Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) | Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

IBUs: 65

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

Ratings: 3,129 |  Reviews: 1,206
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

The color is golden copper with plenty of tiny bubbles for carbonation. The head is average-sized, but retains nicely. The aroma is of strong citris and floral hops, with a nice underlying malt sweetness. The hop flavors here are almost perfect. A sip starts with twangy citris hop that carries on strongly throughout leaving a wonderful, long-lasting finish. Midway through Avery IPA becomes sweeter as the tasty underlying malts make their presence felt. Bitterness seems to increase towards the finish along side a new dry hop flavor. This IPA is exactly what I want from the style, plenty of zesty hop flavor, with plenty of complexity, and an assertive malt presence for balance. This is one of my favorite IPAs to date.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Pours an oh-so clear golden hue with a splash of orange that looks reminiscent of apple juice. The last couple of weeks have been nothing but stouts and porters for me, so it's refreshing to see some sharp, crystal clear colors for a change. White foamy head, but it's dieing fast! Some great lacing throughout this beer's final moments.

Smell: A fruit medley (pineapple, mostly) mixed with piney hop aromas. I'm not picking up much (or any) malt in the nose.

Taste: A light, delicate flash of malt followed by a rushing tide of hop bitterness with a long, spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp and quiet thirst-quenching. Medium-light mouthfeel with a fair amount of carbonation. Not bad! It's got good...

Drinkability: While India Pale Ale is not my favored style, I'm really enjoying this, as its got just the right amount of hops for me. Definitely as sessionable as an IPA can be.

Thanks again, Avery!

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours apricot with 3+ fingers of khaki colored head. Very good head retention & lacing

S: Floral & lemony hops, some grapefruit, seems a bit restrained when compared to the bottled & draft versions

T: Follows the nose, slight mineral edge mixes with a touch of doughy bread up front. Caramel mixes with herbal & piney hops as this warms. Finishes with caramel sweetness & piney & herbal hop bitterness, almost pulled a 4.5

MF: Medium bodied, creamy, subdued carbonation

Having this & Ska Modus available as canned options thrill me. I do like this better from the bottle,but this could be a freshness issue since I really don't know how to translate the date coding

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.41/5  rDev -12.1%

Dark gold in color, fairly cloudy. Thin head but very nice lace.

Fresh mowed grass was the first aroma impression I had. Hop aromas come through at the very end.

Strong bitterness up front. It fades nicely to provide a nice malt-hop blend. The swallow provides more hop punch. The carbonation is slightly high; the body is in the moderate range.

A pleasurable IPA. Worthy of purchasing a six-pack.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DHF pint glass

A: Pours a bright orange with a 2 finger head, with lacing that settles very slowly, appearing down the entire glass.

S: A nice nose with a strong citrus/grapefruit aroma with a hint of malt. Classic IPA smell.

T: Nice floral hop driven taste. A nice bitter taste that I look for in an IPA with a little malt on the back end.

M/D: Great carbonation and a nice light mouthfeel. Very drinkable. I thoroughly enjoyed this IPA and look forward to having another soon.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Bumblebee yellow-amber. The beer is perfectly clear with a small number of fine floaters that resemble grapefruit pulp. The head is impressive. It's huge, almost pure white, and remains mountainous in the center, while sinking at the edges. Multiple rings of delicate lace put the appearance score over the top. An excellent look!

The nose is all about Styrian Goldings hops, an aroma (and a flavor) that I've come to love in Goose Island Honker's Ale. There isn't much else going on, but then there doesn't need to be. (Edit: I'm not sure what the hop bill was back in 2004, but these days (2009) it's comprised of Columbus, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial.)

The flavor is dominated by citrus zesty hops, which is as expected. I'm betting that some variety of hop complementary to Goldings is used as well, since this ale tastes noticeably different than Honker's. There's just enough malt to do the job, but not so much that it ruins the hop-heavy balance of the beer (that's balance from a hophead's perspective). The mouthfeel exudes quality in all respects.

I'm sure there are better American IPAs out there, but there probably aren't too many of them. Avery IPA is the real deal and makes me wish that it was available in my area of the country. The label shows the shipping route from England to India. Pretty cool considering the style.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

Found myself up in Asheville last night, (Beerfly reviews forthcoming) and stopped in a fine little BBQ establishment on the strip. Ordered my beer before dinner, as per usual. Didn't know what to get out of the 75 or so bottles they had, but then I remebered I had not ever tried Avery IPA(I can hardly believe it myself). So I figured what the ell and ordered up a bottle. A very nice looking bottle came out, nice old style map on the front gave it a "worldly" look. Please and ready to start I dove in straight away.

Poured a reasonably clear, after some settling, orange amber color. Lots of visible carbonation. A very nice one inch white head graced the top of the glass. This faded in a couple minutes, receding into a thin film along the top that stayed with the beer till the very end. Nice residual lace in rings down the glass as the session went on. Had a decently thick appearence for an IPA and definatly looked the part.

The smell was a citrus and sugar hop bomb. Overwhelming smell of orange and tangerine overpowered just about everything else. A slight hint of sugar could be detected a well, giving it the orange popsickle kinda tone. Hints of grapefruit of pineapple bitterness could be picked up as well as the smell of fresh grass. Exactly what I would have wanted my IPA to smell like.

Diving right in my first impression was holy hops! Bigtime grapefruit and orange peel were so pronounced I could just sit there and smile. A touch of sweetness rounded out the initial feel with a dry bitter finish that left me yearning for another sip. Very clean and crisp feel, gave this the feel of a finished product and something that has been mastered. Great carbonation on the feel gave it the silky, rolling smoothness that I crave in a good brew. A tiny bit of a earthy, grainy malt tried to force its way through the full frontal hop assault. Very nice tasting IPA, quite impressed with the flavor.

