer warms.

OVERALL: This is a good, but not great beer. It is a much more conservative effort than I'm used to from Avery, but for some that may be a good thing.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

On tap at lazy Dog in Boulder, CO. Pours orange with white, long lasting head. Aroma is of caramel malt, apples and hint of hops. Body is full and crisp. Caramel, earthy hops, candy sugar and yeast fill the mouth. Finish is short and semi-dry. Just Ok brew to me.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

With the increasing prowess of American brewers, we're getting more and more examples of well done belgian ales. That aside, it's still nice to be able to get one that isn't a complete disaster. This one isn't really bringing great flavor character, and it's kind of soapy, but it's still an easy drinker and not too bad.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a light yellow color with a white head and not much lacing.

Aromas begin with some bready malt, hints of floral and earthy hops, as well as a bit of Belgian yeast.

The tastes brings a bit of spice along with pale, doughy malt and a bit of floral bitterness. Yeast esters become more apparent as it warms.

The mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation. Finish is a bit heavy for the ABV due to the lower than normal carbonation for the style.

Overall this is a decent beer but comes across more like a Blonde than a Belgian Pale Ale. Really one of Avery's weaker offerings in my opinion. Forgettable and no reason to revisit anytime soon.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

The pour is amber in color with a thin off-white head. Spices are the first thing I notice on the aroma. Coriander, clove, and nutmeg are there. A bit of apple and pear, but sort of watery. Some sweet malt and sugar in the background. Mostly spices on the palate, but noticeably watery. A little bit of malt sweetness, some hints of citrus peel, and that’s about it. What’s there is enjoyable, but it’s too watered down.

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

I picked up a bottle of Avery's Karma a few days ago for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I liked all the beers that I have had from Avery so far, so when I saw one that I hadn't tried yet I thought I should give it a shot, plus I like Belgian Pale Ales, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage, Limited Release. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's nicely done and it sticks out a little. It poured a slightly orange amber color that took on a darker amber and orange color when held to the light. It had two and half fingers worth of head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing. This beer looks ok, but it's pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off fairly sweet with some nice malts that impart some light grainy, caramel and brown bread aromas. Next comes some candied sugar along with a pretty fruity aroma with some apples, plums, and pears. After that I get a slight spice aroma from the yeast followed by a light orange peel aroma. I like the aroma, but it just isn't as balanced as some of the best in the style.

T- The taste isn't all that similar to the aroma, it starts off with some some medium sweet malts that only impart a mild grainy, biscuity, and bread crust flavors. In the middle I get a real light orange rind flavor followed by a really light amount of spicy yeast. Towards the end I get a noticeable amount of hops that are mainly earthy and give this beer a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a grainy and biscuit like aftertaste. I was disappointed with the taste of this beer, is was a real let down compared to the aroma and was much more like an average American Pale Ale than a Belgian Pale Ale.

M- Smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but it was a little over carbonated which made it feel a little prickly.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that It wasn't a good example of the style and an average beer at best, it was going in the right direction till it got to the taste which was more similar to an APA, not a BPA. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, but it was over carbonated and the taste really didn't hold my interest, one is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were equally good and were pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was the taste and the carbonation, the taste wasn't true to style and the carbonation was a little out of hand. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it doesn't deliver as advertised, and I can't say I would recommend it. This was my first beer from Avery that I didn't care for, this brewery is pretty solid, but this beer turned out to be a rare miss for me from them, I just don't think this beer did the style justice, I am still down to try more of their beers, but so far this is my least favorite beer from them and one of my least favorite Belgian Pale Ales, better luck next time guys.

4.25/5  rDev +25%