Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Ratings: 3,127 |  Reviews: 1,206

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

A nice golden orange pour with a medium sized white head. Aroma of citrus, pine, and sweetness from the malt. The flavor was bitter grapefruit and sweet malts, maybe a tad too much for me, but still an enjoyable IPA. Would like to try more from Avery.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle poured into a stemless tulip pint. Bottling date 2.11.12.

Look- Medium amber/straw with three fingers of loose eggshell head that falls fairly quickly to a craggy cap, leaving a dense web of lace.

Smell- Lemony, with a backdrop of light biscuit and a hint of resin. As it warms a bit, the citrus zest gets stronger and is joined by a touch of something flowery. Very nice.

Taste- Starts citrusy and grassy, before quickly mellowing out to a graham-cracker-like malty showing on the swallow, with just a hint of grapefruit clinging on throughout. Finish is lightly bitter and tealike, but fairly nondescript. Well-balanced and tasty, but restrained.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full body for the style, feels pretty substantial. Crisp-ish on the sip, mildly dry finish. Fairly easy drinking, but would probably feel cleaner if it was colder.

Overall- Pretty good, better than I was expecting, in fact. Certainly not the best IPA I've had, but it hits all the right notes for an American IPA without being too bold. I'll look for it on tap.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Wow, what a surprise! I didn't have high expectations for this beer, but was overwhelmed! This is a GREAT IPA! I think this is also my first IPA tasted from a can, to a glass. It was very enjoyable! Probably a medium smell of citrus and hops, and a nice hoppy beer.
Just a great beer, and one that I will now try and stock quite consistently at home.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

This was a pleasant surprise for me. Enjoyed on a visit to Boulder, and Avery was actually the only brewery in the area I didn't get to in person, so I snagged a 6 pack on my way back from business meetings on the company dime. Oops.

This was a pleasant surprise, as being a notorious hophead, I tend to prefer to the double IPAs versus the normal company line. But this is one of the better 'regular release' IPAs I've had.

Quirky note, I left the sixer on the counter, out of the fridge, while going through three bottles. It may be of interest that in my opinion, the beer got better as it warmed.

Enjoyed as a bottle in a standard pint glass.

A- Like an IPA should be. A golden, vibrant, almost peachy color...you can almost tell it it'll have a citrus undertone from looking at it. Skips the chill haze...the warmer version was actually more hazy than the fridge-temp bottle. Plenty of carbonation leaves a lasting, thick head. Too quick a pour will leave you waiting to pour the final 2-3 oz until you've had a few sips.

S- Citrus...mostly grapefruit. This was all I smelled in the 'cold' version...however as the beer warmed I definitely smell pine...and maybe even a little vanilla? Not as pungent as I'd like, however.

T- Cold, I get straight citrus hops, bitter...but clean. However, as it warms, I catch more subtle citrus notes, and I can notice some hints of pine and vanilla on the back end...the beer becomes more balanced on the palate...it almost sweetens a bit. Highly enjoyable. For a 'standard IPA', this satisfied me as a hophead. There are plenty of hops here.

M- Gorgeous. Smooth, and properly carbonated. Honestly, this was one of the most enjoyable parts of this offering.

D- Smooth and drinkable. Surprisingly satisfying, honestly. A great beer for a warm night spent outside.

O- Try it. I look forward to my next trip to Boulder so I can get this straight from the source. One of the hoppiest basic IPAs I've had. Honestly though, I think its better if you let it sit for 10-15 minutes in the glass before drinking it. I found it improved as it warmed.

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

Golden in color with minimal head, this IPA smells of pine soap and, honestly, tastes a bit like it too. Also some hints of vanilla. Medium bodied and rather smooth mouthfeel. A good beer to enjoy by a campfire on a chilly night amongst the conifers.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company