Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American IPA

IBUs: 65

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Reviews: 1,195 | Ratings: 3,063
2.77/5  rDev -28.6%

Dark and cloudy, looks kind of like unfiltered heavy apple cider. Strong hop taste but not overpowering, not too complex as you can't really taste much except the hops (maybe a wee bit of malt), smooth and drinkable however it hits you with a bit of a delayed aftertaste, heavily bitter. A good beer, except for...the smell. I'm sure it's just me, and I tried to stay objective on this, but the smell of these hops reminded me of a cat-piss stain we used to have in the corner of our living room in San Diego. Smells like ammonia, or as CheeseWheel put it "an old man's couch after too many accidents." Mouthfeel was great, more noticeable probably since I was holding my nose. I tried to shake this but just couldn't, it really detracted from my drinking experience but hopefully not yours, if you are a hop-head that picks this up and thinks it smells great you'll probably like it.

2.79/5  rDev -28.1%

I wasn't impressed by this beer as much as other reviewers were. I thought it delivered a pretty good wallop of bitterness in the taste, but it was unaccompanied by all the flavors that I think make IPAs different and delicious, like pine, citrus, floral notes, or candy. This is just a hop shot, which I don't feel deserves an elite rating.

Apppearance was pretty good. It poured a pale amber (compared to other IPAs I've had recently) with a very good amount of head.

Aroma was not bad, but struck me as being nearly non-existent.

Taste is a blast of hop bitterness, without any accompaniment of other flavors, making this beer lack, for a better word, harmony.

Mouthfeel was appropriate, and all-in-all, I thought this beer was OK, but not great.

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The appearance was mediocre but turned out to be the best attribute. Dark golden and clear. The smell was a little hoppy but nothing special. The taste in particular was nothing to write home about. It could've been much hoppier, and honestly there was little malt presence as well. The most understated IPA flavor yet for me. I cannot recommend.

2.85/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. The color is a slightly cloudy dark blond...kind of a light shade for an IPA. I'm used them a little more orangey. Thin head that fades fast, leaving a thinner layer of bubbly on top. A few areas of lace. The first thing I smell is lemons, which is good because I like lemons. Nice hop presence in the nose as well. The taste...wow...very bitter...almost like chewing on a lemon rind. The lemony bitterness dominates the hops that are trying to come though. It almost makes me want to grind my teeth. The taste needs more hops and better balance. It's a medium mouthfeel that goes down easy, aside from the bitter aftertaste. I'll finish the six pack but can't see myself buying this again, though I'd drink it if it were there.

2.86/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at the Tap and Mallet in Rochester, NY.

This one pours a clear light amber, with a small head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like caramel malts, pine, and light grapefruit. It's not a super bold aroma, unfortunately.

This is only like 6.5% ABV, but it's some got a bit of booziness to it, which is perplexing and disappointing. There's a definite noticeable malt backbone, and it seems to be stronger than the hops themselves. The beer is too sweet, with very little hop flavor, only a bit of pine and grapefruit, which is typical. Pretty meh for me.

This is medium bodied, pretty crisp, but not incredibly so.

A lower tier IPA for sure, here.

2.92/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear golden with little head and no lacing. Almost no detectable aroma. A Budweiser initial taste followed by a very bitter aftertaste. Poorly balanced and thin. Avery can make a delicious IPA (See Avery 20th Aniversary IPA). In fairness, this IPA seems to be widely variable from one 6-pack to another. It is not a big seller and I suspect that it is sometimes quite old. Not the best IPA.

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

Can date: unk

A: Pours a golden on amber ale with a single finger of whitish head. Excellent clarity, with a centralized column of bubbles. A sheet of the same head is resonant.

S: Some citric rinds, grass, mint (slightest hint), biscuity malts and little else. A little oxidized smelling. Pretty standard.

T: Bitter, some fruity flavors which a subtly painted over a sweet malt profile and some resiny hops. Meh.

M: Medium bodied and sharp carb that dies out quickly. Sticky finish. Wish the finish had a little slickness to it.

O: I really wish the can was dated. As I drink it now, it is nothing special. Really an average IPA and a subpar mouthfeel for me.

