Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American IPA

IBUs: 65

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Reviews: 1,196 | Ratings: 3,078
3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass @ fridge temperature.
A: Hazy, burtn orange with a 1 finger foamy head.
S:Smells of nice citrusy hops with a very slight yeast aroma
T: Floral and Citrus hops with a faint malt backbone. Very pleasant and refreshing
M: Medium body with a slight alcohol kick on the back of your tounge
D: Very easy drinking beer. I only grabbed a single but wish I grabbed an entire 6pack. This is a solid American IPA

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%

Translucent orange base with one finger white bubbly head. Head retention was very short, but a nice layer of sticky white lace remains. Typical IPA characteristics on the smell - some pine, lemon zest, and other citrus notes. Taste is similar to the nose with lingering pine notes. Mouth feel and drinkability remind me of a hoppy pilsner. A fairly light and refreshing IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

Can you say HOPS??? this brew pours a nice rich golden color with a substantial head. Take one deep breath and the beautifully fragrant (pretty much flowery) hops are just bouncing up at your nose! The hops are equally present in the herbal/fruity taste. There is not alot more I can say about this brew, because it really is ALL about hops!!

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

This is a lot lighter looking than I expected... Does not have that brassy/copper color I think of as IPAish. Still pretty though. I think the hops just punched me in the NOSE! What an aroma.
There is a nice but not overpowering bitterness on the front end and more subdued than the smell would indicate. The taste does a good job of backing up the intimidating aroma but again it's not as overpowering as the smell. That being said it makes for maybe an easier drinker than one would expect.
This is definitely out of the American IPA mold so folks who are used to the English style just realize that and you won't likely be bummed out...

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

India Pale Ale
Avery Brewing Co.

Appearance:
Avery's IPA is yellow. Hints of orange shine through, but the dominant color is yellow. It is translucent with slight haziness. A short white head emerges and falls quickly to a very thin layer of bubbles, leaving a healthy amount of lace.

Smell:
Fruity hop aroma takes center stage. The most prominent fragrance is grapefruit. Behind the grapefruit is a subtle aroma of piney hops.

Taste:
Bitter hops and dry grapefruit hit the palette up front. The frontal bitterness fades to a flavor with much more yeasty bread character with a slight suggestion of malt. This flavor is subtle and does not last long. Then the hops make a comeback. The dry bitterness creeps back in the finish and lingers in the aftertaste. The aftertaste is not very intense, but leaves an excellent subtle dry piney flavor, persuading another sip.

Mouthfeel:
This IPA has a rather light body with a healthy dose of carbonation.

Drinkability:
The mouthfeel makes this beer very drinkable. The bitterness is not overly intense, but bitter enough to be enjoyed by those who like hops but don't like it to beat their taste buds into submission.

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

aroma: piney, resiny hops dominate the nose. (Wish there was more citrus and freshness here).

pour: light orange amber brown, super clear with thin off-white head.

taste: begins mild and slightly sweet, then the hops kick in with similar characteristics to the nose: pine and resin. Finish is dry, but the after-taste is not very nice (it's kind of piney, but it's really harsh and unpleasant).

mouthfeel: medium body with some light lacing forming on the glass.

drink: medium-low to low. The harsh aftertaste makes this more difficult to gulp and enjoy.

overall: and okay IPA. Not worth the money, there are much better IPA's out there.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Got this at the saucer in Austin out of a cask. Pours with a golden color, nice fluffy head, and an opaque body. Smell was filled with hops, but wasn't nearly as much as I expected. Taste was also not near as hoppy as I expected, it was very smooth. This was my first beer from a cask, at the bar I got the explanation of what exactly that entails. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what differences there were. My guess is that the hoppiness of the beer was affected because the yeast was still fermentating, which is why it was so smooth.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

When I moved to Colorado and asked the locals what the best IPA in the state was, this is the beer that the majority of locals pointed me toward. Well, I've probably bought and finished off 5-6 6-packs of this brew over the years, and I think that it ranks right up there with the best. Great fresh hop aroma and taste with a lingering fresh hopped aftertaste. This is a very drinkable highly hopped beer, and I recommend it to all IPA drinkers.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle

A - Very clear light copper. Wispy foam lacing. Head throughout.

S - Strong hops. Grassy, grapefruit, lemon.

T - Strong bitterness with hoppy, grapefruit finish. Watery texture.

O/ M - Strong aromas, fruity flavors. Light to med mouthfeel. Very bitter finish.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured this into my favorite glass as the bottle suggested.

A: A dull orange color with just a little head. It's leaving some nice rings on my glass.

S: Yep, there's hops in there. Citrusy and sweet is what I'm getting off it. More of a grapefruit comes to mind than lemon or orange (I'm not picking up either of those).

