Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)
3.85/5
Very Good
Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

IBUs: 65

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Ratings: 3,157 |  Reviews: 1,212
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured this straight from the can into a pint glass. The color is transparent gold. The aroma is fresh hops, citrus, tropical fruit, and pine. I also get some nice caramel, bready malts. The taste is incredible. Exactly like the smell, yet the hop bitterness is balanced well by the malts. This is a 1st tier ipa for sure.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

I am surprised that it has taken me this long to do a bonafide review of this beer. Let's do it:

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear yellow color with a very slight orange tint to it. There is a 1/4" head of creamy white bubbles that was maintained by quite a few bubbles rising, but started to fall leaving some lace in the way after about 45 seconds. After a couple minutes, it was reduced to a pretty substantial ring where the beer met the glass with some solid islands of bubbles on top of the beer.

Aroma: It was weird, when I popped the cap it was like someone farted, but when I was pouring the beer and all of that there wasn't anything else like that. The aroma is absolutely hoppy, but there is more going on than your typical citrus. This has a good bit of earthiness to the hops that I don't remember when I tried this beer in the past. There is some chalkiness here indicating some pretty substantial bittering. There is some malt in the aroma, with some subtle bread crusts, and some mild sweet toasty notes, but the malt is reserved. It smells like this beer may have a bit of age o it, though I can't read the bottle label.

Taste: The flavor is a bit of a departure from the aroma. There is more citrus in the flavor than I thought, but there still seems to be a bit of age to this beer, so I won't hold it against it too badly. The hops are in charge the entire time, but you get occasional little hints of malt here and there to make sure that you know that this is still a beer and not a glass of hop extract. The malt is very subtly sweet with light crystal being the predominant flavor. The finish is balanced toward the hops, but it isn't so heavily that it is hard to drink.

Opinion: This is a pretty good IPA. The balance is a tad hoppy for my taste, but that is really just personal preference. This beer is really a good example of the style. I think that Adam may have had to change the hop schedule since the last time I tried this beer (~3 years ago), so the aroma is a bit odd at first, but it still is well blended and drinkable. If you like hoppy beers, I would definitely tell you to give this beer a shot.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard, bubbled, american pint glass.

A - Beer looks great, pours a frothy head that leaves foam and lacing down the glass.

S - Very pungent hop smell, I love some pungence, but I'd prefer a bit more citrus in the nose. Not a bad nose on the beer, just a personal preference. The beer smells great.

T - Really a big and upfront deep, grasy hop pungence.. I'd bet from Columbus or Northern Brewer type hops... More of a pungent IPA than a citrusy IPA. Not a load of malt in this one, it's mostly a lighter and more pungent IPA. I dig it.

M - Really good mouthfeel on this beer, perfectly carbonated with a medium body and a dry finish. Solid summertime beer.

O - This isn't my favorite IPA in the world, but if you're looking for a lighter, more pungent IPA this is certainly worth a try. I've never tasted an Avery beer that I didn't like and this one is no different.. Quality. Period. The more I drink it, the more I like it to be honest... that's a good sign.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

From my son in a mixed six-pack for father's day...
Poured into a pint glass this brew has a nice golden color with a decent 1 1/2 finger white head. Good active carbonation present. The aroma is sweet and citrusy with nice clove spice and pine needle present. The taste is nice and sticky with grapefruit and orange citrus up front and a nice spicy pine mix in the finish. Not much for malt balance in this brew, but in an IPA I like the bold bitterness. Light to medium body and has a nice pop from carbonation. Decent brew here.

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Aroma
Nice vibrant floral, citrus scent coming through with a bit of pinish hints

Mouthfeel
Medium to higher end carbonation maybe a bit higher than necessary, definite bitterness along the sides of the mouth.

Appearance
Pale amber in appearance, poured to large carbonation bubbles but very little head to speak of in a normal U.S. pint glass.

Taste
Almost all bitterness with no real malt taste here to me, finish with a piney taste that lingers (maybe a bit too long) initially hint of sweetness then quickly to bitterness along the sides of the mouth

Drinkability
Not really my kind of IPA, bit too heavy on the piney tastes. One and done.

Overall
Not bad not really good. Well enough put together but lacks enough malt balance for me to go with the hoppy flavors. Scent is great, rest is lacking.

The CANQuest (TM) is rolling right along this evening, thanks to an end-of-the-school-year sigh of relief and my desire to rededicate my efforts to reviewing beers in a CAN. I bought some Avery CANs at Pinocchio's in Media and Onenote81 sent me some more, so they became the evening's focus.

