Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

IBUs: 65

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Reviews: 1,199 | Ratings: 3,092
4.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I consider Avery's IPA to be one of the most agreeable and imminently drinkable IPAs on the market. Having recently enjoyed several Avery IPA on tap in Denver and at different venues, I was struck by the consistency of the beer. The color was golden; the beer head was firm, though it tended to dissolve faster than other IPAs I have had. The aroma was dominated by hops, though not overpowering. The flavor was remarkable consistent during the entire beer.
The 6.5% ABV is not as high as some other IPAs; nor is this beer dominateds by an alcohol flavor.
One of the best, everyday IPAs!

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

Found myself up in Asheville last night, (Beerfly reviews forthcoming) and stopped in a fine little BBQ establishment on the strip. Ordered my beer before dinner, as per usual. Didn't know what to get out of the 75 or so bottles they had, but then I remebered I had not ever tried Avery IPA(I can hardly believe it myself). So I figured what the ell and ordered up a bottle. A very nice looking bottle came out, nice old style map on the front gave it a "worldly" look. Please and ready to start I dove in straight away.

Poured a reasonably clear, after some settling, orange amber color. Lots of visible carbonation. A very nice one inch white head graced the top of the glass. This faded in a couple minutes, receding into a thin film along the top that stayed with the beer till the very end. Nice residual lace in rings down the glass as the session went on. Had a decently thick appearence for an IPA and definatly looked the part.

The smell was a citrus and sugar hop bomb. Overwhelming smell of orange and tangerine overpowered just about everything else. A slight hint of sugar could be detected a well, giving it the orange popsickle kinda tone. Hints of grapefruit of pineapple bitterness could be picked up as well as the smell of fresh grass. Exactly what I would have wanted my IPA to smell like.

Diving right in my first impression was holy hops! Bigtime grapefruit and orange peel were so pronounced I could just sit there and smile. A touch of sweetness rounded out the initial feel with a dry bitter finish that left me yearning for another sip. Very clean and crisp feel, gave this the feel of a finished product and something that has been mastered. Great carbonation on the feel gave it the silky, rolling smoothness that I crave in a good brew. A tiny bit of a earthy, grainy malt tried to force its way through the full frontal hop assault. Very nice tasting IPA, quite impressed with the flavor.

Overall I have to give this one pretty marks. It really was exactly what I wanted at that time and did not dissapoint at all. It was your classic west coast hop bomb of an IPA, and that is something that I just love. Definatly a winner from Avery, a damn fine finish brew.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

A: Pours into the glass with a nice fluffy white 1 finger head that dissipates rather fast and leaves a nice lace.

S: Lots and lots of hops, very citrusy. Exactly what most IPAs smell like. Smells great! Great background of grainy malt.

T: Lots of citrus hops and a nice bready undertone. Not too toasty. Grainy malt is perfect - brings in just enough strong barley to back up the strong hops. Not too sweet at all - has a very light grapefruit flavor.

M: Light body - not a filling beer. Carbonation good. Non-astringent for the most part. Pretty oily.

D: Great drinker, especially if one likes a light flavored, light bodied IPA. Would go great with a meal.

4.66/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: hazy gold liquid... huge sudsy off-white head - 1/4" cap till end, good bit of lace (even on a less-than-beer-clean glass.... unfiltered and just lovely

S: resiny hops - lots of hops.... toasted cereal/grain... baked pineapple, grapefruit, tropical undertones, honey, crust of fresh-baked bread.... bold and beautiful, absolutely mouth-watering.... a scent I dream of

T: super-smooth blend of pale malt and hops up front, finishing with a floral, mellow citrus bitterness and alcohol warmth.... shortbread late in aftertaste.... the taste doesn't explode quite as much as the aromas suggest.... bold and refined, nonetheless

M: cottony-soft and feathery-light - like drinking a liquid wool blanket... citrus oil, silky-nectary... wow! perfect, ideal

O: this is the kind of IPA I long for.... reminds me a bit of Victory Hop Wallop (with less alcohol) or maybe Union Jack... stellar and quaffable

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Cotton foam with great lacing. Golden in color.

Smell: Caramel and pine. Very simple, but it smells like Colorado and is close to perfect.

Taste/Mouthfeel: See smell. A bit too thin, but not flat.