T: Lacks the punch of hops I was expecting. Perhaps I got an old bottle which is entirely possible, all the more reason IPA's should be dated. Still though it's not bad. It's got enough bitterness to it that someone beginning their journey into IPA's would certainly enjoy this beer. The sweetness from the malt is on the front end with maybe a bit of tartness but it's in the back end and down your throat you can feel the bitterness. Well done. I think it could stand to use some Dry Hopping which I suspect isn't being done to a great extent due to me not picking up a lot in the nose. But who knows?!

M: The mouthfeel is creamy up front with a dry finish.

O: So so. I'd give it 3.5 stars. Not quite 4. I'm hoping it's due to maybe an old bottle. This is certainly one I would try again. At the same time I'm happy I didn't get a 6 pack of it.

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great rocky mountain head, no pun intended. The head is marvelous, really nice foam. As you clear the glass the lacing looks like a snow storm. Very sticky. Unable see through the glass, outstanding! Nice orange hue. Sweet esters to the nose, and a very assertive malt backbone. Very smooth IPA. Very enjoyable to drink. Will be purchasing again!

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

In my opinion, when a really bitter, hoppy brew is a success, it is so not by virtue of the hops alone, but the other balancing aspects as well. Avery's regular IPA seemed a bit out of balance. Looked great, a nice golden hue with frothy, clinging head and good retention. Smelled decent, though the characteristic IPA aroma seemed just a bit subdued. Taste was good and by comparison to many other weak, puny IPA's, this guy is great, but like I said before, the bitter hops seemed a bit out of balance (don't get me wrong, Stone's Ruination is one of my favorite beers). Interestingly enough, I seem to remember the Maharaja as being out of balance in terms of it's alcoholic traits. Here, there wasn't enough interest from the other characteristics. It surprised me and did not go that well with my Indian dinner. This one's right up there, but a few tiers beneath the top.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Copper gold, about par the course for this style

S: Milds hops aroma was all I could ascertain

T: Muted florals with red grapefruit

M: average for this style

D: Mild and refreshing. Has a watery smoothness to my taste buds

This is a refreshing Am-IPA offering from Avery. None or very little with respect to pine notes, but this beer is a smooth and drinkable. Very refreshing. It would appeal to me more in warmer weather. Otherwise, not a lot of character here compared to the hoppier extreme beers I like, but that can be nice at time. I might try this again, depending on the other offerings at my beer bar. But it isn't on my list of favorites.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

on sale so i bought a six pack
A: nice golden color and a white small bubbled head
S: great piny smell and even deeper the citrus orange and lemon comes through with a little hint of sweet malt
T: starts off with an aggressive hop piny citrus punch then slowly drys to a sweet malty finish and leaves the mouth lingering with the hop taste
M: medium body with nice carbination and smooth watery feel in the mouth
D: overall a great ipa when you want it to be a session beer grab a six pack you'll be glad you did

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a nice, apple-juice gold with a thin white head.

Smell: Well rounded hops with no distinguishing hop characteristic and a very sweet malt smell.

Taste: A hoppy beer, as you would expect from an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Light enough to live up to the IPA label but substantial enough to carry full flavor.

Overall: A great beer for summer and a great example of an IPA.

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%

I've commented before on how just about any brewery can pump out a decent-tasting IPA (breweries really have to try to make an unpalatable IPA), but few can make an outstanding one. That said, Avery makes my no-contest favorite IPA around. Piney hops with little citrus and a heavy malt presence that compliments (rather than counters - malts and hops are not opposites, we must stop talking about beer like this!) the hop bitterness. Unlike most IPAs, this finishes wet, rather than the typical dry bitterness of most. The malt gives this a thicker, sticky mouthfeel more redolent of a DIPA than an IPA.
I've been drinking this for years from the bottle. The can tastes just as great and is an even better reason to pick it up.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

A darker shade of yellow, bordering to orange. Looks rather carbonated, lots of fizzy bubbles. Circa one finger of off-white foam maintaining a stable cap for about a minute or so. The foam has small and big bubbles, looks creamy. The liquid leaves behind some syrupy and sticky lines on the glass.

Smell It has a strong musty and earthy smell like no other IPA I’ve tried so far. I picture a damp and slightly moldy basement. There’s a acidic and vinegary angle to the aroma too. Fruity notes placed somewhere on the dried fruits side, say peaches and apricots. Balancing the sweet fruits is a pinch of pine needles and grapefruit bringing bitter and aroma hops to the beer.

Taste The initial sweetness is a complex one, a multi-dimensional, I’d argument, bearing more a resemblance to honey than ordinary white sugar. I get chewed-on pine needles, pink grapefruit, passion fruit, elderberry and fur of a wet dog. A burst of bitter notes that fade in strength after 20 seconds. The bitterness is perfected in its intermediate way and the maltiness prolongs the flavors through out the taste. Bitterness and malt/flavors exchanging places interminably. Most of all its dry, dry, dry, not like the Sahara but more like biting on a dry piece of wood.