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

aroma: piney, resiny hops dominate the nose. (Wish there was more citrus and freshness here).

pour: light orange amber brown, super clear with thin off-white head.

taste: begins mild and slightly sweet, then the hops kick in with similar characteristics to the nose: pine and resin. Finish is dry, but the after-taste is not very nice (it's kind of piney, but it's really harsh and unpleasant).

mouthfeel: medium body with some light lacing forming on the glass.

drink: medium-low to low. The harsh aftertaste makes this more difficult to gulp and enjoy.

overall: and okay IPA. Not worth the money, there are much better IPA's out there.

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The appearance of this brew is grand in my Michael Jackson approved tasting glass. A light copper with striking clarity & a head of superb retention. Mountains of lacing line the sides of the glass as you work your way to the end.

Smell is a blast of citrus hops and a touch of malt. Taste is like grapefruit juice, except soapy Leaves a downright musky aftertaste. Feel is unremarkable, aside from the lingering bitterness. Drain pour.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Light orange and hazy with a slight white head.

Smell: A hop aroma but not as much as other IPA's. Also a nice citrus note.

Taste: More hops in the taste than in the smell for sure. A hint of citrus with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium coarse with a dry feel on the palate.

Overall: Good IPA but not in my top 5. I did like the hop and citrus tones.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

335ml Can. Shaker glass. Bright golden color headed by white, close & lasting crown. Floral notes, slight salty nuts to the nose & underneath smoke. Light malty upfront followed by gentle bitterness. Light to medium body. Moderate to high carbonation. Oily texture & funny palate. Citric astringency lingers into a long bitter finish. Fruity aftertaste.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

vacation tommorow = andy's corner bar (bogata, nj) for a growler tonight! ($12)

eyes...
very light brown hue, one finger of densely packed white head (mostly micro bubbles), very clingy, no carbonation rising up from below, a decent enough looking brew with points added for lacing.

nose...
mellowed out cirtus hops mixed with slight caramel tones, a slight astringent tone (but pleasant), peanuts.. oh wait, let me move those...
pretty much your typical IPA.. nothing special.

taste etc...
a nice crisp bitterness, even a little resiny, medium to light bodied, carbonation is a bit lacking for me, it almost is a bit too flat tasting. it coats decently enough, the bitterness is quite nice but it seems lacking in overall flavor punch.. something is missing. it is not bad or anything just very average.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Nice looking beer with a nice head that dissipates slowly and a sweet/bitter hoppy aroma.

For me, that's where the fun ends. I didn't care for this beer. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beer. I just don't think it's for me. I also may be biased from the awesome Mad Elf I had prior to this one. In any case, the beer is smooth, with a nice hop bitterness, but it has a hoppy aftertaste that detracts from its smoothness.

Otherwise, the beer is excellent and nice interpretation of the style.

Avery- IPA

Appearance- light orange/ brown with a thin but heavy lacing head.
Smell- pungent hop. The smell reminds me of a perm ( you know the hair style)
Taste- strong unripe hops, sweet and piney.
Mouthfeel- sweet and bitter.

Overall- Although I didn't think this IPA wasn't anything special it had more flavor than alot of IPA's I've tried. Good try. Just not my cup of tea.

Poured in Ommegang chalice. Mediocre head. An avaerage IPA with average hops and malts. So... average. I would get this as a subsitute for other IPAs, mainy because of the low cost.

Overall... an OK beer. I would probably get it against because of its low cost, but I'm not going crazy over it.

A nice golden orange pour with a medium sized white head. Aroma of citrus, pine, and sweetness from the malt. The flavor was bitter grapefruit and sweet malts, maybe a tad too much for me, but still an enjoyable IPA. Would like to try more from Avery.

3.01/5  rDev -22.4%

It appears this brew has been around for quite a while, but this is the first I have found it in my market. Having lived in Ft. Collins many years ago, I was really excited to try this Avery. However, I am quite underwhelmed. The aroma is bready, slightly floral, with a bit of orange and pine. For an IPA it is more sweet than I had expected. The finish is very sharp, more so than I am used to, but not in a good way. I doubt I will be purchasing this one again. I give it a rank of around 40 in my top 50 IPAs (i.e. #3 IPA shelf).

3.02/5  rDev -22.2%

App: Little white head on top of clear golden body. A lot of carbonation present, yet the head reduces to nothing fairly quickly. I prefer a little more foam on my IPA's.