Overall: One of the best IPAs. Extremely nostalgic.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Avery IPA pours a light copper color with a slightly hazy body. Incredible lacing rules the glass. Smell is a 5 because the hops are so pungent. Based off of that there is almost no way that there can be a letdown with the taste. As expected there is not. I am really digging the hops blend here and the result is an explosion of flavor. Citrus notes, especially grapefruit are apparent. The chinook hops are more passive here which is fine with me. This one is not offensive at all in terms of mouthfeel and the aftertaste is clean. It leaves you wanting another sip immediately. I'd have to say that this is one of the better IPAs that I have encountered in awhile.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

My favorite beer overall. A relatively hoppy beer, and definately not for everyone, but if you like hops, you will love this beer.

Living in the east it is fairly hard to come by. Lately I have only been able to find it in cans at Table & Vine in West Springfield, MA

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured a medium golden color with a small head that melted to thick lacing. (poured too cold, BTW).
Aroma is immediately bright and clean WONDERFUL citrus hops....bright lemon and oranges with the tinest of pine or spruce. I could smell this one from 3 feet away...it was wonderful.
Taste doesn't disappoint...crisp, bright, fresh citrus hops melting slowly to a slight grapefruit finishing bitterness.
This is VERY drinkable and refreshing ... perfect summer session beer.

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

The first brew I ever sampled from Avery was their White Rascal, and I loved it... this brew just about matches it, if not better... appearance was exceptonal... very cloudy and hazy with a nice frothy head whose unexpectedly light color slightly resembled a wheat beer or hefe... Smell was great, full of bittersweet hops combined with citrus and grapefruit... taste complemented the aroma, with a bitter-sweet finish combined with grapefruit, citrus, and hops... flavor was slightly sweeter than usual for an IPA, which I really liked... this is perhaps one of the best IPA's I've ever tried... a great brew, Definitely recommended...

Glass - Tulip

A - Hazy orange color with a 2-finger head, sorta pillow like. Head retention is very good, a bit of spots left on the tulip for the lacing.

S - Wonderfully dry & floral with a nice citrus, orange/mango/pineapple fruit basket! Very nice dose of pine in there as well, malts are subdued as I can pick up just a touch of toast, but it really opens up more as it warms.

T - Wow, very very flowery here, quite a punch of it upfront with pine, and orange & mango fruits closely following. Bitterness is definitely there from beginning to end with a burnt bitter note that lingers. Malts aren't pronounced until it warms a bit, I get toast with a bit of caramel, it really helps to balance this beer.

M - Very smooth with a soft bite of carbonation, slightly chewy & slick and around medium-full bodied.

D - Ive had many many IPA's and this one impressed me with it's potency, it's got such a great flowery hop punch for the ABV! I'll definitely buy this one again, very drinkable coming in at 6.3%. I definitely recommend this American IPA. Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Bottle obtained from the brewery and consumed later that evening. Pours a finger and a half white (well, somewhat yellow) fluffy head that's just hanging around clinging and sticking This beer is crystal clear and dark macro colored. Dark golden, like the flesh inside of a peach or plum. Smells...oh, amarillo hops. How I've missed you...why did I bother reviewing so many non-IPA beers these past couple months before returning to you. Oranges, tangerine, some pith, underlying fruity sweet. As an ex-smoker, when I pass by someone smoking a cigarette, the smell is mostly disgusting. But, there is just one catching sweetness in that air that almost makes me turn my head. I get that smell in the hop aroma of this beer. Deliciously dangerous.

Tastes divine. Hoppy flavors nicely balanced with, perhaps dominating, the hop bitter and supported by an underlying sweet. Wonderful burp, iron and grapefruit pith. Second taste starts grapefruit pith with oranges. The swallow is all oranges with hop bitter and some co-humulone roughness. The oranges settle leaving a rough aftertaste in the back of the throat with a malt sweet persisting on the flat of my tongue, as well as a hint of grapefruit pith. Ha, and I thought this beer would be a quickie 3.8 session beer review. Okay, so the hops are oranges, grapefruit pith, a bit of iron, and some tangerine. Searching for esters I get very little, maybe some apricot. BTW, it's been at least 15 minutes (the beer is warmed) and there is still a half finger of head. What else to look for...malts. Malts are much beneath the hops but provide a sweetness that fill the beer. A hint of honey. Alcohol flavor and burn is absent. Md body, but really lusious and velvety in the mouth. Carbonation is md-heavy, a bit too much, IMO. Lacing on the inside of my glass is astounding. It's a sheet of white bubble plastered on the far side of my glass. Drinkable?...yes. I'm a beer explorer and just don't see the purpose of trying a beer a second time. Honestly, I suspect I'll stop into the brewery to pick up this beer on my way home from work enough to make it a semi-regular in my life. Thank goodness the brewery is on the road between work and home.

