Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American IPA

IBUs: 65

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Reviews: 1,195 | Ratings: 3,057
4.37/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a clear, dark golden amber color with a very nice 2-finger head that leaves very good lacing behind.

Very pleasant smelling beer. Very fruity with citrus and maybe a pear or apricot smell to it as well. Sweet too.

The fruit comes through in the taste as well, but not a strongly as in the smell. There is a light hop bitterness throughout as well that is balanced by a malty sweetness.

Decent mouthfeel with a bit of creaminess. It drinks smoothly.

Overall, a really delicious tasting IPA that has a nice malty sweetness to balance out the hops.

A - Dark gold / light orange, thick head that lingers for a while, but it's light on carbonation.

S - Deep citric aroma, smells like pine needles. This is the first time the brew acquaints us with US hops.

T - Strong grapefruit-like flavor, sharp hop bitterness, little malt flavor present.

M - This beer tastes like it's all hops! There's little going on with the malt, yet it's a bit chewy. It also tastes more carbonated than it really is.

D- This is a good, but very dry, IPA that isn't holding back at all with the hop profile. It could use a bit more malt, but it's still good. I just wonder if they could pack any more hops into the glass! Wow.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

poured into a pint glass. wow! this beer is extremely clear and light looking. wasn't expecting that! gorgeous white head that laces awesome. beautiful beer for sure.

getting a bit of everything with the aroma of this beer. i can't pick anything out that dominates at all. floral, citrus, pine, fruity...no malt but who cares, its an IPA.

tastes just as it smells. awesome. very balanced (with different hops) pretty darn bitter too.

high carbonation is the only downfall i can find in this beer. but maybe it wouldn't look so good without it?

drinkable beer but if i had a few of these i'd be burping all night long.

very good beer. definitely worth trying if you like IPAs.

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%

12 oz bottle

Appearance: Fairly clear copper pour with an average size white head

Aroma: Nice hop presence prevails, lots of floral and piney goodness

Taste/Mouthfeel: Well hopped, but not in a good way. I got lots of harsh lingering bitterness, would be curious of their hop bill. Fairly smooth but a little thin.

Drinkability: Average IPA for my tastes. Lingering bitterness was surprising from what I heard was a good beer. Will have to try again...

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

A - nice layer of foam, copper tones
S - vague floral scent
T - earthy hop taste, not overwhelming
M - smooth, not as bitter as I like my IPA's
D - very drinkable and balanced

This is overall a good beer. A kick back on the porch 6 pack type of beer in my opinion. Hoppy, but not as bitterly strong as I'd like. However, it is no doubt a good beer.

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%

I truly find this IPA spot on.... One of my favorites!
Nice grapefruity, citrus nose that stays through to the end. They did not leave one hop left behind. I like the full body texture. A little sticky but hey... Quite refreshing for such a hoppy offering.
This reminds me of raging at "the Beach" (A-Basin) on the 4th of July 1997. We ski, we eat, we drink, we kayak? yep
Thanks for the memories and thanks to my mom for bringing me the samples from AZ

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

I really like this IPA. Nice golden color with a fluffy white head. Good lacing down the glass. Big hop aroma from this beer, mainly floral with hints of citrus. Flavor is big time floral hoppy with some malt sweetness. Nice smooth mouthfeel not too light and not heavy at all, seems just right for the style. Very easy to drink a few of these.

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this on tap at Dingle House Pub in West Chester, OH.

Appears bright golden-amber in hue with a slight chill haze and a thick head of dense barely off-white foam. Some bits of sediment (yeast? dry hops?) are visible floating in the beer. Nice hoppy aroma with some pine, citrus and floral notes. The glass felt pretty cold, so I let the beer warm a bit.

Medium body with a smooth, creamy texture and fine carbonation. Citric hops up front with grapefruit standing out, followed by toasty malt, more hops with a decent bitterness, some pine and floral notes. Hints of tangerine and lemon, and something else - maybe faint pineapple.The finish includes grapefruit pith. Nice, solid IPA with plenty of hops - more hops than Stone IPA, maybe on a par with BJ's Piranha Pale Ale and Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Heavy foam sheeting on the glass.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A:Semi cloud not clear golden, wife said it looks like piss (she's funny)Light carbonation, minimal lacing from a footed 1-pint Pilsner glass.