From the CAN: "Hop Freaks Unite!" That reminds me - today is Flag Day and I am definitely interested in flying my Hop Freak Flag this evening. "Our IPA is an intense hop experience straight from the [CAN]! Settle back and savor the citrusy. floral bouquet and the rich, malty, yet dry finish. Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads."; "Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops, and yeast." Hell, yeah!

The Crack & Glug resulted in a finger-and-a-half of rocky, tawny head that immediately began to fall, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow that would have made both King Midas and Croesus envious, plus it evidenced NE-quality clarity. Nose was straight up hops, yo!

Understand, I copped for years to having a hops habit that elevated me above simple "Hop Head" status. I was given to putting hops pellets on my tongue and swigging an AAL for the rush (no lie!) and I had a hops jones at times that sent me flying into brewpubs while traveling around just to get at an IPA to quiet the chattering monkey on my back. I was following the hops reps around just to get a taste of the latest hybrid since the standards weren't getting it done. I would call in sick because I couldn't get enough hops to last me through the day. I was a sick individual until The CANQuest (TM) and its attendant steady diet of AALs and AMLs slowly weaned me off of the insidious hummus lupulin. I was cured, brothers and sisters, cured! Do you hear me? Until a night like tonight, when I let my guard down and Wham!, the monkey is right back and I am sucking down an AIPA like it is water and I am reaching for another and I ain't going in tomorrow ...

Whoa! Like, I said, nose was floral and minty/grassy and I was sent, man. Coming back down, the mouthfeel was meaningless as I just wanted the sweet, sweet taste of hops running around on my tongue and down my throat. Yeah, that's it, give it to me, baby! CAN't they just CAN hops extract for people like me? Why do I gotta go through this torture? It had a beautiful taste, grassy, minty, slightly piney and I felt like a hops virgin again. Finish was when when I sat back and started licking the lacing out of the glass. My sponsor is on his way over, but I think that it is too late. I'm filling a cooler with this, tooling over to Hops (not Skid) Row, picking up my buddies and we're going surfing on hops down at the beach. Look for us, we're the pasty guys all huddled around the cooler with our eye out for The Man.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a darker golden color. Decent amount of head on it.

Smell is nice and hoppy with some malt coming through.

Taste is hoppy as well. Very good flavor. Some citrus in the beginning and some spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. This is an easy drinking beer.

I enjoyed it and would drink again for sure. Too bad they're leaving Wisconsin.

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12oz into my fav pint glass. Head is super white and sticks around till the last drop. The color is light like a fruit beer and ultra filtered. Should be a little darker to hint at the taste in my opinion. Smells like hop fruit and molasses very inviting but a little muted due to a soapy influence. Taste is slamming though, a little soap some citrus hops and big burnt sugar the exhale is very enjoyable. Carbonation is perfect but could use a bit more weight. Overall a def recommendation. The smell and taste make this a go to beer, a few dollars cheaper and I would be all over this.

On tap at Kickbacks

A-Pours a clear gold with a one finger creamy white head that has good retention and leaves ample lace.

S-Citrus-grapefruit and lemon-along with some slightly resinous hop notes with a slight and subtle caramel malt backbone.

T-Follows the nose with citrusy and slightly resinous hops with a somewhat sweet malt backbone coming in and staying for just a bit before a bitter hop bite rounds it out.

M-Just shy of medium body, a bit dry, with crisp carbonation

O-A very nice IPA. Not world class, but I wouldn't ever turn my nose up at one of these-its solid.

3.81/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to brother Bennettrox for the CAN!

Pours a golden orange color with good clarity, and a nice nearly white finger and a half of fluffy white head. Lace clings everywhere.

Aroma, while nice, is on the more subtle side. Bits of juicy citrus hops, white a nice bready/caramel malt base.

Nice intense bitterness up front, lots of citrus fruits, nice slight caramel sweet malts and a big hoppy bitterness finish.

The feel is a wonderful medium body, very slick and oily, nice slight crisp carbonation and an easy finish.

Drinkability is good.

I enjoyed this IPA quite a lot...it's a solid everyday type of affair!

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

A: A finger of off white head on top of a clear, darker orange, copper body. The head quickly tightened up a bit, but stayed around for a while.

S: Very piney aroma with a little bit of grapefruit, with a touch of sweetness in the back end. Not really complex.