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Golden, no fade, it is very clear up to light. Full foam, great head appearance.

S - Nothing overpowering, very light malty, citrus aroma. Great attractive smell.

T - Distinct hoppiness with the back up of the citrus. Carries well, makes my tongue tingle and finishes with a light bitterness.

M - Light creamy presence, again light, med body. Good feel.

O - Great beer. Was pleasently surprised with the smell and taste. Worth a trip back to the store for more.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from can into 16 ounce snifter.
Look: Very clear lighter color, no pulp.
Smell: Very earthy with lots of citrus.
Taste: Immediate grapefruit, with lots of citrus. Very bitter up front, sits on the tongue well.
Feel: Fills your mouth, very crisp.
Overall: Great IPA would highly recommend, if you don't like bitter grapefruit to your beer this ones not for you.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is heavy with hops bitterness and fruity citrus sweetness, with a touch of malt in the background.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of floral hops, then a nice balance comes from a hearty malt character and mild flavors of citrus and caramel. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

O: Very tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, excellent representation of style, decent kick, it’s flavorful enough that you can keep drinking for a long time without looking for something else. This is definitely a beer that I would stick with for a whole evening.

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%

I had this beer on tap and I loved it, so I thought I would give the bottle a try.

It's a golden straw colored beer. Nice, soft white head. Great fine lacing and head retention.

The smell is great. Almost an Elder Flower - really beautiful and fragrant. It's powerful. You can tell that it is going to be hop forward.

The taste is a great mix of the floral and grassy hop with a hefty piney bite. Lovely. It start with more malt caramel but goes quickly into the hop and bitter hop finish. The floral comes back in on the aftertaste.

Fuller than expected - feel creamy smooth. Medium body and medium carbonation that is gentle on the palate.

I just love this IPA. The profile and progression just work really well for me personally. Simple and well done.

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%

I first encountered Avery's brewing style at a Stout tasting event. When I sipped the Out of Bounds Stout, I said "Wow, a stout with HOPS". Being a hophead, I kept returning to that brew all evening, through all the malty, sweet, and roasty flavors.

So when I saw the Avery IPA at my bev-store, I grabbed... and I was rewarded.

The bottle's label design, with its map of the sailing route from England to India, wins my admiration.

This brew is golden to straw colored with a healthy off-white head. After the glass was empty, the lacing was coarse, reticulate, and nice. The nose is an aggressive burst of citrus hops with unmistakable, unappologetic grapefruit aroma. The taste follows the nose and adds a pleasant bitterness that is not overwhelming and fades rather than lingers in the finish. The carbonation is not shy and makes for a refreshing mouthfeel, with only the slightest carbohydrate-derived stickiness.

For me, this ale was the first that just shouted "grapefruity hops". Because I like this light, bright hop variety, I rate the drinkability very high; this brew could be my favorite IPA in a bottle. I would love to find this ale on tap. Do I have to plan a trip to Boulder to find it?

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is an orange-gold color with a thick, two fingered bubbly head. The smell is a nice bouquet of grassy/citrusy hops, a bit of spice and a touch of sweet malt. The taste is also quite hoppy, very well balanced though and only slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy, very enjoyable. Overall I must say that this is an excellent IPA, not the most extreme mind you, but very well done and drinkable. As it says on the bottle "yeah it is!"

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte

Pours a solid light copper color ith a 1" head. The head itself is very rocky, and produces lots of lacing as the brew is consumed.

The smells is a gorgeous citrus hop. Deep and crisp at the same time... absolutely phenomenal.

Nice balanced citrus hop flavour. Combination of lemon, oranges, and lots of peach. Fantastic.

Moderately thick and moderately carbonated. Crisp, yet subtle. Perfect.