Mouthfeel Light-medium to medium built beer with a massive amount of tiny bubbles, popping and tickling. A very smooth and filling drink. A long, long bitter after taste.

In conclusion This is one heck of India Pale Ale. A wonderfully balanced brew with a dry finish. I don’t really know if cozy is the right word but I’ll refer to anyway. The balance is flawless. Not too bitter, not too sweet. Just a dryness that’s very appealing. Part of the commercial description reads “Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads.” Avery to that!

2.69/5  rDev -30.7%

Everything about this beer is weak/ bland. Could easily pass for a pilsner.
Light color
Watery head - "lacing" if you will
Hops - no indication of any (at least not above what may be contained in a Bud
Mouthfeel is very smooth with zero hops bite
Taste is weak and watery that leaves as soon as it's swallowed.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Sight: Poured a pretty solid creamy head. Over two fingers. Body is a nice gold amber color. Nice lacing on the walls.

Smell: Definite hop presence in the nose as well as floral and maybe a hint of cucumber. Slight malt as well.

Taste: Bitter up front but very clean and balanced. Almost reminiscent of an English cream ale for some reason in the middle. Has a very long lasting malt finish. Flavors present are grapefruit, something floral, and maybe some pine.

Feel: A light body IPA for sure. Good crisp experience.

Drink: A good IPA. Something to be savored and not consumed by quantity, but not many IPAs are. Gets better as it warms up.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured rich bright clear amber into glass. Aroma is of a light caramel and almost sweet and light hoppiness. At first taste is of bitterness but is quickly smoothed out and you can taste the caramel and smooth maltiness. Only leaves a light reminder of the beer you just enjoyed great light American IPA. Very good for a nice session.

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite IPAs...I drink it frequently, so I figured I'd rate it.

A - Probably the lowest out of the categories for this beer. Lemony-orange in color. 1-inch cream-white head that dissipates moderately. Nice lace forming down the sides of the glass.

S - What you expect from a solid IPA. I smell hops, citrus, hints of pine...some grassy notes. Maybe some hints of pair--reminds me a bit of a Sauvignon Blanc if I concentrate hard enough.

T - Nicely bitter. This is not a terribly well balanced beer, which I like. It is what it is and isn't trying to be smooth. Definitely tasting hops.

M - It's good. It has a medium body that turns a little velvety about 30 seconds after a sip.

D - Like I said, I love this IPA. It's a great example of what the style should be (according to me). It's an IPA and isn't trying to be anything else. I could easily turn this beer into a session beer.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a bright, clear pale golden color with one finger of rocky head that sticks around for a good while. Lacing forms on the upper parts of the glass.

Smell is of pungent, piney hops, and not much else. A slight buttery-bread undertone comes through afterwards, but the wet grass hop smell is dominate. Maybe a little skunky, too.

Taste is full of resiny, piney, and earthy hop characteristics up front, with only a slight bit of balance from the malt. A slight alcoholic burn comes through in the end, adding a slight punch. Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated and medium bodied, but there is not a clean finish (as to be expected with most hoppy IPA's).

I have no qualms with painfully bitter hop bombs, but without balance the beer suffers and becomes bland and boring.

4.19/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz into my fav pint glass. Head is super white and sticks around till the last drop. The color is light like a fruit beer and ultra filtered. Should be a little darker to hint at the taste in my opinion. Smells like hop fruit and molasses very inviting but a little muted due to a soapy influence. Taste is slamming though, a little soap some citrus hops and big burnt sugar the exhale is very enjoyable. Carbonation is perfect but could use a bit more weight. Overall a def recommendation. The smell and taste make this a go to beer, a few dollars cheaper and I would be all over this.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz. Bottle poured into Tulip Glass

Nice Clear golden ale with alot of carbonation. Nice 2 finger head that goes down to a thin lacing layer.

Aromas start of nice and sweet with a citrus hop nose as well. But not as strong as I was expecting. The smell is nice it just doesn't fill up the nostrals.

The citrus hops are up front and then a malt sweetness comes in. I don't know if they are all like this but definlty heavyily carbonated. Takes away from the drinkability.

As you swallow there is definitley a strong bitter after taste that lingers. Sometimes I enjoy this in a beer, but in this particular case I did not. I have noticed other reviewers metion this as well.

I was disapointed with this beer because I was told good things, it's not bad, it's just not that great either.

4.81/5  rDev +24%

A sweeter ipa with a golden/amber color.

Piney hopes but more white pine than spruce. Delicate and sweet.

A sweet aroma like mt hood hops or like a freshly opened box of fruity pebbles.

Good kick of malt, sweet malt and carmel at first mouthful.

Nice tingle as it leaves the tongue. Nice afterglow flavor, stays on the tongue for several minutes leaving with a sweet bitterness like aspen leaves mixed with sugar.

This one in which the label and holding up the bottle fool you. It's so clear in the bottle you wonder if the wrong beer is in their (is it kuurs?) but the flavor is worth savoring.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company