T: The balance between the bready malt flavor and slight dark fruit flavors is balanced out incredibly well with the hops. The hop flavor is not as bold as I would like, which may be due to the beer being past its prime. The somewhat dry finish is perfect for the massive pine flavor and mild bitterness that lingers forever.

M: Good to maybe a tiny bit low carbonation with a medium body that is just a little bit to the thin side.

D: The beer didn't blow me away, but it also wasn't really bad.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Can into pint.

Bright yellowy gold color with a pillowy white head of 2 cottony fingers. Thick rings of lacing.

Smells of dank tropical fruits, light earthiness, and pine resin.
Taste holds a little earthy and sweet malts before the hops take over-- grapefruit, pine, and flowery hints of herbs.

Body is decent. Medium with good carbonation and prickly feel. Nice bitterness on this one.

Overall, this is a beer I'll be happy to grab again!

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%

A- thick golden amber. Well carbonated. Good frothy head and lace.

S- floral hop aroma. Slight caramel malt.

T- slight floral hops. Only slightly bitter. Very balanced.

M- full but light. Lots of carbonation. Slightly dry and sticky finish.

D-very drinkable and solid brew but can't stand up well to many of the best ipas. Still enjoyable and nothing you would refuse.

Obtained this as a single from VE in Boardman, OH., for the princely price of $1.89.

Poured at fridge temp into my SA glass, a hard pour produces a brilliant peach yellow colored brew, with a nice white head. The head isn't very long lived, but it does leave excellent lacing on the glass.

The nose is forward with citrus and floral aromas, with just a touch of caramel thrown in. After so many IIPAs, its hard to be overly impressed with this nose. I'd like to see a bit more dry hopping to give it just another notch up on the aroma.

Taste is very similar to the nose, in that the citrus hops (Columbus, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial) are most dominant. They are no where over the top, and to me, this tastes like about 60-65 IBU (however, I'm a hop head, so YMMV). A bit of caramel malt flavor and a bit of bread try to show themselves, but get beaten back by the hops. Mouthfeel is just short of a solid medium.

Overall impression is that this is a very good, highly drinkable IPA. It's a little high in abv to call a session brew, but I could certainly make this a session brew. Avery's brews are always solid, and you can't go wrong with any of them. The IPA is another fine example. Highly Recommended. Get 'ya some!

Na Zdravje!

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

I get a solid two finger head with a great amount of retention but very little lace. Beer is tangerine in color and transparent.

The hops are very upfront in the nose. I get some pine and citrus notes. On the citrus end I'm getting grapefruit more than anything else. There is also a bit of a sweetness present as well.

Taste is sweet upfront, then hoppy, then sweet again. I was anticipating a bit more of a punch from the hops than I'm getting. Hop bitterness lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel is ok, but not great. Feels a bit thin upfront but opens up mid-sip. I'd like there to be more carbonation.

Overall, this is ok for the style. This is my first time trying this beer ... perhaps my experience would be a bit different had it come from a bottle instead of a can? ... or maybe I'm thinking that since we're all so used to drinking craft beer from bottles. Anyhow, this would be a great beer for someone getting used to/into the style.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured this into my favorite glass as the bottle suggested.

A: A dull orange color with just a little head. It's leaving some nice rings on my glass.

S: Yep, there's hops in there. Citrusy and sweet is what I'm getting off it. More of a grapefruit comes to mind than lemon or orange (I'm not picking up either of those).

T: Lacks the punch of hops I was expecting. Perhaps I got an old bottle which is entirely possible, all the more reason IPA's should be dated. Still though it's not bad. It's got enough bitterness to it that someone beginning their journey into IPA's would certainly enjoy this beer. The sweetness from the malt is on the front end with maybe a bit of tartness but it's in the back end and down your throat you can feel the bitterness. Well done. I think it could stand to use some Dry Hopping which I suspect isn't being done to a great extent due to me not picking up a lot in the nose. But who knows?!

M: The mouthfeel is creamy up front with a dry finish.

O: So so. I'd give it 3.5 stars. Not quite 4. I'm hoping it's due to maybe an old bottle. This is certainly one I would try again. At the same time I'm happy I didn't get a 6 pack of it.

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%

A clear golden/orange with about a finger of thick head shrinks down to a thick layer of lacing. Large mounds on the sides. On the nose I get sour malts and a dirty type of piney/citrus hop. Some alcohol notes also shine through. Creamy body with a light finish. A piney hop bite upfront that keeps on going. The middle is faintly citrus and finishes very dry. A lot of that dirty pines cuts through a little to much.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

A: golden yellow/orange hue body, 2 finger fluffy head,
wonderful lacing.