S: Nothing overwhelming here. Light hoppy, minimal citrus

T: Nice light hoppy, light citrus

M: No bitter after taste

D: Would definately do again

4.54/5  rDev +17%

Great Beer. One of my Favorite IPAs on the market... Thought it had a great hoppy smell. I tend to like a lot of the Avery Brewing Brews. I think that they are a great small brewery and I hope that their IPA continues to catch on in the New England area.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

I had to drink this straight out of the bottle, I know that is terrible, but it happens sometime. That being said I can't comment on the appearance to much. The hop aroma coming out of the bottle was great, strong and full but not to spicy. The excellent hopiness continued into the taste but not with the same force as the aroma. Light malty flavors up front with a long smooth bitter aftertaste. It is bubbly and light on the tongue. Not a very complex IPA but a very drinkable one and I can say it is great out of the bottle on a hot day. Ill pick this up again.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Freely poured into a 14.9 nonic. One half inch white head, body medium golden.Big citrus smell, very lemony. Taste is very crisp and clean. Evaporates on the palate as soon as you taste it. As the beer warms in the glass you may notice a taste of grains of paradise and the head starts to look like egg whites with good lacing.

I like this beer very much. while it has a strong hop character, it dosen't taste like you rang out a pound of wet hops into it.

One suspposes that this ale would be indistinguishable from the fine brews that soldiers stationed in Victorian India would welcome with cheers as the English fleet slid into harbor at Bombay.

Grade B+ Purchased at Stony's-$10.99 6pack

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Served on tap at The Blind Tiger

Aroma - Slight citrusy / floral character, mediocre hop presence, lacks a volatile aromatic release upon pouring, understated overall aroma.

Color - Pale golden color w/ slight haze, appearance is intriguing, seemingly light for the style.

Taste - Malty backbone with a bitter finish, wonderfully complex development of flavor. Potential use of centennials near the end of the boil or in the whirlpool?

Mouthfeel - Microfine carbonation, crisp finish, highly appropriate for the style. Background lends itself to a solid yet soft malt presence, very pleasing / "beerish".

Overall - I would dub this a "summer" IPA. Unusually light, crisp, and yet enjoyable all at the same time. Perfect for drinking inside a screened in porch.

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%

A: a copper golden color with a 2-finger creamy white head from pour. The head sticks to the side of the glass when consuming.

S: a floral citrus hop smell with hints of pine

T: hops all over the place...from a full force head blow to the back of the palate. Very citrus, with a lot of grapfruit with a bit of pine.

M: leave a dry citrus flavor on the tongue. Bitterness from the hops coats the mouth.

D: very refreshing. The light malt really balances the hops out. It is a bit of a session beer.

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard, bubbled, american pint glass.

A - Beer looks great, pours a frothy head that leaves foam and lacing down the glass.

S - Very pungent hop smell, I love some pungence, but I'd prefer a bit more citrus in the nose. Not a bad nose on the beer, just a personal preference. The beer smells great.

T - Really a big and upfront deep, grasy hop pungence.. I'd bet from Columbus or Northern Brewer type hops... More of a pungent IPA than a citrusy IPA. Not a load of malt in this one, it's mostly a lighter and more pungent IPA. I dig it.

M - Really good mouthfeel on this beer, perfectly carbonated with a medium body and a dry finish. Solid summertime beer.

O - This isn't my favorite IPA in the world, but if you're looking for a lighter, more pungent IPA this is certainly worth a try. I've never tasted an Avery beer that I didn't like and this one is no different.. Quality. Period. The more I drink it, the more I like it to be honest... that's a good sign.

3.01/5  rDev -22.4%

It appears this brew has been around for quite a while, but this is the first I have found it in my market. Having lived in Ft. Collins many years ago, I was really excited to try this Avery. However, I am quite underwhelmed. The aroma is bready, slightly floral, with a bit of orange and pine. For an IPA it is more sweet than I had expected. The finish is very sharp, more so than I am used to, but not in a good way. I doubt I will be purchasing this one again. I give it a rank of around 40 in my top 50 IPAs (i.e. #3 IPA shelf).

4.54/5  rDev +17%

Beautiful golden color with a nice ivory colored lace that follows to the end of the glass. With a floral/grapefruity flavor this beer is easily drinkable and something I could never tire of easily. A super hoppy and refreshing beer that carries flavor throughout.Has a bit of a skunky bite towards the end and a flavor that will stick with your palate for a bit. A great and light IPA.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

A- Slighlty hazy gold. Pretty straight forward looking, nothing extremely intriguing. Lacing sticks nicely.