Very drinable, but for an IPA a bit too bitter. If I was reviewing this as a DIPA, it would certainly rank higher.

Far and away my favourite Avery beer.... this is simply a wonderful IPA that can easily compete with HopDevil and 60min.

4.56/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours brilliant gold under a white foam cap. Very piney aromas with grass, herbs and mint. Fruit palate emphasizes citrus with pine and herbal hops over light grain. Medium body and carbonation. Very drinkable and refreshing.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

At about 70 IBU's, this wonderfully dry IPA is light and crisp on the pallet. The color is golden. You can smell the hops. And as I said earlier, dry and crisp on the pallet. easy drinkability. To easy if you know what I mean. I recommend this Avery product to who ever is looking for this style of beverage.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

A - A golden amber color. Great head retention and lace on the glass. Impressive.

S - Very hoppy, as expected. But sweet aromas. Maybe hints of citrus.

T - Excellent. This has more of the piney bitter hops taste. Grapefruit

M - Well carbonated and packs a punch. Very nice.

D - Very high. Excellent American IPA. Very good, will be drinking this again soon. Maybe right now.

4.54/5  rDev +17%

Beautiful golden color with a nice ivory colored lace that follows to the end of the glass. With a floral/grapefruity flavor this beer is easily drinkable and something I could never tire of easily. A super hoppy and refreshing beer that carries flavor throughout.Has a bit of a skunky bite towards the end and a flavor that will stick with your palate for a bit. A great and light IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased out of curiosity. I've had just about all of Avery's year round product line before, but i was relatively new to the craft beer world at the time i tried most of them. As time went on i tried the majority of Avery's other products, including seasonal and imperials. My palate matured, and my awareness of the craft beer world evolved. I have been reading the reviews of their year round brews and they are quite respectable. So, i figured i would give Avery the respect it deserves, and reassess the Avery line-up.

Okay, here's the actual review. I purchased this sixer along with a sixer of Two-Hearted at Publix. Nine and ten dollars, respectively.

Appearance is very light gold in hue, almost the same color as Anchor's Liberty ale. Giant bubbles comprise the single-finger head. Not much lacing, but does leave a spattering of bubbles in it's wake.

Smell great. Citrus notes dominate. Very juicy, makes my mouth water.

Tastes much the same. Juicy bitter hops. Orange citrus taste. Not malty at all. This is a playful, hoppy, thirst busting IPA. I had it with the Two-Hearted, and they reminded me of one another.

Mouthfeel is exactly what you would expect from a solid IPA. Zingy and refreshing.

Drinkability is phenomenal. An IPA for the ages. Who says IPAs have to be balanced to be great? Buy as many as you can drink. A wonderful beer, maybe a new staple in my fridge.

Draught @ Papago Brewery
The beer an unclouded amber to copper color as it sets in the glass, the head is mountainous in size, creamy in texture with the color a beauteous light tan, the lace a diaphanous skirt to hide the glasses charms. Nose is dominated by the hop floral spiciness, cotton candy sweet, malt laden and a magnificent treat for the olfactory senses, start is ambrosial, nice malt presence; the top is moderate in its feel to the palate. Finish is pesky in its acidity; the hops steal the show with their spiciness, droughty aftertaste that lingers on the palate, “WOW”! Another winner from this most magnificent brewery, that has climbed into my top three favorite breweries, right there with Stone and Alesmith, a must try for you hop heads and its now available here in bottles.

4.54/5  rDev +17%

Nice 1/ inch creamy off white head with great retention and lacing. Glowing in the glass with a translucent honey amber color.

If you like fruit,especially citrus and tropical flavors this is a good IPA for you. I detect strong tangerine, mango and pineapple aromas. I also note distant peach. The menagerie of fruit is complemented by honeyed herbal tea. Delicate floral qualities and mild spice are also present. The malts are like fresh doughy bread.

The hops are the main event in this IPA. I taste an ale that is complex and characteristic. Imagine comforting roasted biscuit backed by warming resinous tropical hop flavors.

The hop profile is alluring both fruity and slightly sticky and bitter. The studied malt backbone enhances the drinking experience.

This sweet and refreshing beer ends with a strong bitterness. I consider this to be one of the best IPA's i've ever had. I wish it was more widely available in my area.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company