S: lemon grass, pine, mild mango/peach

T: mango/peach, fine pine malt, long sticky oily finish

M: med/light body, slick/oily mouth

O: Nice Avery offering and especially for
it being in a can. There are better American IPAs,
but this is still very enjoyable. I could drink more
than a few and wouldn't mind getting a 6 pack
again in the future.

GOOD, WORTH TRYING!

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with 2 ½ fingers of stiff bright-white head. This retains with roughly a ¾ finger of froth, which slathers the sides of the glass with sticky patchy lacing. The aroma smells floral, with a big push of bright citrusy hops. A fairly strong herbal presence (and some lighter pine) mixes in as well, along with a light spiciness on the edges. Malts offer up a supportive grainy sweetness underneath and I’m picking up just a touch of alcohol warmth along the back.

The taste has a sharp citric bitterness to it, tempered by notes of fruit and sweet toasted grains. Rind, spice, and lingering resins give the finish some strength. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a smooth sharpness that gets borderline creamy at times despite the moderate amount of heft that his present. Alcohol warmth does accentuate the bitterness here but also helps bring out a lot of that sweet stickiness from the malts and fruit as well.

This was a pretty overall solid IPA from Avery, with well balanced hop flavors and a generally pretty easy feel for the alcohol content. It had been awhile since I’ve had this one and it more than held up to what I remembered of it.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

This brew pours a hazy golden yellow hue with decent carbonation that leaves behind a half finger head and sporadic clingy lacing,the smell has aromas of pineapple,lychee,toffee and citrus zest,it has a medium bodied well carbonated mouthfeel and has tastes of grapefruit,passionfruit,pineapple,light toffee and finished with a nice tinge of piney bitterness and overall a nice AIPA and would buy again.

3.76/5  rDev -2.3%

A: pours a hazy yellow with a slight orange hue in some places. A finger of white head is produced and a small mat covers the beer after it recedess
S: kinda weak from this bottle. citrusy, sweet, and a bit of a tropical fruit smell.
T: Starts off with a smack of bitter pine flavor with a touch of citrus. The malt provids a splash of sweetness to keep things in check and the aftertaste is sort of a bittersweet piney flavor with hints of fruityness.
M: smooth with prickly carbonation. Full bodied as well. Not overly thick and not too thin.
O: a pretty good single IPA. I have a feeling that this one isn't very fresh but it's still pretty good.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz. Bottle poured into Tulip Glass

Nice Clear golden ale with alot of carbonation. Nice 2 finger head that goes down to a thin lacing layer.

Aromas start of nice and sweet with a citrus hop nose as well. But not as strong as I was expecting. The smell is nice it just doesn't fill up the nostrals.

The citrus hops are up front and then a malt sweetness comes in. I don't know if they are all like this but definlty heavyily carbonated. Takes away from the drinkability.

As you swallow there is definitley a strong bitter after taste that lingers. Sometimes I enjoy this in a beer, but in this particular case I did not. I have noticed other reviewers metion this as well.

I was disapointed with this beer because I was told good things, it's not bad, it's just not that great either.

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

The Avery IPA poured out a one finger head on a pedestal of light, filtered amber.

At first, the nose catches a sweet hoppy aroma, followed by fruity esters that spice the aromatics.

The Avery IPA has a two part taste. The palate is greeted first by a sweet malty flavor, then closely followed by a flood of hops and hints of grapefruit that flood your taste buds.

As the Avery IPA leaves the mouth a distinct after taste is left lingering on the palate; with the front of the mouth mildly dry with a light malty flavor and the back featuring grapefruit hints and hoppiness.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

After having this one on tap, I immediately went to procure a six pack of cans. Sadly, although good, the insane hoppiness was rather muted. Poured a rich, golden color, with a nice white head. Muted hop aromas (comparatively) along with some light caramel. Easy drinking and medium bodied, with caramel and earthy hops.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a pint glass a pale gold with two fingers of whipped egg white head that clings to the glass in thick webs.

Piney hops jump out in the nose with sweet orange.

Pine bitterness right off the bat, dark citrus in follows up, sweet malts struggle to keep it inline - oily medium carbonation and a slick earthy pine lingering at the end.

Thought it was fine, maybe a bit..raw? Harsh? Not bad, just not enough malt, it got buried completely.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company