Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)
3.85/5
Very Good
Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Ratings: 3,142 |  Reviews: 1,208

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Wow, what a surprise! I didn't have high expectations for this beer, but was overwhelmed! This is a GREAT IPA! I think this is also my first IPA tasted from a can, to a glass. It was very enjoyable! Probably a medium smell of citrus and hops, and a nice hoppy beer.
Just a great beer, and one that I will now try and stock quite consistently at home.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

This was a pleasant surprise for me. Enjoyed on a visit to Boulder, and Avery was actually the only brewery in the area I didn't get to in person, so I snagged a 6 pack on my way back from business meetings on the company dime. Oops.

This was a pleasant surprise, as being a notorious hophead, I tend to prefer to the double IPAs versus the normal company line. But this is one of the better 'regular release' IPAs I've had.

Quirky note, I left the sixer on the counter, out of the fridge, while going through three bottles. It may be of interest that in my opinion, the beer got better as it warmed.

Enjoyed as a bottle in a standard pint glass.

A- Like an IPA should be. A golden, vibrant, almost peachy color...you can almost tell it it'll have a citrus undertone from looking at it. Skips the chill haze...the warmer version was actually more hazy than the fridge-temp bottle. Plenty of carbonation leaves a lasting, thick head. Too quick a pour will leave you waiting to pour the final 2-3 oz until you've had a few sips.

S- Citrus...mostly grapefruit. This was all I smelled in the 'cold' version...however as the beer warmed I definitely smell pine...and maybe even a little vanilla? Not as pungent as I'd like, however.

T- Cold, I get straight citrus hops, bitter...but clean. However, as it warms, I catch more subtle citrus notes, and I can notice some hints of pine and vanilla on the back end...the beer becomes more balanced on the palate...it almost sweetens a bit. Highly enjoyable. For a 'standard IPA', this satisfied me as a hophead. There are plenty of hops here.

M- Gorgeous. Smooth, and properly carbonated. Honestly, this was one of the most enjoyable parts of this offering.

D- Smooth and drinkable. Surprisingly satisfying, honestly. A great beer for a warm night spent outside.

O- Try it. I look forward to my next trip to Boulder so I can get this straight from the source. One of the hoppiest basic IPAs I've had. Honestly though, I think its better if you let it sit for 10-15 minutes in the glass before drinking it. I found it improved as it warmed.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Golden in color with minimal head, this IPA smells of pine soap and, honestly, tastes a bit like it too. Also some hints of vanilla. Medium bodied and rather smooth mouthfeel. A good beer to enjoy by a campfire on a chilly night amongst the conifers.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

12oz brown bottle with a very cool label ... it's a map of the world entwined with hop vines...

Appearance: Hazy orange/copper beer with a patchy cream off-white foam head that clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Very pronounced grapefruit hop aromas, spicy with background sweet malts and a faint bready grain aroma.

Taste: Whoa! This is one good, very clean, drinkable awesome IPA! Mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and creamy with a malty thick full-body. The initial taste is an absolute hop assualt on the palate! A spicy, stinging and salty plethora of citric nuances literally overwhelm the senses. Earth, leaf and grass flavours pull-thru, then are followed by an alcohol presence and spiciness. The malt in this beer is definately present but gets its ass fiercly kicked by the hops. Malt includes some toasted, slightly bready and light honey flavours with an even malt sweetness. It hardly balances the beer, but does keep it somewhat control. Beer finishes with residual hop spice and malt sweetness, which tends to linger for some time.

Notes: This is a very hyped-up beer, and it should be as it is an absolutely marvelous beer for all the hop-heads out there... For what it is, it's crafted to near perfection. A "Wow!" beer for sure...As close to '5's' all around for me...I just can't bring myself to score a, '5' for ANY beer...seems like the only place you'll find 'that' beer is heaven...6.5 % abv....

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%