Overall I have to give this one pretty marks. It really was exactly what I wanted at that time and did not dissapoint at all. It was your classic west coast hop bomb of an IPA, and that is something that I just love. Definatly a winner from Avery, a damn fine finish brew.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a orange/golden color with one finger of fluffy white head that leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass, and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, fruity malts, and light pine hops. Pleasant but not overally hoppy.

t - Tastes of grapefruit and citrus hops up front, with some definite bitterness. Also some fruity malts, pine, light spice, and light floral notes. More pine than the smell.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, bitter up front.

d - A pretty good IPA from Avery. The taste is a bit bitter and I prefer Maharaja (even though that's a DIPA), but would drink this again. Definitely worth checking out.

The CANQuest (TM) is rolling right along this evening, thanks to an end-of-the-school-year sigh of relief and my desire to rededicate my efforts to reviewing beers in a CAN. I bought some Avery CANs at Pinocchio's in Media and Onenote81 sent me some more, so they became the evening's focus.

From the CAN: "Hop Freaks Unite!" That reminds me - today is Flag Day and I am definitely interested in flying my Hop Freak Flag this evening. "Our IPA is an intense hop experience straight from the [CAN]! Settle back and savor the citrusy. floral bouquet and the rich, malty, yet dry finish. Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads."; "Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops, and yeast." Hell, yeah!

The Crack & Glug resulted in a finger-and-a-half of rocky, tawny head that immediately began to fall, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow that would have made both King Midas and Croesus envious, plus it evidenced NE-quality clarity. Nose was straight up hops, yo!

Understand, I copped for years to having a hops habit that elevated me above simple "Hop Head" status. I was given to putting hops pellets on my tongue and swigging an AAL for the rush (no lie!) and I had a hops jones at times that sent me flying into brewpubs while traveling around just to get at an IPA to quiet the chattering monkey on my back. I was following the hops reps around just to get a taste of the latest hybrid since the standards weren't getting it done. I would call in sick because I couldn't get enough hops to last me through the day. I was a sick individual until The CANQuest (TM) and its attendant steady diet of AALs and AMLs slowly weaned me off of the insidious hummus lupulin. I was cured, brothers and sisters, cured! Do you hear me? Until a night like tonight, when I let my guard down and Wham!, the monkey is right back and I am sucking down an AIPA like it is water and I am reaching for another and I ain't going in tomorrow ...

Whoa! Like, I said, nose was floral and minty/grassy and I was sent, man. Coming back down, the mouthfeel was meaningless as I just wanted the sweet, sweet taste of hops running around on my tongue and down my throat. Yeah, that's it, give it to me, baby! CAN't they just CAN hops extract for people like me? Why do I gotta go through this torture? It had a beautiful taste, grassy, minty, slightly piney and I felt like a hops virgin again. Finish was when when I sat back and started licking the lacing out of the glass. My sponsor is on his way over, but I think that it is too late. I'm filling a cooler with this, tooling over to Hops (not Skid) Row, picking up my buddies and we're going surfing on hops down at the beach. Look for us, we're the pasty guys all huddled around the cooler with our eye out for The Man.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The pour is an orange-ish color with about a finger's worth of white head and some streaks of lacing.

S: A good citrus note to the aroma. It's more of a rind/peel sort of smell, with some piney notes that provide sort of an oily, resinous character to the whole beer.

T: Though the nose lead me to believe this would be a very bitter IPA, it was rather controlled in this aspect. Yes, there is a solid bitter pine flavor as well as some grapefruit rind, but it's not overpowering. A mild malt character, but it's not really sweet at all.

M: The body is medium with a fairly lively carbonation and a bit of bitterness lingering on the tongue.

D: This was a decent IPA, but it doesn't quite stack up with some of the offerings I've become accustomed to here in Southern California.

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

I can't believe I haven't officially set down my thoughts on this stuff yet. Go figure. It pours a clear golden-amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises sharp pine, strong grapefruit, and a kiss of mild honey. I have this sneaking suspicion that some hops have been added to this beer... The taste brings in more of the same, with the grapefruit, complete with peel, stealing the limelight. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, a somewhat simple, yet very tasty and satisfying, IPA. Good times.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Sixer of cans from Whole Foods in Alexandria, VA.

An exceptionally good looking beer, Avery IPA is crystal clear and teeming with effervescence. The head is a solid inch thick, displaying lasting retention and leaving ample lacing on the pint glass.

The aroma consists of pine, hops, earthy malts, and citrus, respectively.

Nice flavor, with hops in the forefront, though there is a healthy malt showing as well. The beer is more of an earthy, piney IPA, as opposed to a tropical fruits and tangy citrus IPA. As the beer warms, malt begins to emerge and gain equal footing with the hop character. I prefer American IPAs to be all about the hops, neglecting balance.

The feel is medium bodied, fuller than is customary for a single IPA, with appropriate carbonation. The finish brings a lasting bitterness and tangy, earthy malts.

Overall, a decent brew. I'd have it again.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

Huh oooohhh! What did we find here...a member of the Zombie Dustlike family. This is very good IPA!!!! The appeance is a pale copper color that is clear with a thin white head that is lacing! The smell is hops...citric definitely....and some malt. The taste is very good...although the malt takes over too soon for me on the pallet. The beer clears the pallet clean and makes for a very smooth beer. I will certainly have this beer again if I can! Definitely worth a try for all you 3 Floyds Z'Dust fans.

***I just checked the website at the hop is not citric....which is a surprise to me....but Casscade, Chinook, columbus, and centinniel.****

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company