S- I'm really not getting a whole lot. It's like a malt with hop undertones. A little floral.

T- It's well done. A malty bouquet with a bite. Maybe faint fruit, but more of a floral nature to it.

M- Medium, fluffy, and a little dry. Pretty interesting.

D- I'd have another, but there's a lot of other IPA's I'd rather keep stocked.

It seems like this brew has all the right elements, but not the right execution of them. It has balance, it has character, and it has the right ingredients, but the real punch seems to be missing, which is pretty crucial to any IPA, even for non hopheads.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Forgot to check date. Pours a mostly clear orange with a nice head and lacing in the glass. Aroma and flavor both feature moderate orange-rind character. It's a solid effort, but it leaves me wanting a little more hop aroma and flavor.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A: You mean to tell me this is an IPA? Crystal clear and golden? With only the slight hint of a coppery hue? I call shenanigans. Half an inch of coarse, white head... Lacing looks good. But based on appearance, I would guess this was a Macro's attempt at a pale ale.

S: Slightly sweet, a little hoppy. Not picking much up here, but i'm fighting a stuffy nose.

T: Nice and bitter! This on the hoppy end of an APA for me... so I guess this could be considered an English IPA by some. I'll go ahead and roll with that description. It's good! Not earth shattering, but good! Very well balanced with and appropriate malt body. Infinitely sessionable...

M: Ultra-smooth feel - could be the abv slickness. Adequate carbonation. The bitterness creates a drying effect on the palate, but not so much that you end up licking the roof of your mouth.

Overall: Very good if it's an English IPA... If they're intending to compete with the best of the American IPAs, they've fallen very short. I would have this again, but I'm not in any hurry...

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a beautiful, clear, golden color with a finger width white head that dissipates to a thin film.

S - Citrus and floral with a hint of sweetness.

T - The hops are the star here, but there is also an enjoyable maltiness.

M - Very nice. Smooth (creamy even) medium bodied, and not over carbonated.

O - A solid IPA. Hop-forward with a complimenting maltiness. I will purchase this again.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured a great head that remained visible throughout the duration of beverage. Clear light amber hue.

Smells like I'm chilling in an orange grove, I really dig the citrus aromas here. The smells carry over to the tasting portion of the drink. Malt is evident, this is nice. Mouthfeel is great...creamy goodness, which is complemented by excellent head retention!

Smoothness along with strong citrus hop contribution makes for a very enjoyable drinking experience

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Very dark golden color almost orangish. Great 1-1.5 finger head that laces away beautifully.

S - Most noticable is a floral hoppy scent. A bit of citrus/grapefruit sifts through the hops.

T - Not huge flavor but plenty of hop pop. Hops are mostly up front giving way to a citrusy taste then a little more hop as it finishes cleanly with a great hoppy, roasty, dry finish.

M - A medium to full body liquid with mellow carbonation.

D - I would drink one or a few more. Would I go out of my way to pick it up? No, but I wouldn't mind having again.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Poured into a pint glass. A nice golden color with good head retention. Very nice lacing around the glass.

S: Hops and citus. Nice floral notes.

T: Good tasting, hoppy IPA.

M: Very nice. Not much carbonation.

O: Very good IPA. Another Colorado winner. I'll definitely enjoy this one again.

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%

Extremely clear golden/light amber color, decent 1 finger head.

Aroma is just a bit above average for an IPA, less than I expected. Citrus and pine and a bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is sharp, very small bubbles, good carbonation, burns my tongue a bit though. On the thin side.

Taste is also a bit thin for an IPA. There's a good amount of bitterness and meets expectations, but the malt it a little thin. A lot of resin flavor. When it warmed there was maybe a bit of tropical fruit.

My overall feeling is that this beer has been over-filtered and under-dry-hopped. To get a beer as clear as they have, you really have to be careful and know what you're doing to not lose all the important hop aroma and flavor that really make a contemporary American IPA. I'm guessing this is why it's so crystal clear but underwhelming in terms of hoppy flavor and aroma. There's quite a few breweries doing amazing stuff in this category and I don't think this one stands out in todays crowded IPA scene. It's a bit above average, but I've had lots of better ones.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company