Smell: Definitely a hop attack of piney and earthy hops. There's no sense of a malt background here. It's a little flowery too. I personally like fruity hops a little more, but this is an enticing smell although rather one dimensional due to the lack of any malt background.

Taste: Much like the smell with piney, earthy hops. Not my favorite for an IPA, but I can see how some would like it a lot. There isn't much going on and not much in the taste to make me want to drink more of it, but a pint is a good amount.

Mouthfeel: Quite bitter without the body to balance. The carbonation cuts the bitterness a little, but doesn't do much to really balance the beer. It's extremely light bodied and may be a bit overdone as far as the bitterness goes.

Drinkability: I wouldn't go back to this. It's a fairly standard piney IPA with a lot of hops and not much else to help it stand out.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a SA Perfect Pint glass. Appears a golden color with a beautiful amber tint. Has a nice foamy white head that sticks around for a while and leaves good lacing.

Smell is definitely hoppy. Lots of citrus aromas, and I get a little bit of malt underneath as well. The taste is definitely on the bitter side of unbalanced, but it is enjoyable. There is a decent bread flavor underneath, but it doesn't jump out and is not a strong presence in the flavor. There is an unappealing bitter aftertaste left after each sip, but it doesn't stay around for too long. Something just doesn't seem right in the aftertaste here.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with an above average level of carbonation. This would be very drinkable due to it's lighter mouthfeel and great flavors, but the odd aftertaste takes away from that. Otherwise, I could drink this all day.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Draft on special at Four Moon Tavern in Chicago.

Arrives in a nonic pint, slow upward moving bubbles make their way through the clear golden ale. Some lacing at first that doesn't stick around. Head dissipates in time as well.

Pale malt aroma, with a vague piney hop presence. It's a stretch to pull out that much, and this is supposedly a fresh draft sample.

Bitter hops up front, citrusy becoming herbal, and dry in the finish. As it warms, there's a cereal grain quality like puffed wheat or rice. Bleh. Slightly syrupy mouthfeel, that isn't balanced by the taste. One-dimensional bitterness becomes tiresome halfway through. Alcohol presence doesn't help either, and soon enough, water is needed to cleanse the palate.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Nice creamy white head, very good head retention. Nice foam rings around the glass. The IPA is slightly hazy and has a apricot color. You get an average dose of hops that gives way to a slight note of citrus and finishes with a hoppy after taste. I would say this is a very average IPA. Not disappointed but not overly impressed. Prost!

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

12 oz brown bottle, no freshness date. Pours a clear light yellowish copper with a pretty nice white head, settles to a layer of large bubbles and leaves spit ball wads of lacing inside the glass. Aroma is ver y good, hoppier than all hell, oily pine/cirus/herbal/ and floral a funny pungent smell like bleu cheese. Medium bodied, oily texture. Pretty sweet up front with some fruity notes, then the palate is hit with some heavy hops, juicy pine and citrus tastes like some columbus and simcoe. Finish is pretty bitter, with a bit of an aspirin aftertaste and a pine resin dryness. Looks good, Smells pretty good, Not crazy about that aspirin bitterness.

Cheers!

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured in Spiegelau IPA glass. I'm personally partial to citrusy hops. This brew is heavy on floral/pine hops, light on citrus with a long lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall an average IPA. Nothing memorable or unique that would make me buy another 6 pack.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

It pours golden-orange with a thick white head, making for a promising opening. Things hold up fairly well in the smell, with citrusy hops dominating almost completely. The decline continues in earnest in the taste. Grapefruit hoppiness is strong and not well-supported by the weak malt backbone. The overall impression is just flat and a bit boring for an IPA. It also seems just a bit thin for an IPA. Maybe I have an inherent aversion to Avery products.

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Appears in my pint a glowing hazed golden orange burst of sunshine with an overcast of cloudy white foam above it, leavng trails of speckled lacing with each sip. Aromatic qualities to be enjoyed come in the form of vinous hops that give off citrus tones with a mellow crisp malt profile not too bad at all. Taste however throws a curveball at me, much more pronounced grapefruit like characteristics with the finish containing almost no malt sweetness but the rind of a citrus fruit overly bitter in the finish lacking the balance I search for and adore. Mouthfeel: Spritzy medium bodied IPA, not bad. Drinkability: Gets shot down due to unbalance why does my mouth taste like I'm chewing on an orange peel this is pissing me off.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company